Anonymous
Years ago

Utah Jazz claim Joe Ingles off waivers

Joe Ingles has just been claimed off waivers by Utah ! :)

http://www.slcdunk.com/2014/10/27/7080011/utah-jazz-claim-forwards-jordan-hamilton-and-joe-ingles-off-of

Topic #35755 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Much better situation for Joey if he sticks there, playing for a young flakey roster with a promising head coach.

His pre-season with the Clippers was absolutely terrible so he's pretty lucky to get this chance.

An interesting aside: it will be super frustrating for Ingles to be behind Dante Exum in the depth chart all of a sudden...

Reply #500105 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Yet another Aussie signed by my Jazz! It's a shame we waived Motum!

He looks a good chance to make the 15 man roster too as we've waived Carrick Felix to make room for him and Jordan Hamilton. The only concern is Jordan Hamilton is signficantly better than Ingles and unless we want two small forwards I don't see Ingles sticking around. Having said that, the report also mentioned that Ingles was a good friend of Exum's and has acted as a mentor for him while in the Australian camp.

Jazz depth chart looks like this.

C Kanter/Gobert
PF Favors/Booker/Evans
SF Hayward/Hood/Novak/Hamilton/Ingles
SG Burks/Clark/Murry
PG Burke/Exum

I hope he sticks around!

Reply #500111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah i think this is a little bit of a friend for young dante thing. Either way make it work.

Reply #500112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This situation is better than Ingles at LAC. He actually has a chance at making the rotation and really has to beat out Toure Murry and Jordan Hamilton for that spot. And when you look at Ingles is really a poor man's Gordan Hayward as a wing who can distribute the ball and spot up outside. Would be a good backup.

My rotation would be
PG - Burke / Exum / Clark
SG - Burks / Hood
SF - Hayward / Ingles
PF - Favors / Novak / Booker / Evans
C - Kanter / Gobert

I would dump Murry and Hamilton and get another big (has you wondering why they waived Brock).

Reply #500113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Jazz are in desperate need of floor spacers who can also play D. They have two shooters in Novak and Clark, neither of whom can guard anyone. If Ingles can make 3's and be a better defender than those two, I think he'll stick and get to play.

I think the danger for him is that if he doesn't look good early, he's going to be benched in favour of ineffective younger guys as the Jazz try to build the value of those guys as trade chips. I see plenty of similarities between Ingles and Hood, but Hood is 5 years younger.

Reply #500137 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Added to that..many Utah fans were actually mad that Motum got cut.

They rated him quite highly.

They are very frustrated with Kanter though.

Reply #500162 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

They should trade Kanter for sure, and even listen to offers for Favors IMO.

I think if you're going to go with the Burke / Burkes / Hayward / Favors core, then that guy playing the four spot has to be a top 8 talent AT LEAST if you want to be seriously competing for championships in the future. And Kanter ain't gonna get anywhere near there. We still have no idea what position Exum is going to play when he's fully developed, let alone how good he is going to be, so you have to hedge that bet if you're the Jazz..

They are trying to combat the floor-spacing issues by using Kanter as a stretch four, but despite an improved outside stroke, he's yet to prove that he can hit the long-ball at a good enough strike rate, and lord knows he's too slow to guard opposing 4s.

Snyder looks to be a really smart coach, so you'll see what they are all capable of in a proper system soon enough.

Tyrone Corbin was a godawful NBA coach, so a lot of these guys were asked to do stupid things that weren't conducive to making them look good. Hayward has already looked a lot better without being asked to carry the world on his shoulders.

Really interesting crossroads for this franchise. I don't think this core that they are betting on tops out as a contender unless every single young guy eclipses their projected ceiling, which is highly unlikely.

I'd be shaking it up a little.

Reply #500180 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

They should trade Kanter for sure, and even listen to offers for Favors IMO.

I think if you're going to go with the Burke / Burkes / Hayward / Favors core, then that guy playing the four spot has to be a top 8 talent AT LEAST if you want to be seriously competing for championships in the future. And Kanter ain't gonna get anywhere near there. We still have no idea what position Exum is going to play when he's fully developed, let alone how good he is going to be, so you have to hedge that bet if you're the Jazz..

They are trying to combat the floor-spacing issues by using Kanter as a stretch four, but despite an improved outside stroke, he's yet to prove that he can hit the long-ball at a good enough strike rate, and lord knows he's too slow to guard opposing 4s.

Snyder looks to be a really smart coach, so you'll see what they are all capable of in a proper system soon enough.

Tyrone Corbin was a godawful NBA coach, so a lot of these guys were asked to do stupid things that weren't conducive to making them look good. Hayward has already looked a lot better without being asked to carry the world on his shoulders.

Really interesting crossroads for this franchise. I don't think this core that they are betting on tops out as a contender unless every single young guy eclipses their projected ceiling, which is highly unlikely.

I'd be shaking it up a little.

Reply #500181 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also: do you sell high on Rudy Gobert after his World Cup and nice pre-season or hold onto him in the hope that his form translates to the big boy games?

Rodney Hood looks good as well. They have some key pieces but they need to make a couple of moves before they settle on a core.

Reply #500182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Utah will be playing for draft picks this year, so I think they should keep Favors and Kanter, play them a lot, inflate their stats and then look to dump one of them at the end of the season for another dominate wing player. I like Gobert as a back up as he blocks shots, finishes at the rim and rebounds.

Combine the trade with hopefully a top 3 pick for a bad season and they will either get Jahil Okafor or Karl Towns and have an elite big guy on the roster.

2015-2016 line up could look like

PG - Exum / Burke
SG - TRADED PLAYER from a big / Burks
SF - Hayward / Hood
PF - TOP 3 PICK (Towns) / stretch 4 (Novak, Booker or Evans)
C - Favors or Kanter / Gobert

The other option is that they package a heap of players together and try and get Jabari Parker who the Jazz are in love with.

Reply #500190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way Milwaukee trade Jabari for anything Utah has. Maybe if Utah win the lottery? But Jabari is a known commodity on a rookie deal and Milwaukee have a reasonable chance of retaining him at the end of it.

I don't know about the draft getting Utah what they need this year, either. Neither Towns nor Okafor is really a stretch-anything, which is going to be hard to fit with any two of Favors/Kanter/Gobert (assuming they trade 1).

If Myles Turner has a decent season at Texas and they can trade down to get him as a stretch 4, that might work. Or do as Mick suggested and sell high on Gobert, draft Towns or Okafor, and try to turn Kanter into something vaguely useful either by way of development or trade. But surely Utah's biggest needs are floor spacing and defence? Could they steal a young defender like Avery Bradley? That might be a draft option if they get a top-3 pick and the Celtics have something in the 8-10 range - Utah's top 3 pick for the Celtics' pick and Bradley? Charlotte and MKG if they fail to meet internal expectations? Hope Hood can make shots at the rate he did at Duke and that Exum develops as a shooter.

Exum/Burke
Burks/Bradley or MKG
Hayward/Hood
Turner/Kanter or trade
Favors/Gobert

Reply #500209 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If Exum shows enough as a PG/SG I can seen them throwing up Burks or Burke into a trade with either Kanter or Favours for another top draft pick or combination of picks/player.

I think they move 1 of Favours or Kanter and keep Gobert as the back up.

They love Parker but so does the Bucks and they aren't moving him.

I'd love to see Utah make a move for Monroe or Smith at the Pistons - i.e for Burks or Burke/Kanter or Favours

Reply #500215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are the haters now?

Reply #500221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're hating on Childress

Reply #500242 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Great to see Jazz recognise Ingles talents and sign him, hopefully he works hard and earns a spot of the active players list.

Where to for Motum?

I really think if given the chance, Motum will impress and surprise some, he seems like a hard worker with talent and is an adept scorer. He definitely seems more aggressive a scorer than Ingles who has a tendency of playing passive.

Reply #500302 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754