Anonymous
Years ago

Wildcats Ops Manager becomes Hawks GM

A great read:

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2014/10/17/4109251.htm

Topic #35760 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good article, but surely getting club members shouldn't be a new strategy to NBL clubs. I mean AFL clubs have been doing memberships drives for the last decade and appealing to fans to become members to keep the club afloat. And then they have teams of people ensuring that members keep renewing year on year.

If the NBL clubs are only realising this, then no wonder the league is in trouble.

Reply #500224 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Excellent Article thanks for posting.

You are right Anonymous. The league I think sometimes lacks that drive needed to get to that professional level.

Im sure Kim Welch armed with some new and useful marketing resources will really start pitching the Hawks to a wider audience. I wouldnt be surprised if that audience tends to be more family orientated, as that is exactly the Market the Wildcats have wanted. They arnt as concerned with the members of the public who are true BBall devotees but more with the families and kids.

Reply #500228 | Report this post

CatsFan  
Years ago

Sorry, this post is irrelevant to the thread but it made me wonder, does anyone know where Simon Devlin has been over the past few weeks? I haven't noticed him at any home games so far!

Reply #500235 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Good to see people who have seen the inner workings of Perth's system finding front office work elsewhere in the NBL, it can only be good for the league.

Now can Perth send someone else from their front office to Townsville to become their GM and clean up the smelly mess up there?

Reply #500255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't it be great if Nick Marvin could spend a week each with each of the other 7 NBL clubs?

Im sure his input would be invaluable.

Because remember one thing, its great that the Wildcats are doing very well financially but if other clubs don't pick up soon, there will be no NBL and no Wildcats (no competition for them to play against = no Wildcats)

Reply #500279 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Surely all the GMs would already be in constant contact or regularly meet about issues.

Marvin has been very involved at the NBL org level and in fact has stepped down recently.

Reply #500295 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

What I find interesting about the article is the suggestion that the Community Model is 'survival mode'.

Wollongong was a Community Model and played playoffs.

Is it possible for a Community Model team to be 'professional and succeed?

Anyone have any insight into the workings of a Community Model?

Reply #500304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did Nick Marvin step down?

Reply #500307 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

According to Marvin's interview on the Downtown podcast, the various club front offices are in constant contact, sharing ideas.

Reply #500350 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Why did Nick step down? His term of employment there came to a close.. they have so many years of appointment and then have to seek the job again. Perhaps he decided it was time for someone else to step up.

What I find interesting about Nick is that he is from a Management ground, not a Basketball background and he really knew nothing about the game when he became the GM at the Wildcats.

How often have we seen people grumble at sporting clubs around World/Aus about such people being shot into clubs and be complained about because they dont know much about the game or rules. Personally I think its much better idea not to have them involved because just because they played basketball dosnt mean they know anything about running a basketball club.

Reply #500375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats front office are nothing special. They are at a club with the strongest supporter base and waiting years for the new stadium to be built. At Challenge most games were sellouts remember. The old Entertainment Centre capacity was only 8k who knows back in the 90s heyday they could have packed in 20k but never had a facility to try.

Any front office person who leaves has none of those benefits at this new gig, wait and see guys he is nothing special NBL has always done well in Perth. Bendat, Perth Arena and the Wildcat supporter base make Nick Marvin and co. look good.

Reply #500622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a load of crap. The PEC was anything but full in the final years. Is the NBL so much bigger now than it was in 2002? No. So the club must have done something right to double the amount to people going to games despite a decade of decline in the league in the interim.
Best of luck to Welch at the Hawks.

Reply #500624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did I say 2002, 90s were referenced.

The rest of your post states my entry was total crap but you don't address any of the points, only "X will do fine" LOL you are a joke!

Reply #500625 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"At Challenge most games were sellouts remember."
Not when Bendat and Marvin came in, they weren't.

"NBL has always done well in Perth."
The NBL did well in Perth from 87-97ish, and has done well in Perth for the past five or six years. That's about it.

"Bendat, Perth Arena and the Wildcat supporter base make Nick Marvin and co. look good."
Right, it's not Bendat and Marvin that have done the work to build that supporter base, the supporter base has worked to build Bendat and Marvin. That makes complete sense.

Reply #500628 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Wildcats' down years were from 98 to 2005, with the in-season resurgence in 99/00, resulting in an underdog type championship being the silver lining in what was a pretty lean era for the club.

The Cats were very close to folding at various times during that period. Crowd's were around 3000 ish at Challenge Stadium. Marvin and Bendat came on board and the club's re-birth eventuated.

So yes, give credit to Marvin, and give credit to Vlahov as well for keeping the club afloat. Cats were huge in the 90's, like every other club was too.

Reply #500637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Challenge was 4k capacity, so 3k is not folding with the cheaper rent. Stop over exaggerating. and yes Vlahov did a lot more than the current crop in charge but gets less credit. Mind boggling. Imagine if Vlahov held on and moved to Perth Arena, same thing would happen now. Marvin right place right time with sugar daddy money.

Reply #502555 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

21 people on the staff at the cats FFS why so many. They are profitable and could be more profitable if they cut a few....
Game night producer. Is that seriously a full time job?
Graphic designer and SENIOR graphic designer. Seriously?
Merchandise manager? Video producer?
Events and game night manager, don't they have a game night producer?
More staff than players and support staff. oh wait they have 6 staff for the team.

Reply #502567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they didn't have those staff, they wouldn't produce the quality off court stuff which helps keep the members and fans interested, so no they wouldn't be more profitable.

Reply #502569 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Game night producer. Is that seriously a full time job?"
Do you have any reason to believe they treat it as one?

Reply #502570 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cats were only kept alive for many years by people digging deep into their own pockets, that's definitely one definition of close to folding.

Reply #502573 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Not over exaggerating at all. There was also that time when Vlahov as then owner gave the players an ultimatum - take a 30% pay cut or be released. Several players left, while some stayed. Alan Black was let go. This was 2004 after they made the GF.

The next year they went 15-18, probably averaged 3,000 a game and were ignored in the media.

Had they not made those tough unpopular decisions, they would have shut their doors for sure, until Bendat came on board. Vlahov did a great job keeping the club going which was all he wanted to do.

Reply #502582 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

If they are paying the girl who does the voice over @ breaks in play.....I will pay for her not to speak.

Could be worth a few K a game....it's like nails on a blackboard.

Reply #502586 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Do you have any reason to believe they treat it as one?"
Check out the wildcats website like I did.

"If they didn't have those staff, they wouldn't produce the quality off court stuff which helps keep the members and fans interested, so no they wouldn't be more profitable."
That's a stupid statement to make.
By assumption then everyone else in the NBL is wasting their time then.

Reply #502594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think I'm wasting my time reading any more of your nonsense.

Reply #502598 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you want to run a professional operation and fill the gaps, you need staff. You could do something simpler cheaper, but if they can afford it, go for it. No point sitting on their hands while the crowds are there. They're working to maintain it.

Do you have any reason to believe they treat it as one?"
Check out the wildcats website like I did.
That lists a staff member with that job title, but doesn't indicate that it's a full time role?

Reply #502614 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754