Fellas
Years ago

Urgent, quality officials who have quit

mid week games in div 3, 4 and 5 continue to be called by either one ref or called off because of the lack of umpires.

I know Neil Poulton has been sending out emails to the list of umps but no one seems interested in doing the games.

If you have quit for whatever reason it would be good to hear why on this forum.

I am sure everyone would agree it would be good for the comp to have some of the level 2 umps come back to ref

even if each person was to only come back for one night per week this would help basketball in sa and who knows you might find you enjoy it and or missed it.

maybe you know some one who has quit and why and you can write on there behalf

thoughts?

Topic #3577 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea.

Lets get back some f those ref's who have gone missing for 1 rason or another.

There must be a bunch out there who could help ou in this time of crisis.

Lend a hand. Hopefully Neil can bring something to the plate.

Give him a call at BASA 8444 6444

Reply #41582 | Report this post

Fellas  
Years ago

Some things for you to know.

Pay rates have increased a little

The ABA is better than eva at the moment and there is opourtunity to crack it in to the Aba after some stong performances in Div 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Players and coaches have improved 10 fold and are not so abusive these days. they just want a honest performance

Reply #41584 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

What i find strange about the refereeing situation at the moment is some games of social i have seen where there are grown men playing with the game being called by young (ie 12 years old) kids.

What would happen if a fight broke out and these kids got caught up in it?

Insurance? placing employees in danger?

Reply #41585 | Report this post

Fellas  
Years ago

Noti Bagy - What stadia are you talking about? surly there is a older umpire on the court also???

some of the best umpires started when they were 11 years old

Reply #41589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well its gotten to the point where it is those 12 year old kids or no one.

Other more qualified and older refs have left cuz they're sick of the shit they cop and the pay.

Referee's are always told not to try and get inbetween players to stop a fight.

There's a UIC for those type of problems.

Reply #41595 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

I hear Hollywood Mal Cooper is now living it up in the city of churches and is looking for a gig. Is phone number is 1800 HOLLYWOOD

Reply #41612 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Mal was a great ref when i played in Eltham and Dandenong .. bring it on. You could pay him in his beverage of choice, he is the most "social" referee going around.

Reply #41613 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Imagine at your job if someone abused you and heckled you everytime you made a decision, imagine if you started this job at 13-17 years of age, you would want to quit and never return

This has been debated a thousand and one times, but BASA should bring in a complete zero tolerence, all coaches, players and spectators should no the rules, so why warn them? No warnings and that's it your out! One strike only, ref's will feel like they have power and coaches wont like the cold and maybe then they'll shut up and let basketball be played

Want more refs? Stop abusing them when they start, stop abusing them all together

Reply #41656 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

I agree with the stop abusing ref's policy but the problem is if u start telling ref's to throw tech's around then when they grow up and start doing higher level games how are you meant to teach them game management. Think about one of these ref's growing up and in their first ABA game having Dean Kingmens or Mark Wallace. A tech the first time either of them open their mouths. lol

Reply #41660 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

Referees need to be protected, but coaches and players want consistency.

I have always noticed a huge increase in the strictness of umpires when it comes to social Finals... why do they decide to become super-whistle happy during social finals and be complacent during minor round games???

I dont know what the pay rates are for refs but this may have something to do with it and teh current crisis???

Food For Thought: What is the average age of the UIC's throughout BASA stadiums, and does this affect their mobility to get out of the Umpire's Room and around the courts to watch games???

The other day one of my players was run into by the opposition - i thought it was a charge. (both players fell over and the opp player lost control of the ball, her teammate gained possession). i asked the ref about the no-call and the reply was it was a block. So why didnt she call the foul on my player??? CONSISTENCY.

Reply #41666 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

I am not just talking about Thursday night matches, coaches have no right to abuse anyone anywhere, as does anyone else, protection of ref's is vital

Seriously, who wants a job where they get abused, when they could easily go out and get a better paid job and never get abused

Basketball can not be played with out ref's people!

Reply #41677 | Report this post

Fellas  
Years ago

Degenerate, i see where you are coming from however there are rules in place to protect the umps. simply let the player/coach know they have gone too fare and if they continue "T" them up.

Reply #41714 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

We could debate this topic over and over again and when it comes down to it some idiot in the third row will still stand up and heckle refs. I agree with zero tolerance and this will bring more refs in, then refs get on a power trip and coaches get annoyed again, refs loose control and we are back where we started.

Reply #41766 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

I agree with Freddy, becuase he is agreeing with me :)

But seriously, the coaches should know the rules, ref's are afraid to T coaches, instead they argue with them, you do not have a convo with the ref during game time, I just want to see a ref turn around and just T the idiot, whether they're the coach or idiot in the first row

Reply #41767 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Speaking social, is anyone playing Thursday nights at Pasadena? Haven't been out for a while and am keen to know what's happening.

Reply #41770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw the old Moses make a return a few weeks ago ;)

Your team is still as strong as ever.
But as usual the Summer season is always better.

Reply #41771 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

So are the old farts still getting the job done?

Reply #41786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yeah. Won by 30 odd this week. Didn't miss from the 3 point line.

Reply #41807 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754