Isaac
Years ago

36ers sign Richie Edwards, likely to suit Sunday

The Adelaide 36ers have recruited the services of New Zealand native, Richie Edwards to fill the spot of Mitch Creek, who has been placed on injury waivers.

Edwards, 24, played college basketball with Valparaiso and Arizona State and was named 'Rookie of the Year' of the NZNBL last season playing for the Canterbury Rams.
Full story

Good on them for acting quickly and getting someone here hopefully for Sunday.

Topic #35770 | Report this topic

Ben  
Years ago

He's in the air at the moment so will definitely be there Sunday

Reply #500406 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Nice work in getting someone in, what points ranking is he?? can he stay with the team in an 11 man roster once Creek returns?? (a bit like the hawks have done adding in Neville)

Hopefully they can also get Motum, would put is back to contenders, especially with the form Melbourne are in.

Reply #500407 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

was thinking with 4 injuries we need someone sunday

Reply #500408 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Great work by the Sixers management.

Good coverage, but hoping the Creek Dogg is back on the court soon and not stuck at home on the X Box

Reply #500414 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Love the fact the 36ers acted swiftly on covering Creek. Will be interesting to see how he fits in.

Reply #500416 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Jonno...I agree, would be worth a try if possible!

Alternatively, would you demote Daly to be able to fit Edwards in (assuming he is good) once Creek returns but still pay Daly and keep him training and as insurance for the guards?

Reply #500417 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Whoa thats a lot of Tattoo's!

Reply #500421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, why bother with Edwards? He's a young kid and will get to play f'all time. It's a 40min game. Daly, Gibson, Crawford, Teys can easily cover it and I'm sure would relish the increased opportunity.

Reply #500422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The story on the 36ers site has been pulled?

Reply #500423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh my bad there it is you've got to scroll right down to it

Reply #500424 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

creek doing a bitta training now

Reply #500425 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea your alternative is also a good way of getting it done.

I personally love the fact that we have gone outside the box and got a 'local/NZ' american instead of just the Perth's of this world thinking outside the box and signing these types of players, great move by the 36ers imo.

If he can just replicate his college stats prior to moving to Arizona 9pts, 3rbds, 49%FR, 38%3PFG in just 18 minpg, which should be possible then he will be a very handy addition imo.

Reply #500426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he gets court time he will score plenty

Reply #500430 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Daly, Gibson, Crawford, Teys can easily cover it and I'm sure would relish the increased opportunity."

yeah but they probably wanted to win some games.

Reply #500433 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Mystro did you see him play in NZ?? if you did, what you think of him?

Reply #500435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Edwards can score. He's a 3/4. Good pick up as an injury replacement

Reply #500437 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

If he is so highly rated then why didn't the Breakers get him?

Reply #500438 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Breakers have Abercrombie, Vukona, Te Rangi, etc. Maybe weren't in such need of an attitude guy. 36ers are in a different situation with an injury to a 15 PPG (so far!) starter.

Reply #500439 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They didn't get him because of his attitude, same reason the Tall Blacks didn't want him.

Reply #500444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't play any meaningful minutes so why waste the money?

Reply #500455 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I don't think it's a bad idea to try him out. For starters Adelaide only have eight guys available so susceptible to foul trouble or further injury, and Edwards have talent, so why not see what he can do while Creek is out?

Reply #500456 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Deserves a shot at NBL imo won't be expected to match Creeks numbers but should still make s good contribution

Reply #500462 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea no harm in trying,

Id give him and Montreal plenty of the SF/pf minutes to really see what they can do, so your not left wondering when the decision comes on whether or not to keep them longer term.

Reply #500466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check out an interview with the 6ers new signing Richie Edwards... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fLjudcxRqE

Reply #500480 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I've only seen a little bit of him, def isn't scared to put shots up.

anyone else think Peter Crawford is nothing more than a passenger on this Sixers team?

Reply #500484 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

PC has said in post match interviews that he is still learning the system and where he fits and understands that to get more minutes under Joey Wrights structure he needs to play better defence...

PC is one of the few players i have heard interview in the apollo restaurant who tells it like it is... doesnt hold back need more people like him in the league instead of the robots telling us what we want to hear/expect to hear...

Reply #500487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How has PC been a passenger ? So many rubbish comments.

Reply #500488 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Creek out for 6 weeks apparently,
Wilson out with hamstring for 1 or whatever weeks?
DQ battling hip flexor issue,
Petrie possibly battling right calf/leg issue?

are those the 4 injuries?

Reply #500547 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I think the 4th injury Camel would have been referring to is DP Sam Johns, who played pretty well in the pre-season.

Reply #500558 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Edwards has been a bit of an enigma.

Averaged 9.4ppg a few seasons ago at Valpo.

Massive potential. Is a microwave..can heat up and score in bunches.

He was heavily recruited out of High School in the USA.

Defence fairly non-existant.

But if you want a true, scoring swingman - here is your man.

Reply #500662 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:29 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754