TANSTAAFL
Years ago

The Advertiser on Thursdays

Very quiet on the basketball front in The Advertiser today...

Topic #3581 | Report this topic

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

I'm guessing TANSTAAFL stands for something, and I'm guessing the 'F' is an abbreviation of the word "firetruck".

Is it: Thursday's Advertiser Never Sucked This Amount - (the) AFL (sux)

Or: Toes Are Never So Tasty After A Firetrucking Licking

Reply #41619 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's occasionally used on the net -- seen it a few times before, but first time on here(?) -- There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch. Sorry to dampen your enthusiastic efforts.

Reply #41621 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Isaac,

Thanks for that. I now need to get busy creating my own acronym which takes a meaningless phrase and turns it into a nonsensical word, like a TANSTAAFL or even DILLIGAF.

Reply #41623 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DILLIGAF isn't obscure enough...

Reply #41624 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Hmmm, you're right.

*toils away in acronym laboratory*

TBTS (Too Bad, Too Sad)?
OYBP (On Your Bike, Pal)?
IAQOA (It's A Question Of Accuracy)? - thanks Dennis Commetti

Reply #41625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there was nothing in last Thurs paper either

Reply #41633 | Report this post

Dougie  
Years ago

Yeah, I can't believe that the Bowley Alignment and the Foul Off didn't get a mention.

Reply #41644 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

May as well file all of those acronyms in the SSB (Stiff Sh@$ Book) Satish
this one gets used around our office so much i amagine the shelves are full of SSB's

Reply #41659 | Report this post

AsIseeIt  
Years ago

Must confess- my first move after finally getting the glued-on glad wrap off Tiser was to look for the basketball info. Next move was to check on front page that it was Thursday.
Perhaps Boti needs an apprentice or the Tiser needs to check out HOOPS to get some B/ball stories

Reply #41680 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I rang the 'tiser yesterday and Boti is back next week.
Yeehaaa!
I reckon the last guy who tried to write about basketball for the Advertiser got his fingers badly burnt and won't risk it again.
Interesting how many people on here complain about Boti's writing (I'm NOT one of them.
At least we get a page of news every Thursday even if some people can't see the humour in it.
I think it's pathetic that the Advertiser didn't even mention how the Crocs or Opals are going overseas or even that Paul Rees has resigned. (Or did I miss it?)

Reply #41707 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Re-signed even......Doh!

Reply #41708 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Small write up on tonight's West v Eastern games.

Dale Fletcher should do some contract work for the Advertiser when Boti is away. He knows his stuff, especially local ball. He currently writes on Bearcats website and for the Messenger. I think he posts on here as The Journo, correct me if I'm wrong.

Dale, I hope you don't mind me revealing your secret identity. Contact the Advertiser, be pro-active. The basketball public in SA is too knowledgable to let sub-standard articles to be written without criticism. I always read your work knowing it's well researched and accurate. I think Boti would agree. I think he would be disappointed in the crap that's been written in his absence.

In all fairness to Daniel Lato, he obviously has been given the task of a fill-in whilst Boti is away. But, the Advertiser has no excuse. A little bit of research would show that there are quality journos out there who can and want to write about SA Basketball. They could pay them per article as a free-lance journo.

See you at the game tonight Dale.

Reply #41710 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Thanks mate, my secret is revealed!

I do contribute the ABL articles to the Messenger on the West Adelaide games, and if it doesn;t make to print, then the article can be read every Monday moring on the Bearcats NEW homepage.

I worked for the Messenger over the summer and some of you may remember the feature on the Under-20 State teams which i did, which cause a bit of a stir on this site.

It is tough in such a football minded town that local basketball (ABL) would rarely get a mention.

Maybe a results write up in the small end of the sports section would be the amount of time The Advertiser would spend on the ABL.

If a Farley or Maher or both played in the competition, to give the league some known players to the public, I think the media would pay the ABL more attention.

As long as the Power and the Crows are doing well, then nothing much more gets a look in.

Reply #41723 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

With Oscar making the Boomers squad, we can now say we have an Australian representative in the ABL. McKay is a 2 time Olympian, although DC would say it was back when men wrestled naked and chariot racing was a marquee event

Reply #41733 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:29 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754