Topic #35826 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

I think Simmons will be a 4.

Reply #501491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree..
He's got more than just a post and mid range game.

The future front court is:
Sf Simmons
Pf Maker
C Humphries

Reply #501495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2144481-much-more-than-a-scorer-why-ben-simmons-will-be-a-special-cbb-superstar

Reply #501497 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

I think Maker will be part of 2019 world cup team but rest of the team looks about right.

Reply #501503 | Report this post

bball4all  
Years ago

I think simmons would look much better at the 3 but he can also create a mismatch at the 4 if needed.
In saying that he is pretty much a mismatch at the 3 as well with his size.

Reply #501506 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Maker already looks like a better ballhandler than some of our guards...

Reply #501508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After watching the world cup, there is no way you could put Kunek in that team. What made the Opals great was their chemistry and unselfishness.

What about Penaluna? Will she be back from injury in time to be considered?

Reply #501510 | Report this post

the fox  
Years ago

Make Bishop a lock for Opals

Reply #501513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talbot over kunek then. She Has done great things so far this wnbl season.

If there is a 3rd point guard position, it will be an interesting choice.
Lavey, cole, toddhunter, Clydesdale, Wilson, I'm sure are all In the mix. Madgen and ebzery are also possibly being moulded into pg's.

I'd prefer to just let Taylor or ohea bring the ball up if necessary than to add a 3rd pg to the squad who will most likely not contribute a whole lot.

Reply #501514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2016 Olympics is a long way away so not sure you could lock in a team yet. I would prefer it if Basketball Australia did the same thing USA do and name a squad of players who will be considered for the games. If you need other players based on team need you can add them to the squad (like this year with Rudy Gay, Miles Plumlee). But I think having a set squad each off season to work together and play other nations in practice games would build the team work.

If I were to pick a 25 man squad to go train for Rio I would choose

PG - Mills / Delly / Exum / Gibson / Greenwood
SG - Broekhoff / Goulding / Drmic / Gliddon / Steindl
SF - Ingles / Newley / Simmons / Creek / Blanchfield
PF - Baynes / Bairstow / Motum / Thon Maker / Dan Johnson
C - Bogut / Ogilvy / Maric / Jawai / Nevill

I would say Isaac Humphries, Jack McVeigh, Deng Adel and Jonah Bolden are too young to be considered for 2016 and would miss the squad with Dante, Simmons and Thon Maker being the only really juniors in the squad.

All these players would be too old to be bench warmers at the games: Damian Martin, Steven Markovic, Rhys Martin, Ben Madgen, Lucas Walker, David Barlow, Mark Worthington, Jesse Wagstaff, Shawn Redhage, Matt Knights, Anthony Petrie, Alex Loughton, Oscar Forman, David Andersen, Daniel Kickert, Cam Tragardh, Luke Schenscher and Larry Davidson.

Reply #501515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek has been injured and out for the past 6 mtns, I'd say her stats for the past two games show she's more than worthy of a spot in the opals squad remember she was going to be in that worlds team had she not been injured

Reply #501516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brendan Joyce said the other day that bishop was too short and was best suited to the 3 position in the international game. But, by switching her to the 3 she becomes to slow to guard other sf''s. Burton is much faster at getting up and down the court, she is longer and taller and apparently a better 4. Clearly doesn't have the same stats bishop does though..... Ones better at offense.. The other at defense and we know Joyce prefers the latter.
Francis has more versatility, can play outside, better defender... And can also play the centre spot if necessary. Has very similar stats to bishop.

It's going to be:
PF Jackson 6'5/burton 6'4/Francis 6'4

Over the likes of 6'3 bishop, 6'3 hodges, 6'4 penaluna and 6'2 Langford etc.

Reply #501517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The centres are locked in with cambage and tolo. Jackson or Francis playing centre if necessary.

Batkovic I don't think will get another go at it due to her age and the fact that The other 2 have already proven themselves.

Reply #501518 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think the direction the Boomers will go with selections - if all are available - are kind of obvious.

It will be very similar to this years team, add (hopefully) Bogut, Mills and Simmons. If we have injuries, guys like Drmic and Johnson or Gibson will be looked at. I expect that Mills will take Gibsons spot from the cup (as much as I like Gibbo). Bogut will take Bairstows spot, and Simmons will probably knock Goulding or Newley out.

Reply #501564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember we shouldn't be blooding players AT an Olympics or Worlds we should blood players FOR them.

Reply #501584 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I disagree..
He's got more than just a post and mid range game."

Not too many quality international level PFs only have those things these days, that's the old-school position description.

Basketball is changing, mobile guys who can still guard bigger guys are what many teams are looking for, and something Australia has rarely had. Simmons could be the mobile PF we are lacking in our fast-paced style.

Reply #501598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who would you put at small forward Paul?

Ingles and Newley? Not many other choices.

Reply #501607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When discussing future Boomers/Opals squads we always hear the usual names (like Simmons, Humphries, Maker etc.) but it's worth keeping in mind the possibility of less heralded guys making big improvements and becoming viable national team options.

A couple of years ago guys like Goulding and Bairstow weren't really considered likely Boomers (at least not in the "A" team). There's a whole host of guys who could fall into that category, and similarly some of the current big name future stars always mentioned might not make it.

Reply #501609 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

I'm wanting Joey to team up with Andre. Just imagine what they could do with a team

Reply #501611 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Surely they could work on Bishops speed over the next 1 1/2 years

Reply #501612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have Taylor, ohea, jarry, Allen, Talbot and kunek amongst others vying for places at the 2-3 spot. I think bishops only shot is at pf. 1 of the 5 bigs would have to be injured for her to make it. Hodges time is done I think. Same as batkovic.

Jackson, burton, Francis, cambage and tolo.
All the forwards can potentially play centre if needed. Bishop cannot at the international level.

Reply #501619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Madgen should be in one of the guard spots by then for the Opals

Reply #501635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson hasn't played much meaningful basketball since the 2012 Olympics. The World Champ core group seemed to function well without her.

I can't see her being part of the squad. Liz, Tolo, Francis then the younger crop coming after them (Scherf, Burton, Bunton, Milojivic, etc) should fill out the post spots.

Reply #501676 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"So who would you put at small forward Paul?

Ingles and Newley? Not many other choices."

Those two and Broekhoff will have it covered, I'd imagine, that's a pretty good trio. In case of injury Blanchfield and Steindl could both contribute offensively but really need to step up defensively.

Reply #501677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly/Gibson
Mills/broekhoff/Goulding
Ingles/simmons
Motum/Anderson/bairstow
Bogut/baynes

Phillips/mitchell
Taylor/allen/madgen
Talbot/jarry
Francis/tolo/griffin
Cambage/batkovic

Reply #560668 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754