Jack Toft
Years ago

R5: Kings vs Sixers

Super Sunday is here with 3 massive games of NBL.

Sydney Kings host the Sixers. The Kings have already racked up a win this round with a demolition of the Hawks on Friday nailing the lid on the coffin of the Hawk's season. Childress back with good form, but what about Perry and Brandt. it was good to see White and Cadee having a crack outside the arc.

This game sees Motum suit up for the Sixers and just to help him settle into Adelaide I hear that a truck load of cane toads have been shipped in just so him and Teysie can play cane toad golf with Dean. Richie is still on the scene with Creeky still hobbling around on crutches. Apparently he vigorously denies claims he went out clubbing with Reuben last week.

This is definitely one to record and watch again. The Sixers wanting a fast temp game so there's going to be lots of run and jump out there. I am not going to tip anyone. Each time I do, it's a kiss of death so I had better go for the umpires!

Topic #35856 | Report this topic

Bulldog  
Years ago

Oh great, that's all we need, bad umpiring!! Thanks Jack.

Reply #501900 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

OK, I had better tip Sydney then.

Reply #501901 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Sydney favourites @ $1.75 and Sixers paying $2.08

Reply #501902 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Will be really interesting to see how Motum fits in as he suits up for the 6ers for the first time.

Although Sydney played well earlier this weekend, and are also at home, I think the play of Gibson with Motum may be the edge the 6ers need.

Adelaide by 2.

Preview: Motum to debut against Kings

Reply #501907 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

what time is this game on nbl tv ?

1pm Sydney time = 2pm qld....or have I gone mad?

Reply #501926 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Yep...ive gone mad !

Reply #501927 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Have to agree with Carfino, other than his height, to look at him you wouldn't think Brock Motum is an athlete. But he's good.

Good game so far. 35-all with 7:01 left in the 2nd. Until Crawf nailed a 3.

Reply #501930 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Perry!

Reply #501932 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Looked like Motum thought Gibbo was Luke Schenscher with that pass lol.

54-all at the half. Gibbo is having another strong game. Brock is going ok, though his shot selection needs refining. Big Red has grabbed some good rebounds, and both Peach and Crawf are having solid outings.

Reply #501934 | Report this post

Jamie  
Years ago

J Childress ...

THE BEST EVER PLAYER THAT THE NBL HAS SEEN

Reply #501935 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Gibson is hot. Just unstoppable. But not much defense being played at either end. 54 a piece at halftime? That's high scoring.

Reply #501936 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

"But not much defense being played at either end. 54 a piece at halftime? That's high scoring."

I was wondering if this was 2014 or 1994.

Good to see though. Much more free flowing and less defence orientated like the days of old.

Reply #501937 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Jamie.....did you ever see Leroy Loggins play at his best? Or Mark Davis, Andrew Gaze, Phil Smyth, Robert Rose or Brett Maher?

Childress is good, no argument. But I think it'll be a while before he can come close to being the best player the NBL has seen.

Reply #501938 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Childress playing one of the best games I've seen over the last few years.

Reply #501939 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

CHILDRESS! - One of the best performances I've seen for awhile. Better than Gouldings 50??? He doesn't hog it as well which I like.

Reply #501940 | Report this post

sammy  
Years ago

Childress is patient and lets the game flow.
Goulding is a great shooter - but forced a heap of shots that werent there. this was due to the fact he had a license to do whatever he wanted within a team that had no offensive structure

Reply #501941 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Childress putting on one of the most dominant displays I have seen in awhile.

Reply #501942 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great performances today, led by Childress, but also Gibson Madgen and the best every debut performance in the NBL by an Aussie thanks to Brock Motum.

Reply #501944 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

How did Motum look?

what did Patty score on his NBL debut?

Reply #501945 | Report this post

sammy  
Years ago

@lance - 28points vs Sydney Kings i think? could be wrong

Reply #501947 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Very promising signs from the Sixers despite the results.

Motum and Gibbo firing at the moment.

PC providing great support from the bench.

And this is all without Creek and Wilson!

Book the Sixers for the top 4 easy.

Reply #501948 | Report this post

Jamie  
Years ago

To HoldenV8 ...

I was just making a very bold statement.
Of course he isn't the best to have ever played in the nbl, those players you named way ahead of him. Just great to see such an offensive orientated game for once in the nbl, & Childress / Gibson / Moktum all featured prominently.

Reply #501949 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Patty Mills did have 28 v Sydney.
Joe Ingles had 29 on debut for South Dragons but I can't remember opposition team.

Reply #501950 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Childress finishes with 36 points, 19 rebounds, 7 assists and 5 blocks.

Better than Goulding's display in my opinion.

Motum is a legit scorer, but 5 turnovers, 5 fouls and only 6 rebounds (many of which came late in the game).

He will need to do more of the other little stuff to help out.

Reply #501951 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

A gallant effort from Adelaide still missing Wilson and Creek.
Motum will only get better which might sound strange considering his 28pt game but when he reduces his turnovers, increases his rebounding and learns the sixers structures he will be huge for them.
Another top game from Gibson but overshadowed by Childress monster game.
Still a bit of life left in PC yet.

Reply #501952 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Childress quality player. Awesome game to watch. Both teams going at it, with great standards from the stars. Anyone complaining about NBL being boring obviously missed this game.
Childress working towards triple-double. his control of ball is unreal.

Reply #501953 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Jamie - fair enough :-)

Childress has had one of the best games the NBL has seen in a while. Even better than Gibbo's effort last week.

Haven't seen his rebound numbers since Mark Davis.

Good win to the Kings, but the 36ers weren't bad themselves and if that is what Brock Motum brings to the 36ers, bring it on.

Reply #501954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the league can find a way to legislate against defence it will be much better off, the spectacle today was great with some old fashioned NBL D!!

The 36ers were always likely to lose this game with players out and trying to fit a new guy in, but they'd be very happy with the offensive contributions from Motum and Crawford.

If they can get the same attention to defence they'll have a formidable side. Adelaide Arena will definitely be fun again this season!

Reply #501956 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry, that was me above.

Reply #501957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really think Adelaide lost it in the 90 seconds before half time. Had momentum and a chance to take a handy lead into the break and a missed layup and turnovers cost them. Will only get better though.

Reply #501959 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

An Aussie debut (the earliest of course) that matched Motum's points' output at least

Danny Morseu 28 points for St Kilda v Newcastle, Round 1 1979

Reply #501960 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

They said Ingles on the TV for the Dragons was the highest on debut for an Aussie.

Reply #501961 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I went through the stats last week to try find a game better, DT wise than Gibbo's 94. Couldn't find any from 40 mins, but found a 116 from Anstey from 48 with 36p, 16r, 6a, 6b and 1s (only went back about 10 years though).

Childress had 124 today from a 40 minute game. That's just absurd and would have to be pretty damn close to the best per minute game the NBL has seen. Definitely would be the best since Gaze, Loggins, Davis etc hung up the boots.

Reply #501962 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

Hahaha, Childress was awesome.

Adelaide top 4.....LOL!

Reply #501966 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Childress' game reminded me of Sam Mackinnon in his MVP year. Contributing in all areas and triggering loads of fastbreaks with boards and defence.

Reply #501972 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

15 to 35 Free Throws... Whoops there it is !!!! Childress gets the same amount of Free Thows as the Sixers in Total…. MMMmmmmm Score was 100 - 107… Work it out !!

Reply #501978 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

thanks for the answers. Sounds like a great game, glad I recorded it

Reply #501980 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

I have worked it out annon. Sixers too foul prone was that your point?

Reply #501981 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Annon...

Nothing to do with the Kings playing aggressive at all?

Just the refs decided to call fouls on the Sixers for Shits and Gigs?

Reply #501991 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

A loss is a loss

Reply #501993 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, there wasn't any aggressive defence in this game!

Reply #501996 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

That was probably one of the better games Ive seen on TV for some time. Great timing too as I was starting to believe the naysayers about the league being boring.

Annoyed at the time, but in hindsight this game was much better to watch than the Cats - United game.

Reply #502002 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I said on the other forum this game was a great advert for Fraser Neill's vision of multiple games per week.

If every game had this lack of defensive intensity - which will happen more the more often teams play - a lot more casuals would be attracted to the league. It was very easy to watch and the stars could make star plays,

Reply #502005 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great points Paul. Was definitely an visually appealing game.

Reply #502006 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

the refs were very trigger happy on the whistle against the sixers though. in the second half they called them for breathing on someone while the kings were often swarming a sixers player like drunk teenagers on the only girl in town.

that that i think it decided the result. after half time the sixers had barely anything resembling fast break points and just resorted to 3 point shots against the half court offense.

the kings went the other way and just had so many fast breaks from childress rebounding and running.

Reply #502007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't see much to worry about with the refs just outplayed and a special performance by Childress.

Good to see the refs not try to over officiate a TV game for once.

Reply #502012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Fraser Neil needs to have some announcements soon. Stuff the vision Paul.
That's simply fanciful crap. You should know better. The expansion of the League needs to happen very quickly or there will be no nbl next season.
Announcing brisbane early makes a mockery of the whole process for every other team trying to meet the business requirements.
An average game of basketball was all it was.
Neills vision? Hilarious.

Reply #502016 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

The one on Gibbo was laughable and then Daly gets smashed not he drive and nothing.. THink there is a little more to it.

Reply #502021 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The better team won on the day.

Reply #502030 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

There was one phantom call on Gibbo. A couple of dubious ones an Schench which he always gets because he is lanky. Otherwise, thought the fouls were there.

Reply #502032 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

If only Schenscher wasn't so lanky!!

Reply #502034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOW Childress played one of the best NBL games ive seen from anyone, if only the 36ers could get someone like him, ive always thought you need an elite swing man to win the title, pretty much the thing we lacked last season. The good thing is Creek is making strides towards being a really good sf, so not all bad for the 6ers once he is healthy.

Gibson, also WOW i hope he continues to play with that offensive aggresssion when Wilson is back, and doesnt just go back to playing 'a role', Gibbo be the star, let Jamar play make and set you up.

Like Motum on offense, reminds me alot of DJ, he is quicker than i thought he would be. Defense and rebounding need to improve, but DJ was the same so not all doom and gloom., and thats a great first up effort imo, very excited to have Motum on board.

Once we have our healthy line up rolling we should definitely be a playoff team.

Reply #502036 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Question.

With Mitch Creek being regarded as a strong defensive player, would he have gotten the job on Childress today if he had played? Keeping in mind that Childress is 6'8" (203cm) and Mitch is 6'5" (195cm).

Would he have been able to stop him today, or at least slow him down? Could any NBL player have stopped Childress today? 36 points, 19 rebounds, 7 assists and 5 blocks. Reminded me of Mark Davis back in the late 1980's.

Reply #502046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Creek would have stopped him (no one could have) but he would have been our best match up on him so may have slowed him atleast a little, so Creek not being there didnt help our cause,

Reply #502047 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

sorry , in my post earlier was meant to say 'not that i think it decided the result'

not 'that that think it decided the result'

Reply #502049 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Decent effort from the 36ers given they were without any imports. Motum has impressive speed for his size.

Reply #502063 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He has a vision, he also has people in high place who don't share it.

Reply #502080 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Who said the NBL was boring?

Over 200 points in a game, former NBA players on show and up and coming Aussies giving tin their best.

Reply #502083 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Was much better than the Perth v Melb game.

Reply #502091 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

motum been here a week,first game off the bench got 28points and childress pretty good, although some were big montreal fans.

seems motum the only nbler to play at last worlds, carfino told us, although gibons was pretty good ninenews told us

Reply #502094 | Report this post

The Dream  
Years ago

Entertaining commentary

great game by Childress

Beast mode on the boards

gibbo did his thing

motum was meh

Reply #502097 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Darryl: Totally agree. I was at the Perth game, the 4th quarter was pretty much.. Ive forgotten it. Muo came out firing then was benched.

Reply #502098 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Watching the Sydney V Wollongong game on Friday night I knew Childress was going to be our problem...we just didnt have anyone to match his speed and athleticism. Creek wouldn't have stopped him but he would have helped, even if just having that extra player you can throw at him on rotation would have helped. The thing with Sydney is...they need Childress to play like he has this weekend gone to win games...but can he keep it up?

I was impressed with "Loco"(Motum) for the most part. He did throw up some ugly shots and looked a little lazy on defense but I put that down to not knowing the teams sets yet. Glad he is playing for us and not someone else and think he is definitely what we have been missing.

Gibbo is in MVP form at the minute...will there be an MVP chant at this weeks home game from the crowd?!

Wilson hopefully back this week, I just hope he doesnt detract from Gibbo and that Gibbo continues to play agressive.

The signs look good though and I think we will start to hit our straps in the new year.

Reply #502100 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Motum certainly has some skills. But not too sure about the new boy putting up 23 shots (compare Gibson's more efficient 16) in an offense he is not yet familiar with.

Reply #502104 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

So few eyes in Adelaide.

Reply #502106 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

XY...Motum was given the green light by Joey and the team was told to go through Brock because he felt Sydney had no one that could guard him.

Fan-ciful...you're full of something, not sure it's fancy though?!

Reply #502107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Who said the NBL was boring?

Over 200 points in a game, former NBA players on show and up and coming Aussies giving tin their best.
"

It was one game.

Reply #502110 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Sydney played very smart unselfish basketball. They were very good at choosing when to shoot/pass.
Childress knows how to get to the right spots at right time, call it experience I guess.
I think Childress making a statement against Wagstaff is the best thing he could've done, as it seems to have gelled the team.

Reply #502119 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Sixers pulled a Dallas Mavericks in the third, Sydney came out firing and Adelaide couldn't match it.
Adelaide did very well in the first half and should be ok once Creek and Wilson return.
They need to sneak a few wins before that or they may be too far back.

Sydney played better on the day, but I wonder how they will go if Childress doesn't go nuts.
As their bigs look very average.

Reply #502122 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:08 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754