Carson?

Topic #35865 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is this information?

Reply #502187 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I said this needed to happen with the return of Rhys Martin and got shot down...clearly it isn't working though and like I said before, 1 of their import spots could be better utilized.

Reply #502188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better not be Ervin coz i think he will be MUCH better without the other one there.

Reply #502190 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ervin's PPG is inferior, but you'd think he's more of a proven asset and can hit the three. They have really made a mess of a roster that seemed quite easy to upgrade in the off-season.

Reply #502191 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Neither player is tweeting but that means nothing as they are probably training.

Reply #502192 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Isaac...werent you one for keeping Carson (to come off the bench as a spark) despite the return of Martin?

Reply #502194 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, because I think Nevill is a bigger problem and you can start Martin or Demos to minimise any influence of Carson if it's a problem. But if an import is getting cut, I'm choosing between two, not whether or not it would happen, right?

Unless there are real personality issues, I would try starting Martin, Ervin, Coenraad, Forman, Davidson (or Ervin, Demos, Coenraad, Forman, Davidson) before I cut anyone. Davidson, Demos and Martin know the Hawks plays and have been able to get them to the post-season. Ervin too.

I don't know why these sort of things weren't tried three games in, unless the owner is dictating playing of his Nevill signing.

Reply #502196 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'd keep Carson cos he's never nut shotted another player

Reply #502198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could make the case for either player to be cut. In my opinion I would cut Ervin and Neville and bring back Gruber (or other Australian rebounding juggernaut) and go looking for scoring swingman import. I think Carson does a better job than Ervin of dividing defenders which either nets him a bucket, drops the ball of for a big to score inside, or can kick out to open 3 point shooters.

I would also run Martin/Carson curl cuts off Forman picks so that he can pop for his jumpers/3s more often.

Quick Question: Has there been a hit to offensive rebound counts for Hawks with the loss of Gruber. Whilst he didn't score off these he did provide the second chance points to the rest of the team.

Reply #502199 | Report this post

What if  
Years ago

Neville needs to go as he does not fit into the Hawks playing style . Not sure he fits into any NBL team despite his size because he lacks mobility and efforts maybe even basketball IQ.

Reply #502210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin
Ervin
Coenraad
Forman
Davison
-
2nd import
Hill
Ballinger
Demos
Cooks

If it was at all possible to bring back Gruber, do it and then Cooks would be the off that list.

Reply #502213 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Should have just let McLeod pick the team from the start!

Reply #502214 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Nevill would still be a great signing for someone but not as any sort of marquee player, just a great big man coming off the bench.

Reply #502218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a long term season member i'd have Carson on a plane. At least Gary looks like he actually cares and plays some defence.

Reply #502220 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti reckons cut Ervin:

WOLLONGONG needs to bite the bullet and cut its 2011 NBL MVP Gary Ervin, replacing him with a scoring import small forward.
Full article

Reply #502241 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

No one is cut (yet).

The Hawks signed Ervin thinking that Martin would be back and then were going for an import 2/3 like the previous season. Then when Martin said he was going overseas they had to go for a new look and signed Carson.

Now that Martin is back it does make sense to release 1 import and go for another wing. However after the PR nightmare around releasing Gruber, will they be willing to do it again in the same season? That's the million dollar question.

Reply #502245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, Boti doesn't understand basketball and clearly hasn't watched any Hawks games this season.

Non one that understands basketball would choose to cut Ervin over Carson.

Reply #502249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can they keep Carson. HE CAN NOT SHOOT A JUMP SHOT!!!!!

Reply #502256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How can they keep Carson. HE CAN NOT SHOOT A JUMP SHOT!!!!!"

BUT HE CAN HAS ALL THE DUNKS!!!!!

Maybe Boti Nagy was the one who told the new owner to sign him?

Reply #502258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't blame them for signing Carson - the guy had huge wraps and was just outside the draft hype - lots of people questioned the 2 point guard experiment and the results have answered that question
I think Neville signing was a good choice and his numbers have been pretty much what previous seasons have generated - but I would have kept gruber over Ballinger
Hawks need a sg/sf defensive guard who can knock down a three
Lance hurdle?

Reply #502266 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

"Some Hawks fans are already convinced the 2014-15 team will become only the second side in the club's 35-year history to finish with the wooden spoon. Wollongong's only other last-placing occurred in 1997."

Nuff said. Maybe the owner needs to own and not interfere.

Reply #502268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep

Reply #502269 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I would cut Carson. Seems he has been well scouted by the league, and can't play to his strength here (getting in the open court)

Reply #502274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carson doesn't know the plays and all teams scouting reports "sag and dare him to shoot." He is good at what he does, but in the NBL, his skill set just doesn't transfer. I also don't think it's necessarily his size that causes issued on D, but simply a lack of effort and intensity on that end. It was highlighted in college and I doubt the owner watched anything but YouTube highlights of his athleticism hen making his decision to sign him.

Reply #502278 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Whether it's Ervins back or otherwise I'm not sure but he is struggling.

If they cut Ervin and Bring in a good swingman. And then Start Davidson:

Davidson
Forman
Coenradd
Swingman
Martin

Bring Hill, Carson and Nevill and reward them with solid minutes off the bench. Use Ballinger on a game by game basis depending on the opposition, and use Demos for 4 minute energy spurts once or twice a game, and to cover in foul trouble scenarios.

Reply #502287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd let Carson go for Lance Hurdle or Kevin Tiggs. Ervin is the better all round player imo and knows Geordies plays better.

Bring Neville off the bench.

Go with a line up of

Ervin/Martin
Hurdle/Demos
Coenraad/Hill
Forman/Ballinger
Davidson/Neville

Gives you a well rounded starting 5 that knows Geordies System.

Line up 2 could be Martin, Ervin, Coenraad or Hill, Forman, Neville

Ervin and Neville combined fairly well at the Crocs a couple of years back so use them together a fair bit, im only using Neville for 15-20 mins.

If your not going to change imports, bring Carson off the bench and id start Demos next to Ervin, play Martin and Carson together so Martin can be the play maker.

Ervin/Martin
Demos/Carson
Coenraad/Hill
Forman/Ballinger
Davidson/Neville

Reply #502290 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Yeah the Ervin call depends on his back

If theyre convinced he's fine and think he will return to his form of previous years, then let Carson go instead. Either way ErvinCarsonMartin isnt working.

Reply #502291 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I haven't watched too many Hawks games but looking at the stats (and I'll take them with a grain of salt as I know hawks are 1 and 8), carson and ervin have each scored over 20 in the same game twice so are they really the problem? It seems carson is playing too many minutes and demos not enough.
Davidson needs to step up or get out, I think he can be a great player but has been missing the mongrel this season.
Ballinger and Forman also need to bring it every night, if they're not scoring then get some rebounds at least.
Hawks remind me of Cairns last season, the personnel is not too bad, just not quite gelling at the moment, and you wonder how much of an effect the new ownership is having on this, in particular the Gruber loss.

Reply #502303 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Demos is a great defender.

There is a reason why he isn't getting minutes though..he can't shoot to save himself this year.

5/15 FG
2/13 3p FG
0/4 ft

a combinted 7/32.

There is a reason why Demos isn't playing much and fair enough.

Reply #502318 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Ervin and Nevill have had some pretty big clashes on court this year. Can't imagine it'd be any better at training. If Nevill's the golden child perhaps it spells the end for Ervin, especially with the ailing back. That way the Hawks could justify cutting a player if it was under injury concerns.

Reply #502320 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, Demos is below his usual 3P%. Hard to expect him to come on and get it right at low volume and with his confidence beaten down.

Ballinger survived Gruber because he has range yet is 20% from three also.

Reply #502339 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Ervin and Nevill are chalk and cheese.Two totally different personalities but thats the same in any business environment.

Reply #502341 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Ervin and Neville also combined for 10-0 run in Townsville dont forget

Reply #502342 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I agree with Isaac above. Maybe try to jiggle up the rotations before cutting anyone.

Martin, Ervin, Coenraad, Forman, Davidson does look a good combo. Bring Nevill off the bench for effect and if you had a guard compo that had at least one of Ervin or Carson on for all the game with them on court for say a 20% game time overlap, then there may be a big improvement.

Reply #502344 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's really about finding groups who can defend and then get some run out of defence. Until they do that the offence will look ugly.

Reply #502346 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:47 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754