Hendo8888
Years ago

What FG% overrides a good score by a player?

Random thought...
At what point does a bad Field Goal percentage override a good point total by a player.
Say, they score 30 points in a game, but shoot 35% from the field and take 30 shots, should that be considered a good game?

This isn't necessarily a Kobe bashing post, but he's leading the league in ppg (26.7), shooting under 40% and averaging 24 shots a game. Less than 30% from 3. Melo is another who is basically averaging a shot per point (20.1fga/g for 20.3ppg). They are top 2 for fga/g. There's only a handful of players in the top 50 for ppg who are shooting under 40%, Kobe and Melo being 2 of them. Interesting thing to note is that players seem to either average under 40% or above 42.5%. Very few fall in between that bracket who score well.

If someone can put up 30, does that excuse them for missing 3/5 of their shots? Or are they doing more damage than good to get those points?

As far as NBL goes, there's only 2 players in the top 25 (less players, so smaller sample size) shooting under 40%. Wilson and Ervin.

40% seems to be a bit of a cut-off point that the vast majority of players can achieve. The absolute elite % line is 50/40/90 that very few hit. Is there a lower % that should be considered equally bad? Like 40/30/75? Out of interest, Kobe only shoots 77.1% for FT too, so is pretty close to hitting that trifecta. Melo is below each category with 39.1/30/73.

Thoughts? This has probably been covered before, but I haven't seen it, so apologies if it has.

Topic #35877 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

At what point does a bad Field Goal percentage override a good point total by a player.

Plus don't forget you need to factor in (exorbitant) salary.

Yes I'm thinking of you Kobe!

Reply #502429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well the Lakers, probably by a large margin, break even on Kobe's salary thanks to the jersey sales and publicity he creates.

Reply #502439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shooting below 35%? you're shooting too much, shooting above 50%? you're not shooting or seeing the ball enough.

Reply #502440 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Probably depends on if your team wins or loses. Most people would take a 30%FG effort over a 70% if it meant a win.

Reply #502450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're not going to win many games when any player takes 30+ shots a game @ 30%....

I don't care who it is.

Reply #502458 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Depends on position as well. You will generally accept a lower FG% from little guys in the name of spacing.

No points score overcomes a poor percentage. There is no critical mass.

Reply #502469 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also, the coach plays a big part in this. You see player A shoot a terrible percentage under Coach A, Coach A gets fired or Player A gets moved and Player A turns into a model of efficiency. Think about Marco Bellinelli's efficiency numbers before and after he joined the Spurs.

2012/13 Bulls: 9.6 ppg at .395 from the field, .357 from three, and .416 from two.
2013/14 Spurs: 11.4 ppg at .485 from the field, .430 from three, and .525 from two.

Coach Thibodeau at the Bulls runs a clogged, unimaginative, isolation heavy offense that encourages bad shots. Coach Pop at the Spurs is one of the better offensive minds in the game.

Byron Scott, the Lakers head coach, is a terrible, terrible coach who has little or no idea on how to run an offense. This is making Kobe's already subpar percentage numbers even worse.

Reply #502471 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

You want to look at True Shooting Percentage or something more advanced than just FG%.

If I'm 2 of 10 from the floor, but have made 25 of 27 FT's, I'm still doing just fine.

Similarly if I'm 5 of 14, but all my makes are 3's, and I've made a couple of FT's my FG% is under 36%, but I've still got 17 points on 14 shots, which is fine.

Reply #502472 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The old school rule was "if you have more points than shots, you're doin' ok."

Reply #502474 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Kobe has just broken the record for most missed shots in NBA history with 13,418 career missed field goals

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/11862042/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-sets-nba-record-missed-field-goals

Reply #502483 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I am not taking a shot at Kobe (the irony), but I look at the way Dirk's career has played out over the last few years and think that's exactly what declining legend should do.

Dirk has always been in my opinion one of the most efficient scorers in the league.

Over the last few years, he has decreased the number of field goal attempts (about 20 per game at his peak, down to 14 per game this season)

He is still averaging 20ppg this year on just 14 shots, shooting 52% from the field, 48% from 3 and an absolutely abysmal (by his standards) 82% from the line.

He accepted his decline and changed his game for the better of the team.

Yet he could still have a 50,40,90 season. It's crazy.

Reply #502492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Byron Scott is chummy with Kobe that's why he got the gig. Lakers since the death of Buss have been a shambles his kids have no idea how to run the franchise.

Reply #502504 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Or do they?

They're gonna be terrible this year and keep the pick they sent to PHX.

Stealth tank job?

Reply #502525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In 2001 Iverson shot 42% attempting 26 shots per game. He won the mvp with the team making the nba finals.

The rest of the team was built around role players that would allow him to play that way.

I wouldn't think you could go too many percentage points below that with that sort of volume and still achieve success.

Reply #502556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick nope remember they have Phil Jackson in the family now and Phil himself wanted to return to the Lakers yet wasn't signed because Buss Jr. holds a grudge. Farcical management now.

Reply #502558 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Once the Lakers start playing the eastern teams I can see them winning too many games to keep that pick.

Reply #502579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easy to bag Kobe, but he has no team mate that has any capabilities to draw the defence! He has to take highly contested shots at every turn, because his team mates are shot basically. Don't be naive more to it than taking a heap of shots at a low clip, when you play with mediocre team mates. Defences have never had it easier against Kobe.

Reply #502583 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Mick - I used to feel the same about points per field goal attempt, until I realised most missed attempts give the other team a chance to score. If they're scoring at a much higher points per offence than you are, missed field goals become more important than otherwise. i.e., 50% of 2 pt attempts gives you the same points as 33% of 3 pt attempts but the other team has less chances to score.

Reply #502596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PeterJohn, I expect offensive rebound rates are much higher for missed 3s, than for missed 2s.

But I don't have data, anyone?

Reply #502620 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754