Anonymous
Years ago

Midweek NBL games don't attract crowds

Poor crowd in Melbourne last night.

The NBL had "Big Wednesdays" in the late 90's and those games used to attract poor crowds too.

The NBL needs to learn that midweek games do not work.

Never have and never will.

Topic #35880 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Get used to them. Midweek games won't be used to attract crowds, they'll be used to attract TV dollars.

Reply #502475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serious question for you Paul.

Let's say for instance that Sydney average 5,000 people per home game this season.

Then, next season, the NBL get a TV deal with every game being telecast.

If Sydney plays on a Wednesday (for example) and the ratings on TV are "ok", yet they average 2,500 to 3,000 per game, will the Sydney Kings be in front financially (ie "ok" tv ratings vs smaller crowd numbers)

(Bare in mind that I used Sydney as an example because they are the countries biggest city. Also bare in mind that when "Big Wednesday" games were telecast, the ratings were around the 15,000 to 20,000 mark, per game, nationally)

Reply #502478 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It depends on the deal. At the moment, as far as I know clubs get no dividend from the league. But if, just as an example, the new deal delivered $500K to each club, it makes it worth their while to play some games midweek.

The key is to play games in venues that fit the day/time/opponent. Had Melbourne played last night's game at the State Basketball Centre they would have got a similar crowd, the atmosphere would have been good and they would have made money.

Reply #502479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok thanks for that.

I always appreciate your input

Reply #502480 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I love midweek TV games.

Not sure I'd attend one - by the time you finish work, get dinner etc. it's too late.

But from a TV Perspective..I absolutely love coming home getting everything done and sitting up and watching mid-week sport.

It gives you that weekend feel.

Reply #502487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly most people don't agree with you

Reply #502488 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Most people do agree with him, that's why TV networks are after more midweek games across a range of sports.

Reply #502489 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Midweek games will continue regardless for the above-mentioned reasons but they really should focus on teams that play their games close to the city, therefore teams like Adelaide would generally not have them but Sydney and would. Thursday seems to be the best fit IMO, everyone's getting half-pissed after work anyway.

Reply #502493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the TV revenue covers the lost attendance revenue or exceeds it then it's a no brainer and the league will have increased exposure as Australia has limited sport on during midweek.

Reply #502495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who here watches Fox Sports News?

Do they ever show NBL highlights?

Last night being not much on bar the FFA Cup and Mundine fight you would think highlights of United Taipans would be on. All they had was the final score and a brief description on the ticker. How pathetic, they can't be bothered can they? It's not like a lot was on.

Reply #502496 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Given the NBL's standing, it's up to the league to provide some quality highlights. Hopefully next year they spend the cash to do so.

Reply #502497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an interesting dilemma. The mooting of an expanded NBL, would mean the league needs to play more games - packing more games into a 3/4 month window seems to make sense without eating into AFL/NRL seasons and then cannibalising the SEABL and state leagues...

So they would have to play mid-week games. Unless each team plays road doubles each weekend?

Maybe a Friday night, Sunday afternoon?

Reply #502500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll never defend shitty Fox Sports but to their credit they had Josh Childress in the studio for an interview right after the tribunal announced his suspension.

Reply #502501 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

What about games that are not on TV, yet being played mid-week, like last night's game.

I understand the NBL may have been trialling the concept to see what sort of attendance they'd get for a mid-week game given that there will be more to come, but is this move only for the benefit of TV?

What if the mid-week game isnt on TV? Would that club be entitled to some form of compensation for lack of crowd AND no revenue brought by being on TV...

Reply #502507 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Fox Sports News use footage from TV games but not NBL TV

Reply #502508 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There is an NBA game on almost every day and that consistency keeps people watching, playing fantasy, checking stats, talking about it, etc.

If the NBL can get a deal that pays the clubs, that will be a huge help for them.

Reply #502509 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't see how a future TV deal is going to pay any dividends to clubs.

Who is going to be paying $$$ to broadcast something that no one wants to watch? It's a charity case and nothing more.

Unless there is some significant growth that I don't foresee, it's going to be (bad) business as usual.

Reply #502528 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Only time will tell Mick, but neither of us have been involved in the negotiations so we don't know, and live content is well sought after.

If the NBL is offering 200-odd games (and growing with expansion) played across many days of the week, pay TV might be interested if they think they'll get an average of 40,000 viewers. Time will tell.

Reply #502531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Fox Sports News use footage from TV games but not NBL TV"

Well that is just laziness. A news outlet like FSN should have at least one subscription to the service at the very least.

When it comes to NBA highlights some are actually off League Pass I've noticed so how about doing the same for NBL.

Reply #502547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'll never defend shitty Fox Sports but to their credit they had Josh Childress in the studio for an interview right after the tribunal announced his suspension."

I'm not surprised, if there is anything NBL which is slightly related to NBA they will cover it like the recent Brock Motum signing. Doubt they would cover Motum's signing if he didn't sign for the NBA preseason.

Reply #502548 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Anyone notice when NBL highlights are on telly it's mostly 3 pointers? Is that the fault of the NBL or the news outlet?

Reply #502560 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The news outlet chooses the highlights, so it's there fault, but if the NBL want to change it they have to do something about it.

Reply #502562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wednesday night made a heap of sense for people involved in Basketball who cant attend Fri/sat/sun games..

I miss big Wednesday tv games.

Reply #502563 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

With the future expansion of the NBl they are aiming for up to 7 days live, so get used to it. Smaller venues are the go it seems. Maybe United need to revisit their plans.

Reply #502565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just throwing it out there, but would it be worth the sixers looking at making ETSA park suitable for basketball for those smaller venue games?

Reply #502599 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just throwing it out there, but would it be worth the sixers looking at making ETSA park suitable for basketball for those smaller venue games?
Assuming their rate to hire the Arena is OK, they might as well use what they're used to. They have infrastructure and offices there, the fans know where to go, the ticketing setup is familiar. And the concourse makes it straightforward to differentiate a smaller setup versus the full deal.

I think ETSA would only make sense if it was far, far easier to get to than the Arena, or the Arena was too expensive to hire.

Reply #502624 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754