Luke
Years ago

No NBL on TEN after this season

Look's like the NBL will have to find a good tv deal, would love to see 7mate do a couple games and ESPN do some through the week with all their nice presentation like the NBA on ESPN

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/11/ten-2015-highlights-celebrity-drama-sport.html

As you can see it was not mentioned at all in TEN's highlights for 2015.

What is your dream NBL TV deal?

Topic #35892 | Report this topic

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Probably because their contract has ended.

Reply #502695 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

This says far more about how much Ten cares about the NBL than it does about next season's TV contract, given that this season will go three months into 2015 as-is.

Reply #502714 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Do the NBL know how to market their product? Let's try "The best league outside of Europe and the NBA"

Reply #502733 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I really hope the league has a major revamp this coming off season. All their dud contracts from BA should be expired hopefully by then and maybe we will see a rejuvenated league.

Not sure whats going to happen with TV - Maybe Foxtel, maybe 7mate, maybe a combination of both - Or maybe nothing! Either way, whatever it is its got to be better than the current Channel 10 / NBL TV offerings, along with their piss weak online presence.

Never have I disliked channel 10 more than the last few years, because of their treatment to the NBL.

Reply #502749 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

It doesn't mean anything whether TEN has the NBL or not. We will just have to find out what the TV broadcasters are for the 2015/16 season and beyond but I don't reckon 7mate will have the rights to NBL.

Nick Marvin, chairman of NBL says that "we would love to stay with them for another three to five years. But we need every match live so maybe there is a hybrid model like the AFL where some matches are also on pay television." - which sounds to me that they want Ten to stay in conjuction with Foxtel.

Reply #502772 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

NBL doesn't rate at all full stop. Ten are in the ratings game which equals advertisement and revenue and basketball sadly just doesn't do it. I wish it did. There is so much up in the air at the moment, hopefully we will know before the end of the year whats going on in the future but it could be as William said a similar thing to the V8 Supercars with 6 events live on ten and the remainder on fox sports. Also foxtel via news and discovery are in advanced talks with the network 10 board about buying 14.9% stake in 10 which would make sense for both 10 and foxtel moving forward. we will have to wait and see, so much to play out

Reply #502778 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Sitiveni, you are correct in one aspect of your comment in my opinion, that is the fact that Ten is in the ratings game. However, I do not agree that the NBL does not rate, how do we know it does not rate?

Ten has done nothing to give the NBL the exposure and promotion that TV stations do for the A-League and the Cricket (summer rival sports, including tennis and the racing carnival).

Please don't put the NBL down like this without acknowledging first that we would be in a very different situation if we were backed by a TV network which had the balls to do what is being done for our rival sports!

Then, if we still don't rate, at least we can say it is a fair comparison, because it really isn't at the moment IMHO...

Reply #502779 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

@sitiveni - I can't find any reference to me saying something about V8s on Ten in the recent posts. I would love for Foxtel and Discovery to take ownership of Ten but they need to go through hurdles such as the media watchdog. If ownership does take place then Ten will bid for major sports with Foxtel and have a stronger brand around news and sport. One thing is uncertainty what will happen to programs and sport, will they disappear or get access to the same amount of coverage

Reply #502780 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

No William, you misunderstand what I was saying as you said about the hybrid model between FTA and pay TV. I used the V8's as the example fox and 10 are doing next year.

Bear I love the NBL and I subscribe to NBLTV, but facts are the facts. some NBL games have had less then 50k viewers. Come from a business perspective and ten wont throw money at something that doesn't rate and therefor they get bugger all advertising dollars from.

in terms of the Foxtel potential buying into ten. Its the ACCC that will look into it but Foxtel wont take ownership but a 14.9% share into ten to avoid the reach rule laws which Malcolm Turnbull is supposed to be puttting forward proposed media legislation to cabinet prior to the end of this year which may change the current cross media ownership.

Quicker this can happen from what I have heard is yes NBL might be able to do a deal with Ten and foxtel which will enable more live games via foxtel and a handful of FTA games on Ten or One. NBL is never going to be the major sport FTA networks chase.

Reply #502815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9.30pm and 2pm games don't help, put the cricket or the afl at the same time and then tell me how it would rate? I have never seen an add for the nbl on ten or one.

Reply #502837 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Sitiveni, you have said this...

.... 'I love the NBL and I subscribe to NBLTV, but facts are the facts. some NBL games have had less then 50k viewers. Come from a business perspective and ten wont throw money at something that doesn't rate and therefor they get bugger all advertising dollars from.'

I also love the NBL, however it appears 10 does not share our sentiment. Business is run in many ways, the business of advertising and media has inherent risks just like any other form of business.

What comes first, in this instance though, is it that the network finds a product they want to sell with little to no effort, or do they put some money and effort into something with potential to make it work?

It isn't as black and white as you have suggested by throwing in a statistic like (less than 50k viewers), the A-League is an example, yes they did their own huge restructure and changed their product, but the media machine got behind that sport and here they are today, near the top of the pile.

My point is that the media networks can't just say they will only support the NBL once it is a great product, they have to be part of the solution, not the problem mate...

Reply #502850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Main stream media made an agreement in the late 90's that basketball will no longer be supported.
The sports that get the backing are the preferred sports of the power holders in Australian media.
Basketball will never again be what it was in the 90's, its jus seen as an American game that white boys can't play...no matter how wrong we all know that is.
All we can do is support our teams by getting memberships, buyin products from team sponsors and lettin them kno why you're buyin from them. Support the league by watchin games on tv, even if your team isnt playin. Subscribe to nbltv. Get friends to games.
We are Australia basketball, we are the members, fans and players. Its in our hands.

Reply #502853 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^ if this is true, I presume you have evidence, then the media is part of the problem and we are all just kidding ourselves!??

End of discussion...

Reply #502870 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

If main stream media has made a deal then that's illegal.
Restraint of trade. Collusion what ever terms you wish to apply. Please show us the evidence of your assertion otherwise don't be sproutin crap.
So what does a deal mean by the way? Spell it out exactly otherwise STFU.

Reply #502876 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

LOL

I hope Fox jumps into bed with one of the FTA networks and gives the NBL some exposure. The product is excellent. It just needs an entrepreneur with some vision to give it a go.

Reply #502878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Channel 2 to sign a 3 year deal. Wednesday night back as marquee game each week. Just like the cricket who cares if people don't turn up to wednesday games the tv ratings are what matters. Also show friday night and saturday night games each week. ABC have so many channel's I've lost count so no problem finding an opening on the schedule. Hopefully the league expands to 12 teams also. A country victorian team along with a tazzy team, another team from perth(imagine the derby crowd) and bring canberra back.
Scrap the points system and just have a straight salary cap.

Reply #503119 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

@Anon - I doubt ABC will even consider getting NBL as they have budget cuts and buy NBL wouldn't even make any sense. Fraiser Neill said that the deal is way off being signed. Do you have a source to support your evidence that ABC will buy NBL

Reply #503126 | Report this post

Hello  
Years ago

SBS is the best option.

Reply #503162 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

How is this for an idea, let's see if young Packer has the kohunas to do what his father did and step up to the plate by taking on the NBL and getting right behind basketball here as Packer senior did with cricket back in the day?

I doubt it, but that's the kind of thing that could propel the NBL into the next decade...

Reply #503208 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

@Anon - You do realise that wouldn't happen as WNBL and ABC are set to depart because of so called cuts to the public broadcaster.

Reply #503352 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Willaim the ABC has to cut 5% over 5 years and that should be relatively easy to do. With a budget of over $1bill / season, it's not a hard ask.
I for one think the decision is wrong, but relatively speaking it isn't a big cut and shouldn't impact on the minor sports being covered.
WNBL is classified as a minor sport and so should the NBL be too right now. Unfortunately.

Reply #503366 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'd be surprised if women's sport gets the chop, that's part of their core business.

Reply #503371 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754