Curtley
Years ago

Potentially stupid question:

Could an NBL team that fails to sell all their tickets to every game (almost every team) donate hundreds of tickets to organisations with DGR or not for profit status and claim the cost of those tickets back on tax?

Topic #35901 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

I don't think so. A tax deductable gift is money or property only, as far as I understand it.

But more teams should give away tickets to non-sellouts, regardless of tax implications. This is what lots of NBA teams do. NBL teams are very reluctant to do so because outside of a select few (emphasis on few) front office people around the league, they fail to see the big picture. I believe Cairns does this (or at least they used to).

The flow on effects are massive: you get kids interested in the brand, people attending on free tickets buy merch and food, the crowds move through the area of the stadium eating dinner at surrounding restaurants and buying stuff, which in turn helps adjacent businesses, which then makes local council bailouts / handouts more likely because they see a bigger net benefit in the area on game night.

Not to mention it's a bad look for your brand to have empty seats in stadiums.

And even forgetting all that, the seats are going empty, it's pretty callous not to just donate to a local charity that would use them.

Reply #502879 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Mick do you really have a clue?
Any empty seats are empty by definition.

Give them away means you purchase that empty seat, and by giving them away you LOSE money.

Reply #502882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'm agree with mick, harry, you're out of line on this one.

Reply #502884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agreeing*

Reply #502885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry you can't lose money if no one has bought those seats. In fact you can only make money like catering, car parking etc.

Reply #502886 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

One of the problems with giving lots of tickets for free to fill the stadium means the paying customer who is a legitimate fan is going to get jacked off. In the process of trying to lure a new customer, you are going to lose paying customers. It,s a fine balancing act.

Reply #502888 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

When putting on an event Ticketting agencies will only make a provision for x amount of comp tickets to be printed as they make a comission on sales. If a club does want to hand out thousands of tickets they would have to pay penalties or comissions to the ticketting agencies (ie. ticketek/ticketmaster)

Reply #502893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at Harry asking if Mick has a clue.

Harry you have no idea do you?

Reply #502898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the 36ers gave away 1000 tickets per game it would cost them $70,000 per season
The question is would they convert those people into paying customers

Reply #502900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry Hackrein is none from 20 since joining this forum.

Reply #502901 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I am sure if the club say donates $1000 to the charitable organisation and the org in turn buys $1000 worth of tickets it may work.

However most teams are not in the position to pay tax anyway, most lose $$$.

Reply #502902 | Report this post

NJS  
Years ago

If Harry doesn't reappear to back up his senseless drivel, can we call him Harry Houdini?

That was a pretty stupid thing to say... Harry Houdini.

Reply #502903 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Not really. If the seats are empty they cost you nothing. Give the tickets away requires you to PURCHASE that seat. They aren't yours to give away just because they are unused.
Booking fee and whatever you purchase the tickets for are a COST. You book the arena and sell seats. You don't own every seat in the arena that isn't used.
Ring up ticketek and ask. Happy to be proved wrong.

In summary the empty seats aren't your to give away without incurring a cost.
Every 'free'(empty) seat incurs a cost. By all means give them away and go broke.

Reply #502963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Short term pain for long term gain.

For ANY business to grow, sacrifices need to be made. The flow on effect you get from full stadiums far outweighs the $70k per year outlay.

A few factors come to mind, both monetary and non-monetary:
Atmosphere (How good does a sell-out look on TV compared to a half empty stadium)
Catering
Parking
Kids actually giving a crap about NBL
Sponsorship and Advertising revenue opportunities are increased

Lots more upside. NBL clubs need to spend some money to grow this league. Do they think it will just happen without any real investment?

Reply #502966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But the negative is season ticket holders refuse to renew their tickets and just wait for free tickets. You lose more money the following season.

Reply #502967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as a long time sixers member, I would not have a problem at all if Sixers gave out free tickets to Charity or to the district clubs...

Reply #502970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would pay more for a membership if I could go to games that were packed.

Then again, I'm not a selfish prick

Reply #502972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry, the first paragraph of your last post is the most ridiculous drivel I've ever read on this forum.

What are you on about?

Reply #503080 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

I explained it clearly. Ask away.

Reply #503091 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754