Anonymous
Years ago

should the 36ers get 2nd import

Just looking at the points cap situation and by my calculaions if we let Crawford go we would have enough points to get a 2nd import.

I know $$$ wise is probably the issue, but even a min salary import could be handy and a upgrade on Crawford,

Im not really knocking Crawford either, just think we could upgrade his position with a import.

Id be looking for a 6'6 swingman with a good all round game and preferably a good defender and a decent jumpshot. At worse go for a Dorsey type or even though he is a bit smaller Lance Hurdle would be ok aswell and possibly available on the cheap.

To me a line up of say

Gibson/Wilson/Daly
Dorsey/Teys
Creek (Dorsey and Teys back up Creek)
Motum/Anthony/Petrie
Schenscher (the PFs back up this spot)

Looks a bit better than what we have now, i reckon you need 2 decent imports to contend these days, and a swingman who can defend and is long and athletic is just what we are missing imo.

Topic #35904 | Report this topic

annonymous  
Years ago

Need a taller import than Wilson who is just not getting to the basket and a huge mismatch in defence risk with how the other teams are shaping up..

unless you can lose Wilson and bring Ervin back, a small is not what we need.

Reply #502915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson is already there, id swap him for Ervin too, but thats not a option.

What im suggesting is swapping out Crawford for a import like Ron Dorsey.

Reply #502917 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

They should pick up Nevill from the Hawks as the fans don't want him there and 6ers need to stop pretending their PFs can backup at centre.

Reply #502918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless Neville is cut, it isnt a option though. (FWIW i reckon you only need 1 7footer and guys like Motum can play back up C, last season we had DJ and Petrie at PF/C and Schenscher off the bench, swap Motum for DJ and that same line up/rotation is fine imo.)

Where getting Dorsey or someone similar is.

FWIW i would have moved Gibbo to PG from the start, i reckon its his best position, and gone with 2 import swingmen , a bit like what the Dragons had when they won in 2009.

Reply #502919 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id get rid of Wilson, the guard position is covered well, Daly is serviceable. That allotment of 10 points needs to go towards a athletic 3 man. Wilson is good but not great, and Gibson has proven he can dominate without him.

6ers would be best to admit they stuffed the import choices now, and make the move. With success fans have very short memories of mistakes. Id be keeping Crawford, can shoot, still keeps the defence honest and if they actually ran some plays for him, would be very effective at what he does.... knock down 3s!

Reply #502921 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

Yes Yes Yes, Gibbo for Point and Daly back up with Teys and Creek in the 2/3, Creek due to the nature of the opposition barriers.

Reply #502925 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

They are not getting a 2nd import after spending for Brock. If you cut Wilson maybe but i just cant seem them making two changes in a season, paying out something i assume on both or at least one.

Reply #502927 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Have to laugh with all these suggestions about Gibbo taking the point.

I wish I could dig up the threads 2 years ago on how Gibbo should never play point as he is a combo guard at best.

I suppose its the same people who kept calling for DJ to be let go because he was 'shorts-pulling softie', and now crying because he is gone.

Reply #502931 | Report this post

anony  
Years ago

Marcus, is it not oaky for players to improve and people change their view... You never know if you start having something credible to say some might change their mind about too…. Gibbo had his best game at Point and Player of the Week.. Hmmmmm … Bet even he didn't know he could do that...

Reply #502936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo was the starting pg on the 2009 title team, its not a new thing, to me he always has been best suited at pg, a bit like a D Martin but with more offense.

I would have loved to see the 36ers line up look something like,

(ill use import swingman, best you can get for money of similar mould to Ingles (close as possible) and Dorsey (or similar) as the cheaper import)

Gibson/Daly
import/Teys
Creek/Dorsey
Petrie/Anthony
Motum/Schenscher

So basically Wilson out for import swingman (more expensive import swingman), Dorsey in for Crawford.

Which is why i was thinking maybe we should do the Crawford out for Dorsey type import and made this thread.

Wilson is ok, but not great, id prefer Ervin, but not a huge deal, i just thought we shouldnt get a import PG with Gibbo in the line up, but Joey seems to like Gibbo at SG, has for years, he has had some success too, so hard to argue in a way.

Reply #502943 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Different times different folks. At this stage with this roster and this coaching staff, Gibbo at the point is a better option. I wouldn't bring in second cheap ass option import for the sake. Id cut my losses with Wilson and his bad hamstrings and bring in a better compliment import for this team.

Camby, dude since your Clarke and Radford dedication, your opinion is now void in many peoples eyes. Sorry the internet is a hard place to survive sometimes.

Reply #502946 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'm allowed to dream.

Bring back Diamon Simpson

Reply #502973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starling?

Reply #502976 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I dont think the 36ers need another import...I do however, think they need to learn how to play some D!

Reply #503053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Have to laugh with all these suggestions about Gibbo taking the point.

I wish I could dig up the threads 2 years ago on how Gibbo should never play point as he is a combo guard at best."

How about we dig up threads about you talking up Marty Clarke and Daequon Montreal?

Reply #503058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw Starling at the game on Saturday night, whats peoples thoughts, probably wouldnt want big money for the opportunity?

Reply #503094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be happy to give Starling a go on a cheap contract.

Reply #503095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could even give Starling a couple of weeks replacing Creek whilst he is still out instead of Richie Edwards?

Reply #503097 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

'Have to laugh with all these suggestions about Gibbo taking the point.

I wish I could dig up the threads 2 years ago on how Gibbo should never play point as he is a combo guard at best.

I suppose its the same people who kept calling for DJ to be let go because he was 'shorts-pulling softie', and now crying because he is gone.'

Have to laugh at the suggestions by you that Marty Clarke was the right coach for us. Yet, when he left, we made the Grand Final the next year.

Wish I could dig up every post you made about him...

Reply #503112 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Defense is simply killing the 36ers.

It's matador at best.

For all his offensive potential, Motum's defense isn't that good. He is a bit of a tweener in terms of not being able to defend the mobile 4 men of this league and not big enough to defend the 5 man.

Reply #503116 | Report this post

Hello  
Years ago

I am a Motum fan but I agree he is not mobile and quick enough. I also am surprise of his fitness level at the moment.

Reply #503141 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754