Bear
Years ago

Mason Cox - Collingwood 7 Footer from USA

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/mason-cox-exceeding-expectations-at-collingwood/story-e6frf3e3-1227124727800?nk=0ed6735c46afdad2fd96abff7b1ce2ae

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/06/30/can-seven-footers-dominate-afl/

Read about this guy recently, he could have had a basketball career and apparently was a decent college player, now the magpies have picked him up and he could be playing AFL as the tallest ever to kick a sherrin here?

Topic #35907 | Report this topic

Baller#3  
Years ago

tallest ever to kick a sherrin even? Im sure someone 7 foot has kicked a sherrin before

Reply #502984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aaron sandilands is close at 211cm. Will this guy shrink as he crosses the pacific as many have done before him?

Reply #502988 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

This guy has been in Melbourne training with Collingwood for the last two months and no he didnt shrink.

Reply #502989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good for AFL, but I they play up how good he was at basketball.

Barely got on the floor at Oklahoma State and pretty sure you can't go pro after averaging less than 4 minutes a game as a senior.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/61115/mason-cox

I hope he does play a senior AFL game though.

Reply #502992 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Correct @Baller#3, I am sure someone has also, but at AFL level or with the potential to play at AFL level, perhaps not?

Happy Days started another thread on the skills basketball can bring to other sports such as football, I guess this guy is an example of that, even if he wasn't a world class basketball talent he may have the skill set and size to play AFL...

Reply #502997 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I really dont think anyone over 7 foot can successfully play AFL. Besides winning the ruck, your gonna be no use on the field. I don't even like Sandilands as a ruck, he can hardly do much besides the tap. I just cant see anyone taller doing any better.

Also the longevity of someone over 7 foot in the AFL would be a problem too wouldnt it.

Reply #503016 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Baller#3 - I agree if we are talking about Sandilands type 7 footers. Ie I agree if we were talking about Neville making the switch

But from all accounts Mason is quite mobile. This means he is of use in the forward line and potentially back line as a 3rd man up.

The more interesting fact is that with such a dominant ruckman teams may try to run their mid fields off your ruckman. Ie teams reading Sandilands ruck taps rather than their own ruckman

Reply #503035 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sorry boys, disagree, many times Sandilands has been the difference to his team winning games. The right player at 7 feet tall, marking the ball and dominating the game by giving it out to his running brigade will win you games, that's what it is about.

They are obviously very hard to find, hence the interest in this bloke...

Reply #503045 | Report this post

Hoop Dreams  
Years ago

Sandy... 2 time all Australian? they dont give those out just for a prize for being the tallest ruckman in the league...

Reply #503060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baller#3 I don't think you have watched Sandilands very much over the years.

He has been so important to Freo. Gives them first use of the ball, plays well around the ground and then goes forward, takes strong marks and kicks goals.

Every team would want would a 7fter like Sandilands of they could find or develop one.

Reply #503106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:57 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754