Anonymous
Years ago

VJBL U/18 VC Grading Phase

Results have been published after the first round of grading in Australia's premier junior competition, any surprises, comments or predictions?

Topic #35956 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

KILSYTH 31 MELBOURNE 54

WERRIBEE 51 WARRANDYTE 39

DANDENONG 80 DIAMOND VALLEY 87

FRANKSTON 35 COBURG 55

GEELONG 49 BROADMEADOWS 29

KEILOR 60 MCKINNON 34

KNOX 34 WHITTLESEA 32

KNOX(2) 46 NUNAWADING 57

ELTHAM 54 WAVERLEY 40

SANDRINGHAM 66 BULLEEN 58

ALTONA 40 BLACKBURN 45

Reply #503767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know the result of Ballarat v Hawthorn, scores are not posted on the web site?

Wow, 160+ points in the Dandenong v Diamond Valley game, did anyone play defense?

Reply #503768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #503769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Diamond Valley v Werribee next week might show us who the contenders are in Pool 4. Tough pool that one!

Also, Keilor v Elthan in two weeks time will be a cracker and could determine the best team in pool 5 I think.

Pool 1 sees Geelong take in Melbourne Tigers, that is a key game too.

Reply #503771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the DV v Dandenong game DV hit 17 x 3's

Reply #503799 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

That's some outside shooting right there, yet DV got over them...

Reply #503831 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sorry, meant to comment that Dandenong stayed close, but obviously couldn't catch them... Still, lots of points in that game compared with the average for week one.

Reply #503832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone just turned the light bulbs on at Ballarat, scores are in for final game of round 1.

BALLARAT 46 HAWTHORN 36

Anyone surprised at these results? I don't see any upsets really, so far.

Reply #503843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it true Gabe Hadley is playing for DV this season? Will this make him eligible for VIC Metro U/18s?

Reply #503952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ he sure is listed for them
http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_info.cgi?c=1-3911-49031-336116-21670569&a=PLAYERS

Reply #503957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That depends on where he lives, doesn't it? If he resides in the mtro area, yes, if not then may country!

Reply #503974 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Gabe Hadley has moved to now live in Melbourne, and given Diamond Valley is within Metro Melbourne that makes him able to play for Vic Metro.

Reply #503977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's correct, but it doesn't matter that he plays for DV, it matter where he lives.

Reply #503978 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dandy v DV game was 10 min 1/4 fully timed, so the game ran like forever which blew the score out a bit. Shooting was awesome but D was a bit ordinary at times

Reply #503980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grading games fully timed, that doesn't happen everywhere, must have just been those officials!

Who shot all the threes?

Reply #503982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their recruits played well.Hadley would have 30 and nearly triple double.

Reply #503985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why has he moved from Tasmania? Seems like he's moved just so he can beat the 3 month rule and play for VIC Metro at 18s Nationals in April...

Reply #503986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Round two looks like this, any predictions?

HAWTHORN vs FRANKSTON
MCKINNON vs ELTHAM
BROADMEADOWS vs KILSYTH
COBURG vs BALLARAT
BULLEEN vs ALTONA
WHITTLESEA vs KNOX
NUNAWADING vs KNOX
BLACKBURN vs SANDRINGHAM
WARRANDYTE vs DANDENONG
WAVERLEY vs KEILOR
DIAMOND VALLEY vs WERRIBEE
MELBOURNE vs GEELONG

Reply #503990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHITTLESEA vs KNOX (2)

Reply #503991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone at Knox care to share how strong they think their second side is compared with their first?

Knox v Nuna looks like it will be a good game. Unless Knox is a fair bit better than Knox (2) I think the boys from Nunawading will take this one.

Another great game could be Coburg v Ballarat, this will show how well the country boys travel. They usually do this well, but Coburg seem strong this year, maybe the Giants here.

I like DV's shooting against Werribee, but if they don't hit their 3 pointers like they did last week I think the Devils can take them, so will go for a Werribee win.

Last game of major VC importance that I think will be a cracker is Tigers v Supercats at MSAC, both teams filled with potential and players with Nationals experience. Could be a tie, what happens then, O/T?

Reply #503996 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anon 986, please dont make stuff up because you dont know the truth. Hadleys hole family is moving to vic so he goes where they go. Next youll be saying his little brother or sister moved over so they can make the kinda rep team

Reply #504095 | Report this post

anononon  
Years ago

Knox(1) is a lot stronger than Knox(2)

Should take the W against Nunawading.

This Knox side is made up of most of the U16/1 side that won VC last season. The Knox 2 side is made up of last years 18/2 and 3s sides plus a couple of U16 kids.

Reply #504102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox v Nunawading will be some game, they should both go through to VC regardless. @Anononon are you saying most of the 18(1) side is bottom age?

Reply #504107 | Report this post

anononon  
Years ago

I believe they have 7 bottom age in the 18/1

Reply #504127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Normally that would be tough to carry through in VC, however it makes less of an impact in this age group I think. Talent is talent as they say!

Reply #504130 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anononon
If you are gunna post at least get your facts at least a little right!
There are in fact only 4 bottom age in the 18/1 team.
The 18/2 team has 2 from last year's 18/2's, 2 from from the 18/3's, 1 top age coming back and 5 bottom age.....

Reply #504173 | Report this post

anononon  
Years ago

Good Morning ANON! Hope your day is going to be fantastic!

Go have a look at their squad list on the VJBL website.

Pretty sure you'll count 5 bottom age kids in the 1st team. My post said I 'believed' there was 7...you've come out and flat out insisted there are IN FACT 4...

Enjoy your day...hopefully your facts get better!

Reply #504217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, Knox is running about the same amount of bottom age kids as Geelong, any other teams people know of that have half bottom age in VC this season?

About half, I don't want to say it is fact!

You guys are funny.

Reply #504223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there are 5 or so bottom age in the DV team as well

Reply #504266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dv beat werribee very convincingly

Reply #504594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers held on to down Geelong Supercats by 11 in a great shooting display. Both teams look like decent VC candidates next season.

Game started with Geelong showing some handy defense to go 7-0 until the Tigers got their game rolling. Tigers got in front mid way into first and the game went from a 2 point lead to an 8 point lead to the Tigers for most of the remainder until the end result.

Last quarter saw Geelong get to about 5 points but missed opportunities and Melbourne's shuffle offense won the day in a game both coaches will know their teams can improve from.

Reply #504595 | Report this post

Outsider  
Years ago

Tigers beat Geelong by 9. Outside shooting from Tigers saved the day for them. Shuffle alive.....

Reply #504596 | Report this post

Outsider  
Years ago

yep double checked Tigers 58 v Geelong 49.

Reply #504598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologies for the score being out one goal, my bad! :(

Did I at least get the game review close?

Reply #504600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Round 2 grading results here:

HAWTHORN 46 FRANKSTON 39
MCKINNON 28 ELTHAM 40
BROADMEADOWS 53 KILSYTH 42
COBURG 66 BALLARAT 61
BULLEEN 61 ALTONA 41
WHITTLESEA 60 KNOX (2) 31
NUNAWADING 34 KNOX 46
BLACKBURN 47 SANDRINGHAM 54
WARRANDYTE 22 DANDENONG 52
WAVERLEY 41 KEILOR 40
DIAMOND VALLEY 67 WERRIBEE 47
MELBOURNE 58 GEELONG 49

Reply #504602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whittlesea ran Knox very close last week and smashed Knox (2), they must be legit?

So much for Knox (2) being nearly as good as Knox (1)

Reply #504603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any smokies out there?

I know Oakleigh smashed Blackburn in one of their pre-season game and lead Sandringham all game before just losing in another. They have won their first two games in pool 2 and should be interesting to watch in AA if they get through next week.

Seem to be a side coming from nowhere.

Reply #504778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne (2) and Oakleigh undefeated in Pool 2 si far, we will see after final round if they are smokies? Also key game Mornington v Corio Bay will show us another possible smokie me thinks?

Casey, Craigieburn, Keilor (2), Dandy (2) and Nuna (2) all with a VC shot!

Reply #504975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here we go, final week of grading before corss over games and some teams look like they will get that early passage into VC quite easily, while others still have some work to do:

HAWTHORN vs COBURG
ELTHAM vs KEILOR
BROADMEADOWS vs MELBOURNE
KNOX vs KNOX 2
WARRANDYTE vs DIAMOND VALLEY
BLACKBURN vs BULLEEN
WHITTLESEA vs NUNAWADING
WAVERLEY vs MCKINNON
GEELONG vs KILSYTH
WERRIBEE vs DANDENONG
ALTONA vs SANDRINGHAM
BALLARAT vs FRANKSTON

Reply #505239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Oakleigh beat Bullen(2) by 50!!! in Pool 2 to go into AA undefeated. Definitely a team to watch from the lower division.

Reply #505389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some interesting and perhaps surprise results last night, Coburg going down to Hawthorn and Frankston defeating Ballarat (I believe as MSAC still have not updated the scores).

That shakes up Pool 2, not sure who will end up where now. Other results appear to have gone to form.

At MSAC I happened to hop around a bit and saw Dandenong apply their strength to get the cookies over Werribee.

Geelong were far too strong for Kilsyth who lack size and height. Unfortunately the Kilsyth coach copped two tech fouls and was asked to leave. Not sure why, he seemed to argue with the officials for a while and I think they just got sick of hearing his voice.

Knox showed they are VC while Knox 2 probably are not and Melbourne dished out a lesson to Broadmeadows showing why they are a top VC team this season.

Reply #505419 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Hawthorn go thru on %, also into VC are Melbourne, Knox, Diamond Valley, Eltham and Sandringham.

Next Friday there will be some great cross-over games, does anyone know if they will all be at MSAC?

Reply #505558 | Report this post

VJBL Watcher  
Years ago

Looks like Ballarat and Warrandyte are in with a second chance ?. IMO they are the best of who come last in respective pools.

Reply #505622 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Alot of people were surprised at the Diamond Valley and Warrandyte draw. Wow. I don't think anyone expected such a close game. I also heard that Warrandyte only had 5 players. Would be good to watch their next game.

Reply #505626 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Both Venom and DV missing players, not much to play for as DV already through and Venom already 4th in there pool. To Warrandytes credit one player knocked down about 7 or 8 3s in the second half, couldn't miss. All credit to them. They should get through.

Reply #505631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with those two having a second chance, Ballarat pool was very even and I was surprised at how badly they did against Frankston, very unexpected score line.

Reply #505636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Results for VC qualifying, some surprises?

Dandenong 48 goes down to Keilor 49, I suspect the Rangers will get in no doubt. This was a tough cross over game. Anyone see it, care to comment how the Thunder got over them?

Geelong 50 defeats Frankston 45, not sure is both teams were at full strength, the Supercats were missing their height but still get through to VC. Frankston seem to be hot and cold, anyone at this game that know more?

Nunawading 48 beats Werribee 36, I wonder if the Devils have enough talent to get throgh in the next round? The Specters seem to be a strong outfit.

Whittlesea 38 get over Coburg 37, this is interesting, the Pacers are full of surprises, anyone see this game?

Any other men's under 18 game people had the pleasure of seeing that is of interest?

Reply #506517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Altona get another chance, so to does Camberwell and Kilsyth, but no result yet for McKinnon and Dandy (2)!

Reply #506519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broadmeadows 54 had a great win over Blackburn 34 to make VC, anyone see this game, could it be the biggest surprise so far?

Reply #506520 | Report this post

@ Balwyn  
Years ago

Keilor v Dandenong went into overtime after a 39 all draw.Shot Clock not score board but a portable on the score bench. May or may not of been an issue....

Reply #506529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see Dandenong not making VC regardless of the result last night. Keilor deserve their spot too.

Reply #506535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Dandy had a shot to win and another on the O/T siren too, but missed both!

Reply #506634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No shot clock available to use at the Dandenong Keilor game, not great for VC qualifying.

Reply #506779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of the 18VC games are being played at some pretty ordinary venues.

Reply #506804 | Report this post

@ Balwyn  
Years ago

Anyone shed light on Waverly 20 v Bulleen 0. Is it a mistake or forfeit

Reply #506832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few of us are thinking the same??

Reply #506834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pool AA qualifying games for early 2015:

Pool 1
Altona v Melb 2
Frankston v Warrandyte

Pool 2
Coburg v Bulleen
Casey v McKinnon

Pool 3
Blackburn v Camberwell
Werribee v Oakleigh

Pool 4
Ballarat v Dandenong
Mornington v Kilsyth

Reply #507067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12 teams are through, another 8 from above to make it into VC, who are the favourites?

I think it might be:

Dandenong
Altona
Coburg
Bulleen
Blackburn
Oakleigh
Ballarat
Frankston

Reply #507068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oakleigh??? that's a big call. Have they played VC before? what was their previous grade?

Reply #507389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think anon^, you can always give us your opinion on who will make it through, no one will stop you.

Don't know that much about them boys at Oakleigh, but word is they have some decent talent in this age group and results so far indicate this is true.

Reply #507456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has VIC announced their U18 state team yet?

Reply #507480 | Report this post

Big T  
Years ago

Hey Fellas,

Regarding the Bulleen/Waverley game, half the Bulleen team is currently on a basketball trip to the USA, they didn't have enough to play out the game so they decided to forfeit the match.

Brother plays in the team.

Reply #507489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Bulleen should top pool 2.

Reply #507492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

State teams won't be announced until early 2015!

Reply #507493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Big T
Seems a couple of others in the same position.

I know Tigers had the same issues.

Reply #507510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers got through in 3 games, what issues could they have had? They have a second team in the running as well, maybe their issues are in your head anon?

Reply #507512 | Report this post

ET  
Years ago

Same at Warrandyte, 6 boys in the States for their 3rd grading game, and were able to pull out a draw against Diamond Valley with the 4 remaining players and a fill in to stay alive.

Reply #507524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers played with 7, not in my head and l was on the court. 1 injured and 2 on overseas school trip...

Reply #507536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to put down their opponents in the last round of grading, but Tigers would have won with 5.

Reply #507563 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thats easy to say when those 5 probably all came from other clubs

Reply #507564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ouch!! That level of poaching doesn't still go on does it?

Reply #507831 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Of course it still does - get them when they are bottom age put them in the 2nd and 3rd teams so they can play in the 1st team the following year.

Reply #507852 | Report this post

Toby  
Years ago

Poaching or people realising that their clubs aren't offering them much of a service so they decide to go to a different club? There is a difference!

Reply #507866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The lame excuse of all clubs who practice in the pathetic art that is poaching.

Reply #507899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, heaven forbid the kids get a better opportunity elsewhere.

Here's an idea, maybe some clubs need to lift their games to ensure they keep the kids happy in the first place.

Competition improves the product.

Reply #507909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You keep telling yourself that, Tigers are the worst poachers going

Reply #507911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers don't have a junior domestic association to recruit from either.. They are a unique model.

Reply #507915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting isn't it, not the poaching allegations but the fact that Tigers have no domestic competition at all, they exist only due to their representative program.

Is there any other Association in the VJBL like this?

If not, should Tigers be encouraged to adopt a junior domestic program?

Does it seem like they have an unfair advantage in the VJBL when they operate under different rules?

Should this be investigated or does it just not matter to anyone?

Reply #507951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's actually against VJBL rules but nobody has the proverbials to raise it!

Hopefully now that the Tigers are out of the NBL the attraction to join the Junior Tigers fades in future.

However poaching isn't restrained to just the Tigers. Many of the larger clubs use "the better opportunity" argument to entice good juniors from other clubs.

Reply #507955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Instead of focusing on bigger clubs poaching can somebody tell me more about the Oakleigh team pushing for VC? Found out they were ranked 34 in pre-grading rankings, so if they make VC that's a big jump.

Also noticed their U16's are in the hunt as well, so nice to see a smaller club making inroads into the higher grades.

Anybody know any details about their program?

Reply #507956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure you could tell us. You are obviously from Oakleigh?

Reply #507962 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

FYI, 8 out of the 10 tigers players have been with the club since u12's or U14's. They don't need to poach, the quality of their coaching ensures strong teams year after year.

Reply #507964 | Report this post

LarryLegend  
Years ago

I am reasonably sure that group of Oakleigh players have always been on lower fringes of Championship/high Div. 1. A low pre grading ranking surprises me

Reply #507965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mute argument Anon...as the import rule applies and you are dead right, every year they add another 2 imported players U12s , U14s and now U18s but yes will not disagree , you do have some great coaches.

Reply #507966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great coaches, yes if you think learning the Shuffle offense like a robot is great coaching? Not many of their kids will go on to learn how to play the game or fit into other programs outside the Tiger bubble!

Reply #507975 | Report this post

MRT  
Years ago

Re poaching if ur a great player and u live or ur parents are prepared take
u to the bigger clubs great. But most players play at a association closest to
them. Happy new year to all.

Reply #508081 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Re: 507975
You are stupid and naive to think that tigers players can't play anything other than structured play. Look at how many tigers players have made it to the AIS and into the Australian team. Proof that many can play outside "the tigers bubble". Your argument is rubbish.

Reply #508119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #507962

What a silly post. I am not from Oakleigh, I am just wanting to find something out about a new club up in the rankings that I haven't seen before.

It would be nice and refreshing to talk about something else other than another boring thread of Melbourne Tigers poaching players, which everybody else other than Melbourne Tigers folks seems to know that this goes on each year.

Thanks for the info #507965.

If they make Vc would sure be a more interesting story.

Finally any coach can look good when his club attracts (poaches) some of the best kids in the state. A more telling result of a great coach is one who can bring through a group of kids not rated by others but has improved over the seasons. This is the reason I am more than interested with what is happening at Oakleigh as I am sure no players have been poached into their program, so it would be good to find out more about their story.

I didn't even know they were in the VJBL.

Reply #508122 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Who are the players from Tigers who have made it to the AIS and Ausssie Team? - are they players who started at Melbourne Tigers?
Tigers will find it very difficult to poach now because their "fictitious link" to the NBL Melbourne Tigers is over. They can no longer trick kids into coming with the promise of the NBL (which was always a myth anyway).
Without their own domestic competition - the perceived attraction will fade.

Reply #508123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think to be honest, Tigers need to look at forming or joining some domestic competition, if they do it will help them forge kids from under 10's etc. then the issues being spoken about will probably fade in time.

Their coaches are pretty good, but I have observed most of their players and they are quite robotic, most will not go on to great heights, they will just get more opportunity than other kids at programs with less influence.

Reply #508127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blackburn
Camberwell
Werribee
Oakleigh

Pool 3 in AA above is the toughest of the VC qualifying pools I think.

Reply #508907 | Report this post

Oakleigh seems like they have a great chance of qualifying for VC. Do you guys think they can hold of Werribee? And can they make any noise in VC?

Reply #508957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance

Reply #509191 | Report this post

Rhea11  
Years ago

To anon #509191 have you ever seen them play? Surely they're not as good as Melbourne but do small clubs usually get ignored like that?

Reply #509271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Blackburn, Camberwell, Werribee, Oakleigh pool would be the weakest.

Altona
Warrandyte
Frankston
Melbourne 2

&

Dandenong
Ballarat
Kilsyth
Mornington

Would be the toughest pools, followed by the other 2 IMO

Reply #509275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next weekends Eltham Dandenong Tournament results should give us a better idea of team's capabilities.

Reply #509980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree, Dandenong should smash their way into VC in that soft pool!

Reply #510137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Dandenong were so good they would have won through in phase one!

Reply #510147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rhea11

Not ignoring anyone, just giving an opinion. Oakleigh have not even been close to VC in previous seasons, and may have had a good first phase, but can't see them progressing further. Just said it in two words.

"No chance"

Reply #510148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Semantics guys! Just saying a pool is tough does not mean it is the pool with the strongest teams, it means the teams in that pool will find it tough because they are all quite even. Dandenong's pool may be perceived weaker as they could dominate the pool, Oakleigh's pool is tough for all four in that pool. Tougher games, not higher quality teams just maybe closer results is what was meant by the opinion of the post.

Reply #510171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams to top each pool IMO

Pool 1

Wide open with Warrandyte, Frankston and Altona

Pool 2

Coburg followed by Bulleen

Pool 3

Tight but I'd say Werribee

Pool 4

Dandenong

Reply #510212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't it be funny if Dandenong don't make VC.. LOL

Reply #510222 | Report this post

King cole  
Years ago

"Wouldn't it be funny if Dandenong don't make VC.. LOL"

Small thing amuse small minds

Reply #510224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King Cole, the only people not finding that thought amusing would be from Dandenong.It would be extremely amusing if say Dandenong miss and an Oakleigh make it!

Reply #510232 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I agree, it would be pretty funny.

Reply #510234 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Won't happen if they play to their potential, but having watched a talented team lose six in a row and miss out a couple of years ago, it can happen...

Those in Junior League 1 will not be happy if it does though!!

Reply #510276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The VJBL are pleased to announced the venues that will be hosting the 2015 National Junior Classic.

Under 12' and 14's - Dandnenong Basketball Stadium, 270 Stud Rd. Dandenong Nth 3175. 30 minutes from CBD

Under 16's - Sandringham Basketball Stadium, 150 Tulip Street, Cheltenham VIC 3192. 20 minutes from CBD

Under 18's - State Basketball Centre, 291 George Street Wanitrna South 3152. 20 minutes from CBD

Parking at all three venues will be free over the Classic long weekend.

Reply #510307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear is right.
Not uncommon for a team that should be outstanding
( because it is on paper) to fail.

Not listening to the coach
Injuries
Attitude
Selfishness
Just being present on the court, but not hungry for the ball
Laziness etc etc

Can all play a part. Or here is a thought every team can be beaten and they were, by better playing teams on the night.

Reply #510328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or maybe they're just not upto it this year. Word is they tried to "recruit" hard...

Reply #510374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who recruited hard, Dandenong?

Reply #511123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched Oakleigh play Melbourne(2) tonight. They lost by 15, against an ordinary Melbourne side. Doubt they will progress through to VC. Pretty ordinary effort!

Reply #511281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was it the full Oakleigh Team. We are also playing ,but with only 6 and 4 fill ins from our thirds.

Reply #511314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was their full list, talked to one of their parents.

Saw them agaim yesterday they beat Central Districs & Waverley and by the results beat Nunawading today before losing to Sandringham.

So they have defeated two teams already in VC teams and a very strong Central Districts. So I take back what I said about them from Friday's performance.

They can definitely make VC and if they do can cause some damage. Interesting how ordinary they were on Friday though. Maybe first game back after Xmas and blowing off a few cobwebs.

Were extremely impressive on Sat.

Anybody else got feedback about other teams from the tournament.

Reply #511572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a load of tripe they Dandenong tried to recruit hard never heard such nonsense before in my life. They will easily make VC that's forsure. As for why they didn't well its sport. Baldwin runs a lot of plays and is a coach that demands respect. He builds culture and sometimes that takes time.

Reply #511598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong cannot be too bad made the final of the Eltham tournament. On that you would think should qualify smoothly for VC.

You shouldn't get too locked into teams that go through in the first phase, plenty of decent teams left in the AA group that will qualify for and then make an impact on VC.

Reply #511717 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Results of VC qualifying under 18Men round 1 are in:

Coburg went down to Bulleen 57-59
Ballarat also down in a close on to Dandenong 49-52

Altona defeat Melbourne2 45-34
Casey beat McKinnon 54-45

Frankston lose to Warrandyte 39-56
Mornigton get hammered by Kilsyth 40-67

Blackburn down to Camberwell 46-52
Werribee smacked Oakleigh 62-36

Was anyone at any of these games who can share their thoughts on results so far?

Looks as though Oakleigh, Frankston & Melbourne2 are perhaps not at VC level, this year...

Reply #512619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mornington may not be VC quality, how did they lose by so much to Kilsyth?

Reply #512620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrandyte looked good against Frankston. I wouldn't count Frankston out just yet, they just came up against a good outfit on the night. Could be the top 2 in the group.

Reply #512662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, Mornington and Kilsyth no where near Frankston or Warrandyte. Expect them both to get through!

Reply #512757 | Report this post

Vic parent  
Years ago

Frankston have taken dandy and hawthorn to within 5. Melb within 14 and beat vc qualified side Knox by 23. You are not giving Warrandyte enough credit, I was at the game and they must have hit 12 pure 3s. Warrandyte drew with diamond valley earlier in grading. Frankston is a team of footballers that run hot and cold but can be dangerous as Ballarat found out. Will be a tough gig to get to VC from where they are but they have come up against some bloody good teams.

Reply #512868 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Agree^, although both teams had players out, I recall Geelong only got over them by about 5 points to get through in cross-overs. Could easily have gone the other way...

Reply #512870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Games this week
My predictions

WERRIBEE over CAMBERWELL
COBURG over MCKINNON
BLACKBURN over OAKLEIGH
FRANKSTON over MELBOURNE 2
DANDENONG over MORNINGTON
BULLEEN over CASEY
BALLARAT over KILSYTH
WARRANDYTE over ALTONA

Reply #512883 | Report this post

Agree with above except for Oakleigh Vs Blackburn. I followed them closely at Eltham Tournament.

Saw them in three games for two great wins and one horrible loss. I think the difference between their best and worst is very big.

They defeated both Waverley and Nunawading (both VC qualified), but they barely scored against Melbourne(2) and Sandringham.

Based on that and the fact they are playing at home I reckon they will handle Blackburn ok.

An interesting team!

Reply #512986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah when I made my predictions that was one I thought could go either way.

Reply #513016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Werribee 44 accounted for Camberwell 31.

Frankston 71 did everyone a favour and put Melbourne 2 out of their misery 55.

Ballarat 55 in a close one over Kilsyth 49.

Warrandyte 65 in a big win over Altona 39 (Zone D obviously not helping the Gators).

And in the big one, Oakleigh 67 hand Blackburn 43 a lesson on how to make VC.

Other results to follow:

Reply #513586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No real surprises apart from maybe the margin of Oakleigh beating Blackburn.
Warrandyte are a good outfit and to beat Altona by 26 no doubt they shot the lights out against Altonas zone as they have good shooters.

With the results that are through, Warrandyte seal top spot and qualify for VC as do Werribee after a solid 13 point win over Camberwell.

Melbourne(2) can't get off bottom even with a win this week after a 16 point loss to Frankston and therefore can't make VC aswell as Blackburn after a 24 point loss to Oakleigh.

Reply #513597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad to say I picked the Oakleigh result. Going by their up and down form they probably will lose next week. I hope not, it's good to have a cinderalla story in the mix.

How tough is the battle for the top 3 spots in pool 4 though??/ Looks like nothing between Dandenong, Kilsyth and Ballarat. To make VC Oakleigh and Camberwell have to go through one of those team.

Very tough crossover games their for the two underdogs!

Reply #513599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good pick.

Dandenong should account for Kilsyth comfortably.

Ballarat should account for Mornington comfortably.

Meaning the winner of Camberwell and Oakleigh will play Kilsyth in a crossover. Kilsyth aren't a powerhouse in this age group so I think either Oakleigh or Camberwell could get them on the night if they come to play !

I think Coburg could finish 2nd of Pool 2. So loser of Oakleigh and Camberwell will play Coburg(if they do finish 2nd) in a VC qualifying match also. I think Kilsyth are weaker than Coburg. So 2nd spot would be worth grabbing for either of the teams.

Reply #513602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another big Friday night at a stadium somewhere in the state of Victoria. Also, quite a hot and muggy night for basketball.

How many people out there were putting up with terrible conditions and how long do we have to go before all stadiums have fans or cooling?

I will nominate the Arena at Geelong as one of the worst stadiums (The Annex), where VJBL games are played and the conditions are atrocious.

They have no cooling system and no way to get a breeze flowing to cool the courts, this is unacceptable in 2015 and I was a visitor there.

Is there another stadium out there as bad as the one in GEELONG? Can the bloody council and the people running this game do something about this farce?

Reply #513699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here Here Bear

Reply #513702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree totally with the above comment on air conditioning. Maybe Basketball Victoria should arrange an online petition to motivate governments of all persuasions to do something about it.

Imagine how much air-conditioning that 1.2 billion we are about to pay in compensation just so we don't have to build a road could provide.

Reply #513797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That wasn't Bear. They clearly said they were a "visitor" to Geelong so it was someone from Diamond Valley.

Reply #513805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hello my reference to Bear was about Frankston and was justified after Friday nights result.

Reply #513820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last Friday there were visiting teams from DV, Eltham, Melbourne, Coburg and probably a few more sitting in shocking heat at the Geelong stadium. I am sure they were all as disgusted as the local folk.

Reply #513821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we are going off topic, l will whinge about Court 1 @ Eltham in winter...

Reply #513824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not all results updated still. Anyone know any if the results from these games?

McKinnon v Coburg
Dandenong v Mornington
Bulleen v Casey

Reply #513890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandy beat Mornington by 60, Bulleen beat Casey by 7, not sure about last game.

Reply #513896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok thanks for that

Reply #513904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the new Werribee stadium holding games yet?

Reply #514317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While the result does not count as the game was a XX pool game. Knox got up over Melbourne Tigers and Geelong came close to Keilor. Cannot wait for tip off in 2 weeks.

Reply #515212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On last nights results

Warrandyte, Bulleen, Werribee and Dandenong all go straight through to VC finish top in their respective pools.

4 more spots remain and will be decided between

Frankston v Casey
Coburg v Camberwell
Oakleigh v Kilsyth
Ballarat v Altona

My tips are Frankston, Coburg, Kilsyth and Ballarat.

Oakleigh is the only one I give a slight chance of causing an upset.

Reply #515258 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Warrandyte, Bulleen, Werribee and Dandenong all deserve their spot into VC, they were clearly at this level...

Of the four remaining spots;

Frankston must be a huge chance against Casey.
Coburg should be too big for Camberwell, but this will be tight.
Oakleigh in their day should account for Kilsyth.
Ballarat will have to pull out all stops to get over Altona in what could be another tight game.

My tips are Frankston, Coburg, Oakleigh and Ballarat, but not with great confidence.

Reply #515850 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

The matchups are:

Frankston v Casey
Altona v Coburg
Oakleigh v Kilsyth
Camberwell v Ballarat

Reply #515851 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, shite I didn't even check, just went on face value from the above anon post, thanks @Melbourne Boy.

Still I think Coburg can get over Casey in that one but all games look very close. The Camberwell v Ballarat game now takes on a different feel for me, I can't call Ballarat to win with any conviction, it will depend on how they shoot it...

I will go with Coburg and Camberwell, but very close results!

Reply #515860 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Does Ballarat have much size? Camberwell are one the smallest teams I've seen competing at this level. They play particularly hard but size hurts them.

Kilsyth aren't all that impressive this year, I do believe Oakleigh may be able to surprise them. Oakleigh zone hard and play a fast tempo game from what I've seen.

I feel sorry for whoever wins these match-ups as they will be in for a very long, difficult season.

Reply #515880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, Coburg is probably the only team left with size that could make an impact in VC.

Melbourne, Geelong, maybe one or two others have the best tall timber in VC.

Reply #515891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oakleigh have won five of their six grading games so far with one hiccup against Werribee. Some impressive performances in the Eltham Tournament as well that I saw, so I have followed their results closely since then. Not only do I think they will win on Friday, but I think they could surprise people in VC.

Agree with BB report, they are an up tempo team, but I haven't seen them zone in the two games I saw. Which game did you see them in BB?

I was also looking through the other age groups and I noticed the Oakleigh U16 boys have already progressed through to U16 VC!

Great effort for a club I have never seen at this level before. Somebody doing something right out that way.

Frankston Coburg and Ballarat in the other games for me.

Also I wouldn't write off any team that progresses through to VC, the grading process is so thorough you have definitely earnt the right to play VC if you make it.

A final point on that Knox win over Melbourne. Melbourne apparently benched three of their best for that match. Can anybody confirm that?

Reply #516048 | Report this post

Vic parent  
Years ago

Anon Frankston are bigger than Coburg. 2 x 6ft7 centres and plenty around the 6ft2 mark playing as guards. Not quite the Melb Geelong height but probably weigh 20kgs more. They played a close one to beat casey at Aust day so it is a toss of the coin job.

Reply #516163 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

n

Reply #516491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All will be answered tonight, it is a big night for these teams! Make or break.

Reply #516502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oakleigh and Camberwell though! and we were all saying what a tough group Pool 4 was! Pool 3 was obviously a little bit better.

Congratulations to both these smaller clubs a sigificant achievement, especially Oakleigh as this must be their first U18 VC team I would have thought.

Well done to Coburg as well.

Reply #516687 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well done to all teams, welcome to VC U18 Men Frankston, Oakleigh, Camberwell and Coburg.

Just as I predicted :)

Reply #516704 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Please - whoever you are - give the Oakleigh bandwagon a rest. The fact that these fringe clubs have made it to VC this year just goes to support how weak this age group (U18) is in the VJBL this year. Worst I can remember!!

Reply #516752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 516752 are you from Kilsyth having a cry?

Typical big club mentality. Trash smaller clubs when they play lower divisions and then trash them when they knock bigger clubs out of VC.

Good on them for qualifying. And I am not the poster you are talking about. Whoever that is ride the bandwagon as hard as you like, Great effort by your boys.

Reply #516764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon#752 you may have built up a perception about VC under 18's from watching them over a few years.

Every year new kids come through, sometimes in a single year they are bigger, or bulkier, or more skillful, but weaker? Well, that depends on what you are used to seeing and what you remember over time.

We only recall very little, leaving the rest to our imagination. This year we have some very skillful kids in VC, maybe not the 120kg monsters or football built athletes of a few years ago (I thin it was Bulleen from memory), or even just a hand full of years back when Ben Simmons was running around in a Knox uniform.

Maybe this is the worst you can remember, but that it only your memory and your opinion, it isn't shared by everyone.

Reply #516797 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Frankston Casey game was a classic lead changed at least 15 times even with injuries frankston made it. With 8 fouls called in the first 2 minutes of the game collectively certainly made it interesting. Went all the way to the last quarter both teams found it confusing when one of the referees just ran off and never cam back and another took over from the baseline for the last 3 minutes of the game, it was good to see the ref comeback and collect the sheet after the game though glad all was ok?. Great game though both teams.

Reply #516835 | Report this post

Anonz  
Years ago

I find this interesting. And my questions are genuine.

Why is there so much debate, and even forecasting going on about 16yo athletes ?

How is all of this appropriate ?

And how do the posters think they're qualified to discuss the various merits or lack of merit of each team or program ?

Please enlighten me.

Reply #517648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonz,

this is actually my first post here but I've been reading it all closely. Allow me to answer your questions to the best of my ability:

Why is there so much debate, and even forecasting going on about 16yo athletes ?

I can't see much harmful in the discussion. The 16 yr old athletes are elite juniors. In that context there is nothing here that is harmful.

How is all of this appropriate ?

Nothing inappropriate. Its all just harmless banter by parents/coaches/officials in the business of providing a service to these young, elite athletes. Friendly debate and discussion is all normal and expected on a basketball forum.

And how do the posters think they're qualified to discuss the various merits or lack of merit of each team or program ?

Take it all with a grain of salt. It's all anonymous and I doubt anyone reading this is going to give anyone in an anonymous forum too much credence. I can't see too much harm in it.

Bottomline is when the kids hit the court none of the above banter really matters. The game is all about the kids, all this banter has nothing to do with the kids but probably keeps a few parents and supporters interested and busy in what may be their very mundane lives.

Reply #517650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My advice would be stick to broad general discussions about the teams and leave specifics about the kids well alone.

They are minors don't forget.

Reply #517663 | Report this post

Oberon97  
Years ago

Any surprises from the first week of VC? Any early upsets? Trends that may continue?

Reply #520240 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:24 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754