Anonymous
Years ago

NH: RIP Phil Hughes

A terrible tragedy for the adopted South Aussie.

PHILLIP Hughes has died from head injuries suffered on Tuesday when he was hit in the head by a bouncer at the SCG.

The Australian cricketer underwent brain surgery and has been in an induced coma in Sydney's St Vincent’s Hospital.

Hughes did not respond to treatment and was pronounced dead on Thursday, stunning a cricket world that had rallied behind him since the terrible incident.

A Cricket Australia statement from team doctor Peter Brukner said: "It is my sad duty to inform you that a short time ago Phillip Hughes passed away.

“He never regained consciousness following his injury on Tuesday.

“He was not in pain before he passed and was surrounded by his family and close friends.

“As a cricket community we mourn his loss and extend our deepest sympathies to Phillip’s family and friends at this incredibly sad time.

“Cricket Australia kindly asks that the privacy of the Hughes family, players and staff be respected."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/cricket/phillip-hughes-dead-head-injury-claims-australian-cricketers-life-after-tragic-scg-playing-accident/story-fnii0bxe-1227137086558?nk=1399742f3cf09459571445716bdd4d7b

Topic #35988 | Report this topic

Years ago

RIP....a fighter all the way !

Reply #504345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ball that is used is ridiculous, it's more like a rock than a ball.

Reply #504347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rip phil Hughes

Must get rid of those helmets that only cover the jaw line. The new helmets cover the neck, the base of the skull etc.

Reply #504348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So sad. Tragic loss of a great talent.

Reply #504351 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

terrible terrible news... shocked is an understatement...

RIP Phil

Reply #504353 | Report this post

david  
Years ago

Even as "occasional supporters of cricket", I am saddened by such an event. There is only so many things one can say. RIP Phillip Joel Hughes of Macksville NSW

Reply #504359 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

25 is too young for anyone :'(

Reply #504361 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

RIP Philip Hughes.

Reply #504365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deceased mode :'(

Reply #504369 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

^
I felt bad but I did laugh at this.

Reply #504392 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

A guy who loved the game of cricket and was as much loved and respected by all of his peers, sadly missed.

Reply #504402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what india have to look forward to this summer

Reply #504404 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

As bad as I feel for Hughes' family and friends, I also feel for Sean Abbott. I can't imagine what he's going through right now.

RIP Phillip Hughes. And stay strong Sean Abbott.

Reply #504435 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A very sad day for Australian sport.

A professional sportsman dying playing the sport he loved. I have been struggling to think of any other professional sportsman dying in a similar manner during the course of a game. I know there's been motorsport drivers who have died in crashes and there's probably been a boxer, but have there been any other professional sportsman die like this?

very sad day indeed

Reply #504443 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Feel for the bowler. If only will play in his head for the rest of his life. Can the Pope give him a call and assure him all is forgiven and absolved ! Poor guy..

Reply #504446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has happened in soccer. Marc Vivian Foe had a heart attack whilst playing in an international game

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/jun/26/football

So so sad

Reply #504450 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Hank Gathers the Loyola Marymount college baller in the 90s, Jack Toft.

Reply #504466 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Hank's story - available as part of the 30 for 30 series and well worth a look - is a little different. Whilst unexpected, his condition was known to doctors and the university. In this case, a healthy young man went to work one day and didn't come home. Incredibly sad.

Reply #504488 | Report this post

Coopz  
Years ago

Boston Celtics All Star Reggie Lewis died on court during an off season training session. Suspected heart attack I believe. He was only 27yrs old:(

Reply #504748 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754