Blowout Troll
Years ago

The standard of refereeing in this league

Is beyond diabolical. In all honesty, that is why this league is a laughing stock of Australian sport. The refereeing is a shambles.

Topic #36001 | Report this topic

DQM  
Years ago

They can't even keep control of a youth league game, what do you expect

Reply #504661 | Report this post

Blowout Troll  
Years ago

It is so bad....I truly wonder how many of them really know the rules. It is absolutely terrible.

Reply #504663 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

So your team lost this weekend?

Reply #504669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After leading by what 16...yep refs fault

Reply #504672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Violins on sale at rundle mall

Reply #504674 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Don't tell one of the best referees in the world that reff'd today, he doesn't know what he is doing. 3 x's Olympic referee and reff'd the Olympic gold medal not long ago.
Easy to blame the refs when you score 36 points in the 2nd Quarter and only 34 points for the next 2 quarters. Refs fault obviously.

Reply #504676 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Don't tell one of the best referees in the world" Aylen is no where near the best umpire in the world. If he was he would be in the NBA making several hundred thousand per season. He is close to the worst umpire in the NBL

Reply #504682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying Aylen is the best ref in the league sparks volumes for the quality of refs in the league

Reply #504683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lose with dignity fellas

Reply #504684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the sixers suck deal with it stop blaming the refs they are the least of your problems. The refereeing was the same for both teams

Reply #504685 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Strange that he refs in the Olympics and the NBL fans think he can't ref. I guess that makes all the other Olympic refs shit too.

"Easy to blame the refs when you score 36 points in the 2nd Quarter and only 34 points for the next 2 quarters "

Reply #504686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney were the better team on the day FACT.

Reply #504688 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sixers lost the game themselves. That doesn't mean the standard of the umpiring is good. The umpiring is pathetic in the NBL.

Just because Aylen gets sent to the Olympics it doesn't mean he is an excellent umpire. I imagine the conversation is like this

Olympic Official "Please send your most experienced umpire to the Olympics"

Basketball Australia "Well Aylen has probably had 25 years in the NBL we will send him"

An umpire could be in the NBL for the last 3 years and each year done an excellent job and they will still send Aylen.

As I said if Aylen was such an exceptional umpire the NBA would have brought him over. There umpires make up to $500k. He is an average umpire at best and each game continues to make calls that aren't even close to being correct.

Reply #504689 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

It's terrible. Taipans won by 9 today so I'm happy but the refereeing was still ordinary. I'm not so upset with the 50/50 calls, it's the fundamental basics that they miss that really annoys me. That and the lack of consistency within games and across the league. They might as well go back to two refs and save a few dollars if the league is happy with second-rate refereeing.

Reply #504690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KingJames on refs yeah because that's going to be a balanced arguement.

NBA reffing is a world of its own, and there's no way they are the best in the world. Just best of that system. Watch a game, they're corrupt, biased to superstars, ref by the NBA's agenda.

Aylen is one of the best referees in the world. There's a reason why referees exist, fans, coaches and players only see the game from their own point of view. Fact is refereeing in every Australian sport is an issue because people don't understand just how hard it is. Also on the other side of the argument all sports under resource referees and referee development. Even the AFL with its monopoly and money still don't have full time umpires. Think about that for one minute.

Fact is Adelaide lost because Sydney played smarter when it mattered. End of Story.

Reply #504691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please enlighten us King James on how many non USA citizens are NBA refs? There has only ever been one non american in thw NBA/WNBA and that was Caroline Gillespie. So of the 38 referees who went to the world champs who werent American they are all shit? Just to add the USA sent 2 referees... 1 college and 1 NBA. Guess the college ref was shit.

Reply #504692 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

KingJames compare Aylen's salary and the amount of evaluation that he receives from the NBL compared to what NBA refs receive. The same thing applies for the players too. The NBA is also called completely different to all other leagues in the world too. If the NBL had the same budget as the NBA did for refs imagine how good the refs would be.

Reply #504693 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Compare the reffing from the start of last season to now.Standard is very ordinary and i dont barrack for Adelaide.

Reply #504694 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

reffing was generally ok today. didn't notice anything too unfair.

think its a case of when the chips are down in periods like today, they get the blame.

sometimes its weird reffing but overall, the reffed ok. otherwise, kings got a raw deal in the first half

Reply #504696 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@Wilson Sting "it's the fundamental basics that they miss that really annoys me. That and the lack of consistency within games and across the league." That is perfect right there!

"So of the 38 referees who went to the world champs who werent American they are all shit?"

No but doesn't mean they are the best in the world either. Just because Alyen has 25 years experience doesn't mean he is a good umpire. We can agree to disagree but I think he struggles to control games, lacks consistency and every game makes one or two extremely bad calls.

@Ganymede 86. I would love the umpires to have more money going towards educating them. At the moment I feel they have no accountability as the umpiring around the league continues to get worse. Having said that other than a few bad calls today they did a good job and I thought the umpires in the Sixers vs United game did a great job. So it seems to be better but doesn't make up for how it has been during the rest of the season (non sixers games included)

Reply #504700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So King James how many non USA citizens have refd in the NBA?

And please enlighten the masses why the NBA referee union only allows the annual fiba summer league referees to officiate a quarter of a summer league game so they dont take away opportunities from USA citizens to get a job???

I look forward to your know it all answer as to why Aylen and other international referees arent good enough to referee in the NBA?

Scott Butler has been widely considered our best referee ever developed, he never made NBA. Guess he was terrible too.

Reply #504702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the umps should be able to use the replays like they do in the NBA or give the coaches 2 reviews each that once used are gone. Would obviously slow the game down a bit but would prefer to get it right.

madgen got a flopping warning after he got fouled shooting a 3 by creek but the flop was actually on the shot previous. I thought if it was a flop it was a straight tech?

sixers lost it for themselves but the umps didn't help. the offensive foul on schench with a minute or so to go when he didn't move was a bit harsh.

Umps took creek out of the game as he was doing a pretty good job on childress, seems like he is impossible to stay in front of.

Reply #504703 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"So King James how many non USA citizens have refd in the NBA?"

I imagine Europe referee's get paid well also so they have no reason to go the NBA.

"the umps should be able to use the replays like they do in the NBA" Agreed that would help. Unfortunately we don't have enough camera angles.

"I thought if it was a flop it was a straight tech?"

It was at the start of the season but they seem to have changed that now due to the criticism. So now it is a warning and then a tech

Reply #504706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Europeans get €1300 a game. Hardly your USD$500k.You also know that the pay scale is $80k (rookie) to about $220k. You should pay attention to the information leagues such as the AFL share.

Reply #504707 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon - I wouldn't worry about slowing the game down. NBL is a highly staccato game. Count the breaks in today's game. Or any game. It takes ~100 minutes to get through 40 minutes of playing time, with ~35 minutes of in-game breaks. 5 more minutes for 4 replays would not affect the product from the continuity point of view. And like the cricket has done, the tension around the outcome of the replay can be made part of the product.

It'd certainly be no worse than watching the repeated 4 second Sydney possessions followed by foul shots that made up the last 90 seconds of today's game time. Five of them. I can't imagine waiting for replay results could slow the game down more than that - or be more anticlimactic.

Reply #504709 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

Whoever said that some ref should be in NBA, being a FIBA referee and NBA referee is very different. Different rules in each, if i remember i dont think any NBA officals were in the olympics

Reply #504710 | Report this post

DQM  
Years ago

Evaluated by two fat blokes in the stands yeah that means heaps

Reply #504714 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The standard of refereeing is terrible.

This isn't just based on the 36ers result today, or Wildcat home games which are shrugged off as biased opinions: virtually every televised game has left me frustrated.

With regards to NBA referees: at least they are able to effectively implement a league-wide strategy ('superstar calls', advantage to the offense etc)... something our officials (Mal Cooper included) are seemingly incapable of achieving.

Reply #504715 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Fish rots at the head.Time for Mal to go.Got to be somebody better out there.

Reply #504716 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

I'm an Adelaide fan, I thought Sydney got the rough end of the stick. There were some clear fouls missed on Childress drives in the first half, and what the hell was up with all the travel calls? This is entertainment, if it's negligible don't call it. That travel on Childress on the spin was just silly. Yeah he may have just travelled, but who cares, casual fan see all these travel calls and roll their eyes.

Just thinking of it from an entertainment point of view. It's probably a credit to the umps they spot these travels, but I think it's the wrong emphasis for the health of the product to TV viewers who aren't Bball tragics.

Reply #504720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fans don't understand a decision, refs are wrong.

Fans disagree with a decision, refs are wrong.

Fans don't like the interpretation of a rule, refs are to blame.

The argument is so boring and immature.

Referees are human. Referees make mistakes, just like being a player, being a referee requires skills. Easy for everyone to sit in the stands from their view and disagree and the ref is wrong, maybe he is, but they call what they see based on what they're instructed the interpretation of a very grey rule book to be. But maybe they're right and you as the fan are wrong, considering you are biased, don't have the same instruction, don't have the same angle and don't have the same understanding of the game.

Players miss shots, make bad passes, coaches don't call time outs, mess up rotations, scorers stop clocks late or miss scores, referees miss calls.

It's called being imperfect, which all humans are. Even those on Hoops or in the stands. Get over it, sport is much less frustrating once you accept the world isn't perfect and sorry never will be.

Reply #504722 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

If it's that bad, and you guys are that knowledgeable....how about you get out there and start lifting the quality of reffing in this great nation of ours?

No?

OK - continue to bitch about it on an Internet forum....that should fix it.

Reply #504723 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

I agree with the above two comments, just hated the emphasis on travels.

Reply #504724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The standard of Adelaide fans in this league is diabolical. No wonder they are laughing stock of the NBL.

Reply #504727 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"the umps should be able to use the replays like they do in the NBA"
They can.

"I thought if it was a flop it was a straight tech?"
"It was at the start of the season"
You're both wrong. It's never been an immediate automatic tech for flopping. Warnings are given unless the flop is particularly blatant, pretty much exactly the same as anything else that can be penalised with a technical.

Reply #504728 | Report this post

anony  
Years ago

Need a new term for Childress forward Flops. 4 fouls called yesterday for him simply leaning so far forward on the turn and falling on his face. We have the Flophage, we have Childrop !

Reply #504730 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anons ruining a decent discussion as usual.

Standard is really bad this year. It really turns casual fans off. I wont watch neutral games because of how terrible it is.

Reply #504742 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

I acknowledge that officials, and fans, are human.

I also know that the rules of the sport are there for a reason - to ensure a fair contest between teams/players operating from the bases, so the less interpretation the better. Simply calling the game according to the written rules is hard enough.

Irrespective of which teams win and which teams lose, the refereeing is an issue. Objectively the standard is not good, and that impacts on the SPORT, even if it's 'the same for both teams'.

Going back to two on-court officials per game would be start. Would concentrate the available talent [i.e., we and the players would see more of the better refs and less of the poorer ones], change the on-court mechanics so they focus more on what is happening on the court and less on whether they are in the right 'sector' or whatever it is they call them, and make sure there isn't a 'spare' ref conveniently standing by the team bench where he or she can get into a nice conversation with the coach and lose focus on the game.

While we're at it, what is it with coaches putting their arms around players and coaches, and vice versa? Maybe says they want to be friends rather than arbitrators responsible for managing the game and ensuring a fair contest based on skill and ability.

All that said ...
- travels are important [see my earlier comment about operating from a standard base then think about trying to (legally) guard someone who changes pivot feet as s/he wishes]
- the standard of refereeing would improve quite considerably if coaches focussed on getting the ball handler/cutter taking his/her defender onto a screen so the poor player setting the screen doesn't feel the need to 'chase' the defender to get a 'pick' rather than a run past.

Reply #504772 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"With regards to NBA referees: at least they are able to effectively implement a league-wide strategy ('superstar calls', advantage to the offense etc)... something our officials (Mal Cooper included) are seemingly incapable of achieving."

The disappointing thing is last season they did that pretty well for the most part, but it seemed to get lost this season in the crusade to wipe out the flop, which was a flop in itself.

I've noticed just lately the refs have stopped giving so many flop warnings (though still two absurd ones on the weekend) and they are getting back to calling the game more consistently. I thought three games this round were called very well.

Hopefully it wasn't just an accident and we see a consistent return to the officiating from the second half of last season.

Reply #504784 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Referees Olympics gold medal game... still called terrible

Vidmar was right all along, such a pissant town with pissant supporters

Reply #504790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The blame for Adelaide losing should rest heavily with Wilson. WHat the hell was he doing 6 minutes from the end when he just decided that he should be the only one on his team that would shoot the ball.
No passes, no screens, no anything other than dribble dribble dribble fake fake shot . . . block, turnover score to Sydney. Look back and Wilson is still at the other end complaining about the no-call.

Too busy trying to get his numbers rather than winning the game.

His bigs must rejoice when he goes to the bench.
Saw Gibson make 4 assists to Schensher. Doubt if Wilson ever passed him the ball.

Reply #504798 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Perhaps there should be more of this:
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8934691

Reply #504802 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wilson had 7p on 1/3 FG and 4/4 FT in the final quarter. So five possessions ended with him for seven points.

The rest of the team was 5/16 FG, didn't get to the FT line and committed 5 TO. That is 21 possessions for 10 points.

Wilson has his strengths and weaknesses, just as Ervin did last year, but people who are blaming his offence for the 36ers' woes have blinkers on.

If you want to talk about his defence fair enough, but you should probably talk about a number of his mates too.

4 2/3

Reply #504807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach had on in the last few minutes, cold hands, Gibson 2 points Schensher 8 points, Teys 16 points, Petrie zip. how was he expecting to make up 9 points in 2mins with two people who had a combined total of 2points and had played a lot of minutes.

Reply #504820 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Look, while the standard of refereeing in the NBL leaves a lot to be desired.....the NBL has a long way to go to match NRL referee incompetence.

As someone who follows rugby league, the amount of blunders they make, even with the benefit of video replays, is beyond a joke.

Reply #504824 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If i had criticism of Wilson is that he tends to play in spurts.I think the 6ers need a more consistent 4 quarter scoring spread.What i did find interesting was why Perry got subbed after knocking down 2 threes in a row.If hes feeling it leave him out there.

Reply #504825 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree on that Holden, some of those NRL decisions are mind-boggling, and they seem to happen week after week. NBL refs do a far better job than that.

Reply #504831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are ruining the league :( :x

Reply #504861 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Serious question: can anyone name any league in all of Australia where the majority of followers don't seem to think the officiating is a disgrace.

Cause I've yet to find one.

So either Australians are constitutionally incapable of officiating well, or else there's something in the culture that makes the average Australian spectator completely stupid when it comes to assessing it.

Reply #504885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian's are culturally inclined to think they are as good as Jack if not a damn sight better. If you read Australian History by Ward, he outlines from early in our history we felt we were better than the army or the hierarchy their equal if not better. We as a culture do not take officialdom well, whether it is the teacher at school. never your child's fault for not learning must be the teacher. To why did the policeman book me I was only doing 15 over the speed limit what a thrill killer. Ergo we think the referee, umpire is wrong or an idiot. We blame them a lot. We blame the police for being there just as we were doing the wrong thing, we blame the government for our woes. We are the lucky country we just wish for it be our lucky not everyone's lucky. There we might watch cricket or rugby, football or basketball and believe we in the grandstand are in better position, have the rule knowledge to make a decision than the poor bloke in the middle after all what would they know. They have only spent umpteen hours on a cricket pitch or football field, spent hours doing rule knowledge exams, on field assessments but we who have never tried to blow a whistle or adjudge an LBW know we can do it better.

Reply #504895 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

One thing I will say is that I am glad basketball hasn't gone the way of a number of other sports in that the refs don't rely on video replays to make their decisions, even if the replay in the arena proves they got it wrong. Right or wrong, they call it as they see it and very rarely will they use a video replay to make a call.

Rugby league, rugby union, cricket, tennis....even Aussie rules, more and more they are using video replays and they still get things wrong. And often.

Reply #505020 | Report this post

peterward  
Years ago

"One thing I will say is that I am glad basketball hasn't gone the way of a number of other sports in that the refs don't rely on video replays to make their decisions, even if the replay in the arena proves they got it wrong."

Lol! Do you read what you actually write?

Let me spell it out for you, using your own words:
"I am glad....they got it wrong."

But it is good to know that there is at least one fan who goes to the games to watch and admire refs.

I am with you all the way - if only we could get rid of the 10 guys running around in singlets, the show would be so much better.

And then there would be definitely no need for any fancy video replays.

Reply #505025 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm with Holden, I can't stand stopping and waiting for a video decision. The game must go on!

Reply #505029 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

No one is ever glad when a referee gets something wrong during a game (except those who benefited obviously), but as a fan I am more accepting of human error when they make an on the spot decision rather than getting it wrong despite viewing numerous replays.

As we have seen over the last few years in sport, having the video replays available to officials doesn't always mean that they get it right. Hell, as I said just watch an NRL game and see how many times the video ref gets things wrong....and how much time they actually take doing it.

I guess I'm kinda old school in that thought. I would rather a ref make an on the spot decision based on what they actually saw with their own eyes rather than continually stopping the game just to view a replay. That is the kind of thing that makes watching the NFL so hard for me.

Either way though, at least one set of fans per game is never going to be happy with the refereeing. You're never going to please everyone.

Reply #505121 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754