Isaac
Years ago

Sturt win both at Morphett Vale

Sturt women got up 58-78. Jane Summerton led all scorers with an efficient 18 points from 9 FGA, shooting 3-4 threes and 3-3 from the stripe. Monique Bowley had 16 and 15, and Hannah Bowley had 9 and 13. Sona Dametto had 13 points and 3 steals.

Top HSA for the game was Simone Nelson who shot poorly (5-23) but still scored 16 points, had 15 rebounds and blocked 3 shots. Rachel Lister had 14 and 7 and Sarah Peddle managed 11 and 6.

In the men's game, Sturt flew to an early lead with the starters (Forman, Ng, Gower, Shepherd, Hackendorf) thoroughly dominating. I think it was 5-26 at one stage. Then when the Sabre subs came in, the Tigers clawed their way back. From there and for the rest of the game, the margin hovered between about 4 and 16 in favour of the Sabres. Final scoreline was 97-113.

Best for Sturt was Forman, throwing off any suggestions of post-Boomers exhaustion to play 44 minutes for 34 points (14-24 FG including 6-10 3P) and 12 rebounds (62 HSA), and Ng (34 points from 11-17 FG, 10-12 FT, 4 steals - 49.5 HSA).

The Tigers were lead by Brad Gerlach who was excellent all over the court for 21 points, 12 rebounds, 7 assists and 3 steals. Matt Hardiman had 25 points (5-8 3P), and Josh Wood was decent with 19 points shooting above 50%.

One of the game highlights was the match-up between David Shepherd (13 points, 6 assists) and Shane Boal (13 points, 5 steals) which looked to be a battle of speed.

There were a few awesome blocks from Sturt -- a couple from the Tigers on fast breaks too, probably Gerlach -- Oscar pinned Wood's dunk attempt against the backboard, Gower had a crafty block of one of the Hodges (I think) in the keyway from that baseline in-bound play to someone in the paint, and Oscar had another one where he literally grabbed the ball off a Tiger and held it one-handed using his forearm (you don't often see a block look more like a steal).

Good for Sturt to finally grab a win and I thought that the starters were in excellent form, but besides Mark Bauer (4-7 FG for 8 points), the bench didn't have a huge impact (Finkemeyer 17 minutes for 2 points, Benson 21 minutes for 0 points, Vaughn 11 minutes for 0 points). Sabres still playing without Paul Bauer (injured).

Topic #3601 | Report this topic

Rite  
Years ago

I heard that Southern men are on the hunt for a new coach?

Reply #41864 | Report this post

The Godfather  
Years ago

If anyone was at the Tigers V sturt game they would have kept hearinbg the sound of EAT IT from the sabres bench. Especially from Gower as Wood got his dunk blocked by Forman. It was damn funny to see gower on his feet yelling out EAT IT toward Wood.

Reply #41878 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

Gower is a sook - he likes to push and shove, but when he gets called for it he complains. If your gonna be a hardass, be one and don't complain about what you don't get a way with. Anyone agree or disagree?

Reply #41917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt may have the games but southern won best dj and best food by far!

Reply #41932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt will be ordinary without Oscar one would think, Gower IS a sook and is terrible to watch - the only good thing for the refs is they won't have to look after Oscar for the next two weeks. Dave Shepard is playing very well and will need to step up and lead the group without BIG O

Reply #41938 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OK, I'll take your bait: How were the refs looking after Oscar? The refs have nothing to do with 6 of 10 threes going in, or him hitting more than 50% of his shots (almost every single one of them from outside the key too).

He didn't go to the free throw line at all in that game, and only one player from the Tigers picked up more fouls than he did, so where was he being looked after?

Was it just me or was it true that every time the Tigers fan yelled out "clang" Oscar's three would be nothing but net?

The result of that game was decided by field goal percentage and not much else (given that the Tigers won the boards, hit more threes, went to the line more times and converted at a better rate, but lost the game by 16).

Reply #41949 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

isaac,
i am a tigers fan myself, and am a little disappointed that someone who is as classy as you are would jump at that bait.
oscar was clearly best on court in my opinion and i was very impressed with his shooting, and overall game. dont bother responding to some persons cheap shot, as he clearly has no idea what he is talking about. i thought the umpires were fair on the night, despite ben mcdonald teching bowley for saying "No"....he has no idea, and has almost zero ability to talk to the players. he is hopeless, neil was good.

Reply #41958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all late in the third when Tigers making another run - may want to ask Tom about the foul he got coz he was next to the fouling Oscar, when two people contesting a rebound (Oscar is 8 foot tall with hands up) didn't touch the ball last when contesting the d rebound (Sturt players setting up their D zone as they all thought it was Tigers ball).
Oscar played very well, shot well, D well I think they even put a smaller player on him coz they tried everything else! The result of that game was from first 1/4. O was super.

Reply #41960 | Report this post

Frank 'n 'Beans  
Years ago

I think its unreasonable to say Oscar was looked after, the lad can shoot from everywhere and did so, although Shane Boal kept him scoreless for the last 4 minutes.

16 points doesnt reflect the true story of the game, Sturt blew out to a massive lead early, Tigers showed great spirit and heart to get back in the game and were only down by 6 points with 2.00 to go.
Same late 3's by oscar and Darren sealing the deal.

**of note**
Shane Boal played the best game of his brief ABA career, his head to head battle with Shep was a game within the game itself. One would think he may be putting his hand up for academy selection.. He has the heart, time and the work ethic required to compete at that level.

As for the Ref's..... Neil was servicable.
Ben Mcdonald... WAHT A F***N JOKE.
The guy is a blight on the game, as much as adelaide needs ref's to hang around, they dont need him. His personal stouches with Billy Hopkins in the past have been well documented, and this game was no exception. After his efforts the public should ask for their money back.

This was a very good game to watch with both teams making runs and battling hard, if the Tigers had shown up for the first Qtr, who knows what could have eventuated...

Reply #41966 | Report this post

Frank 'n 'Beans  
Years ago

Sorry for a double post, apparently the sabres out scored the Tigers by 1 point over the last 3 quarters.
Some food for thought.....

Reply #41967 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I agree regarding that Bowley tech -- I didn't hear him say anything besides "NOOO!" and it wasn't really that aggressive or anything (seemed to be saying No as a personal reaction first and then was turning to go and talk to the umpire). Is it a tech for questioning/reacting to the umpire like that, or do they get a warning first? I mean, he wasn't aggressive, didn't swear or intimidate, etc.

The highlights of the game for me were Oscar (even if you remove my brotherly bias) and Darren (has been in excellent form over the last three games), Boal vs Shepherd (good spirited battled), and Gerlach (how many times did he save the ball when it was an inch from going out of court, or pop up in exactly the right spot for the rebound?).

Only dunk in the game was Gower in a bit of traffic, and drew the foul (but missed the FT).

Reply #41968 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

ben mcdonald was embarrassing on saturday night, i will be the first to admit that. however, i think when he can realist he is human along with the players, and realise that people are going to get emotional (even him), and he can learn how to better deal with those emotions, rather than just reacting and giving bowley a tech, or by ignoring a player, then he can be a good umpire. i think we should support our umpires, and work on their faults rather than just saying "he is crap"....ben does need some work.

Reply #42000 | Report this post

I think Ref B was a disgrace. He has now called 2 techs this season i have seen - 1 for the word "what" and one for the word "no".

Are these new hip swear words that I'm not down with.

I think he was just upset that he thought Coach Hopkins made a comment regarding his sexuality (he didnt).

What he actually said is that he likes Sixers not Fellas

Anyway Ref B you are a "no-face" translate that as you wish

Reply #42005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you people really have no idea...

You can get a tech for any number of reasons, one of which is

Questioning an umpires judgement.

You cannot dispute a 'judgement call' (which most calls are). If a player says "no" right after an umpires call, that can be interpreted as questioning an umpires judgement, and hence, warrants a T.

Now, here's the complicated solution...

just play the game. Don't say anything. That way there is less chance of getting a T.

Reply #42007 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

i am assuming that you are ben mcdonald or someone close to him. if you are going to tech someone for saying no, then to be a consistent referee you will be handing out 15-20 technicals a week...clearly you are not doing this, so stop reacting on the spot to a player just because you realise you may have made a bad call. also get some personality skills, so that you can take some constructive ffedback, umpires make mistakes just like players and coaches. now here is the complicated thing. play the game, dont say anything......you idiot!

Reply #42010 | Report this post

Frank 'n 'Beans  
Years ago

Anon# 42007

People questioned calls all night. Especially feisty young vaughan as he continually got drilled by Shane Boal.

Not to mention the crap he got from sour face Gower...

Crucial calls at crucial times, ben continued to disappoint....

Reply #42012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i should have mentioned, i wasn't at the game, and dont know B McDonald.

yes, there is an issue of consistency with referees. If you stick to the rules (dont question an umpires judgement call) then you wont get T'd. Its simple. And by the sounds of it, so are you.

Same Anon as (#42007)

Reply #42014 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

oh dear ben....getting T'd for saying NO is ridiculous, why cant you understand?

Reply #42016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give Benn a break, he's one of Adelaide's best referees! He refereed last seasons women's grand final. You don't get those games if you're as dumb as you are calling him.

Reply #42021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

B Mc needs anger management! he made Neil look very good

Reply #42032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would you prefer to have Benn Mc, John C or Tristan G?

Or John Beames!!

Reply #42036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any of the above ...... except Benn Mcdonald! (even Beamesy!!!!!)

Reply #42038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't know who John C, Tristan G are, I know Beamesy - and the answer is you would take any of them over Bennnn McDonanld, Oscar was massive, big threes at crucial times, hurt Tigers in a big way

Reply #42051 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

42021....i agree that benn has some very good attributes, he just needs to learn to deal with his own mistakes, and the fact that players are going to argue with him occasionally with out them deserving to be T'd for it. His ability to talk to the players is disgraceful, his refereeing abilities are quite good in my opinion.

Reply #42052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta say that in the first half prior to Bowley's techs, there were two clear team warnings given for player misbehaviour. Players don't have the right to question any referee, especially when they clearly foul. Players these days think their shit don't stink - and would be better off concentrating on their game (especially if they don't have much game in the first place) - I walked out midway through the third because I thought some of the players would've shown me their shit don't stink if they worried about just playin.

Thing is I also heard some cheap shit come out of Bill Hopkins mouth to refs too - something about Love Affairs???? over by the court anouncer yelling out stuff about Ean Turner (very low) - especially when he was yelling out F*** Wit and D*** Head - Mate get off the turps and get a life!!

Southern need to take a good hard look at themselves as a club and as a genuine business - because at the moment they are all acting like a pack of monkies out there. Come to think of it - there have been other ABA games I have walked out of this year too where the players are just acting like monkies. Get over yourselves players... get it handed to you on a platter and then stick your heads up your butt for too long that you don't know what the real world smells like !!

(I must say not all players act like this - that is why they are so fantastic to watch - because they are busy attending to skill - not stincking trash)

Reply #42071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must clarify the yelling out of something about Ean Turner and F*** wit etc came from some spectator that had a bald head and a green top sitting over by the court announcer - billy just said about love affairs??

After that shit I left.

Reply #42073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To clarify - sitting right behind Bill, I heard him say Sixers Love Affair to the ref (black hair - I think that was Neil) at half time - then he said it again in the third and got told by the ref that if said it one more time he would be chucked.

Why didn't they just f'n report him if they heard him - I wouldn't stand for being called a cheat and being told that I was having a love affair with any Sixer !!!

Reply #42074 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

Crowd was rather vocal. Game was close, i didn't hear bill make any of those comments. I did see Ben fire up at Bill during the game.

I believe the standard of the game played tested the collective ability of the umpires to control the game. It was by far the most physical game i've seen played this year. It wasn't violent - a pat on the back to all players concerned that egos were kept in check.

There were some blindingly obvious wrong calls down the scoreboard end, particularly the rebound/out of bounds call mentioned previously.

Reply #42082 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

anonymous, you have absolutely no idea. you cannot T a player for saying NO....that is the bottom line, that is absolutely ridiculous.

Reply #42150 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

i was at the game but was not in a position to comment on what was said or whether particular fouls were warranted. However it is a pity that a keenly contested game that produced the three highest hoops SA ratings for the weekend have attracted so much crap that is detracting from what was a damn good game. Looking at southern men's team they were very competitive and maybe one key player away from a finals campaign.
Given the lack of refs maybe it would be better to let the ref evaluator provide feedback.

Reply #42156 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

Well that would certainly clear up this topic.

Dingo, I think everyone agrees that the game itself was good, but I believe the umpiring was a little "lack-lustre".

Would've been an interesting conversation, me thinks.

Reply #42159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably not,

the biggest problem faced by the referee's is thaty the evaluator and Referee manager are the source of a lack of improvement.

Reply #42161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't matter what words are used. If a player loudly disputes a call so that most of the stadium can hear it, then the officials are being treated with disrespect - the player *can* be given a T.

Key word here is "can". Usually a general warning can be given for an intial non-offensive, yet loud dispute.

If words are spoken quietly, there is room for more leniency, unless what is said is personally offensive.

At any volume, referring to or speaking to an official using offensive language *should* earn a player a T - no warning given.

Reply #42163 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

i give up whoever you are anonymous, it is stubborn referees like you that cannot take constructive feedback or any feedback at all that disappoint me the most. i understand that everyone makes mistakes including every single player out there. however my piont all along has been that a player saying NO should not be T'd, and if you are anything near consistent then you would not T a player for this otherwise you would be handing out 15-20 a game.
thanks for the correspondence anyway, it has been interesting.
i agree with the above post in that it certainly was a good game.

Reply #42167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gertrude - which ump's would you like to see on ur game?

Reply #42194 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

i rate the following referees quite highly....
phil haines
wayne maidment
neil
nathan durant
the other nathan? wieland i think
that would be my top 5, i think they are all fairly consistent and are prepared to have a discussion with any player that asks a reasonable question in a respectful manner.

Reply #42207 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

top stuff getrude, can't complain with those choices, and i personally would add Mike Gibson to that list - he did the womens game sat night.

Reply #42233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

easy to get along with but are they any good refs?

Reply #42254 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

you asked me who i rate as umpires...and i gave you my answers.
did you not understand, i was also emphasising that to be a good umpire, i think you need to have some people skills, maybe you did not understand that bit.

Reply #42278 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

down boys ! its enough!! neither of you is going to win by having the last word....it just increases your chances of swallowing a fly. This thread is no longer adding to basketball knowledge or contributing to world peace and harmony.
THE END.

Reply #42291 | Report this post

Pickles  
Years ago

dingo is obviously some kinda of God to be able to get both Gertrude and anonymous to stop posting, but dingo is only one god, not the god... Lets face it, dingo isn't Issac.

Reply #42544 | Report this post

CBI  
Years ago

Hey, did anyone see that tech on Dave Bowley on Saturday night? I couldn't believe that one...

Reply #42546 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

I've tried not to go there, but thats just another issue that was hopefully dealt with by the Umpires Observer thingamejig person.

Reply #42632 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:54 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754