observer
Years ago

FIBA Oceania U19 C'ships 2014 in Fiji

when do the games start, and where can the results/stats be viewed?

Topic #36014 | Report this topic

JMc  
Years ago

Yesterday http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-3621-0-0-0&sID=286554

Reply #504938 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

many thks, but Wow looking at the results, is this tournament worth having??

Should go back to the old selection, Aust V NZ best of 3

Reply #504940 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Observer, while your point about results is not avoidable, this tournament is more than just about us and NZ qualifying for worlds, it is also about the game in the Oceania region.

Nonethless, results kind of won't change, how can small island nations compete with our population, facilities, expertiese and money??

Reply #504953 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

hi bear, it is difficult, we all want to improve the standard in oceania, but lop sided scores against world ranked teams will not achieve this result. A tournament without Aust and NZ i think would be more beneficial for these immerging countries.

A short tour to Australia or NZ with a couple of games against teams of their standard could be awarded to the winner of the tournament. This would cost less than sending out teams to Fiji for games that are of no benefit and reap better results.

Reply #504958 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

There is always room for considerations to improve such things, however if you were involved with a FIBA Oceania event personally and spoke with these young adults and kids who play against us and NZ you would understand that it is as much a cultural and personal experience for them as important the competition result is to us.

They absolutely look forward to an opportunity to play the big boys from Aus and NZ, they aren't that worried about the score, that's not the point for them, it is being able to play against the best oceania has to offer.

I think it is what makes Oceania unique, so I wouldn't change it by limiting the opportunity for island nations to experience playing against us, just to try to even up some results, it goes against the spirit of Oceania I think...

Reply #504961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The women's team scored 130 without hitting a 3 and only going to the line 4 times.
68 points off turnovers & 90 points in the paint.
What have they gained from this tournament?

Reply #505140 | Report this post

BOB911  
Years ago

Hey bear man, you need to get your hand out of cooke jar, this is a disgrace and waste of money. B.A should be enbarassed by sending our elite athletes over to fiji for a holiday. Would the USA,or other European countires do this, no way, they wouldn't waste there time.

Reply #505176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How come I can't stream aussie women's vs Guam?

Reply #505178 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

BOB911 - Your elite athletes have a good chance of not winning this tournament!!

Reply #505181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@BOB911, you fail to comprehend the reason for them being at the tournament, it is to qualify for worlds!

Reply #505186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez that girl destiny Castro from Guam women's team looks like a good prospect....

Reply #505187 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

BOB911 should really check his facts before posting such rubbish. If our teams didn't go then they wouldn't qualify for the WC. I am not certain, however, I am pretty sure USA don't have to go to a qualifying tournament due to the fact they are reigning champs, I could be wrong though.

Reply #505190 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

BOB911, I think you just proved that you have no idea about basketball.

Reply #505192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's lovely that the kids from around the region get a holiday in Fiji and they enjoy it, but how does this translate into improving quality or increasing participation?

Reply #505198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with the worlds happening mid next year, Will the max age be born after July 1995? Or beginning 1996?

Reply #505199 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Destiny castro could even score against our aussie girls. Guam are so small no wonder the score was that bad they managed 4 points from the field and 4 from the foul line. Our guards didnt even move out of first gear it was basically slight pressure on ball carrier Guam coighed ball up one of the guards scooped it up and passed it down crt usually to Montana farah seaton who has a field day cherry picking if you watch the live stream or they just passed it in to a big. The standard is terrible and whilst I can see how this event can be beneficial to those oceanic areas why can they not just let them have a tournament and the top two then come play Australia and new zealand to qualify.and from what I am hearing the facilities our athletes are dealing with are really poor with a lot of them being ill from it.

Reply #505210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Health and wellbeing of the athletes is paramount, that is not good news, if true!

Reply #505215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie girls should beat NZ by 30 to 50 points. This really won't be a contest at all. The Aussies girls have too much height, athleticism, skill & class.

Wish I could say the same about the boys. The NZ team have been very impressive. NZ has a significantly better 3P shooting % and have played every game with enthusiasm and ran out the games.

The same can't be said for the Aussies. They've been shooting poorly, have not played with much energy, but have still been able to post big wins like NZ.

I hear all of the team have battled with sickness and diarrhoea. So let's hope they're up for this as NZ look like they've put a lot of work into this one, whilst the Aussies look like they've been distracted with the U17's World's, a lack of preparation for this one and the last minute withdrawals of Humphries & McVeigh, who are big losses.

It will be a tight contest, NZ won't be easy beats & won't just roll over, just hope the Aussies are not over confident.

Reply #505426 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It will be a big test of character for the Emus, if the Tall Blacks don't choke we will have big problems, but over confidence may not be one of them...

Reply #505436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gems in control early in the final v Kiwi girls.

Reply #505456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half way into second qtr, Ella Hellessey from country Vic comes on with immediate impact. Girl has game!

Reply #505457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Gems keep it up by dominating assists, steals and rebounds this will be a walk over.

Reply #505458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kiwi girls having a go in the third qtr, getting close enough to make a challenge.

Reply #505460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gems came back and now with 3 minutes to go have a 20 point lead, well done to both teams. Looks like Gems will go to worlds for sure. Now for the Emus!

Reply #505466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

98-65, Gems came home strong to show how big the gap is between these two teams at the moment.

Reply #505472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well done girls on the win. Great game.

boys start in 5 minutes

Reply #505474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia have started this game with 2 shooting guards and 3 shooting forwards :)

Reply #505475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope the men Emus are healthy and fit enough to take on the mighty Hakka men?

Reply #505476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early signs not good, NZ dominating inside the paint while Aus are happy to jack up 3's and long 2's.

Reply #505477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone is watching the actual game, who is guarding Timmins? Anyone??

Reply #505478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two subs for Aust, the difference is zero, they just hit two more 3's to close the gap. No inside game without Humphries!

Reply #505479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finally, in comes Abi to make some presence felt under the hoop. Maybe not as tall as the NZ bigs but just as strong.

Reply #505480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Freeman comes in for NZ and they start jacking up long bombs, giving Aus a chance to hit the lead by giving up their inside advantage. Go figure?

Still 2 and half qtrs to go, long time!

Reply #505482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hunter not being used much, Froling looks like he must be ill, it will be up to Akintola and Vague to carry the load inside for Aus?

Second half could be interesting, NZ must feel they are a chance if they get back to their game plan.

Reply #505486 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Any Perth and NZ scouts at the tournament?

Reply #505488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krebs, Akintola and Vague doing a great job for Aus, Timmins the key for NZ.

Reply #505489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Freeman for NZ can't hit a barn with a bazooka, they need to get inside to Wynyard and Co. if they want to win.

Reply #505490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mind you, Vasiljevic and Blagojevic are also struggling for Aus at the minute with their shooting!

Reply #505491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not quite 3/4 time and looks close.

I will predict if NZ are going to win they need the following on court to do the job:

Bezzant
Timmins
Wynyard

If AUS men are going to hold on and get over the line they will need these guys to keep the pressure on:

Akintola
Krebs
Vague

Anyone else who can step up and make a difference from either team could tip the balance in this game!

Reply #505492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Final quarter is on, AUS has one, NZ has one and the third was drawn 21-21, AUS with a 5 point lead, exciting game!

Reply #505497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6 minutes to go and only a four point margin, AUS leading, running with only one starter (Wilson)!

Reply #505500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timmins! NZ within 2........... "~"

Reply #505501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would any college scouts be watching a game like this

Reply #505502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White and Wilson miss a 3 and a 2, Brooks for NZ makes a 2 and it is 68 all with a T/O and just over 4.30 to go!!!!

The natives are getting anxious, while I reckon they are getting warmed up over the ditch.

Reply #505503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is AUS coaching doing with those subs, NZ now in front by 2!!!

Reply #505504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three minutes to go, George hits a two and Dejan drives for one and is fouled by NZ big fella', free throws to come, NZ up by 1 point.............

Reply #505505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 2 minutes 75-75, Clark hit a 3 and NZ still going inside!!!!

Reply #505506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time out, bloody hell, this is making me nervous!

Reply #505507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vague a foul on Timmins and he makes both, that is clutch!

Reply #505508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom Wilson makes a two and gets it back to 77-77......

Reply #505510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then gives Dejan an assist for a three, AUS up by 3 under a minute left.

Reply #505511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vague fouled out, Froling comes in and NZ hit a F/T, score 80-78, T/O called............!!

Reply #505513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson hits one from two on the line, NZ T/O with 16 seconds on the clock and a 3 point lead to AUS!

Reply #505515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White in for Froling, he has had no impact, must be unwell!

Reply #505516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clark fouls, Hunter in for him and NZ on the line...... One down, a 2 point game and subs everywhere!

Reply #505517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bloody hell, NZ makes two more FT's and core is 81-81 with 13 seconds left and a T/O called by Aus I would presume!

Reply #505518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG, DJ makes his own shot, nails a three and AUS win 84-81 in a thriller. NZ will be filthy I reckon, well done both teams a final worthy of entry to worlds!

Reply #505519 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Ridiculous shot!

Reply #505520 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

U19 WC's here we come!

Great win by both teams - but how about Vasiljevic's gamewinner!!!

Emu's Recap: Emus qualify for World Championship behind Vasiljevic's gamewinner

Vasiljevic's game-winner (Vine): The gamewinning shot

Gem's recap: Aussie Gems Qualify for World Championships after defeating New Zealand

Reply #505552 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The final tournament recap is now up on pickandroll.com.au while there remains nothing on BA's website which seems a little strange.

FIBA Oceania U19 Championships - Recap + A look at the 2015 FIBA U19 World Championship

To cap off this eventful week of Aussie Hoops, we take a look back at each team's journey toward qualification – as well as what we can expect from these squads for their respective 2015 FIBA U19 World Championship campaigns

Reply #505738 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754