Isaac
Years ago

This is an assist in the NBA

The pass by Knight to the scorer (Mayo) was counted as an assist:

"Hey Brandon Knight had 8 assists last night. He must have actually been distributing the ball well, something he needed to improve on."
I went through all eight of Brandon Knight's assists because I had felt he hadn't distributed the ball well despite his 8 assists. I have gifs of all eight of Brandon Knight's "assists" to show what is considered an assist in the eyes of an NBA scorekeeper.

More from the same player and game.

Topic #36029 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

The statkeeper must have had Knight on his fantasy roster...

Reply #505143 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

There was an NBL season where Heal averaged something like 12 assist at home but 4 on the road.

The latest Gladnessgate attests that stats keepers all over the world have a hard time keeping up with the subjective stat

Reply #505156 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I watched the Gladness GIF/video that purported to show him getting 2-3 blocks. Looked to me like Henry got 1-2 of them first, and another was either with Gladness or a teammate. Certainly wouldn't be using that video to make my case, and certainly not as my first tweet complaining about personal stats after my team had lost.

Reply #505160 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

To me, an assist is when you pass it to someone, and basically all they have to do is put it in the hole. Maybe take a dribble or a couple steps if you have a clear lane.
The passer does 75% of the work, the scorer just finishes it.
Suppose this explains why PGs in the NBA average massively more assists per game than pretty much every other comp in the world. 4 players over 9.5 per game this season. We have 1 over 5 in the NBL.

Reply #505163 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Gladness or Henry, the big thing with that particular play is that Craig clearly takes 3 shots and is clearly blocked 3 times, yet on the official score sheet he only missed one shot and Henry got 1 block.
So whether you agree that Gladness should have had 3 blocks, or maybe 2-1 with Henry (either direction, I personally agree that Henry clearly has at least one of them), there's still 2 clear shots and blocks unaccounted for. And it's happened consistently throughout the season for Gladness.

Reply #505164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont get why the NBL doesnt tell the stats people to err on the side of a positive stat!?

Wouldnt it be better for the league to see a guy get 8 blocks or 14 assists etc?

Reply #505167 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"An assist is charged when a pass is made to a team-
mate who shoots and scores - provided the shooter's immediate intention, upon receiving the ball, was to shoot and that intention was maintained until the shot was taken. It does not prohibit an assist where the shooter takes time to balance or makes a small play to score, provided the scorer always intended to shoot."
http://www.fiba.com/downloads/Miscellaneous/FIBA_Stats_Manual20120920.pdf

Reply #505168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Catch and one dribble to score = assist to passer, anything more than this is no assist.

Reply #505191 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's directly contradicted by the actual definition of an assist, which was posted directly above your post.

Reply #505201 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

So, every pass to McRae or Wilson is an assist? They never intend to do anything but shoot when they get the ball.
Can the inbound after the other team scores be an assist? :P

Reply #505206 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"That's directly contradicted by the actual definition of an assist, which was posted directly above your post."

I think he's saying what he thinks the definition of an assist should be.

Reply #505212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct!

Reply #505214 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Assists are like steals they are dependant on the stats keeper interpretation.how many times do you see a player get the steal by a flick or tap of ball and a passing player who not helped with the d pressure scoop up the ball and get the steal awarded. Bit like the rebounder who doesnt box out but because the team mate does they are able to get the rebound awarded but who has done the hard work. Stats only give a partial indication of the game. Sometimes those who dont light up the stats sheets are the ones eorking the hardest by creating opportunities for others

Reply #505221 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

^Very true anon', see it all the time!

Reply #505238 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

so if i rebound under my basket and hit my guard with a pass at the half way line and he dribbles in and makes the lay-up that is NOT an assist?

Reply #505246 | Report this post

Other thing about assists, you get one for an easy pass to someone in the open court for a shot, yet you dont if you do all the hard work setting screens to open up the ball player. Subject calls are always the hard ones to write details for and have every one interpter the same way.

Reply #505247 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"how many times do you see a player get the steal by a flick or tap of ball and a passing player who not helped with the d pressure scoop up the ball and get the steal awarded."
If the stats people know what they're doing, never. The same FIBA document linked above defines a steal as well.

Reply #505255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Essentially, a pass that leads directly to the player scoring is an assist, where their initial intention was to shoot. If the scorer does too much to get the score (fakes a pass, dribbles around defenders etc) chances are low for an assist.

As for a steal - it must be a positive, aggressive action. Tapping it away from someone can be a steal.

Rebounds go to the player who gains control of the loose ball... it can be a tip out to a teammate or picking up a ball that has rolled around for a bit. Nothing for someone boxing out.

Reply #505706 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754