LC
Years ago

R9: Taipans vs 36ers

A loss for the 36ers tonight could spell doom for their finals aspirations.

Preview: Sunshine Swing Adelaide's latest challenge

Odds: Cairns $1.33, Adelaide $3.35

I can't see the Sixers getting the win this time, and expect that they will return home with a 7 game losing streak.

Snakes by 5 is my prediction.

Topic #36042 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The snakes would be sharpening their fangs after last night

Reply #505406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm giving Wilson the title of the leagues best, worst player.

If another gm just looked at boxscores he would be given a contract as his stats are great. Although watching the game it just doesn't seem to work.

Reply #505407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep smashing Wilson, what about Luke, Gibbo, Motum and co. Time they stood up and earned the big $$$. Wilson is most likely the 6th in line money wise and he is copping all the heat. Wilson at least can creat his own shot!!

Reply #505417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree ^^ Wilson is the scapegoat as he was in cairns when they were losing. Play some team defence Adelaide and the wins will come.

Reply #505440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilson definitely played better last night imo.

I agree with many peoples frustrations (including mine) he does take some bad shots and stops the offence, but i can sorta see why, half the time the rest of the guys are not attacking enough, so he is like f-it ill do it myself. Not always the best way to do it, and it hasnt really helped the team, but i can sorta see why he does it, many of our Aussie stars have had a bad month imo.

If Gibbo could be more consistent offensively, and a bit more attacking, he doesnt have to shoot all the time, but he looks so much better when he moves the ball up quickly and/or drives the basket and attackes the rim for either a dish or score. These things have not been happening much and the ball is not moving with purpose from most of the guys including Gibbo.

Maybe they dont combine that well, but yea the ball doesnt move well this year so guys like Wilson are atleast trying to make things happen, which can be bad at times, but atleast effort is there, which isnt always with some others imo.

Im not saying Wilson is perfect or Gibbo and others are that bad, but its not all Wilsons fault.

As said above, start with putting in defensive effort, Motum should be able to grab 8-10 rebounds a game, he is supposed to be better than DJ given he is fringe/NBA and a boomer, but he hasnt done as well as DJ so far, i hope that changes, would just love to see some defensive rebounding effort from him, and basic principles, boxing out, etc. That would go along way to helping us win.

The ball in general needs to move quickly and with purpose, it did mostly last year, with a fair few of the same guys back, last year Joey was push the ball, push the ball, push the ball at all times, and it was great, this year its almost the opposite.

I want them to watch last years videos, and play the same, Wilson can do a half decent Ervin from last year job, Motum should be able to fill DJs role, the rest of our key guys are pretty much back, im shocked we are playing so bad.

Maybe we should have spent a tad more and kept Ervin and Carter for say Wilson and Crawford, i reckon we would look alot better right now if we did. But those changes should not be fatal, its not even that big of downgrade on paper.

The issue to me is defensive effort, defensive rebounding and not enough aggression and pushing the ball offensively from most players, which in a way is the cause of Wilson doing what he is doing, atleast he trys something is now my attitude to him, as much as he has frustrated me at times too.

I put more of the blame on a couple of our boomers who need to step up, which im not sure its coachings fault either, but yea Joeys job is to get these guys playing well so im sure he is trying things.

Reply #505498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this game on free to AIR TV?

Reply #505499 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"he is supposed to be better than DJ given he is fringe/NBA"

Khazzouh and Nevill were fringe NBA not so long ago too, as was Farrakhan, it doesn't mean much.

Reply #505512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

true, we probably over hype the fringe/ex nba thing in the NBL.

I can see why the Jazz cut Motum and signed Ingles when he became available, a huge upgrade.

Reply #505514 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Free to air NBL on a Saturday night?

Haven't had that since the early 1990's.

Reply #505525 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

If you have a sportsbet account, you can watch for free through there live stream. It works every time perfectly for me. Accept when I bet with my heart NOT my brain, and the hers cost me money haha But you don't have to bet to watch, just have a legit account.

Reply #505529 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

also if you have a bet365 account, its also on live.

tend to think we will get hammered tonight.
in the next 2-3 games, I cant see a W coming

Reply #505540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the record you have to deposit money into your betting account before you can access their streams.

Reply #505550 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

We're keeping it close, but that's about it right now.

Reply #505559 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Finally we come out after half time and actually play some basketball.

A 48-38 deficit at the break is now back to a single point at 61-60.

Reply #505560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha on TV that's reserved for perth

Reply #505561 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

What is with Motum and his mid range Euro-step floaters?

Reply #505562 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

Yep, there ya go. Wilson gotta do the impossible shot, and we cough a 3 to go 9 down.

surprise surprise. all about me, me and me

Reply #505563 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Nothing against what you said Marcus but can someone actually explain what a "Euro-step" is?

To me its something Carfino came up with (may be wrong) to explain something he hadn't seen before and its now caught on with people calling a Euro-step without actually knowing what the hell a Euro-step is.

Reply #505564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still think there are a few who are playing out this season so they can elsewhere with new teams next season and they are hoping the fans and club will be happy to see them go.

Reply #505568 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Joey booted from the game!!!

Reply #505569 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Joey, oh Joey xD

Good job, son

Reply #505570 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

What can you say anymore.

Reply #505571 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Sorry for the language folks but....

Good phucking grief!!!!

Reply #505572 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

HoldenV8 the "Euro-step" is a correct term used around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lk6-vgNGZM

Reply #505574 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

I think in all sports, umpires and refs need to have a media conference to justify their calls. For all sports, not just basketball or AFL or NRL.

Like a flop on Gliddon? He didn't do a wagstaff!
or a charge on teys, with a no call?

I know why the CEO left. The game is shit-house right at this point. and shit-house all over

Reply #505576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

going to be great paying motum big money next year for 18 mpg.

Reply #505577 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Its all good we have Hollywood Mal in charge, oh wait he is in the USA. Really poorly officiated tonight for both teams. Wilson was about to get a pass form me tonight, then his 4th quarter heroics and odd shot selection and kamikaze penetration came in to play again. Bad import choice that one, i mean really bad. Now we are dealing with the consequences 7 games strong.

Reply #505578 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

formosa the NBL is too small so there is never any accountability for the umpires so they never get any better.

A couple of bad calls but you have to expect that away. If there was lots of bad calls throughout the game then that is a problem which there has been in games this season however this game I thought the umpiring was fine.

Sixers showed fight in that 3rd quarter and had the chance to continue the momentum into the 4th. Joey then does a stupid move by starting Peter Crawford (1-5 at that stage and not playing well at all) over Mitch Creek who had a great 3rd quarter. To Crawfords credit he hit a 3 but so did the guy he was guarding. This was a Marty Clarke coaching decision. Why not go with the players that have been playing the best this game and see what happens. Instead we lose total momentum and there went the game.

Great game tonight by Wilson especially with 6 assist. A solid game by Creek. I am hoping Creek gets more minutes.

Reply #505582 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Time to be brutal in some cases and not so in others.

Adam Gibson: 5 points, 3 rebounds and 2 assists in 31:46 is simply not good enough from the team captain and a current Boomer. Another game as a passenger.

Jamar Wilson: 22 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists in 30:45. Not bad but 9 of those points came in the last 1:30 of the game. And surprise surprise some selfish play at the wrong time saw Cairns draw out a match winning lead in the last.

Mitch Creek: 12 points, 2 rebounds and a steal in 25:37. Would like to see him getting a few more rebounds. Kept Stephen Weigh quiet with Marty Clarke's former love child only scoring 1 point for the game.

Anthony Petrie: 10 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist and 3 turnovers in 27:22. Not nearly as effective as the team needed.

Luke Schenscher: 10 points, 5 rebounds and 1 assist. Need more from the big man. He had a clear height advantage over his rivals tonight and should have done more, especially as he only had 1 foul to his name.

Brendan Teys: 6 points, 3 rebounds and 5 assists in 17:28. Also had 3 turnovers. Serviceable tonight without having much of an influence.

Peter Crawford: 5 points, 1 rebound and 1 steal in 14:40. Needs to see more open shots from outside.

B.J. Anthony: 4 points and 2 rebounds in 12:19. Never a big scorer but as a PF he should be grabbing more rebounds.

Brock Motum: 6 points, 5 rebounds and 1 block in 18:07. 6 points from a Boomer and ex-NBA player is not good enough is it. 5 rebounds sounds ok but not when Craig and Burston grab 10 and 7 each.

Tom Daly: The only time he got off the bench was at the end of each period or when there was a time out and those actually playing got to sit for a minute. Averaged 24 seconds per game over the Sunshine Swing after getting 48 seconds in Townsville. A wasted trip for him really.

Joey Wright: Ejected in the last. Looks like the frustration is getting to him.

This team is in trouble. This team is in BIG trouble.

Reply #505584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack Motum, bench Wilson and bring back DQ. At least he is mobile. 2 bigs and neither can run the floor. Not good enough with this or last years opposition. Hate to say it but predict the spoon.

Reply #505585 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Never a good sign when the coach gets ejected. Id say he has officially run out of ideas. This team should be no worse than 7 and 5, instead it stinks and its over before the xmas break. Worries me that since Wilson has come back, Gibson has become a ghost. And worries me that even thought its obvious to many supporters, Wilson has been allowed to continually hog the ball.... Wonder if Joey has the balls to bench him.

Reply #505586 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Bit harsh calling Wilson's play at 6 pts down selfish. Three other team mates had missed 4 shots between them to see the 36ers fall from 1 up at 9:00 to 6 down at 6:40. I don't see his play at that point costing the game. It was also his first shot for the quarter.From that point on, he hits 4 of 6 and his team mates hit 0 of 4. I'm just going by the play by play, so happy to be corrected if it looked different on live steaming, but it doesn't read like Wilson was the problem offensively in the last quarter.

Reply #505587 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Its hard to explain without watching, but his stats lie, and go against the flow of the game. The stats don't show how much dribbling he does before trying to find a crease and hope for a foul to be called, those plays don't go down as TO's but they are as good as. He over dribbles and isn't really a true point guard, yet isn't really a true shooter either. Very frustrating player to watch and attempt to support.

Reply #505588 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

The best team games this season were played without Wilson.

He may have padded his stats at the end but he negates too many other players when he controls the offense. He may have had 6 assists but how many blocked shots should be added to his 1 turnover!!

He needs to go to be replaced by an athletic taller player who can impact off the bench.

We need the other Gibson back and that is not going to happen as long as Wilson's ass is below a sixers singlet!!

Please! Another mid season restructure!!

Reply #505589 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Without Wilson tonight u lose by 20. He's a clever player & proved it again in his uncanny way. Loved his NY accent in after game interview. Joey is frustrated & not used to losing. Motum is very ordinary & u miss DJ big time! Adel had ordinary roster at start but most penned into playoff predictions due to savvy coach. Joey's back with the pack & he don't like it....

Thought the reffing was ok BTW

Reply #505590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fuck I'm not sure who going to score if not Wilson ? Terrible Offences are B grade at best!

Reply #505591 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

PeterJohn you called it correctly.

Some games Wilson has been bad but he has been changing his game recently however people see him stuff up a play in the 4th and totally forget about all the great things he did in the game. They then also blame him for Gibson's game (0-3, 1 rebound 2 assist, 1 turnover 14 minute second half).

Wilson drove in the 4th quarter and even the commentators said it was a foul. Next play down he had a shot just inside the foul line and missed it = Wilson lost the game for us apparently.

Reply #505594 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@Ayjay "The best team games this season were played without Wilson." That is not true. Against Sydney without Wilson we played rubbish. Down by 19 in the 4th with the game over we came back to make the score respectable when it wasn't a good effort. Sixers also beat Townsville in Townsville by 14. We also smashed Hawks which was another good team effort with Wilson playing.

@orbit "Without Wilson tonight u lose by 20." Correct

Reply #505596 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Look, in one sense I can understand Wilson playing like he does and right now he does seem to be one of the few in this team who is putting in on the court. And I'll admit that without him in the past few games we'd have seen more thrashings like Melbourne gave us. But he has a knack of being the king of bad timing and coming up with a play for himself (usually a drive to the hoop) that results in a poor shot because opposition teams know its coming. They double or triple team him and force a turnover (even if they don't count it as a turnover on the stats sheet).

I'm not trying to blame Wilson for the teams problems, they have bigger issues right now than him (defence for starters. But for some reason the team as a whole seem to play better when he's not out there.

Reply #505597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Value for money Wilson is the best player we have, Gibson hand must shake on pay day!!

Reply #505598 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

You 3sixers fans may be frustrated to the max but there was little to complain about, just the outcome.
I was impresssed the way Adelaide denied Cairns their presumtive win throughout the last three quarers. Weigh, Bruce and Young had no real impact on the outcome. Burston, Gliddon and Craig made it happen, and although Wilbekin's D has to be recognized, his turnovers and wasted seconds with the ball make Wilson's night seem very professional indeed.
Adelaide has the tools. I'm going to say Gibboo is the problem. Let the team stop deferring to his status and let each do what he does best and they will have a different seasons' end.

Reply #505599 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

@KingJames

Wilson played some good minutes against Sydney. It appeared obvious to me that Joey was trying to adjust his style but he kept slipping backwards and as I recall Joey benched him in frustration for the entire third quarter. he brought him out in the fourth in desperation but really the game was lost. I have nothing personal against Wilson but he is a real problem to fit into the team without negatively affecting the offensive dynamics of all others.

Re read Kobe-24's post, he summed him up pretty well I think.

Wilson did not lose the game for us tonight, Joey did. Its his job to bring out the best in all players and blend them to get a result. For all Wilsons talent I think that Joey will not be successful in blending him well. He and Ervin are somewhat alike I think. I believe he will lose more games for us than he can win.

Against Sydney Joey was also hell bent on posting Motum up inside the key. He is way too slow from a flat footed start in congestion and needs to get the ball outside or at least on the move to bring his best blend out.

Just my opinion KingJames and I do respect your own. I will be interested to see how Joey and the club are going to react to 7 losses straight.

I love the sixers but am feeling the frustration this season again.

Can the Sixers fund another restructure or has finance really influenced our recruiting?

I will watch Hoops with interest.

ps meant to highlight another stat

fast break points 0

Reply #505600 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@Ayjay, you made some good points.

It is fine to agree to disagree.

"I love the sixers but am feeling the frustration this season again." That is all of us!

"Can the Sixers fund another restructure or has finance really influenced our recruiting?" No need for a restructure, we just need a few changes. Even though I have been saying good things about Wilson a Stephen Dennis type of player would be a great addition to the team next year. Also will Gibson stay or will he go to the new franchise? If he goes then we will have a large sum of money to target a gun import or if that is not enough money still then let go of Crawford. With those changes and Brock having 3 quarters of a season as well as a full pre season the Sixers will be in a great position next season.

Reply #505603 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Gibbo has lost interest in playing.

Wilson then has to step up and make things happen which means the defence focuses on him.

I feel sorry for Wilson because he can drive but the help defence covers him and there is seldom someone there to pass to, so he either has to chuck it up or throw it back out to one of the other 4 WAITING outside.

Thats enough for being down on the team....

Lets give Cairns due credit, in particular, Craig and Tragarh.

Craig has to be one of the best value for money imports in the league. I hope he gets a starter role next year somewhere.

Reply #505608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gibbo has already checked out...

the problem with this team has got more to it than individual players. being around the team last year to this there is a huge difference. No confidence no swagger. And not jus after these losses but from the outset.

For us members and fans, its now a case of riding it out to the end of the season. At which point we'll probably see the end of the gibbo, peach, creek, schench,era.

Jus have to remember, we support the club first...not the team.

Reply #505609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers in trouble officially. Joey seems really frustrated as he isn't used to losing and has only had one bad year on Gold Coast when he got injuries. You can't blame Wilson for these losses in my opinion as the defence is the main issue. Wilbekin and craig are the difference between last year and this year with cairns.

Reply #505620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo losing interest/checking out is a huge issue, far more than Wilson, he is our captain, supposedly our best Aussie player and probably our highest paid player, i dont care how good or bad the team is going, play hard each and every game and earn your pay check! Otherwise the owners might lose interest in paying you!

Gibbo is a good player when he is on, but he is very inconsistent. Both offensively and with the effort levels, especially when things are not going well.

Also on the teams that he won the title, he wasnt the best player on the team, at the Bullets he had MVP Sammy Mac, Ebi Ere, CJ, Dusty, etc at Dragons he had Ingles, Darden, Donta Smith, Wortho, etc. So the fact he has been on a couple of championship teams doesnt mean he is a 'franchise player', which is what we are trying to make him. Even last year we had DJ and Ervin.

He is the best Aussie guard we have had since Maher, but Maher was a huge step above, especially offensively and with consistency.

To me at the moment Gibbo is a bigger issue than Wilson, and really needs to step up in the effort areas, its fine to be a defensive player, and yes everyone has games when there shot isnt dropping, but not excuse for not trying to influence the game like what D. Martin does at Perth, he can score 2 pts and have a huge influence on the game, its time for Gibbo to step up.

Reply #505624 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

So tell me 2 months on from the last time....who would you rather on your roster now?

Gibbo or D Martin?

The 36ers lack of D is most certainly the biggest weakness IMO.

Reply #505625 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It would be a long trip home from Cairns!

An even longer week at Adelaide Arena. The Monday morning training and the Monday afternoon review sessions could get interesting.

Reply #505629 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

The next four rounds will be crucial for the Sixers.

MEL (H)
PER (A)
CRN (H)
TSV (H)
CRN (A)
NZB (H)

To have a chance at playoffs, they must at a minimum beat MEL, CRN and TSV.

The Sixers would have to win 4 of their next 6 to be in a position to challenge at the two-thirds mark of the season. However there is a decent gap between 4th and 7th.

Any loss against CRN or MEL makes things doubly difficult.

With full buy-in from all players, they can do it.

Reply #505635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's really concerning not just the 7 game losing streak but Gibson's fade outs. Look like a world beater for two games without Wilson and then seems to sulk and become an overpaid role player again.

Initially I was concerned about Wilson's selfish game but now at least he's giving a damn unlike Gibson.

Reply #505637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fanci-ful, right now id take D.Martin, on his day Gibbo is the better player, especially offensively, but his days are too few and far apart, so yea id take D.Martin, atleast he works his but off all game every game at both ends of the floor.

I must admit the Aussie depth thing with Gibbo, Petrie, Schenscher, Creek, Motum (previously including Weigh, Cadee, DJ) hasnt been overly successful, part of me reckons its time to make a massive change to the roster and let some of these guys go or offer them reduced $$$ as they are more expensive than many imports, whilst sort of taking a import spot and putting up less production than many imports would for less $$$

I think we should build around a core of Teys, Creek, Anthony, none of them likely to ever be super stars but all decent and work hard at both ends, and would be able to get for reasonable value. Then add in Motum, Schenscher (on a slightly cheaper deal or we cant afford to take him) and 2 good imports who fit the team well.

Imports id go for basically Stephen Dennis and Josh Childress, if we cant get those actual guys, go for the closest thing to them we can find.

PG Dennis/Daly
SG Teys/? Maynard
SF Childress/? Leon Henry
PF Creek/Anthony
C Motum/Schenscher

(open to having Petrie and Gibbo back at the right price, say $120k for Gibbo, 90k for Petrie if they get more elsewhere so be it, (Petrie may be under contract, if so he would fill the back up fwd spot) which i expect them to, hence i havnt included them in my line up, pool there money together and go after a Childress type import)

Back up sg and sf spot, not exactly sure, i wouldnt mind say Corey Maynard or Sam Johns type at sg, and at worse a Brad Hill/Leon Henry type at SF, but yea find the best we can get in those spots for what ever $$$ we have available.

To me that would be a good, hard working line up and the right style of players at each position.

given this core has given us 1/3 good seasons, i was one who expected us to be decent and said it wasnt all doom and gloom at the start of the season. It hasnt worked, id say we are unlikely to make playoffs, so im ready to blow this thing up.

Wilson hasnt been perfect, but he isnt alone, so i dont blame Wilson for this, despite getting frustrated at him at times, atleast he puts in a decent effort and is trying something!

Reply #505639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why do people continually give BJ Anthony a good wrap? the guy is useless.

Reply #505640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a fan of BJ, he is very solid imo, big strong body, punches above his size competing against bigger guys, always works hard at both ends and has shown a few nice offensive moves lately too. He is also good value for money when compared to many locals around the NBL.

He is someone id want on my team, never going to be franchise player or star, but is a nice solid player to have on your team.

A bit like Reesy was back in the day.

Reply #505643 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

For what he is on and for his role I don't think you can really bash BJ at all. Wont set the world on fire but gives his all consistently and within his limits.

Reply #505673 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Didn't stop people dumping on DQ.

For what he would have been on and his injuries...I thought he was servicable.

Reply #505681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i was also a supporter of DQ, he played his role well, given the role/minutes he was given imo, and lets be honest the team was doing much better when he was on the roster. Never a star but solid imo.

I was excited to get Brock, but always wondered if we could have fit him in say PC's spot and kept DQ, points wise it works, but ah well.

Reply #505682 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Have to agree on BJ. He's never going to be a Mark Davis type who grabs just about every rebound and has a big personal tally of points each game. But while he's often going up against PF's who are bigger than him, he never shirks his job and gives his best even if outmatched.

The biggest problems this team has are its defence (though last night was slightly better) and players going missing for large portions of the game.

Gibbo has the talent, question is does he really have the desire? For the past 4 or 5 games he's been nothing more than a passenger and taking up over 30 minutes per game doing it.

I'm also starting to think that Joey is sometimes too quick to rotate his players. Take Friday night as an example. Although sitting on 4 fouls Peach was keeping us in the game early in the last, yet Joey subbed him out and it all went downhill from then on. I hoped subbing out players who were playing well would be a thing of the past when Clarke was sacked. Its crept back in this season.

Reply #505683 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Oh dear mentioning 'The Chairman' and BJ in the same sentence is a serious insult to MD.
great idea keep Peach on and see him foul out quickly. Drag his arse and you can't coach. That's why he is the HC and you aren't. Clearly Clarke was Wright ;)

Reply #505690 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Marcus - agree the 36ers need to go 4-2 or better over that period. The real problem facing us is that it's likely that making finals definitely will need no worse than an even win-loss record. We need to lose no more than 5 games for the remainder of the season to achieve that. i.e., 11-5 for the rest of the season, which includes 3 games v Perth, 2 vs NZ, 2 vs Melbourne and 2 vs Cairns.

The other barriers to overcome are the H2H splits. We're now 0-2 against each of Melbourne, Cairns and Sydney. Points' differentials are -42, -15 and -14, respectively. Given the 36ers' W-L record at this stage, finals would hinge on beating Cairns and Sydney twice each, by margins big enough to win those H2Hs, while dropping no more than 5 games against all other comers. Even then, we'll rely on other results to get there.

None of this is impossible. Nonetheless, we need a huge turnaround to get there. Like others, I'm scratching my head to understand why a team that looks a play-off contender on paper is in such a deep hole. It leaves me wondering if the turnaround is achievable. :(

Reply #505708 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Adelaide's season is now precariously on a ledge about to fall off (if it hasn't already).

Recap: Cairns continues dominance and make Adelaide pay on a back to back

Adelaide faces Melbourne next week and right now I can't see how the 36ers can win that game.

Reply #505735 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Peter John...

If the Sixers do no t go 4-2 in those 6 games, the season is practically (though not mathematically) over.

In which case might as well give major minutes to Teys, Creek (to develop them further), Motum (because he has another year after this), Peach and Gibbo to try and get them to stay, and finally Daly.

Then use that time to gauge what type of imports will complement this team next year.

If Creek's jump shot does not eventuate, then you need an import wing.

If Gibbo wants to run PG, then an import 2 guard.

At the very least the year can be salvaged to give fans hope and excitement for the next season.

Reply #505746 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Sure - my real concern is that 4-2 probably is not going to be good enough for the 36ers to remain a threat. I actually feel that 14-14 won't be good enough for finals this year and 15-13 will be the minimum benchmark (especially with the H2H situations for teh 36ers). I can't see the 36ers losing only 4 games or less for the balance of the season.

This year's competition is really tough. We're less than half way through and only one team has less than 4 losses, even though everyone has played less games than the 36ers have left. Making 4-2 will leave the 36ers having to go 8-2 to the end of the season. I think that's too big an ask - sans injuries to key players in other teams.

Reply #505790 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

PS - fine with your suggestions about shifting the focus to next season, should 4-2, 5-1 or 6-0 not happen.

Reply #505791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys the seasson is DONE. Not sure what people are drinking but its been done for a few weeks, this team cant win. Respectability and probably a couple of upstes is all we can hope for. Its Clarke all over again, not guts no heart no biff about them at all.

Reply #505792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delonte West is available:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11901716/pg-delonte-west-released-shanghai-sharks

Reply #505797 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Delonte West is available:" No thanks

Reply #505799 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

There are now three teams on 9 wins, in the home straight of collecting their finals berths very early. Sydney and Melbourne will be fighting hard to round it out.

I just cannot see how Adelaide possibly reenters finals contention from here.

Reply #505802 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

This was Adelaide's 1000th game right?

Reply #505807 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Yep.

Reply #505809 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

As sad as this is to admit, I personally think that Adelaide can't afford to lose any more than 3 games, 4 at most, for the rest of the season if they want to make the playoffs. And on current form that is not going to happen.

I won't stop supporting this team, but it'll be frustrating for the rest of this season. Ah well, I'm used to frustration.....I have followed West Adelaide in the SANFL for long enough.

Reply #505859 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Peter you are right...... .5000 is not going to cut it 4-2 is a minimum to get the team to believe they can make it work...and to give the fans a reason to support the team.

Its been said before....if the team just gives a half-assed effort for the rest of the season, people will just sop coming or stop being engaged.

That would be disastrous for the Club, given they were probably expecting a bigger attendance and playoff revenue from the Motum gamble.

Reply #505879 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754