LC
Years ago

R9: Melb UTD vs Crocs

Big game for both teams today.

Preview: Townsville look to close out weekend against sharp-shooting United

Melbourne is on a two game winning streak after demolishing Perth and scraping past Adelaide in round 8, however they may be missing star recruit Jordan McRae for this one. McRae, who is averaging 21 points per game this season, has jettisoned to the States for the birth of his child and may not be back in time for tip-off. If he is not back, his production will be sorely missed.

Both teams have been inconsistent.

For mine, Melbourne by 5 at home.

Topic #36045 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reckon townsville get this if McRae is out. Melbourne could struggle with gladness and Conklin inside as melbourne aren't big. Melbourne need Dennis or kickert to step up without McRae.

Reply #505621 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

kickert will have a big day, Melbourne by 15.

Reply #505623 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

Melbourne by 9.
Team is strong and has loads of potential IMO.

Reply #505627 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's Melbourne's game to lose. If the Crocs get a sniff, then watch out!

Reply #505628 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Melbourne are slowly emerging and if they can get their shit together will challenge Perth and NZ.
Melbourne by 13

Reply #505633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs a good chance with McRae out.

Reply #505638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs only bad game lately has been against wollongong on the road. im picking them without McRae

Reply #505641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Gladness guard Kickert as I can't see him being able to get out to his 3s and still try and protect the paint the way he likes to.
Townsville are quite good at chasing teams off the 3pt line although that is easier with Gladness sitting in the paint and not next to Kickert on the 3pt line.

Reply #505642 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

United flying early.

Off to a 16-0 run to start the 2nd.

currently 37-20

Reply #505650 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Crocs 22 points down and looking abysmal.

Reply #505651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Within first five minutes of the refs calls it is clear that the Crocs can not win this game. They are receiving the calls that all teams receive against the Big 3 get !

Watch the crappy mid court make up calls later in the game against Melbourne, but won't be called on the Crocs Offensive. So predictable.

Too much Conflict of Interest and Directives to suit the few.

No, not a Crocs fan either before you all start.

Reply #505654 | Report this post

Ano  
Years ago

If they want to open up the key for the specky drives and high scoring game just do what the NBA does and put in the 3 sec defensive. Not that it will be called as they can't call the Offensive 3 second either...

Reply #505655 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I actually agree with you ^

Crocs couldn't get a call at all. It was appalling.

Gladness was the number 1 victim.

Reply #505656 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

Who's in commentary

Reply #505659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible umpiring and I'm a neutral supporter. Fans go to see players play, not see the refs. Disgraceful - hope one of these refs get given a whistle ever again. They are making me hate the game I love

Reply #505661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep,never thought I would say that the break from BA was a bad move !!!

What is with the love in from Gaze and Carfino ???

Prediction 7 is picking up the game..

Which Team has a connection there ????

Reply #505662 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Crocs trailing by 7 2:30 to go in the last.

Reply #505663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SUSPECT CATEGORY - term used by Gaze for the Crap calls on Gladness !!!! A few Umms as well and he seemed to hold his tongue a lot !

Reply #505664 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Markovic to the line with 2:12 to go. Make both. 5
point game

Reply #505665 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

My first look at the new Margaret Court Arena (on TV). Definitely looks the part and looks more suited to basketball than Hisense Arena does.

We play Melbourne next. Can we avoid equalling our record 8 game losing streak?

Reply #505666 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Crocs 23 t/o and down the stretch they continue to t/o. Will cost them the game undoubtedly.

Reply #505667 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Melb are way too casual atm

Reply #505668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible coaching from dmac no timeouts!

Reply #505669 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

That was not a foul on Corletto. Unbelievable.

Reply #505670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy carry and travel by Corletto let go at 12 to go..

Reply #505676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obvious foul on that Vanderjagt shot but yep, no call.. Crap call... Seriously bad reffing.

Reply #505679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROBBED !

Reply #505680 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

I looked up casual in the dictionary and I saw 2 photos there, Anstey and DMac. Nuff said.

Reply #505688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've watched him a number of times now but for the life me can't work out how Gladness ever played in the NBA.

Not much going on between the ears which might explain why he didn't last long.

Reply #505697 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

hard to watch the refs

Reply #505700 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Can see how Gladness played NBA as he is an NBA level shot blocker just is horrible at everything else at NBA level. Not a smart player. Liked the fightback from Townsville showed a lot of toughness a pity Markovic is injured right now.

Reply #505704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great enteratining game. United got their home cooking but that's nothing new.

Really wanted Crocs to pull through, but they executed pretty well down the stretch I thought.

Reply #505707 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

im a melb fan and at the game but im sorry the officiating was horrible! The fouls called on gladness were riduclous and basically clean! and then as soon as he goes off someone jumps on a guys back to block the ball!

Anyone else at the game see all the shot clock? could barely read it and almost feel off! not v professional!

Reply #505712 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Got the home cooking after leading by 22. Crap.

Reply #505727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 teams involved in a game of basketball - 2 of them are professional, 1 is a joke and are letting the whole league down. they made the whole game almost impossible to watch today. the home fans were forced to watch a FT contest and the fans at home were treated to Carrion & Gaze talking about how flat the game was and how quiet the crowd were.

something needs to be done - imagine if FoxSports or another free to air channel decided to watch that today to see how exciting our product is? Mal Cooper has not done his job and surely should be under threat just as much as Joey Wright is!

Reply #505732 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

United got it done with McRae - a good effort that.

Wish I could have got to the game - have not yet watch the video...

Recap: No McRae, no problem as Melbourne win third straight

Reply #505734 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You're probably better off without Mickell Gladnes because they referee him with a different set of rules. It makes it hard to win basketball games.

Reply #505740 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Why am I not surprised that I hear people complaining about the refereeing then I turn it on and see Aylen is out there.

With the game on the line with 12 seconds left Corletto does a massive travel RIGHT in front of Aylen! One of the best referees in the world (apparently) right there and he can't even get that call correct.

Reply #505744 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

My theory is this:

The refs have been told very strictly to whistle any and every contact.

They have become robots. Instead of whistling contact on its merits, they simply assume every contact should denote a foul.

They don't understand/appreciate how the contact came about. Some players use their strength very expertly and fairly and they are been whistled for contact.

Under the new refereeing interpretation, NBL teams might as well not be doing any strength/gym work because been strong disadvantages you nowadays.

Reply #505766 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I disagree completely MACDUB. Mickell Gladness told me this week the NBL is easily the most physical comp he's played in.

The problem this year is some games are called tight ala last season, some are physical like the couple of seasons before that, and others are a mix of both like Melb v Townsville.

Some really undisciplined off-ball contact was allowed yesterday, then some really soft ones called on guys who were playing good D. Unfortunately the reffing direction has lost its way this year.

Reply #505770 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

What Paul said. It's all over the shop which is why it is so frustrating to watch. Imagine how annoying it would be to be a player...

Reply #505771 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Games moving forward but the refereeing isn't.Mal needs to go.We got a lecture at the start of last season as to how the game is going to be called which lasted 4 weeks.Hard for players to work out how the game is going to be called.

Reply #505774 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

people need to stop be so critical of DMAC. fact is, they're winning and players are buying in.

Reply #505782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

totally agree Paul - it is the inconsistency that is the instigator of all frustrations.

Do you agree Mal Cooper's head would be on the chopping block if he was a coach?

Reply #505783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was courtside the entire game. The officiating was attrocious. Aylen called an offensive foul on the other side of the floor while he was talking to Shawn Dennis trying explain away some other error he made. He was no good at SEABL level and he's no good at NBL level. Corletto, Kickett & Worthington all move their pivot foot when they're under pressure and it didn't get picked up once. You're never going to win with 23 turnovers but the Crocs certainly didn't get any help.

Reply #505785 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon #783, I was a big supporter of what Mal and his team did last season with the refs, but I think his job should be on the line if he can't get them back on track the rest of this season.

Reply #505787 | Report this post

I am told Hollywood is on holidays in the USA for several weeks during the season!!!
Priorities?

Admittedly, from a friend of a friend of a friend who knows several NBL refs in each state, but I was told that Mal has sacked senior officials and will only promote the refs who call everything in line with his instructions and has introduced ABA refs to the league with no experience and no results at the next level down but who will do exactly what he wants, instead of having there own feel for the game.

Reply #505808 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:42 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754