Phantom
Years ago

Passing of Ean Turner

I would like to wish the family of Ean Turner my most deepest heart felt condolances. Ean was a very passionate man when it came to basketball and it's referee's. I personally would like to thank him for the many years that he spent putting time into me with my refereeing. The basketball community will sorely miss him.

Topic #3605 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Only had a short dealing with Ean, but he was certainly passionate. Sad to hear friends passing away, but I guess it's a sign of getting old(er). Thanks for the heads up on this, Phantom.

Reply #41876 | Report this post

wayne Beaumont  
Years ago

Ean and I clashed on numerous occasions as coaches and refs often do. One thing I liked about him was that we could always have a chat after the game. We both served as committee members at Eastern Hills and I came to admire and respect his principles and passion for the game. I am sad for his family as he was very devoted to them and wish them all the best in the future and offer my heartfelt condolences.

Reply #41880 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Ean Turner R.I.P.

What can one say about a man who was so instrumental in helping the career of a referee?

I first met Ean while I was living at Murray Bridge. I was umpiring at a local carnival and Ean was refereeing too. I had no idea who he was. He saw something in me and immediately put my name forward to SA Country as a ref with potential.

Ean was instrumental in getting me involved in SA Country Carnivals and the Australian Junior Country Cup held in Albury every year. I ended up going to 4 of them.

Just before my second yr at Albury, Ean said that cos I'd be refereeing higher grades, I should get in some practice. Ean drove from his house at Mt Barker, to Murray Bridge, picked me up and then took me to Adelaide to umpire district basketball at old Sturt Stadium on a Friday night. This was then end of 1998.

Ean was UIC at Sturt Stadium, Forestville Stadium and filled in for a couple of weeks at Pasadena Stadium when it was first starting.

Ean opened so many doors for me and gave me opportunities which I never would have received.

Ean was a perfectionist, he wanted the best out of his refs. If he thought you could do better or that you weren't doing what you were supposed to do, Ean would happily kick your arse! And let me tell you, he was always right!

Even when Ean was overseas, my father kept in contact with him. Ean and Lyn were both deeply saddened when they heard that I was sick last yr. This showed the love that this man had for his friends! That touched me so much!

Ean Turner was a former NBL referee, refereeing 36ers games at Apollo, former UIC of three stadiums on Friday nights, an evaluator of ABL referees, and an instrumental figure not only within BASA but within SA Country as well.

I wish to pass on my condolances to Lyn and Braydon and other members of his family.

What can one say about a man who was so instrumental in helping the career of a referee?

THANK YOU

Reply #41902 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Everything I have read on this post rings true to the person Ean was....and Ean too, taught and helped me through my early years of umpiring. He was an extremely knowledgable man when it came to basketball and I am very grateful to have had him there to share that knowledge with me. Things he told me as I progressed, I still hear and use today when I am reffing and have to make a difficult call.... by doing so I always know that I've made the right call.
My heartfelt sympathy goes out to Lyn and Brayden and to those that were also very close to him.
Thanks Ean and may you Rest in Peace

Reply #42048 | Report this post

Neal Bridgeman  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #42384 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

I would just like to say that it was wonderful to see such a turn-out to Ean Turner's funeral today.

It is quite obvious that Ean had a big influence on basketball in this country and on the refs in this state.

John and Trevor, you said the kindest words about Ean and your memories of him. Very well done!

Ean Turner R.I.P.

Reply #42600 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Thanks to everyone who turned out at Ean funeral today it was a great honour to know a man such as Ean and to see that he has impacted so many people's life can only be seen as a great thing. THANK YOU EAN

Reply #42641 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

A nice write-up on Ean Turner can be found at the link below.

http://www.basketball.net.au/fs_newsitem.asp?id=58961&orgID=1&Oname=BA&O1c=8&O10c=8

Reply #43131 | Report this post

trevor sayer  
Years ago

Ean was more like a brother than a mate and then when lyn came along she was like a sister,we have so many memories of tounaments and finals refereed,so many stories to tell and now one of the main characters has left us,its impossible to tell the actual effect that Ean had on all of us but remembered he is and remembered he will be for ever.I miss you already,our chats,stories and laughs,it was just great that you were able to visit me in my new home in california last year(oct 2004)I cherish those momments,meeting braydon and travelling to san diego to be with you at sea world,rest in peace my friend,your family will always be my family.....gnome

Reply #45600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754