Jick
Years ago

R9: Kings v Breakers

I called them benders last week but this was a good effort from the Kings. Childress was doing it all again and was very good though Madgen sunk some nice shots in the second half. Cody Ellis came out and was on fire.

Sydney have a couple of star players and then some players who do absolutely nothing. Cadee was all over the court but offered little.

Cotter seems to have realised Kevin White is king of the bums and he only got a couple of minutes where he ran away looking scared and not taking any shots.

NZ could win the big one but Jackson was a bit cold and Webster was bricking it up. Still they seem like a well balanced team.

Topic #36051 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

I really like this Sydney team.

I think they are one of the most united and tight-knit groups.

I love their energy and they are all on the same page - always huddling after each stop, communicating well, taking blame when they stuff up and happy to rotate mins.

It's a massive change from previous years.

And it starts with Childress and his attitude. Its great.

Reply #505725 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Really liking how Childress has just knuckled down after the Wagstaff incident and is making it count every time he steps on the court. Pleasure to watch.

Sydney are looking good, but they do seem too Childress-centric. Ben Madgen sinking shots was a welcome relief for them, he has had a pretty cold season to date from what I've seen of them.

Reply #505726 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think it has gotten better over the past few weeks Nathan, now that Perry is finally contributing and Madgen is slowing getting there. Throw in Garlepp's contribution and guys like Cadee and Brandt and there is enough scoring there I think.

Childress didn't have a big offensive game last night and they were magnificent on the offensive end.

Reply #505728 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Sydney continue to surprise me. Cotter seems to be doing a good job getting each player to play their role. Fantastic win

Reply #505757 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Sydney are a team to keep an eye on!

Recap: Kings knock-off Breakers in convincing home victory

The Breakers did a good job limiting Childress on the offensive end, however the King's role players were too much to handle. Cody Ellis led the charge from the bench with 13 points. Cedric Jackson (9 points) and Corey Webster (11 points) struggled to get into any rhythm as the Kings did a great job defensively stopping the visitors’ two primary weapons.

Reply #505759 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sydney played well, a lot of contributors and won despite Childress struggling offensively. Defensively that was the most physical I've seen them, perhaps figuring out you have to play that way to succeed in the NBL?

NZ missed a ton of open shots and the Kings made them pay. Had the Breakers not settled so easily from the perimeter this probably would have had a different result, disappointing performance from them.

Reply #505769 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Sydney need Brandt being physical inside if they are to make the four. They don't go deep and are reliant on Childress and Madgen offensively. I think Cotter has done a good job so far for a rookie coach in the NBL.

Reply #505773 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I finally got around to watching this instead of following live via livestats, and while I wasn't super convinced, it was really great to see a variety of guys step up... One of the really great things with Childress is that he doesn't HAVE to be scoring 30pts a game to make a difference... Still a double double on Saturday (we DO really need his double digits rebounds though!) but he's such a good passer and is so unselfish that when the D needs to give him extra attention, he makes the extra pass instead of being known that once he gets it, he's not giving it up, even if it's one on four (like our last NBA-experienced import), so players like Madgen are getting better open shots being able to hit them easier and then getting the confidence to carry that on when he's maybe not so open...

Brandt and Garlepp are benefiting as well, and especially Brandt is finally getting used to not just sitting back and watching JChill go to work, but gets in there and helps if he gets into trouble... Some really nice inside passes to him for some good scores and hopefully the confidence in the young fella is growing...

The Kings DO have the scorers to help out Madgen and Childress, we've seen different players step up the last few rounds, Perry, Cadee, Ellis, Brandt, all capable of taking pressure off Childress, Madge and Garlepp, there just needs to be that consistency... They're only 11 games into playing together really, like Coach Cotter says, and while more immediate results WOULD be good, they've come a good way in the right direction from the start of the season, so hopefully this is onwards and upwards...

Great to see Cody nail some outside shots with confidence as we know he's very capable, so it's good to get rewarded from his really solid growth this season... He's been working really hard on both ends and it's great to see him finding his spot... Hopefully with more of Duinkers minutes, we can see some more...

Reply #505780 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@MACDUB,

Yeah, Kendrick Perry is starting to find his feet in pro-ball, doing a lot of good things.

Reply #505784 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

As an aside, great game by Fotu in the Spanish ACB overnight.

16 points, 6 rebounds in 23 mins.

Reply #505904 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:42 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754