not happy
Years ago

another round of juniors without sufficient refs

last weekend at Mars, teams had to play with only one referee
I assume other venues similar

this weekend, the BSA carnival is on at the same time as regular district games so even more games to be catered for from the same number of refs who are already way below the standard of the game

when is the referee boss going to be held accountable for how far backwards he has taken his team of officials????

Topic #36052 | Report this topic

observer  
Years ago

dick head parents also need to share the blame. Junior refs being abused certainly does not help ref numbers.

Reply #505814 | Report this post

cow level  
Years ago

It not the parents fault that they have been provided unsuitable referees of a finishing standard over the last 5 years.

Fix the problem, a lack of referee coaching, rather than blame the resultant behaviour which is a product of the lack of standard.

Reply #505818 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It's not the parents fault that they been abusing referees?

Are you kidding me?

Ohhh officer it's not my fault I was caught drink driving, the alcohol was for free and the limit is too low!!

Now I don't blame abuse for referees leaving, I think that is a cop out. But to argue the point of abusive parents being allowed to abuse referees (usually kids) because of a perceived lack of ability is disgusting.

Reply #505821 | Report this post

cow level  
Years ago

The issue is the frustration that parents who are "PAYING" for 2 referee's of an acceptable standard, are often only given one without any educational process.

Fix that, and you will fix the parents, coaches and players yelling.

Or put your head in the sand and blame someone else for your failings.

Reply #505822 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

As if parents would be abusing even a full crew of NBA refs when they call a foul against their darling baby.

Reply #505831 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

lol

Reply #505834 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

wouldn't be*

Reply #505837 | Report this post

gavmiester  
Years ago

Farce. Nothing personal, but Ive got no time for any parent yelling at a ref in junior district. To put it bluntly, they really have nothing to yell at. Leave it for the coach to discuss with the stadium ref. Note Im surprised the coach of a team lets a parent get away "ref bashing". I've seen a couple of kids dropped from teams due to this, which really is a bad result for all.

Do yourselves a favour and relax and enjoy the game, and focus on calling out some encouragement.

Puts it in perspective when you think you've seen some rubbish calls, only to look back at some video footage later and realise the refs got the call right or at worst, it was 50/50.

This went off thread though. Tough gig being a ref......even tougher trying to get your calls correct with only 1 on the court and no angles to work with.

Reply #505843 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

I'd like to ref juniors.
No previous reffing experience. Played for about 6 years as a player in my younger days.
What's the process?

Reply #505849 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

contact your local club, attend coaching courses and obtain a level 1 ref badge.

Reply #505852 | Report this post

Rulex Casio  
Years ago

Look I play two games in the district competition a week and coach a junior district team and overall I don't think that much of refs, but the standard is fine. I am originally from a country region of South Australia that some metropolitan parents would be disgusted with the standard of refereeing, even more than they are currently. Parents need to grow up and grow up fast.

I was actually in a stadium last week out at Starplex watching a game of U18 division 2 men and a parent got evicted from the stadium, for going off his chops at the ref. Fair enough the game was physical but the parents kid's team was up by a fair margin and the standard of refs was quite sufficient and to the rules.

I think that basketball is the most political sport in Australia having been heavily involved with most other major sports at a state level or national level. The amount of keyboard warriors, mostly parents, that get their daily rush on these forums is what is makes my thoughts correct. Instead of making excuses make some sensible suggestions, just like I am now:

I have seen Mike Gibson the state officiating director at a various amount of carnivals in regional areas but have only seen him at Adelaide Arena as a part of the Metropolitan set-up. Maybe he needs to get to more stadiums in metropolitan Adelaide to oversea officiating. But maybe that is in his job description to only be at one stadium? How about a check-up system in place on Metropolitan and Country Officials? This system being offered more often towards officials. Then making this system available online to let parents and athletes see if refs have been checked off and are good to umpire at a high level.

Reply #505870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't been involved in this till now but step back and take a look at the discussion.
Someone says there were not enough refs last weekend and that the quality of reffing is poor.
Someone else counters that its all the abusive parents fault and then we get a bunch of discussion about how the other person isn't right.

If you think about it, are either of these arguments wrong?

Certainly no person agrees with parents (or coaches) abusing refs particularly young ones. That is a given and shouldn't be tolerated by the respective club let alone BSA.

At the same time the other part of the discussion is still correct. It is inexcusable that we pay the same price when there is only one ref. It is also inexcusable that there is little to no training for the refs when the players train at least twice and sometimes up to 4 times per week depending on their skill level.

Surely the refs could be provided instruction days once per month where the lead refs in the state (or even from interstate) run theory and prac sessions to improve the level. Refs who want a pay upgrade could be required to attend at least 6 of these per year. The argument that they donet get paid falls flat because neither do (most of) the coaches.

The argument that the head ref needs to be held accountable is correct just as the argument that noone should abuse the refs is correct.

Reply #505873 | Report this post

Broom Broom  
Years ago

I actually saw Mike reffing the other night at Port Adelaide along with 3 morphett vale based refs, so I kind of think shits way down hill and there's not enough umpires to cover the games.

Having said that on a social game you will ALWAYS see the game covered and by EXPERIENCED refs and why is that you might ask? MORE MONEY LESS EFFORT

The systems screwed, BSA shafted district ages ago, Div 1 is covered 2 usually 3 and below don't expect too much.

Pay more you might attract something valid. District should be paid higher and atrract the better more experienced refs.

Maybe employ people and give them some rights and respect, not casual "Volunteers" you supposedly don't pay??

Fair Work Australia surely wouldn't accept the conditions they dish up?

Regarding the Country - I'm pretyy sure Country PAY for it and so cover accomodation, food and drinks are on the house aren't they? Of course the refs wanna get out to these - BETTER CONDITIONS AS COUNTRY ACTUALLY PAY BETTER? BSA treat district with distain.

Sadly never change till the Panel refs get the balls to make things better and make a change.

Reply #505890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When my club played Southern at MV last winter season Gibson was out there taping the refs. Not buying into the thread either way, just pointing out that I have seen him out there (and not only at the Dome).

Reply #505910 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Ok that's recent sightings at the Arena, Pt Adelaide and Morphett Vale. Well he reffed all night at Wayville last Friday and he's certainly visited Marion and Pasadena during games. Who said he should get out more?

Reply #505911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but his off sider wasn't umpiring like she could have she was off at stero's

Reply #505916 | Report this post

cow level  
Years ago

I think people are forgetting that the issue is that there are numerous solo's because BSA and their staff have failed to develop and maintain a significant number of referees of an acceptable standard over the last five years.

Reply #505945 | Report this post

Broom Broom  
Years ago

^ exactly there is not enough coverage its not due to development they need to change the model.

Reply #505960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does someone have to have the correct answer and reckon the others are wrong.
They haven't developed refs - fact PLUS there is not enough coverage. You are both right.
Gibson reffing isn't the answer but good on him for getting out there.
Recruiting, paying enough and teaching are all required. Not just one bit or another

Reply #505963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agreed.

All are equal issues, plus many more issues as well.

Problem being current administration are making things worse not better.

Both need to go, plus many others.

Reply #505964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad reffed games can also create unnecessary sporting injuries as well. Some coaches/parents have to deal with the after math of that.
Not the Refs problem then, when you are sitting waiting for an Xray to come back to see if there's any neck damage etc.. I have had to do that after a game. Now When I see bad reffing or out of hand reffing its hard to just sit there and clap with encouragement.
Yes I know some accidents will happen. BUT Some come from out of control or under educated reffing.
This becomes worse when at times there seems to be bias, that team getting good calls, or no calls, knows they can go in hard without the same consequences. Hence when injuries can, and do occur.
We have all seen those type games, to say you haven't you would have to have you head in the sand.
To Refs doing the right thing, as fairly as possible. I applaud you, as we know its a hard job at times, keep up the good work. The game really needs you.

Reply #505970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be honest would you let ur child go out and referee knowing they will get abused by adults? How would you feel if that was your child being abused? How would you react if a parent came up to your child and told them they were terrible because somwone with no training in refereeing thinks they missed a couple calls during their child's game! I know I wouldn't like that to be my child!

There is one big thing ever single person is missing here... It's not about the parents or even the referees the games on Friday nights are junior games, that means kids games from 9yrs old up to 17yrs old, these games are about them, parents and spectators seem to think these days they have to get involved and they have the right to say something. Guess what...... They don't have any right to. It's humiliating to the players to see their parent being thrown out of a stadium because they can't control themselves! I would be mortified if my parents ever did that to me as a child and I will never put my child through that.

No one is perfect, the players are never perfect the coaches aren't perfect and neither are the referees. Clearly there is a problem that there isn't enough refs or the standard isn't good enough. it's all good to say give them training regularly, but who then pays for that? I have been to multiple venues this season and seen people talking to referees either during the games or after, I'm only guessing that they are helping the referee which is great.

My understanding with any sport you only ever have a few great players in each club, this making the div 1 team. U can train ur div 3 team as much as u want but they will always be a div 3 team! This would be the same for referees wouldn't it? Where are all the high level referees helping the not so fortunate refs on a Friday night? Maybe they are refereeing 5 other nights during the week and need a night off. I don't know but maybe we can ask that?

There is a bigger problem here than just 2 people trying to get 60+ quality refs to do games on a Friday night! Bitching on here isn't going to help the situation, help by putting your hand up to referee or get ur child involved in refereeing maybe then you will see the games do the refs in a different perspective. Maybe try encouraging the refs or telling them thanks! I know I have never thanked a referee when they have walked past me after they refereed my child's match. I will now make an effort to do so even if I don't like some calls. When people are happy and enjoying themselves that's when they do their best work, this is the same!!

Any parent or adult that yells at a junior referee just remember, that is harassment and bullying at its worst! Show your child it's not ok by setting an example!!!

Reply #505971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to ref. Won't do it for this bunch. They treat refs with less respect than the parents and coaches that abuse them.

BSA need to look at themselves and accept they are to blame for so many of us walking away. Pay is lousy, expectation to referee anytime any night they need you to is unfair. Night agter night of 3-4 games for $50. No thanks.
The system and the administration are the main two reasons. The biased treatment of a select few and the lack of respect from those in charge are why I walked away.

Reply #505984 | Report this post

Feedback  
Years ago

Hi anon as a existing ref, I would suggest you contact the referee executive which we now have
They are made up of officials at all levels & help you mediate with BSA if everything is not as it should be

Reply #505989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A committee of referees with no authority? No thanks.

Reply #506004 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:46 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754