NBL Fan
Years ago

South Dragons to return?

I have seen a few murmurs on Twitter that the South Dragons have let the NBL know that they wish to return to the league. Is there any truth to this?

Also what is the progress with all other expansion? I can't see there being an announcement until next year.

Topic #36057 | Report this topic

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

I cant see them getting in without following the current protocols that everyone else has to do. (Except Brisbane)

Reply #505877 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I'd like to see the Dodo guys g ive up the Tigers IP and let the Tigers back.

Reply #505881 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Im with you Marcus Camby,bring the tigers back and lets have the local derby.Theres no real rivalries these days.

Reply #505885 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Melbourne aren't in the hunt for an NBL team next season. Way too late now.

Reply #505888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now there's a rumour I never thought I would hear :)

Reply #505892 | Report this post

Kendrick Perry  
Years ago

Yep its on

Reply #505898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PLEASE let this rumour be true!!!

Reply #505901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Link to all this talk ?

Reply #505905 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Dodo guys won't be giving up Tigers IP...as it would hurt their own brand/investment.

Reply #505906 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It might actually help their investment, but I doubt they'll be able to see that.

Reply #505908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It may not be branded South Dragons but the former ownership are definitely in talks with the NBL. Got this direct from a director of another NBL club. One of the reasons Mark Cowan pulled out was because BA had taken over running of the NBL. Now that it has reverted back to a separate NBL board he is very keen to get back in.

Reply #505912 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I hope they do.I'd pay to go and see the local derby.Question can a current owner buy shares in a new franchise?

Reply #505914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"One of the reasons Mark Cowan pulled out was because BA had taken over running of the NBL"

Another was because the Dragons lost an absolute fortune.

Reply #505915 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Will be the Dragons. Will play a mix of games at Hisense and State Basketball Centre. Mark Cowan holding meetings as we speak.

Reply #505921 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

They were like a shooting star when they were in the league

Reply #505922 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am just dusting off my old No.7 Joey Ingles South Dragons playing singlet, just in case...

Reply #505924 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I still think that the more concerning part of this whole expansion thing is that no official teams have been announced as joining the league next season - is that still on the cards? If so, when will the announcements be made? Surely they need a good amount of time to ramp up interest in the respective locations?

One of the huge problems when the Kings returned was that it seemed really very rushed and it was done after the Free Agent period had started, so a lot of teams had either re-signed their existing talent or players had signed elsewhere and there were really not many options for a strong team initially...

Surely teams in BrisVegas or elsewhere will need to think ahead to get some big names on board and on board early to be able to use them for marketing and to help generate interest? His 36er form aside, how good would it have been for a new Brisbane franchise to get home town boy Brock Motum on board for the first season?

Doing it half-arsed and last minute (otherwise known as the NBL way), will only be a disaster from the start and hurt things more than help...

Reply #505925 | Report this post

ICCrash  
Years ago

At this stage, better to be announced for 2016/17 than 2015/2016 in regards to getting the right combination on the court.

Reply #505926 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Well remember the post about making such an announcement in Late November. Its starting to almost hit Mid December.

Ive got a bad feeling.

Reply #505928 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I have been frustrated by the whole expansion process. There has been no info for supporters. I still think Brisbane is going ahead but it is worrying that we are in mid December as Matthew said.

Reply #505929 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

January 2015 is the latest now. Getting ridiculous.

Reply #505930 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Would be great to see the Bullets and Dragons back in the league next season, and it would certainly help with the new TV deal.

Reply #505932 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

What is better: having rushed, potentially unsustainable expansion in the hopes of securing a better TV deal, or slower, sustainable expansion but an inevitably weaker TV deal?

What are the dollars we are talking about here with this deal?

Is it worth it?

Reply #505938 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would say it's best to have well-funded expansion that helps secure a better TV deal and makes it easier for all clubs to become sustainable.

Reply #505939 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If the NBL is going to change dramatically in short periods of time it is not a good idea to go for a long term TV deal, that would be a mistake IMHO...

Once we establish the competition to a point where it is close to maximum, then a longer, more lucrative TV deal would suit the league and the TV station, I would think!

Reply #505940 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Exactly Bear.

Reply #505946 | Report this post

CableChick  
Years ago

Yep, I've heard they are in talks for not this season but next !!

Reply #505947 | Report this post

CableChick  
Years ago

**sorry I mean season commencing 2016

Reply #505948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cowan was smart skipping the BA years. BA were a joke and leeched off of the league's clubs led by KK.

Reply #506385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754