Isaac
Years ago

Dragons rumour has wings, could join 2016/17

WHERE there is smoke ... NBL fans of South Dragons and South East Melbourne Magic can cross their fingers because the second license in Melbourne appears likely to see one name re-emerge.

My (e)mail is that under Fraser Neill's stewardship, the Magic group had the front-running but with Neill gone, NBL Chairman, Czar Nicholas the Marvelous, is looking more favorably at the return of the Dragons.
Cowan loved his club and indicated at the time he might consider a return "down the track".

My word is we are "down the track" and that any potential bid with which he is involved has a head start on the Magic.

The coach for the new Dragons?

Brian Goorjian would be the target, with Mark Worthington most likely lured across from Melbourne United to add a second face connected to the former franchise.
Full story

If the league takes the only-power-clubs path, then the Dragons are a good option. Under Cowan, their branding was always excellent and their marketing on-message. It would be positive for the league to have the Wildcats and Dragons locked down as having their image and marketing sorted. I personally put the Hawks in that category, but have more confidence in the individual(s) responsible than the club itself - they get excellent value there.

(I'd really like to see Adelaide get their brand and everything premium across the board. Too many things look cheap to me.)

Boti's story notes the Dragons are unlikely to be ready for next season. Brisbane in for Townsville would keep it an eight-team league in that case for another year. Keep Townsville talk in the other thread though please.

Topic #36068 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't see the need for Boti to continue his pointless nit-picking over every Perth-related issue. Whether it's the Magic, the Dragons, or whatever, a second Melbourne team that has the entire boards/league approval is a good thing.

He has mentioned agendas a lot lately. Might need to spend some time reflecting on his own.

Reply #506073 | Report this post

Fan-ciful  
Years ago

"He has mentioned agendas a lot lately. Might need to spend some time reflecting on his own."

+1

Reply #506078 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Dragons already have modern branding and fans plus a championship to work with. If Cowan and co. have the cash and look sustainable they are the obvious option in my opinion.

Reply #506083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring 'em back and I will start going to the NBL again!

Reply #506085 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dragons to mix games up between State Centre and Hisense Arena. Many meetings taking place. The Melbourne rivalry will be reborn. Does this mean United goes back to the Tigers name?

Reply #506090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brining back Worthington wouldn't really be a good start!

Reply #506091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are Mark Cowan's business credentials?

Is the man a millionaire?

Reply #506093 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Anon 506073 - I also agree!

The Dragons potentially coming back aside (and I would love to see this happen because goodness the league needs something to spark some sort or revival), I just want to know what is Boti's issue with Nick Marvin? OK, he doesn't have to be his biggest fan, but I don't get the little digs at him all the time. He's one of the very few people in the NBL that has a clue and has been brilliant for the Wildcats.

Reply #506098 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Marvin may have resigned as the chair of CEO.

Reply #506099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I may have or may not have won the lotto

Reply #506102 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

If you did you would tell us.

Reply #506106 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Cowan has the money, the issue was the burn rate when he had the Dragons.

Reply #506112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Dragons returning to the NBL will be a great talking point for basketball in Australia and rest assure Cowan will bring the brand back alive generating much needed excitement and smashing the Mel Utd lame decision to change its name.

Lets hope it happens ASAP!

Reply #506121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dragons potential imports: Childress & Cedric Jackson..

EXCITING....

Reply #506125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope they keep the name South dragons or 'South east'. A lot of the big associations out that way in knox, Dandenong, Kilsyth, nunawarding, Ringwood etc etc.
The colours of black and red are used quite a lot in the league. Not sure if they'll keep the Same dragon colours or the south east Magic colours.
Wish they would change the melbourne United name to melbourne Magic or something Also.

Reply #506126 | Report this post

CableChick  
Years ago

This is very exciting !! Donta Smith to return !!? :) :)

Reply #506155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne United smells too much like Sydney Spirit!

Reply #506158 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The South Dragons brand was amazing.

IMO, the best brand we've ever had. Even better than the Wildcats.

Reply #506161 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Momentum builds. Return of the Dragon. Could in itself lead to return of the Tiger.

Reply #506178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great memories of the Dragons brief but high impact stint in the NBL. That championship series was one of the great ones.

Reply #506213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They would put Melbourne back on the map! Go Dragons.

Reply #506260 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Ingles has tweeted about the rumour. Utd have to become the Tigers again.

Reply #506265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does United have to change back? League mandate.

and I understand Boti's references about Nick Marvin. The guy is really abrasive and hard to deal with, including burning bridges with sponsors. He is lucky the club itself is popular otherwise why would they get involved with someone so difficult.

Reply #506367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does United have to change back? League mandate??

Reply #506368 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I feel that the NBL has suffered in the past from too many unstable and fly-by-night teams.
Teams, merging, moving, folding, renamed and re-emerging, only to fold again. That doesn't create fan loyalty and doesn’t help the overall credibility of the league.
IMHO the last thing they need is another rash of expansion teams.

I personally think that getting the Brisbane Bullets back should be a priority, but they have to ensure that it is financially viable. Which in the NBL means they need somebody with deep pockets, or an exceptionally generous long-term sponsor.

I don’t know anywhere near enough about Victorian basketball to know whether a 2nd team is a great idea. The potential for so-called "cross-town" rivalry is always touted, but such things take a long time to develop properly. There’s no doubt that the constant folding/merging of teams has hurt the NBL in Melbourne, so they need to make sure than any “new” (or returning) teams is here for the long haul.
Again, I don’t know much about the reasons behind Cowan folding the Dragons after they won in 2009, but it’s not a good look. Surely the NBL would want a rock-solid guarantee of longevity before they open that door again.

Personally I would like to see the Newcastle Falcons return. THE foundation club of the NBL, they are historically significant, and I fondly recall some great games against them. But same reservations apply.

Whenever a Perth team is successful, (Eagles, Wildcats, Glory) talk inevitably turns to a 2nd, Fremantle based team.
There is a natural basis for this. Perth is somewhat unique in that it was not founded as a port. The port city is Fremantle, and for the 1st hundred years or so they grew as two seperate cities joined by highways and separated by bush. Fremantle remains a focal point with a distinct identity. Furthermore the Perth metropolitan area is effectively split in two by the Swan River, leading to somewhat of a “cultural” separation between North and South. Hence there is a logical basis for an SOR team based at Fremantle.
That said, it costs a lot of money to run a successful NBL team in WA. It’s no secret that The Wildcats success has depended on the largesse of local squillionaires.
Also, unlike when the Dockers were formed, I'm not sure that there’s enough distinct “heritage”/support to bolster a Freo team. It’s as well to remember that when work began on the Dockers, The Eagles were still a very young club, and a lot of people still clung to their WAFL affiliations and/or were happy to switch allegiance. A new NBL team in WA would face 30 years of entrenched Wildcats support.

Reply #506560 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The cross-town rivalries have developed quickly in the past, but a big part of that has been the involvement of the Tigers, who fans from the boom times seem to love or hate (although that had hatred had dropped away for many in recent years).

It would be interesting to see if it could get any traction with two teams few people care about in the first place?

Reply #506562 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

That's the question, how polarising are Melbourne UNITED? How big is their supporter base, and how big is the alternate base of those who love Basketball but hate MU?

And its not a matter of fly-by-night support. No doubt if The Dragons could repeat their success they'd draw some crowds but how much is there for the long-haul.

Sorry for another AFL example, but in the West the MEDIA constantly hypes the so-called "Western Derby." But the fact is that MOST fans don't buy into it, especially from The Eagles side. Rivalries with teams like Sydney, Essendon, and Collingwood assume a much higher profile.

I'm no expert on Victorian BBL. If there is genuine long-term support for another team, then that is fantastic news for the NBL. (With only 8 teams, and some of those looking shaky, the NBL is a couple of steps away from either collapsing or becoming a joke.)
Logically, Melbourne has the population, the demographics, and the money to support at least two teams. But they can't afford any more short-lived fiascos.

Reply #506581 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A lot of good questions. I think United has a tiny passionate fanbase, I doubt the anti-United base would be that big unless the Tigers were back in the league, and how much draw do the Dragons have given they struggled for crowds in their time in the league?

Reply #506586 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

"I personally think that getting the Brisbane Bullets back should be a priority, but they have to ensure that it is financially viable."

It isn't. Some would suggest that's why Neill 'resigned'. The NBL currently will own the club and if it works out to be viable they will on sell it.
Again as many others have said why would United have to rename seeing as the NBL has approved the name change supposedly.

Reply #506587 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

And that's the problem isn't it.
Running a successful NBL program is expensive, and unless you can guarantee massive crowds, you need either a long-suffering owner or sponsor, with DEEP pockets.

Reply #506606 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Again as many others have said why would United have to rename seeing as the NBL has approved the name change supposedly.

My understanding is they don't have to approve team names, they simply have no control. But I'm pretty sure the earlier post saying Melbourne "have to" become the Tigers again was using the term in the "this is an obvious decision" sense, not a "they will be forced to do this" sense. At least that's the way I read it.

Reply #506610 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Normally with the NBL (at least under the old NBL) the licence to operate was tied specifically to a name. I doubt that has changed at all. So I would expect that the NBL did have to approve the name change.

Reply #506612 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Apparently the licenses are linked to a location and not a name so the NBL didn't have to approve the change. That's something that should definitely be looked at.

Reply #506614 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Yes I forgot the location bit Paul. I still think the name is part of the deal with the NBL. When applying for a licence they used to look at name, logo, colours etc as part of the assessment process. Or maybe the current NBL don't care any more. ;)

Reply #506617 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The statements at the time of the United change said it was only location.

Reply #506619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harry, it would help the discussion a lot more if you stopped inventing things and stating them as fact. Thanks.

Reply #506625 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Sorry there no invention here at all anonymous. I was talking about the process of applying for a licence not current owners.

Your lack of understanding of the process is abundant however.

Thanks Paul for the info.

Reply #506640 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:23 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754