William
Years ago

A League TV deal to Channel 7 or Ten

It is possible for the A League to get $80 million a year TV deal.

The FTA networks are circling to join Fox Sports as the A League's and Socceroos official broadcaster.

David Gallop has revealed that the TV deal may commence before 2017 and it is possible that the league chiefs could terminate SBS contract. The talks have already started with 7 and Ten

David Gallop said:
"We're very optimistic about the interest that is currently in the broadcast rights’’
“Channel 7 have dipped their toe in the water with the All-Stars, all the signs are that Channel 10 recognise the value of live sport, so there’s a bit of a chicken and egg in the expansion question as it relates to television rights

Could the next TV deal start before the expiration of the current deal?
“You don’t say never to anything. That’s why we’re already exploring a number of scenarios,’’ Gallop said.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/new-tv-deal-could-underpin-expansion-to-12-team-a-league-by-2017/story-fni2wcjl-1227155286888

Topic #36089 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet the NBL will be lucky to get $8 next season...

Props to Football Australia for hiring the right guys to run the A-League, I'm just disappointed Basketball Australia couldn't do the same. Hopefully with the owners at the helm of the NBL now the league can start climbing the mountain that the A-League started climbing years ago.

Reply #506691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet the NBL will be lucky to get $8 next season...

Props to Football Australia for hiring the right guys to run the A-League, I'm just disappointed Basketball Australia couldn't do the same. Hopefully with the owners at the helm of the NBL now the league can start climbing the mountain that the A-League started climbing years ago.

Reply #506692 | Report this post

crocsfan  
Years ago

How does the NBL keep operating and staying professional without money from tv rights? THats where other leagues rely on for income..

Reply #506724 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

really interesting comment:

"Hopefully with the owners at the helm of the NBL now the league can start climbing the mountain that the A-League started climbing years ago. "

Just a couple of points...

- of course, the owners were pretty much at the helm until BA took over, so previous efforts don't bode well for a better outcome
- the A-league's rise has happened in concert with the rise of football's recognition and hand in hand with the emergence of FFA as a major player in Australian sport

Reply #506792 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

... and the involvement of a particularly rich individual with widespread influence.

Reply #506795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... all the big sports have powerful and rich backers, so not sure what you are insinuating there. FFA has finally joined the rest. NBL lacks them.

Reply #506810 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's pretty much what I was saying.

Reply #506847 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I realise loyalty doesn't count for much when it comes to TV rights and money, but is it really a good idea for the FFA to be considering "terminating" their A-League deal with SBS if 7 or 10 put together a higher offer?

See what 10 have done to the NBL, and what Channel 7 did to soccer many years ago. These channels are driven by ratings. If its not rating, you can bet it will be discarded, not promoted and relocated to late night slots.

At least with SBS, this channel isn't focussed on ratings as much, and is more dedicated to soccer. The A-League has "AFL" type status on that channel so it would be pretty dumb for FFA to move the league to 7 or 10.

Not that I care about the A-League whatsoever, so if they want to risk it by moving, then good luck to them. The A-League is a bit too hyped for my liking, so maybe a move to 10 would be good ;)

Reply #506865 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Some interesting comments indeed!

The fact the A-League totally re structured and worked towards creating teams with a tribal and cultural following, plus games that are truly considered rival games, is also very important to remember.

Now they are on Foxtel and Free-to-air, so they are flying, but they have proven to be careful not to over cook it in the past as they can spoil what they have worked hard for if they are not careful...

The NBL needs to create and build what the A-League did many years ago, but that would not be an easy task!

Reply #507281 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think they need to be very careful.
They're talking about expanding the league, funded by TV rights, to feed the TV market. Dangerous.
Networks are driven by ratings, and as soon as something dips, they move it, then dump it.
I still recall in the 90's when 10 had the FTA rights for BBL, and started to move the games away from live prime-time to late night replays. That was the beginning of the end.

It also strikes me as somewhat ludicrous. The old NSL was dumped, in favour of a smaller league with single clubs in each city. So they could push the idea that if you live in say Sydney, then here is a single club for you to support. Then no sooner does that start to work, they start wanting to plant more clubs and split that support?

I guess its just that in my opinion, having clubs that only last a few years, is detrimental to long-term support and health of the league.

Reply #507288 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Dazz, I think the plan was initially to establish stability with a one team per town philosophy, but as popularity and change developed the A-League so to it's owners and chiefs realised that cross town rivalry was essential...

Reply #507312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, has town rivalry ever been better showcased than in the City v Victory game last night? No wonder the A-League is commanding big dollars, that game says it all!

Reply #507380 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754