Dazz
Years ago

R11: Sydney Kings v Perth Wildcats

Thursday 18th Dec, 7:30pm AEST

Good game to start the round.
Perth trying to stay in touch with 1st spot, and The Kings trying to stay in touch with the top 4.

Will be interesting to see who the Cats use to try to contain Childress.

Doesn't look like the game is televised?

Topic #36102 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Not a must win game for the Kings, but a crucial game. A win to them gives them a mental boost and would put them in 4th.

The action will certainly be around the screens. The refs must watch the off ball screens.

'Cats have won by about 20 points the two times they have met. That margin might be the same.....

Reply #507004 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

mutiny.

Reply #507015 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

This will be the game the kings break their losing streak against the cats

Reply #507017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8 vs 1. I like the Cats's chances in this one.

Reply #507018 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Will be some angst in the Kings camp over this one. The streak is starting to look a little substantial.

Reply #507034 | Report this post

Cats b2b  
Years ago

Perry and madgen need to step up if they are going to get the w, think perth barring another drought in a qtr. Kings are due to beat us, don't see it thou, u never know.

Reply #507036 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Violet Crumbles.. will crumble!

Reply #507043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since Childress joined them they're called the Violent Crumbles now

Reply #507051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The refs must watch the off ball screens."

Sydney sure won't!

Reply #507052 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Not a must win game for the Kings, but a crucial game. A win to them gives them a mental boost and would put them in 4th."

True, but Melbourne play the Hawks tomorrow, and then host Sydney. The results of these three games could see a wedge between 4th & 5th.

As others have said, its hard not to see The Wildcats as favourites, however the sometimes get sloppy on the road. If the team that gave up 102 points to Townsville turns up, then Sydney are in a will chance.

It will be interesting to see if Daniels and Childress go H2H???

Reply #507053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone got a stream?

Reply #507072 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Hahahaa, holy crap Gleeson, subbed out the whole starting five in one hit when we fail to score, and then the bench team evens it up. Alrighty then.

Reply #507073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you stream the game through Sportingbet?

Reply #507074 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Bet365, pay $20 into your new account and the world is live including NBL.TV's great coverage.
I find it strange that those with direct nbl.tv coverage say it's crap. This isn't a plug for bet365, but their streaming is extremely good. A few hiccups as you would expect but great.

Reply #507075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cheers

Reply #507077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cheers

Reply #507078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone say tell that retarded woman it's not pronounced Dun kier?

Reply #507079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's also not pronounced Caddy, it's Cadee. Retard.

Reply #507080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not

Dunkyer
Caddy
Jarvis

Learn the names you fucking retarded woman.

Reply #507081 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I don't get the Wildcats this year. Our starting five is having to be carried by the bloody bench half the time.

Reply #507082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done team.

First loss to Sydney finally going to happen.

Reply #507083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No offence Gleeson, but .. well actually .. nuff said.

Reply #507084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If any coach in the history of the NBL has ridden the coat tails of the talent of his players, it's Gleeson.

Reply #507085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he riding on their coat tails or standing on them so they cant move??
Either way, great half by the Kings. They mean business out there tonight.

Reply #507086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack Marty Clarke!!!

Reply #507087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone give me the number of ABC Grandstand Digital so I can stop my ears bleeding?

Reply #507088 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

The annoying thing is that we CAN score in bulk. Some of the runs we get on can absolutely blitz teams, and we've put a few 30+ quarters up, and some 90+ scores. But our offense is just mindblowingly inconsistent.

Reply #507089 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

im surprised the cats are 15 down at the half. would have thought it was closer. 28 in a half?

Reply #507090 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Early days yes but lets hope a 15 point lead is enough get a home W and break that streak.

Reply #507091 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

15-pt deficit to overcome away from home in a half. Ugly task we've set for ourselves.

Reply #507092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been saying all season the Cats are a poor side away from home crowd/ref advantage, but most chose to ignore. American head coaching search = Gleeson, LOL

Reply #507093 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Ignorant little anons everywhere.

Reply #507094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really surprised, they are 3-3 on the road soon to be sub-.500 away from home. Ordinary road side.

Reply #507096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ignorant Nathan I wrote it in the New disease? - Perthorious Chargus thread a few days ago that they suck on the road. surprise surprise next game and they blow in it. how is that ignorant... troll!

Reply #507097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHAt's the score?

Live stats are fucked (surprise)

Reply #507098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth 28 first half points, wow that stinks. Are they for real? wasn't their output also bad vs Breakers yet no adjustments... duds!

Reply #507099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

62-48 latest

Reply #507100 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

VERY VERY un-wildcat like. **shakes head**

Reply #507102 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

3/4 q time and Perth trail 65/ 51.

Reply #507103 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

We all know Cats have been poor on the road this year.
It has NOTHING to do with the Reffing.

Reply #507104 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Perth on a roll Kings scoreless and its now 65 / 57 1:12 gone in the last.

Reply #507105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still in striking distance. Miracle.

Reply #507106 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Cats CAN win from here, they have the legs,
but that means playing all the guys on 3 PFs and hoping they don't foul out.

Plausible but unlikely

Reply #507107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holy shit we're turning it on

Reply #507108 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Kings still in front and have finally scored 2. 68/62.

Reply #507109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U'uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Reply #507110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROss you tool

Reply #507111 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

NBL TV has seriously bias commentary. love the kings everytime

Reply #507112 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Really starting to like this Kings team... Soon good seeing the Cats lose, always a great pleasure.

Reply #507113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do the Cats still have the marquee money?

As the most cashed up club surely we have to chase a better swingman.

Reply #507114 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think that last season Ennis (and Beal) obscured some emerging problems.

Martin is becoming a running joke. DPOY be dammed, he's a starting PG who can't score. LOve the guy to bits, but without Ennis, and with Redhage really down on points, there's just not enough firepower out there in that starting 5.

Redhage is one of my alltime favourite Cats, certainly THE favourite of the last decade. But he seems to be past it. Needs to be moved to the bench and replaced with a younger PF. Probably a Marquee player.

And dare I say it, once again DD has struggled against tough opposition. Falls back to trying to play outside and just can't nail enough shots.

Reply #507115 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Well the team that was least worse for the least time got the points but what an ugly game.

Reply #507116 | Report this post

Twigs light  
Years ago

Suck it up perth fans, another loss that's five this season. Missing ennis and without him, there would have been no championship last season. It looks like being a cairns NZ grand final.

Reply #507117 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id really like to see Childress on the big stage... they way they are playing, if Cadee can keep giving them fire power off the bench who knows. By the way great call but the 6ers not wanting to resign Cadee, no really good stuff.

Reply #507119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniels is the wrong fit for the Wildcats they needed a 3 who could create his shot. Daniels is more of a role player. McRae would've been a good fit. Perth went with the project to build relationships with the NBA instead of the best player available I think

Reply #507120 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Suck it up perth fans, another loss that's five this season. Missing ennis and without him, there would have been no championship last season."

Really? You think not having the best player in the league would have hurt their chances?
Better strip them of that title then, obviously they are the only team to ever have an Import.

"It looks like being a cairns NZ grand final."

Dream on. Cats still one of the best teams in the league, they'll be in the final, but chances of beating The Breakers in NZ are slim.

Reply #507121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not replacing Ennis with a similar calibre player is the issue.

That and Hire being out. Everyone is forgetting he's not here at the moment. But he is sorely missed and would have helped win a game like this.

Reply #507122 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Great to see the Kings beat the streak. Away Finals may be a problem it seems ;)

Reply #507123 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Cairns NZ GF isn't that far fetched. No need to get defensive, Perth were not up to it tonight, and it'll be tight from here on in with the top teams. 6ers need not read this, as I refer to the top teams.

Reply #507124 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Sydney deserve credit for that win. Perth almost got over but left the run too late, I just don't rate our offense this year at all.

Reply #507125 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Win or lose this game hasn't changed my mind about NZL being the team to beat.

Reply #507126 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Daniels isn't exactly NBA material, win some lose some with the recruiting, overall good risk from a league point of view. But this guy isn't up to it, all potential with his body type.

Reply #507127 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Kings fans should be thanking the 36ers for softening up the Wildcats with that gruelling encounter on Sunday!

Reply #507128 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Perth without Ennis is like NZ without Jackson.

Reply #507129 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@Kobe24 "By the way great call but the 6ers not wanting to resign Cadee, no really good stuff."

Are you being sarcastic? This season he is 6ppg at 34% and has more turnovers than assist.

Reply #507130 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

The wildcats are getting stuck into that christmas pudding early this year

Reply #507131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire is more of a loss than anyone realises, especially in the away games.

Reply #507133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really hard for Perth to have a functional offense with Damo and Daniels on the floor at the moment.

They both can't shoot.

Suprised Jervis didn't play more.

Rosen talks about Perth shooting too many 3s, although they were 33.3 % which is right on average. It was the poor shooting inside the arc which hurt them.

Reply #507134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 5 Americans for Perth played well.

Reply #507135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't claim the 33% as being right on average. They were 2 from 16 at one stage and showed no signs of trying anything else so they dug themselves a hole. If it wasn't for a late flurry then the result would have been double digits.

Reply #507136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But there was a late flurry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_reversion_%28finance%29

Reply #507137 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Perth without Ennis is like NZ without Jackson."

Perth without Ennis is like a summer holiday without the sun

Reply #507138 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Daniels is the wrong fit for the Wildcats they needed a 3 who could create his shot. Daniels is more of a role player."
"Really hard for Perth to have a functional offense with Damo and Daniels on the floor at the moment.

They both can't shoot. "
What Perth really needed was another PF.
Instead they got a skinny swingman who when faced with bigger forwards reverts to trying to play outside.

Their outside offence basically rests on Beal.

I'd like to see Martin with less minutes, BEAL take point in his absence with U'U in the 2 spot.
I'd also like to see them try Wagstaff in the SF role against SOME opponents.

Reply #507139 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Cairns NZ GF isn't that far fetched. No need to get defensive, Perth were not up to it tonight, and it'll be tight from here on in with the top teams."

Ok, fair enough. I still see the Cats as being good enough to make the final.
Still hard to look past The Breakers at home.

Reply #507140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it a contractual thing that Daniels can't play the 4 or 5 spot? He'd be a lot better taking bigs off the dribble and Perth wouldn't lose that much on defense as Knight isn't a rim protector anyway. Its not like the NBL is much bigger then the NCAA.

Reply #507141 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Hire is more of a loss than anyone realises, especially in the away games."

Quite possibly, he was a big improver towards the end of last season. At least he gives them another option off the bench. Wagstaff is their only forward on the bench, and with Redhage seeing less court time it doesn't give them many options.

Raises a couple of questions.
What is happening with his injury? It was supposed to be 6 weeks, it's been like 10, and last I heard he was at least 3 weeks away.
Given that, was Muo really their best option as an injury replacement? Not sure who might have been floating around, but in any event they didn't look very far.

Reply #507142 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon 507137 - I hope you don't play the pokies with regression to the mean as your strategy!

Reply #507152 | Report this post

Cats b2b  
Years ago

All of the problems and they are 1 game of top spot? What happens when they click? If?

Reply #507153 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #507156 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Did some quick sums.

Damien Martin shooting over the last four games is cumulatively:
2/21 FG, 0/8 3pt

Yep, it has been five games since Damo hit a triple.

Here is our problem, as good as Damo is defensively, if he doesn't produce an at least nominal offensive output, he becomes a net negative for the team, because it puts exaggerated pressure on the rest of the team. He *has* to get his scoring right.

It's actually already too late though, these last two rounds have turned this comp from a three-horse title race to now being entirely dependent on Cedric Jackson's health.

Reply #507161 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Now people can understand why Martin was not picked for the Boomers, i love how he plays D and works his backside off, but we are basically playing 4 on 5 when he is on the court at the moment.

It is the Wildcats from the Beveridge years, relying on one player to do the scoring, instead of Lisch it's Beal.

No way we can get past NZ playing so poorly on offense.

Reply #507164 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think people are overstating the impact of Martin's lack of interest in the offensive end. Perth have countless options to finish for him. They lost narrowly on the road to a mid-range team.

They've been very successful with him before, as NZ were with Boucher (who didn't even attempt threes!).

Reply #507166 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Not being sarcastic, could've moved Cadee to the point, and used Wilsons import spot for some decent. Cade was very well liked amongst the guys and played very well when Gibbo was out last season. His stats don't tell the full story for what he does in Syd, made some key 3s last night.

Reply #507167 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Don't think we are overstating it. When Damo shoots well, we win titles. When he doesn't we don't.

At the moment, he's on an arctic cold streak and unless he does a total 180, we are a frankly disturbing chance of being bumped from finals by NZ again :P

Reply #507168 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's good to see Cadee doing well

Reply #507170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its easier to hide a post player who isn't much of a threat on offense. I can't remember Boucher that well although I think from memory he played out of the low or high post and made a lot of nice passes from those areas.

There were times when Damo caught the ball behind the 3 point line and there wasn't a Kings player within 10 feet of him. When that happens it does get crowded for the other players on his team.

You may be able to agrue that the league is better now then during Bouchers prime years, with better scouting and that a player like Boucher might not be able to play 30 minutes a game in 2014/15.

Could Damo bring the ball down the court and then operate around the post? He is a tall point guard and might be able to create some problems down there.

At the moment he isn't making shots, isn't penetrating or making good back cuts and can't really get teammates open as he isn't drawing any defence.

Or we could be making too much of the cold streak as he has shot well in previous years and he might time a hot shooting run right around playoff time.

Reply #507172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't call Martin a tall PG, what is he 6'1" maybe 6'2" on a good day?

Reply #507173 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

What has happened to Kevin White?
Any chance he s carrying some sort of injury?

Reply #507177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if lack of talent or ability to play at an nbl level can be classified as an injury.

Moving behind Joyce in the depth chart even if he has a niggling injury isn't good.

Reply #507178 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"His stats don't tell the full story for what he does in Syd, made some key 3s last night."

Yes last night, the rest of the season he has been poor, probably due to lack of opportunity. His salary wouldn't have been worth the Sixers getting him

Reply #507185 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The problem is not that Martin isn't a big scorer,
its that at the moment he's struggling to score at all. He generally averages around 7~8 points, but this season that has fallen to around 4.

Opposition teams are now getting cocky and really sagging off him. He gets left wide open, almost obligated to take the shot, and still can't make it. U'U has shown what happen to most players when the opposition doesn't treat you with respect, he gets left open and he drains it. For whatever reason it's just not happening for Martin.

Cats are probably still the best defensive team in the league, but they find it much harder on the road.

Reply #507191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ-Cairns GF for me, will be a repeat of the 2011 Grand Final but more even and competitive.

Reply #507194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did we know that Damo led the league in 3 point % last season?

Makes no sense.

Reply #507257 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Gos is that Hire should be back for their next game. Could be interesting. It's really gotta be a must win for the Cats if they want to stay in touch with Cairns and The Breakers.

Reply #507404 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:03 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754