Anonymous
Years ago

Question to LC about Humphries and Maker?

I am curious to know why Isaac Humphries is considered to be a slightly better player than Thon Maker (at this stage) and what this assumption is based on? ( not that I disagree, I wouldn't know but curious on your thoughts here).

Also, I would like to know what the positives are for Isaac, moving to play High School basketball in the US, over staying at the COE in Australia?

Will he develop better in the USA, in your opinion?

One more thing. I read in an old article that Isaac could end up 7'2 or 7'3.

Being only 16, do you think he is likely to grow any taller? (I know his is lited now at 7'0).

Thanks.

Topic #36119 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

La lumiere is a top 5 high school. Humphries will improve his game no doubt, By being there. Mainly due to the fact that the game will speed up, similar sized guys to play against etc. if he went to Coe it would be based more on learning fundamentals.
I think Humphries(6'11+) will end up being 7'0-7'1 260 plus pounds. I guess what makes him unique is his mobility, his mid range shooting which is improving, ft shooting and tenacity. Something only seen in leaner players like Davis, cousins etc.
Maker(7'0) I can't see filling out much and will probably be 7'1 or 7'2 220-230 pounds. Definately a very mobile pf, with his ability to dribble and shoot. Great shot blocker and rebounder too.

Would make a good combo in the front court if they decide the play for aus.

Reply #507293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just asked a similar question on SEABL Thred

re: SEABL joins BA
Regarding comment from Bear.

"I actually think it could foster some very good juniors, but lets face it the best juniors we have will go overseas in some capacity before they come back here."

Always an interesting conversation point.... Not all of the best juniors head OS. I strongly believe we have great talent locally, peaking in their early 20's that never entertained USA college route.

Reply #507295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries is 7'0 / 250
Maker is 7'1 / 210

They've both shown how skilled they are, with really similar skillsets. Other than mix tape highlights, Maker's skills don't even seem that great. Humphries has shown time and time again what a talent he is (both in Australia and on the international stage). So with similar levels of talent, I think most people will go for the one that's a solid 20 kilos heavier - he'd absolutely dominate Maker down low.

Going to La Lumiere (which is the #4 ranked school in the US if I'm not mistaken), will only improve Humphries more. Playing against better athletes, a faster game. It seems as though it's only a matter of time before he gets the exposure (exposure he wasn't getting at the CoE because, let's face it, it's poorly run atm) he deserves.

Can't wait to see how both fare this season, and beyond!

Reply #507296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is the COE poorly run ?

Reply #507300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AIS poorly run? On what basis do you make that comment?

Seven of COE kids were members of the Silver Medal winning U17 World Championship team in Dubai. That's a pretty good result.

The COE kids played in SEABL last year, whilst they only won a handful of games. I don't remember him exactly tearing it up in SEABL last year?

So to say he's gone to improve his game presumably against better/faster opposition is not an accurate assessment. It's an opinion. For me he still had to prove his worth in SEABL.

I think you'll find he's gone to get more exposure in the USA. Plenty of College coaches get to see them live in the USA. That can be a good or bad thing.

If you're good enough you'll make the NBA from the COE - Bogut, Mills, Dellavedova, Exum, etc

In any case good luck to him.

Reply #507305 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Firstly, playing US high school hoops does not necessarily guarantee improvement beyond what the CoE provides. What it does however, is provide an opportunity to be noticed - gaining a huge amount of exposure otherwise not available in Australia. It also provides an opportunity to be "the man" on the team. The star player - something that is not as prevalent back in Australia where the team usually comes first.

As for Humphries vs Maker - I would say that they are two very different types of players. Both are 7 foot, but Maker is far more athletic and has way better handles than Humphries. Humphries is physically bigger and heavier. Both are exceptional talents.

Humphries has proven himself on the world junior stage. Maker has not.

Both will continue to gather a huge amount of hype. Both will be expected to dominate at HS level and the translate that to college.

Reply #507313 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The COE has always been well run, but not always well funded!

Reply #507314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As far as the development of players goes, the CoE has been great. Not denying that at all. World class facilities, round the clock treatment similar to that of a pro athlete.

But in regard to the politics behind certain things, including the way they handle their athletes with recruiting, etc - they've been terrible. And even Bogut would agree with that statement.

And it's not that the competition in US high school is 'better', the key is that it's different. I think it's important that, if you're looking to pursue basketball as a career, and you want to play college basketball at a high level in the US, then getting over for high school is very valuable. Again, not that the high school kids are better that SEABL players, they're not. The game, however, is a lot faster. Unbelievably faster. For someone like Humphries, or anyone for that matter, it's valuable to become accustomed to that style of play.

Reply #507320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"if he went to Coe it would be based more on learning fundamentals."

Does the AIS/CoE actually teach the fundamentals well though? I'd say two of the biggest areas for improvement with Exum are ball handling and shooting. Conversely Ben Simmons' ball handling and shooting technique appear to have advanced a lot in his time at HS in the US.

Obviously passing, court awareness, vision, understanding of different systems etc. are fundamental skills as well, and they're skills both Exum and Simmons appear to have.

I'm not trying to make a sweeping generalisation about the AIS/CoE, but I wonder if there is anything to learn from the different development pathways of Exum and Simmons.

Reply #507367 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Ben Simmons has always been an elite ball handler. Ever since u12's - nothing to do with US High School - just correct fundamentals and practice from the beginning.

Reply #507435 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Humphries has proven himself on a world stage, Maker hasn't? Thought the answer was pretty simple.

Reply #507571 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754