LC
Years ago

NBL R11: United vs Kings

Big game in Melbourne this afternoon as United host the red-hot Kings.

United by 1.

Preview: Sydney storm into Melbourne territory

Coming into this game, the Kings and United sit 4th and 5th respectively on the table. As things start to heat up this season, this could prove to be a critical game when positions are decided at the end of the year.

Topic #36124 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'm with you LC, this game is probably one of the most crucial games of the season. The series between United and the Kings will be a big part in deciding the 4th spot and so both teams will be keen to get first blood. Who will go the full Rambo this afternoon? Will Childress bag out? Who from United will stand up? and will Ben Madgen dance with a chair?

I'm actually liking the Kings to get this one. Being able to shoot the 3 is important, but the Kings can do that, plus drive in, plus be a threat inside. I think Tommy Garlepp will be the quiet achiever and will be the difference today (sorry Tom for giving you my Kiss of Death, don't let me down son!)

Kings

Reply #507335 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

In the Perth v Sydney Game the Kings didn't go to Childress early in the game or early in their offence and it seemed to throw the Perth defence off.

Reply #507340 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I also think Garlapp may be the difference between the two sides but Sydney need to shut down Melbournes perimeter shooting if they are to have a hope in hell of winning.

Reply #507342 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Word at the venue is Childress is OUT! Hamstring issues apparently.

Roy Ward: Josh Childress no where to be seen on court, his name isn't on the scoreboard. Appears he is a late scratching due to hamstring probs

Could be the difference between winning and losing fro the Kings if he does in fact miss the game.

Reply #507343 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ouch!

Time for someone for Sydney to grab the bull by the horns

Reply #507344 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

That changes everything, I now expect Melbourne to pull away in the 3rd.

Reply #507345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress is out. Tigers paying 1.25. Ouch.

Reply #507346 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Cadee! Wow

14 points (4/6 3pt) in the first 8 mins of the game!

That's what I have been waiting to see from him.

Good on him for punishing United. They didn't show respect when he came off those on ball screens.

Reply #507350 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Great to see Childress on the sideline coaching players and helping them out, jumping up supporting his team and cheering every bucket and getting among.

Reply #507353 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Daniel Joyce, drop him to the 2nds.

Reply #507354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed about Childress macdub. It shows he cares about the team unlike Sam young.

Reply #507357 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Childress has the right attitude. A very good example to many.

Some very hot shooting in that first half!

Reply #507358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee deserves to start next year for Sydney too!

Reply #507359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walker looks a little toasted ! Too much beach...

Reply #507361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

O/T, great game so far!

Reply #507362 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

Tigers struggling to beat Sydney who are missing childress, they are not a top 4 team United

Reply #507363 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Tigers United!

Reply #507365 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

I meant united force of habit
Did childress do his hammy after those celebrations against Perth

Reply #507366 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

What was final score? Half an hour after game finished it's still not on NBL website #surprise,surprisesundayrates

Reply #507369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney robbed of the foul on Cadees drive. Should be their win. No I am not a Sydney fan. Well done to them on the pseudo loss without Childress. Start worrying United..

Reply #507375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

105/101

Reply #507376 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

No foul on Cadee, he got himself out of control.

Possibly a foul on Walker on the rebound though.

Not an inspiring weekend for United but they have escaped with 2 wins and remarkably, depending on the result this afternoon could find themselves half a game outside second by this time next week.

Reply #507377 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

It's better to stunningly than lose ugly and both those games were very ugly but they are still worth the same points.

Reply #507381 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Couldn't catch OT, but who was it that gave Kickert that three to tie up the scores in regulation? Duinker or Garlepp? You could see that Kickert three coming from a mile away with him pretending to take it easy further in, then sneaking out.

Thought the Kings did well to stay in it. And DMac seemed reluctant to use his bench much, in the segments I watched at least.

Reply #507387 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Cadee fouled on drive , but

1) refs don't call that in the last seconds of a game
2) refs don't call that on Worthington
3) every guard knows they won't get the score or the foul in that situation on Worthington.

Cadee is just not that bright ( loved his behind tha back dribble that gave the steal and lay up to Melb - when they desperately needed a stop and it looked like sydney were about to go 6 up in the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter.

Reply #507398 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Weird to see Melbourne struggle at home against The Kings without Childress.
Not exactly stamping their authority on 4th spot.

Reply #507401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

garlepp didn't make the distraction run when dunker overran the shot blinder

Reply #507403 | Report this post

Peterjohn  
Years ago

Very Old, re 2) - refs apparently also don't call Worthington for pushing his opponent in the back with both hands so he could receive the inbounds pass, and don't call him for walking into a driving Garlepp. Both were plainly visible in real time and neither called. Even I was surprised at those two, and I'm usually a referee apologist. Or maybe it was 1) again - the rules change when it's overtime. Bizarre stuff.

Reply #507411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Magden's travel and then he puts up a shot - clean block by Wortho - called a foul.

Reply #507412 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Honestly, that was a good game to watch on TV even with Childress out.

Melbourne sneaks back into top four after overtime win

Despite a spirited effort without Josh Childress, the Sydney Kings have gone down to Melbourne United, who needed overtime for the second consecutive game before prevailing 105-101. The victory has moved United back above the Kings on the ladder, two wins clear in fourth place.

Reply #507416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the game, and was incredibly frustrated with Dmac's coaching. 3rd quarter, up by 13, then much of the rest of the quarter had lineups of:
Wortho, Tomlinson, McRae, Walker, Macmillan
then
Tomlinson, DC, Odigie, Walker, Macmillan

That last lineup especially was just completely out of sync - obvious that players were playing out of position, and they didn't even look like scoring. And guess what, Sydney pulls right back into the game during that stretch. Could have, and should have been at least a semi-comfortable win, if coached better during that stretch.

Reply #507428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch the Sixers game replay on NBL TV for bizarre reffing. This season has to be the worse for inconsistency and star dazzled refs than any previous season. I watch all games, not just my own team and it is mind boggling. Feel for players and coaches who must struggle to adjust as each ref is doing their own thing so depending on the quarter and ref position it swings around all game.
No leadership and obviously no reviews and no communication as was suggested from last season. Poor all round really.. Players retying their best under weird circumstances.

Reply #507437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly proved dmac can't coach and down the stretch before o/the the refs lost it.

Reply #507450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was there at the game and I must say that there was a great crowd. Outside the United organisation were keeping everyone and the kids happy despite the heat. Inside awesome venue, great A/C, good seating, bars, food accessible, prices will be what they are at these sort of places of course.
Atmosphere was great, pre game stuff was great, game was, video was great, court announcer is Wayne so forgettable.
Clappers are free and McD free sponsored.
All in all one of the best basketball venues I have been too. Free seats helped and 9/10. BTW the crowd was far more than apparently in previous game there. 8.5 outta 10.
Anyone know what it was?

Reply #507496 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

A very disappointing 5.2k

Reply #507499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Music the most annoying ..

Reply #507502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had no problem with the music and kiss cam was way to slow. The bongo things didn't really work IMO and the clappers definitely did. ;)
I had asked one of the staff there how many it held and he told me approx. 6500 her thought?
So 5200 is far better than the 3500 they had before surely.

Reply #507526 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Last season they had four games at Melbourne Park and got over 6000 for all of them from memory, so crowds have certainly dropped off, as you'd expect. Atmosphere sounded good though, hopefully they play more there next season.

This was a cracking game to watch, huge shot from Kickert, looked like the Kings had done enough to cause a massive upset. Looking forward to the next game between these two with Childress on deck.

Reply #507535 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754