LC
Years ago

NBL R11: Taipans vs Breakers

Pretty important game for Cairns in particular today one would think.

I think the Breakers will be too good and win by 7.

Preview: Taipans host Breakers in top three clash

Following their Friday night loss to Adelaide, Cairns have dropped to third on the ladder and have lost an opportunity to re-gain top spot tonight against the Breakers. Their top four position seems secure but since their red-hot 6-0 start to the year, they have gone just 4-5.

Topic #36125 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ will need the bench to step up after playing Townsville on Friday but with Tai Wesley, Ibekwe & Rhys Carter as backups they can carry some confidence.

Should be a great game, such a shame it is overshadowed by such a tragedy.

Reply #507337 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great points Mystro.

Terrible tragedy overshadows this game.

Reply #507338 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

condolences from this side of the stream, you guys are going through some rough shit at the moment with the incident in Sydney and now this terrible tragedy in Cairns.

Reply #507341 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yep, terrible tragedy. :( Hearts goes out to all those affected.

Mystro, TAB offering another Ced special today.

Ced to score 16 or more and Breakers win, paying $3.50.

I would like it at $4, not sure its worth it at $3.50. In saying that, Ced played one of the worst games ever as a Breaker and still had 13.

Cairns will also be very competitive today I think.

Reply #507355 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm broke so won't be betting :(

Reply #507356 | Report this post

formosa  
Years ago

breakers for me, been betting wildly this weekend and when im 9 for 9, I reckon go with breakers. but expect it to be close, much like the capitals game in melbourne

Reply #507368 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I haven't even been able to watch news coverage of the horrible tragedy. Just incomprehensible.

On the less important issue, its an "important" game for both clubs.

Reply #507374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Snakes up 12 at 3/4 time

Reply #507383 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Cairns match up against NZ very well.

NZ 0/16 from 3 and no offensive rhythm.

Cairns have great balance across all positions with no real chink in their starting 5 armour.

In saying that, I can't stand Gliddon. I get the feeling he thinks he is better than what he is. I really don't rate him too much tbh.

Reply #507390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He just got 18 and 9 on your boys MACDUB... He's alright. Surely you can't stand Corey Webster for the same reason?

Reply #507392 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Agree on Gliddon, overrated

Reply #507393 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Good win for the Taipans at home. NZ shot the ball fairly horribly and deserved to lose.

Reply #507399 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Am I reading this right, The Breakers went none from 17 from outside the arc?

Well, its certainly kept things interesting at the top. Hard to see the Cats catching Cairns until at least round 14~15, whereas results next round could see Cairns finish the year on top.

Reply #507402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ couldn't make any 3s like the Sydney game although Cairns did a good job getting a hand up to a lot of those 3s which would have normally been open.

Reply #507405 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

great game by taipans today,burston a force to be reckoned with in the paint this season.
gliddon is the ice man and is ready to take the crucial shots...I like the kid, he knows when to come in and out of the game unlike the inexperience of wilbekin.
today I was impressed with fearnes boys....they are officially a dark horse for the 2015 title.

Reply #507414 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Taipans played well, seemingly inspired to lift the community with a win. I did not see this coming...

Taipans strangle lifeless Breakers in blow-out victory

The Cairns Taipans have put the NBL on notice with a crushing 83-59 defeat of the New Zealand Breakers. Cairns broke out to an early double digit lead and cruised to victory on the back of some solid all-round play.

Reply #507417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the tightest season I can remember for a while

Reply #507418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skull - Burstons run will end if the refs ever call a 3 sec on his camping trip.

Reply #507441 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Cairns played great yesterday and thoroughly deserved the victory.

They demolished NZ at both ends of the court, hence it was a convincing victory.

I like their chances for the championship. Is it just me or do people think it would be better for them to finish 4th rather than 3rd.

If NZ stay atop and Cairns finish 4th, they'd have a great chance to knock NZ off in the semis and go to the GF series. I don't think they match up against Perth quite as well.

Anon #392, a few of the NZ players are overrated. Abercrombie springs to mind. Webster not so much..his ppg average this year is double his career average.

Gliddon was last season's team MVP.

Reply #507443 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

anon- I was at the game and don't recall the 3 second call even being bought up by anyone !!

Reply #507453 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

0 3P% ... Didn't see that coming.

Reply #507454 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Gliddon overated hey..Egg meet Face!

Reply #507455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grand Final preview. Alarming for the Breakers.

Reply #507468 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Gliddon overrated and arrogant? Are you sure you're watching this dimension's NBL.tv?

Reply #507476 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

If different teams have bogey match-ups it all may come down to what the semi-final pairs are.

Reply #507481 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Gliddon held a gun to Cairns' head and called the shots re: salary and playing opportunities.

There was a lot of demands for someone who I would group with the likes of Steindl, Blanchfield, Coenraad, Creek, Teys etc.

Also, there was talk that Gliddon wanted a guarantee that he would be the starting PG as he felt he had a great chance of Boomers 2014 onwards.

Reply #507487 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Gliddon held a gun to Cairns' head???? Guarantee's?? wow you know a lot about the inner workings of the club....

Flabbergasting... Brother, I can tell you for a fact that you're further off the mark than a North Korean ballistic missile..

Reply #507490 | Report this post

Wonders  
Years ago

I'm going out on a limb here... Cam Gliddon probably doesn't even own a gun

Reply #507497 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

He clearly means guns as in bicep. He put Cairns in a headlock.

Reply #507500 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Remind me please of what Gliddon has accomplished?

Reply #507504 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Why is that relevant?

Reply #507511 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Can only put Macdub and Mystros comments down to the fact that they mustn't have watched gliddon play much and that their breakers got smashed by 24 points. He's a fringe boomer and one of the most consistent and smartest players in the league. Even if he held Taipans mgmt to ransom, the results this season are clearly worth it.

Reply #507520 | Report this post

Wonders  
Years ago

Did anyone catch his down-the-lane dunk off the bounce in Adelaide? Damn...

Reply #507531 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

It was great, as was Burston on Abercrombie.

Reply #507537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Gliddon was from NZ he would be pushing as a starter in your National team but you are bagging him out for not accomplishing anything?
NBL Rookie of the Year, Club MVP as a 24 year old the following year and Club Captain at 25 is a pretty good list of achievements for someone midway through their third year of professional basketball... Plus going for 18 and 9 against the guard duo of Jackson and Webster only two days ago... Probably the wrong time for you fellas to talk him down.

Reply #507572 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

oh damn! an Anon just dropped a truth bomb!

As I live and breath.

You don't get voted captain by your peers if you're a jerk. You don't get the respect around the league he has if you're overrated.
If i was starting an NBL franchise tomorrow, C Gliddon would be the first person I'd sign (followed by Mika)

Reply #507606 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754