Not sure
Years ago

Marino reported

What happened ?
Hard to see boti Nagy reporting being accurate

Topic #36145 | Report this topic

Comeandsee  
Years ago

Immediately when the siren rang, Marino turned around and shook her finger at the official while having words, turned away to shake an opponents hand, then turned back and began shaking her finger at him again while having more words. I can only imagine it was during this altercation that the report arose.
Incidentally I believe the opposition coach intended on making a formal complaint to the league regarding the same official from that same game....

Reply #507687 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I saw this happen last week, and was going to post about before Xmas.
Marino drove into the lane. The first lot of contact by the defender was probably enough for a foul to be called. She then got by this defender and defensive pressure by another defender forced her to then try and dribble around under/behind the rim She managed to pass to a player in the key and then ended up on the floor out of court. I was on the wrong side of the action but it looked like she was shoved/pushed, it was definitely a foul and should have been called (some might argue it was intentional).
This was in the last seconds of game,so emotions were high, the Lightening were still trying to win but would of required a miracle (unsportsmanlike foul, tech foul, etc) and silly turnover by Canberra.

After siren went Marino was in middle of court, when she turned to the ref (Ben Mcdonald I think, not 100% sure.) and let rip, pointing her finger at him. She went through process of shaking hands with Canberra and then when walking back to the team bench turned and let rip again, and then again.
The way she let rip probably showed why they didn't call the foul. I don't watch a lot of the Lightening but if she has a habit of abusing refs, then they probably will turn a blind eye to fouls on her.
In saying that the refs must remain impartial, no matter what, and call a foul if it is there. The refs definitely made a mistake not calling this foul, and a few others towards the end of the match. Jenni Screen was also manhandled with no foul called. But we all know refs make mistakes.
Marino's tirade at the refs was appalling and she should be more mature and learn to go about it a better way to get the refs to understand her position.
If the Refs are missing the most obvious of fouls, they are maybe not up to reffing in this league. IF THEY ARE NOT CALLING THE FOUL ON PURPOSE, then they should never umpire again.

Reply #507696 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

If a ref didn't know what a foul was, I would probably let him know how I feel too. He probably got off light.
None likes to hear the truth. So a report was probably filed on said player. Would like to see the match report from both teams on the refs.

Reply #507698 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

It's just a game, the refs are human put it in prospective. You get absolutely nothing from it. Lets say after every bad game by a Ref you get to abuse them as much as you like with no penalty. What will change? And if that's what makes you feel better then I say your the problem. And no I'm not a Ref but as I player and a coach I never lost my poise to the point that would disrespect anyone.

Reply #507702 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Plus the foul was not in that Refs zone of coverage.. she was barking up the wrong tree.

Reply #507703 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

I don't mean I would yell and abuse him, just politely ask for his perspective of what happened.
No one said anyone can abuse refs with no penalty. I think she deserved to be reported for the way she went about it.
THE QUESTION IS did they see the foul, or are they just ignoring the foul when it suits?

"Plus the foul was not in that Refs zone of coverage.. she was barking up the wrong tree."
@Michael, so you are implying you saw the so called foul, as you know which ref was in which zone at the time. From your perspective what happened?
By saying she was barking up the wrong tree, I guess she was right to be upset with the no-call, but just at the wrong person.

Reply #507709 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

She was forced to drive through the lane on the baseline tried to double back but couldn't went out the other side cleared the lane and got hip checked as she got rid of the ball. The play that she finally lost it was the sideline officials (C) zone she was upset with the baseline official (L).

Reply #507728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's a massive sook. No excuse for going off like that. Questionable calls happen all the time.

Reply #507749 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Maybe Daddy needs to buy her a whole league instead of just one team!!

Reply #507753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um....Sure your not a ref Michael. All players know where the 'Red' zone is for umpires, and would know which ref it was who should have made the call.

McDonald should report himself considering the way he abuses referees when he coaches himself. And should maybe spend more time trying to stop dozens of players from leaving his club then in frivolous reports before they don't gave any players left at all.

Reply #507759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was not just Marino who took issue, it was across the whole court, benches and crowd.

Reply #507768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some more wonderful reporting from Bogi Nagi.
If I remember correctly he is the cause of many players leaving clubs too, and has also been reported many times.
I guess those who cant play ref, and those who cant coach write for The Advertiser

Reply #507857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben McDonald the ref? Massive egotist! Have seen him playing in lower levels and is always on the referees case. He spends more time questioning the refs than he does on concentrating on his own game.

Reply #507862 | Report this post

Kendrick Perry  
Years ago

Shes still hot but

Reply #507864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% correct Kendrick. Best instagram in the WNBL by a country mile

Reply #507881 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There's a lot of happy teenage boys

Reply #507884 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

Benn McDonald, the same guy who thinks he is the greatest ref, coach and player in AFL.
No wonder he has been starved of NBL duties.
The guy isn't up to standard in WNBL or NBL. Simples

Reply #508366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So not sure was Boti right?

Reply #508367 | Report this post

Not sure  
Years ago

Obviously report dropped

Reply #508519 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Thought she had a great game on Sunday!

Reply #508520 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754