Anonymous
Years ago

2015 East Coast Challenge

Does anybody know when the fixtures for ECC will be online? Also any teams and players to look out for at the tournament next week?

Topic #36158 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

When they become available you should find them here:

http://www.nswbasketball.net.au/high-performance/east-coast-challenge.html

A better bet would be to get them from the coach/s, team manager or your State Association.

The fixtures in themselves are not that important as NSW & Vic try to have equal teams as this is a trial of sorts for the eventual Metro teams. For U18 it is definitely a trial as the teams are named shortly after the ECC. For U16 it is the first step of the U16 try out process.

The ECC gives coach/s valuable insight into how a player performs in a high quality tournament competition environment, some in a foreign location (i.e. away from the creature comforts of home) to gauge how a player copes.

Reply #507907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You should watch the ECC and then head to Albury for the ACJBC. U18s will be great to watch as the players trial for spots in their State teams.

Reply #507934 | Report this post

Peds  
Years ago

Albury a better tournament, but not a better standard.

Reply #507939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ debatable. Largely dependent on the standard of players in individual age groups.

Reply #507940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peds, no idea!

Reply #507950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's great the country kids get to hang out in Albury.

Now back to ECC where the kids from NSW, VIC and SA metro are playing a practice tourney...

Reply #507957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And ACT of course!

Reply #507958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

957 just hit the nail on the head, and yes I've been to both.

Reply #507961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How relevant is this and the Pacific one

I'm aware of kids who are not even in their club's top 2 or 3 teams and representing the State. Who has it wrong??

Reply #507963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Errr, whats the ACJBC if not a 'practice tourney'?

Using a cloak of anonymity to bag out a perfectly good tournament that many players from around the country look forward to (and a tournament that, for most, is the highest level they will compete at) is nothing short of pathetic. I've watched the ACJBC for the last 9 years and don't have a bad word to say about it. NSW, VIC and SA all use it as a selection trial for their U18 State teams that are announced shortly after so unless they have it all wrong, you are mistaken.

Reply #507967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#507967 I think you are a little excited, nobody "bagged out" (do they say that in the country?) anything.

It is just the topic is 2015 ECC

Reply #508003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not everyone wants to do the east coast tourney and while its developmental as is any tournament it's not that important. In the past several players who didn't attend still made state . It used to be a horror bus trip but that may have changed. The country tournament runs two teams per level so the standard is down but it is good in that it gives a lot of kids who won't make state a feel for interstate competition. Neither is an elite tournament and neither are of much significance. Of the two, Albury has the better feel and offers more to and for the kids.

Reply #508005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ecc run two teams each level to , well Vic metro do , and the rest are really not state standard as many who make the state team don't go, and they are not of a national standard, so it's no different from the country cup except that the kids play more games at country cup than at ecc, with a better atmosphere which is more like a nationals event. Ecc is like an in house school comp the way it's run.

Reply #508054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ECC is a waste of time just like the Super Development League for the NSW players development.

Both tournaments are for BNSW to collect money as per all events they organised.

While coaches from interstate use tournaments as part of their basketball programs development with the end goal of improving the players skills. BNSW coaches better known as the "Boys Club" use it to pat themselves on the backs boosting their egos all while the players and parents are unaware they is zero benefit from participating in the BNSW events and the main reason why the top players in NSW are deciding not to play in BNSW event opting to go elsewhere to improve their basketball skills.

BNSW program is an EMBARRASSMENT!!

Reply #508075 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I feel a lot of this is just the parent's point of view, as a player who went to ECC on multiple occasions, it is definitely not a waste of time. It's great preparation of playing against traditionally the 3 top states and ACT, who are sometimes competitive. Perhaps parents see it as useless or have some hate towards BNSW (presumably because your child didn't get selected and it was their fault not the fact that your child just wasn't good enough). But as a former player I'm all for it.

Reply #508095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ former player, curios what year did you play ECC. You write as a mature adult. may I suggest you played in a different era. My daughter played in recent years and her first comment to others is " It was fun" .
Not all parents are bitter if their child does not get selected at a higher level. We are not stupid and understand that only 10 can get selected for State and some of us are even smart enough to see our children are not at the level to play state.
Anyway my daughter went, had fun and still talks about ECC as a great experience,and that is all an experience.

Reply #508097 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

@reasonable parent ^
I went in 2010/11, perhaps it has changed since then and people are unhappy for whatever reason now. But I was just writing from my own experience.

Reply #508107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It never changes from year to year. Parents griping about their child's non selection. Both the Country Cup and ECC are fantastic tournaments. I have never heard a kid say they didn't want to go or that they didn't enjoy it. Perhaps the bus trips back were not that enjoyable in the summer heat?

Both tournaments are crucial for the selection of state's U16 & U18 Teams. It gives the coach/s a chance to see kids in an unfamiliar environment living in camp conditions similar to what can be expected at the Nationals. The physical demands placed on the players during these tournaments also tests the capability to be consistent performers each game. From what I have witnessed in 4 years of attendance there is no outrageous favouring of players from a court time perspective. Although I'm sure there will be parents who will beg to differ.

At the end of the day the coaches pick a team of 10, they can't pick 10 point guards, they can't pick 10 centres. It is a balancing act to get a good team balance. No doubt some coach/s have there favourites. This to to be expected, they're human and have opinions just like you & I as to who is or is not a good player. For many parents this is scene as favouitism. I can't disagree. Many coach/s get their selections wrong & they probably won't admit it publicly. For the parents griping about their child not getting selected have a serious look at what your child does in games compared to a 'like' player and be transparent & honest is your assessment.

If you child scores consistently, plays good D, does the hard team oriented stuff, unrewarded running, etc and/or significantly out scores other 'like' players then you should have nothing to worry about. If your child has a questionable work ethic, is selfish, always trying to score not matter what (ie contested shots), rather than passing it off to someone in a better position, then your child will probably not get picked.

Above all else, think your child lucky to even have this opportunity. There are many many more that don't even get this opportunity. Enjoy, it is a journey, speaking from experience, your child will find their right level & you and they will eventually see and know this.

Do your research, how many represent their state at junior level and go on to play WNBL, NBL, SEABL, Big V or dare I say go to the AIS or play for the Opals or Boomers? IMHO, not many. So parents just chill out, as someone else said Country Cup or ECC is maybe as good as it gets for some of these kids.

Reply #508241 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^ you are on the money, perhaps some will challenge paragraph 4, but generally what you say above is correct!

Reply #508243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was at ECC today, it is a waste of time.

I wish I'd given my kid a break instead.

Reply #508702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love both tourneys - a lot of talented kids enjoying playing at a representative level ! The prep and participation is fantastic - some parents are the only issue !!!

Reply #508707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money, Money, Money.

Get real, State Teams are already 90% picked and the 1 or 2 players they may be looking at are the 10th pick.

Reply #508744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many sooky bitter parents...

Reply #508828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U16 state teams haven't even had their trials yet!!!

Reply #508837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know how many playoff games have been cancelled at ECC because it is too hot?

Reply #508982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

be nice to see results posted

Reply #509083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wolves not Gators...oops

Reply #509085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ridiculous that games are called off. How do you develop at a development tournament when you call games off? I wonder if parents will be given a reimbursement?

Reply #509120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well perhaps you^ would like to take the CRT in that heat and run around! seriously if games are called off it's due to the safety and health concerns of the players and refs! it's a game of basketball! not got to change the course of the world if it's called off but has the potential to cause serious illness if a child overheats. Good god some parents need to get a life other than their kids playing basketball

Reply #509122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was 38 degrees at Castle Hill yesterday! My daughter played her morning game and admittedly played most of the game - but her playing singlet was ridiculously heavy with sweat. So honestly, as a mum, I was happy they called off most games (not sure if it was all).

The stadium wasn't really an adequate venue for such heat, there were no fans and whilst doors were opened, too many people in there. Apart from the heat, it was an enjoyable tournament.

All teams had played each other. So coaches got to see their teams against everyone.

Reply #509125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if it's 38 degrees outside in the morning imagine what the temp,would get to inside with no ventilation. Any parent who would rather see their kid running around in temps like that should never have become a parent in the first place.....patenting is being responsible

Reply #509137 | Report this post

Heat  
Years ago

Boys teams still played at 1-30pm, with 1 girls game also played at 1-30pm girls, therefore the heat wasn't the issue..

Reply #509160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kids in Albury played in 44 degree heat last January and they call off the ECC at 38?

Reply #509161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both stadiums used in Albury and Wodonga have air conditioning that why! And even with aircon on days like that it's still hot, with often reduced game time or extra ref time outs,so to expect kids to play in 38 degree heat with NO air conditioning, as a parent you should be ashamed of yourself, grow up

Reply #509171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG....seriously do not believe the complaining about games being cancelled at a kids tournament by parents, REALLY......who are these kids playing for themselves or the parents, get a grip for god sake.

Reply #509172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like some of the powers-that-be are trying to cover themselves for their laziness? Calling off games is a terrible. As long as they keep their easy gigs though...

Reply #509272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most disgraceful display of lack of information. Every year this happens and never gets addressed. Why is it so hard NSW Basketball to actually upload current information rather than being a full day behind. With technology, social media and everyone having smart phones it's a joke that we can be at least up to date. Ludicrous!!!

Reply #509279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we still in Australia, heat is a component of our country. Calling off games outside in forty plus is common but a sport that plays indoors and doesn't provide air conditioning when it runs tournaments probably needs to look at itself. The last decade has seen basketball in most states keep their respective heads in the sand on heat and it would be a tragedy for a young death to occur and governments have to legislate compulsory heat policies because an inept body like BA couldn't move into the twenty first century.

Reply #509289 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I thought BA had a heat policy Anon? Certainly BV do.

Reply #509295 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

all an interesting point - I grew up playing on outdoor asphalt courts in the country and I never ended up in hospital or dead.

Can recall the old man with a black EH holden sedan with no aircond - driving on dusty summer country roads - now that was hot !

Bball was a summer country sport.

Gotta get that balance.

Everyone is different and we all can have medical issues complicating this.

Problem for non air cond venues - is there is so much air cond now everyone expects it.

Reply #509300 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

on a hot day why not start the games at 06.00 ?

wont hurt people getting up early.

Reply #509301 | Report this post

:  
Years ago

sorry meant unwell in 509300.

Reply #509308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, I meant air con rule, ie, all stadiums need to be air conditioned, it's a summer sport with temperatures of the up and all tenders for tournaments certainly should be air conditioned venues only

Reply #509318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA uses one air conditioned Stadium for its District competition.

Reply #509320 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

ALL TALKING ABOUT POLICIES AND GAMES BEING CALLED OFF, WHAT ABOUT THE RESULTS?

Reply #509332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This competition is about kids playing, not putting results up on a website.

Reply #509333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find that the teams themselves withdrew from the last round of games. Tournament organisers simply obliged to the requests of coaches.

Reply #509375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball in SA is backwards!!

Reply #509376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Air conditioned cars to school, air conditioned schools, air conditioned universities, air conditioned work sites, air conditioned pubs and restaurants , basketball stadiums saunas. Kids today are not used to heat because they rarely need to experience life without air conditioners, so for basketball to have a fifty fifty chance of survival long term they need to rethink their facilities

Reply #509433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why don't those who are complaining about games being cancelled due to the heat inside the stadiums go run round at the rate these kids are expected to do and see how good you feel, or better still go visit the hospital when kids collapse through heat exhaustion or perhaps wait till you get to the morgue before you realise that their are very very good reasons why kids or anyone for that matter should not put their bodies through those extremes. It's called duty of care also. You lot should be ashamed that you would want to see kids have to play in such heat. Go get a life away from sport as you really need a reality check

Reply #509440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Games were called off due to all heads of state and coaches agreeing to the safety of the players. Of course the organisers and coaches want the athletes to play but they need to think about the athletes safety first and foremost.
The ECC is a development tournament if you are worried about the score then you do not understand the aim of this tournament.
Also my child was in the Development League that BNSW ran and it is an unbelievably well run tournament. I think it is great for NSW athletes to come together and represent their club at a four week tournament. All directions are heading the right way especially considering the recent results at nationals for NSW.

Such a shame that parents cry and complain and it is mainly because their child was not selected or it is coaches complaining because they are simply not good enough to coach.

We should support and encourage all athletes and coaches!

Reply #509486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Complaint #508875
"the ECC is a waste of time just like the Super Development League for the NSW players development.

Both tournaments are for BNSW to collect MONEY as per all events they organised.

While coaches from interstate use tournaments as part of their basketball programs development with the end goal of improving the players skills. BNSW coaches better known as the "Boys Club" use it to pat themselves on the backs boosting their egos all while the players and parents are unaware they is zero benefit from participating in the BNSW events and the main reason why the top players in NSW are deciding not to play in BNSW event opting to go elsewhere to improve their basketball skills.

BNSW program is an EMBARRASSMENT!!"

Please tell me which players have opted to go elsewhere and play from the BNSW program? And you are gravely mistaken if you think it is not about development. Obviously a bitter parent or coach here.

Reply #509487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another dismal performance by sa country
Same old structure same old excuses=mindless hierarchy that can't see changes need to be made.
Solution is to merge with metro which will benefit all

Reply #512371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes pretty poor results from SA Country! Although in fairness to them, they didn't actually have any teams involved in this tournament so I guess it was always going to be hard for them to have good results.

Maybe that just means #371 is cluelessly trolling through old threads looking for any chance to have a go at SAC.

My advice to #371 is check your facts before posting something that shows everyone just how clueless you are.

Reply #512376 | Report this post

plmce  
Years ago

Does anyone know the venue for the ECC in 2016

Reply #565227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't it Bankstown because the Hills is under reno?

Reply #565234 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754