Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Players Needing Fresh Start

Yes we're mid way through a season but already some faces are looking out of place or favour and would benefit new or greater opportunities elsewhere.

Some names and where they may suit:

Lucas Walker - Had a blinder for Boomers in offseason playing the wing slashing to the basket with freedom but just not playing with confidence or regular rotational mins in Melb. At 29 it's time for him to get some burn. Best destinations Adelaide/Sydney.

Steve Markovic - This one is in a category of its own but free agent at seasons end and with talk of Crocs demise will be highly sought after. 30 in the new year if his body is right he helps a team contend. Best destination Melb where they lose McRae and can get import Centre to help Kickert with Dennis sticking around where they share ball handling duties and Markovic is a perimeter threat. Tomlinson heads to Brisbane.

Rhys Martin - Return north to Brisbane to lead the team at the point despite the return of Carson or Ervin unlikely.

The Crocs scenario would see few locals stay in the league; Blanchfield top priority around league, Steindel would test Europe, Norton will land back up role somewhere, Henry Breakers or homeless, Vandy and Holmes retire, Markovic mentioned earlier, Djeric back to DP possibly Sydney.

Topic #36177 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Walker - Sydney would be good for him or Wollongong.

Markovic - You would think Sydney would chase him.

Your Townsville picks sound right. Blanchfield would be a good fit for Wollongong.

Reply #508237 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

4 of the Melbourne players from last seasons reasonable team and the likes of Walker showing well for Boomers, effectively replaced by the Barlow, Kickert, Dennis and McRae. Wouldn't be great being benched and not able to get your rhythm or your game no longer valid. Feel for the likes of Walker. I would be getting out of there.

Reply #508238 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

where next for Jason Cadee ?

Reply #508248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Hill.

Any teams left in the NBL he hasn't played for before?

Reply #508250 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

Earnest ross, very good player but just on wrong team in my opinion

Reply #508269 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If Crocs stay put then I think they're better off letting Markovic walk. Always injured, lazy and with conditioning problems. Phenomenal player when he wants to be though...

Norton is already starting ahead of him anyway.

If they go kaput then Blanchfield, Steindl, Norton and Markovic are really the only guys that would get picked up.

Reply #508276 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Norton is starting ahead of him thanks to the Wombat's injuries, when he's healthy, Markovic is one quality... I haven't seen too much of Norton, he's coming along, but not a starter on any other team...

If the Crocs fold, I wonder if Conklin will stick around... he's proving tonight he can be a powerhouse, wonder if he'd be keen on naturalising or he only come back as he was settled in Townsville? Maybe Cody could tempt him in Sydney... Swapping Duinker out for Conklin would be awesome...

If he could be guaranteed healthy, I'd take the Wombat starting for the Kings as well next season...

Markovic/Madgen/Childress/Garlepp/Gladness starting five? Yes please :)

Reply #508281 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah but you cant ever guarantee his health because he is carrying way too much extra weight which is causing injuries to his lower body.

Reply #508285 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Mick...perhaps they need a Biggest Loser show in Townsville (just for point guards)?

Reply #508290 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Maybe they've confused losing games with weight...

Reply #508298 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Mitch Young doesn't seem to be getting any minutes this year. I think he could do better under a different program.

If Conklin left TSV then I'd love to see cairns grab him to replace Craig. Craig is good but with Weigh playing quite well there's just not enough minutes for him.

Reply #508314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was Cairns I would be trying hard for Ibekwe at the end of the year. Release Young and don't bring back Craig (as good as Craig is) and get an Aussie 3man to back up Weigh.

Wilbekin/Maynard
Gliddon/Bruce
Weigh/ ?
Lougton/Trigger
Ibekwe/Burston

Nice looking team to me, providing Wilbekin stays and returns near to early season form.

Reply #508323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cairns got Ibekwe with Burston, Trigger and Loughton there'd be even less min available.

Reply #508325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weigh(25min)/Loughton(5min)/?(10min)
Loughton(20min)/Trigger(20min)
Ibekwe(25min)/Burston(15min)

That would work out alright since Loughton can shoot the three ball very well. The three Aussie bigs are all over 30 so will reluctantly need to accept their minutes will start to decline in the coming seasons.

Reply #508335 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Loughton is already playing too many minutes in my opinion. He makes a lot of poor decisions and misses a lot of easy shots.

Reply #508356 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Shame that we haven't heard any more on Tassie getting a team as Lucas Walker would be splendid as the face of the team, good looking local with enough talent to start and if they could lure Matty Knight and Gibbo and add 2 imports and they have a pretty solid starting 5.

Waxy for me is the most in the NBL in need of a change.

Reply #508383 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:54 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754