mystro
Years ago

R13: Sixers Vs Breakers

The 1st place Breakers (13-5) head to Adelaide to take on the 6th place Sixers (7-10).
The Sixers gave NZ a serving back in Round 4 93-86 and NZ beat out Adelaide 101-80 in Auckland in Round 2 after retiring CJ Brutons number.

NZ want to beat Adelaide to give them the honour of having beaten every team in the comp on the road.
Adelaide want a playoff spot and need to start winning now.

NZ had a few injury worries during the game against Sydney last week with Vukona getting his head split open by Cody Ellis elbow when challenging his shot, Rhys Carter dislocating his finger and Cedric Jackson slipped in the open court and hurt his wrist. Adelaide still has Mitch Creek out injured still I believe.

Loads of good match ups across the court, should be a great game.

Topic #36180 | Report this topic

fstos  
Years ago

Apparently Creek and Wilson will play.

6ers a big chance unless CJ and Webster break out of their recent scoring slumps.

Reply #508294 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Sixers are a very good chance at home. NZ will need to play well to win.

Reply #508302 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I would say we are a chance but wouldn't say a big chance because NZ will be hungry after losing here last time.

Gibson's 300th will give extra motivation for the Sixers but I think NZ will be too good. Bookies odds look about right (however against Cairns Sixers odds were close to $5):

Adelaide @ $2.45
NZ @ $1.55

Reply #508303 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Adam Gibson must put his stamp on his 300th game if the sixers are to have a show today.

Joey Wright must put his stamp on Jamar Wilson if the sixers are to have a show today.

Given those factors, if the rest can continue their current excellent form and the crowd can roar, we just might have a show today!

Sixers game must be season defining finals standard!

Reply #508304 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Wilson MUST come off the bench for spot minutes, no question. Its not about being a hater, but he isn't what this team needs overall, but could be effective in spot minutes definitely. Ball will move and move well with Gibbo and Teys getting more touches.

Reply #508306 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Jamar Wilson will bring his calming influence to the game.

This game bookends R13. The Breakers have not played a game for 9 days and will have fresh legs, which should be the difference today. 9 days is about the longest gap you want. Any longer and the Pledgehammer forgets all the plays. Still, a Sunday afternoon game gives the Breakers an opportunity to go clubbing down Hindley Street on a Saturday Night.

This will be a massive game, no more than massive - massiver than a massive game. There are lots of things for and against each team. Would be good to see the Sixers cruise to a win in Gibbo's 300th game, but Cedric "The Dragon Slayer" Jackson will ensure the path is rougher than a tramping track in Fiordland. Vukona never gives a bad performance in Adelaide and Peach has apparently been preparing himself for a bruising encounter by having his daughters beat him with swimming noodles. Abba will be looking for a sneaky alley-oop or three to silence the crowd.

Would be great if Mitch Creek suits up, but I would expect limited minutes off the bench from him in that case. I haven't heard what the crowd numbers are like, but Breakers crowds seem to bring out the ex-pats. Fry up the fish and chips, the Breakers are in town.

The Breakers should finish the season on top and will be hard to beat if the Sixers aren't firing on all 6 cylinders. Keep it simple and make sure the basics are done right.

Let's Go Sixers! Let's Go!

Reply #508307 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

"Jamar Wilson will bring his calming influence to the game

Hope post game comments will be positive!

Reply #508310 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ayjay, I trust you can work out where that one came from

Reply #508311 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Sorry Jack did have a big one last night. Cheers.

Reply #508312 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

ADL you're better off without Wilson and Creek.

Reply #508316 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Sixers will hang around but I think Breakers can accelerate when they have to, whereas Adelaide will never get the initiative.

Reply #508324 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Good to see Adelaide hanging in, and even pegging them back in the 2nd.
Have to wonder if NZ's fresher legs will be a factor in the 2nd half?
I'd obviously love to see Adelaide take this. :-)

Reply #508326 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

The only thing keeping the sixes in it, is our pathetic free throw shooting. We should have put this away a long time ago.

Reply #508329 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Thank god Dean has taken Webster off, he has played poorly now for two/three weeks.

Reply #508332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It seems Joey should rest bodies every week.

The team seems to play better with their backs against the wall when missing 1 or 2 key players. It seems to work for coach pop when he he rests his stars.

Reply #508333 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Just waiting for the "Wilson scored 21 points, he's the reason we lost"...

Reply #508336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers lost because the Breakers are better in a lot of areas.

Reply #508340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And also because they don't have Schenscher on their team.

Reply #508341 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

Did Lachy Reid say "we will be after the break on ONE". I thought Mish Trewartha does Melbourne games ONLY? But it's nice to see her in Adelaide

Reply #508346 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

So many things happened today and yet, people only care about winning. Im not gonna break it all done but playing the role of a sour-puss might work well for some, but playing support of a fan is important.

some don't like creek, some don't like Wilson, some see no point in Daly, some cant for their life see the reason to keep Schenscher (for his free throws). the same was said early last season about BJ and every now and then, like Teys, they put up a great offensive game. And like a fox eyeing off sheep, they disappear.

Im no fan of Wilson however I don't diss the guy. If the coach didn't think he was up to it for the season and could/would be an integral part, so you think he would put him in the team?

if you don't like the team or who's in it, why follow it or go?

Reply #508347 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

6ers offense was horrible today. Not an enjoyable 2nd half to watch. Shame we were coming good I thought, and today was fantastic opportunity to make a statement and take a scalp. Didnt show up offensively and didn't take advantage at 52_50 with the ball to make anything happen. Tens makes that 3 for a 5 pint head, who knows, but too fragile at that end.

Reply #508349 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Amazing stat - Cairns and NZ collectively shot 23/50 from the free throw line against 36ers, this round. 46% from the FT line - wow!

Reply #508350 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Opportunity lost for Adelaide. Breakers shot poorly from deep, were hopeless from free throw line, turned the ball over 18-16 and seemed to have no idea about inbounding the ball under pressure.
Your team doesn't seem to have worked out what you are trying to do. Schenscher seems a spare part and Joey does not stay with him when game is on line.
Gibson either does not want to step up or is prepared to let others try.
Wilson is not a good decision maker and tries to do too much.
I'm not sure what Motum's role is. He seems useful in post but does not seem a "go to" option.
They don't go to Petrie enough and he seems to try to do what you can when you can.
Joey seems to rely on player's making it up as they go, and that is fine if you have more talent than opponents, but you don't, so you need a game plan to go with. And the courage to stick with it.

Reply #508351 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

Whya was Schensher not matched up every time Pledger was on, wy did Gibbo not play the point all game, why were the refs rubbish (One might think that with Adelaide hunting down Melbourne and the raw deal Crocs had might give you an idea!), Why Crawford and why would you ever have Crawford and Wilson with their defensive prowess NOT on at the same time.

Just waiting for the "Wilson scored 21 points, he's the reason we lost"... 21 points means nothing if the rest of your team is not hitting the board as well (yes Teys was off but he did everything right and create plays that not only put points on the boards but his defence and putting off the shooter is superb. Wilson is way too small. It is not just the offence, for me it is the defence issue and the players sacrificed on the bench to have him on court. Proof is in the games, when he scores , the team loses. Enough said.

Reply #508352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brock Motum is going to tie the hands of the 6ers this year and next. He is the worst defender in the nbl. He spends more time out the paint than in it, he doesn't push hard enough back to get his man and let's the gaurds take his man. He just wants to leak out and he can't rebound. I'm hoping he goes to the mark Davis basketball camp and learns how to rebound. Today was the 1st time I've seen him live and wowee, a guy who can't play D and forces terribly on offence and then gets a tech at a crucial time of the game

Reply #508354 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Well said Dave.

The constant abuse of Wilson is quite disappointing, considering he is one of the best players on the team.

Yes the guy is not perfect (if he was he'd be in the NBA), but we live with those shortcomings because overall Wilson as a package is positive for the team.

He had 8 FT attempts, the whole starting 5....4.

He makes things happen on offence.

Anyone who dismisses this and simply wants him gone is in fantasyland that the team can come up with something better within time and budget.

Reply #508355 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Strong game from Tai Wesley. Is he eligible for ROY?

Reply #508357 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

Marcus are you for real or just 10 years old !!

Reply #508359 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It was always going to be a tough game for the Sixers today. Right in it at 3 quarter time, but first 6 field goal attempts in Q were misses.

Regardless of individuals, shooting must improve. 2/10 3 pointers is a very poor return and I think the Sixers are 8/8 in 3PA/game.

Reply #508360 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Think Marcus is trolling.

Imagine how good it'd be if Marty and rat were giving Wilson instructions.... that'd make your day mate!

Reply #508361 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Good old Marcus Camby again.
A bit hard for the starting five to get F/T with Wilson holding onto the ball and driving.

The Sixers are 4-0 without Wilson. You can turn that stat around all you want but it is still 4-0

Reply #508373 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Coincidence does not necessarily imply causation

Reply #508374 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

didn't say it was a coincidence, said it was a stat. Turn it around however you want.. Does show the team functions quite well without him.
His assist count might be coincidence too.

Reply #508376 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@sixtiesrockstar, they are 3-1 without Wilson. As I said in another post about the 4 games

"1 they played excellent because of the psychology of it being Montreal's last game AND because they knew they would be getting a stud player in Motum. Gibson will NEVER have another game like that.

The other 3 games they have played extremely bad and were lucky to win two of them!"

"A bit hard for the starting five to get F/T with Wilson holding onto the ball and driving."

You must have been watching another game because Wilson's ball movement and passing was great in this game. He didn't get any assist but several times players missed simple layups off his passes (Schenscher 2 times and Motum once from memory).

I know it is hard for you guys to say it but Wilson had a great game both defensively and offensively.

Credit where credit is deserved NZ are a great team and require 4 excellent quarters of basketball for them to be beaten. Today we only played 2 and a half decent quarters. If Gibson didn't play so poorly and if we had a fully fit Creek that would have made a huge difference today.

Reply #508377 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Motum loves talking smack to the opposition, too bad he only got NZ fired up & Tai Wesley cotinued to let him know every time he scored.
He should try helping to build a winning record or even a lead before he starts running his mouth off.
Mitch Creek ridiculing Cedric Jackson for shooting an air ball on the telecast, he must have missed all the bricks his team chucked up & the massive air ball Wilson put up?

BJ Anthony doing what he does, hustle & bang in the paint to great effect. Needs a haircut unfortunately....

Reply #508382 | Report this post

annonymous  
Years ago

Despite the issues the Sixers had individually, they equally had some good and great moments. If they didn't then they would have been smashed.

That said, I thought Joey was not responsive to the runs that NZ had and perhaps his player movement and match ups were not right for some of that time. It was hard to watch Pleddger on court with Schensh on the bench. It was hard to watch Wilson and Crawford put on to replace Peach and Teys. Yes Teys not scoring but the work he and Peach were doing defensively, ball movement, running plays and disruption and ability to feed the scorers. It was hard to watch. It was hard to watch Wilson burning time when we needed quick movement, play and score or FT's while Gibbo was fighting for position at the baseline. So for me it was more than just the players, I thought it was first of all a bad night for Joey above all else. Yes he too can have a bad game.

PS - what the hell was that run from the refs of ridiculous calls let go and then the rubbish they dished out ? I guess we should be used to it along with those who can travel like the Leyland brothers and the off the ball rubbish.

Not bitter but just sayin.... Sorry to see BJ injured, for me if he is gone then that is the season done… I won't say what some will be thinking they would have preferred to see…

Reply #508389 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Gibson is the issue for this 36ers team. He just doesnt look to shoot - needs to be more aggressive at the offensive end if this team is to function properly.

As it stands...its a lot easier to defend 4 rather than 5.

Reply #508390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee, I wish the league's most knowledgeable fans would decide on who's the cancer on this team...

Reply #508392 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'career ending injury' on tv news last nite..bj anthony..

Reply #508393 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The 36ers have won four of their past six, losing only to the top two. Gee it's fun coming on here and read all the school kids sniping their "team"!

Reply #508395 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

^ +1

Reply #508398 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

twitter post from 36ers, after the game, saying Anthony thought it was his Achilles

As per Paul and Dave above. The 36ers lost because the Breakers beat them.

Knowing the usual suspects would be finding ways to blame Wilson, I paid a lot of attention to his game yesterday. I got the same impression as KingJames. He played a strong team game.

Given the last couple of weeks' posts blaming him for the team's defensive shortcomings, I also paid attention to that as well. I got the impression he did a good job of taking Jackson out of the game.

Rather than just trust my gut, I went and checked the data. The 36ers were +5 points with Wilson on the floor and -12 with him off the floor (54-49 while he was on, 20-32 while he was off).

Jackson had 14 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal when Wilson got into his face, half way through the second quarter. After that, Jackson had 2-1-3-1 for the rest of the game. BTW, Jacks had 10 points in 4 minutes before Wilson even got onto the court in the first quarter, with 6 points for the rest of the game.

So, for mine, the 36ers were beaten by a better team on Sunday. Had that team been competent foul shooters, the gap between the teams would have been more obvious.

In the same vein, had Cairns shot competently from the foul line on Wednesday night, that game would not have gone to overtime.

Reply #508402 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'm not saying Gibson is a cancer anon, more that he is the problem...2 different things.

I like Gibson and this isnt an attack on him but he is one of the most frustrating players I reckon. We are all aware of his talent and ability but he is so passive offensively that it is worrying. He just needs to fix that part of his game and it is more mental than anything.

Other worrying signs for the Sixers yesterday were;
- Teys turning down an open 3. I know he was having a shocker but you never turn down an open shot.
- Joeys coaching. We dont look to have any set plays on offense. We continually have these dry spells yet never seem to run or have a play they turn to for an easy bucket. Last year was the same but we had the individual brilliance of DJ and Ervin to create something when we needed it - we dont have that this year!
Taking Anthony out while he was on a roll and the instigator of a fight back the minute he missed was a mistake. I said to the people around me, why would you take him out? I cant remember the score at that point but we were either tied or a point behind. The next minute after that sub we were down by 8-10.

If Gibson was more attacking and we had better offensive sets then Wilson wouldnt have to take it upon himself to do it all and Motum wouldnt be chucking up junk.

Reply #508407 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I agree, Gibson is the problem not Wilson

Reply #508415 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Taking Anthony out while he was on a roll and the instigator of a fight back the minute he missed was a mistake. I said to the people around me, why would you take him out? I cant remember the score at that point but we were either tied or a point behind. The next minute after that sub we were down by 8-10.

BJ is a very high intensity player who was not only going at Mika Vukona offensively but having to defend him at the other end and was doing a great job. I suspect his Coach didn't want him to blow out & negate his effectiveness for the rest of the game & Joey would have a fair idea of BJ's limitations in regards to minutes played at such a high pace.

Reply #508420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anthony grabbed the guys arm to stop the shot, he was spent, he had asked for the sub, he doesn't play big minutes so he was out of breath. As I said he stopped the shot to get the foul to take a rest. He was going up and down in the one spot you will find that is why he went out of the game perhaps a time out would have got his breath back. Who knows but wished he would play like that all the time, needs to lose the hair cut though.

Reply #508423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought it was disgusting of Mitch Creek on national TV to hang on Cedric about the air ball.. Mitch is one of the worst shooters in the league. So maybe he should have a look at his own shot before hanging on a top3 player in the league!

Reply #508428 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:37 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754