Anonymous
Years ago

Re-arranging the imports on NBL rosters

As we are now about 2/3 of the way through the season, and knowing what we now know about the imports and what deficiencies each team has/doesn't have in their roster, if you could re-start the season, which imports from the current crop would you pick to strengthen your team?

In the case of Adelaide, you could treat either Montreal or Motum as an import.

For Melbourne, I think I'd trade McRae for Gladness. Melbourne appear to have overloaded on 'versatile' 2-3-4 players to the neglect of a genuine front-court presence. In losing McRae you'd definitely be losing a dynamic perimeter scorer, but Gladness would give Melbourne a legit 7 footer who could rebound and block shots.

On the flip side there some teams (thinking of New Zealand and Cairns) whose imports fans might be completely happy with and believe perfectly complement their team and its needs.

So with that in mind which of these imports do you wish your team had taken?

New Zealand: Jackson, Ibekwe
Perth: Beal, Daniels
Cairns: Wilbekin, Craig
Melbourne: Dennis, McRae
Sydney: Perry, Childress
Adelaide: Wilson, Montreal/Motum
Townsville: Conklin, Gladness
Wollongong: Ervin, Carson

Topic #36189 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Gladness is virtually useless in the NBL because of the way the game is called and how you aren't allowed to challenge shooters if you're American.

Reply #508421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aided by the fact Gladness is a dumb basketball player with no offensive ability.

I can see why he only lasted 5 minutes in the NBA but the real mystery is how he ever got there in the first place.

Reply #508426 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

because of the way the game is called and how you aren't allowed to challenge shooters if you're American.
Waah, waah!

Could put Ibekwe with United.

Adelaide should take Jackson and Conklin or keep Motum.

Wollongong should take Jackson and Beal.

Reply #508437 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

In a perfect world I'd swap Daniels for someone a bit bigger who can play his inside game in the NBL.

If choosing from the current crop, it would be hard to go past Childress. I think he would slot in well, still able to play the 3 spot.

Reply #508440 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Jackson and Childress are standouts. It doesn't matter what your team needs, if either of those guys were available you'd snap them up.

NZ appear to have the most balanced import options, even though Ibekwe gets called for a ridiculous number of fouls.

Reply #508447 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Jackson and Childress are standouts. It doesn't matter what your team needs, if either of those guys were available you'd snap them up.

NZ appear to have the most balanced import options, even though Ibekwe gets called for a ridiculous number of fouls."

It does depend on what your team needs.
For example there'd be no point Perth bringing in an import PG. I'm actually really happy with Beal in the 2 spot. Whilst you could make a case for McRae, I'd personally still keep Beal.

If a team needed a genuine Centre (and was lacking other options) then Gladness would be tempting.

Ibekwe's a excellent player, but I feel with Pledge in the middle, they'd be better off with a more mobile forward, and again Childress is the standout.

Reply #508482 | Report this post

United Fan  
Years ago

is motum classed as an import? or is motreal or whatever hes name still classed as theres? can they bring in another? sorry im a tad confused!

Reply #508497 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Motum isn't an import. Montreal isn't on the roster, and thus doesn't count as anything for Adelaide, so they only have the one import. No idea why the OP listed Montreal and Motum.

Reply #508499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz, it was just a hypothetical question asking which two imports would be best suited to your team knowing what you know now. Given that Adelaide cut Montreal and replaced him with Motum, I thought for the purposes of this question (again, hypothetical), and so that there would be two choices from each team, I would classify him as an import.

I certainly didn't intend for you to interpret the original post as some sort of sacrosanct decree of factual accuracy.

Reply #508506 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think even Townsville would take Childress if they could get him and half their squad are 3 men but he would certainly bring more bums on seats up there.

I'd like Childress in Perth but I think the Wildcats are going a set way with NBA draft picks with as much potential as you'll see over proven stars like Childress or Sam Young.

I think Wollongong would like to look for a second import again (I think they made the right call with Nevill/Gruber) but Jahii is definitely no Rotnei Clarke and maybe an import with range would be a good call so McRae would be an option.

Not sure if Perry would be suiting in NBL under any other team

Reply #508512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id trade Carson for anyone in SEABL, getting an actual NBL player in return would be a bonus.

Reply #508656 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"I'd like Childress in Perth but I think the Wildcats are going a set way with NBA draft picks with as much potential as you'll see over proven stars like Childress or Sam Young."

A player like Childress would slot in well, however Daniels is an excellent player. The only thing with DD is that he's a little light. He's very much a SMALL Forward, and I personally think that with Redhage getting on, they needed another PF type player. (The Absence of Hire has probably exacerbated this issue.)
However DD is improving in confidence with every game, and doubtless his development here will bolster our stocks as a D-League alternative.

Reply #508795 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Forget virtually..Two dunks and two block shots a night aren't good enough in any league!

Reply #508801 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754