Isaac
Years ago

Vlade Divac retires

At the age of 12, Vlade Divac left home to pursue a basketball career. Four years later, he had signed a professional contract in Yugoslavia.

Earlier this week he announced his retirement from professional basketball at the age of 37, unable to satisfactorily recover from a back injury.

Divac was selected late in the first round of the NBA draft by the Lakers in 1989, to replace Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and responded well - averaging 8.5 PPG and 6.2 RPG to earn All-Rookie First Team selection. He was only the second European to play in the NBA.

From there, Divac managed a solid 16 year career in the league. He averaged 10+ PPG for 12 straight seasons playing for three different teams and averaged a double-double three times. He has been considered the best passing centre of his time.

His career-best score of 34 in 2001 came in the same year as his All-Star selection. He dragged down 24 rebounds twice in his NBA career and he blocked 12 shots in 1997. He has two Olympics silver medals to his name.

Topic #3619 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

perhaps he could come and play for us!

Reply #42127 | Report this post

Satish Dogra  
Years ago

Vlade also deserves special commendation for his beard: he's almost the first player I pick in my All-Facial Hair Five!

Reply #42143 | Report this post

undersized pf  
Years ago

congratulations to Vlade on a wonderful career.

One of the greatest european ballers ever. He paved the way for the influx of europeans in the league.

One of the greatest passing centers ever.

A very underated player

GO VLADE!!

Reply #42435 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

it sounds like a decimanted laker fan who has no more favourite players the barrick for.

Reply #42471 | Report this post

undersized pf  
Years ago

just honoring a good center cheezeburger.

i honor all good bigmen

so whos starting center for atlanta this year?

Reply #42647 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Ahhhh! Vlade, this guy's game is based on fundamentals. I love players like that. I'm with you upf "honor the big guys" and you've got cheeze here although I've done some research and it would seem Vlade Divac is up to some shifty business. Check this out.

http://www.nbawire.com/players/Predrag_Drobnjak.html

Reply #42657 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

MEL, that's awesome..

Reply #42672 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

All hail Vlade!!!! Especially some of his memorable Olympic games!

Reply #43079 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Everybody loves a good beard...Vlade will live on forever, or mayb until beards arent cool anymore.

Reply #43607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with the crap posts you make dr bullshit you wont be living for long

Reply #43669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

divac shoolda retired ages ago

Reply #44719 | Report this post

stevan  
Years ago

Maybe some people doesn't remember him from his earlier days, but he is probably one of the best European "big man" that ever has played in NBA. I don't know why some people ignore European championship or the world cup, only mentioning two silver Olympic medals (I hope so, it doesn't have anything to do with the Americans) because that's the only thing they won in the last couple of years. Let's say his has 3 world cup gold medals back to back 1998-2002 with Serbia and Montenegro. and many european championship...

Reply #45339 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:06 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754