Anonymous
Years ago

Delly vs Philadelphia

Got the start again and casually dropped 8 dimes. Good onya, Matthew. Doing Australia proud :)

Topic #36195 | Report this topic

Naph  
Years ago

I'm a big Delly fan. But tonight was a really rough night for him.

Started well, distributed well, but finished horribly.

0:42 Matthew Dellavedova misses 4-foot jumper 92-91
0:41 shot clock turnover 92-91
0:20 Matthew Dellavedova misses free throw 1 of 2 92-91
0:20 Matthew Dellavedova misses free throw 2 of 2 92-91
0:02 Matthew Dellavedova misses layup 92-93

And he was on court for the entire 4th, when the 76ers scored 35 points. The Seventy Sixers. Score Thirty Six points. In the 4th quarter.

Admittedly I think A.J. Price was worse with his chucking to lose the lead that Delly built, but still.

Reply #508552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get out of here hater

Reply #508553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately, he probably played a big role in losing it for the Cavs in the end. Still, you learn more from that than anything I guess.

Reply #508554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

553, how is Naph a hater? Did you watch the game? Delly really struggled in the closing minute of the game. The two missed free throws especially cost the Cavs.

Apparently anyone who ever makes a realistic comment that is not positive about an Aussie is a hater? Hardly.

Reply #508555 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Probably the first time he's had the ball in his hands with the game on the line and having to make a winning play in the NBA.

Reply #508557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mods, please do something about those haters

Reply #508564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah can we please ban anyone who posts blatant hatred such as boxscores and play-by-plays?
Aussies are all perfect players who never do anything wrong or perform in a disappointing manner. Anyone who disagrees is committing the cardinal sins of being unpatriotic and of not having their head buried in the sand. No place for that sort of rubbish here.

Reply #508568 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Yep... it's not hating pointing out these things.

1/7 from the field. Missed 2 layups and 2 free throws in the last 43 seconds, in a game they lost by 3 points (2 of which were scored from a desperation foul with 0.3 seconds remaining).

Yes, he had 8 assists, and that's great. He was good for 3 quarters. But it's not hating to point out the glaring negatives in his game today.

Reply #508574 | Report this post

Darryl  
Years ago

Still having a solid season but even with 8 assists today wasn't one of his better games

Reply #508575 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Two missed FT were costly. Still, great opportunities for him, Ingles and Exum today.

From r/NBA, alongside a few rough statements about Delly (wanting him traded, etc) -

Last three possessions he went for a floater and missed, then he came up with 30s left and got fouled. He clanked both free throws. Then on the last possession he took the ball to the hole and missed the layup.

First reply:
To be fair, he only shot on those last possessions as a last resort. 76ers were heavily denying Love.
And once that was gone, who did you expect to make a one-on-one play? Thompson, Harris, Miller?

Second reply:
To be fair, I'm pretty sure he got fouled on that last possession.

Reply #508576 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

If I wanted to be a hater I'd point out that in the last 14 games Delly has shot 19 of 71 from the floor (.268) and has made just 4 of 28 shots from inside the arc over that time (.143).

Good A/TO, and still shooting almost 35% from three. But you have to admit, that's a pretty bad run shooting the ball overall.

I think he'll work it out. Its only his second year in the league after all. He's also coming back of a leg injury, so his endurance probably isn't where he'd like it to be at this point of the season. Playing starter minutes against great athletes when you're not at 100%, whilst a great opportunity, isn't exactly flattering.

Reply #508580 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It amazes me when people label someone a "hater" when they are simply stating clear plain facts.

Naph was simply listing the play by play on the last minute.

Delly will sort it out.

He has to keep shooting and i am sure everyone will be telling him that -- he needs to be a threat and punish teams that double LBJ etc.

Reply #508583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

love Delly and watched the Game - he had a shocker of a last 5 mins in the game

but he looked really fatigued too - coach should have sat him out a bit more during the game

he hasn't made the most of the opportunity and will probably be forced out of the main rotation once the new blood arrives

10 min max a game is where he's headed in the rotation - and hate to say it - unless he starts knocking down 3's this will be his last NBA season ....

(flame suit on)

Reply #508586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's playing in the NBA

Reply #508587 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

He's hitting 35% of his threes, runs the offense just fine, plays good defense in short bursts, and has really high end basketball smarts. Even should the Cavs decide to move on from him, he'll land somewhere and be a fan and coach favourite there as well.

Reply #508590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A large number of Cav's fans are calling for Delly to be cut...which can't see happening as he is the only viable back-up to Kyrie.

Delly is a 5-10min guy who is being asked to do to much for a second year player which isn't his or the coaches fault just circumstances.

Reply #508605 | Report this post

crocsfan  
Years ago

Did Brett Brown talk to delly at the game our talk about him in press conference? I understand they liked each other in boomers camp.

Reply #508608 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Even should the Cavs decide to move on from him, he'll land somewhere and be a fan and coach favourite there as well.
Yeah, can't see him not getting time somewhere.

Reply #508614 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

On those missed fouls shots. Did Brett Brown know something about Delly's mindset about late-game FTs? MCW wasn't going to foul him at first as the Sixers still had time after the shot clock, but once he crossed the halfcourt, Brown yelled at MCW to foul Delly. result, 2 missed FTs and the chance to win the game.

Reply #508618 | Report this post

Baller6  
Years ago

Yeah Brown knew something as normally you would not foul there, then again maybe he got lucky and was trying to tank lol

Reply #508621 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Hasn't been to the free throw line much this season. Smart from BB. Having said that wouldn't have thought he'd miss both. Pressure and fatigue can do that to you.
Still back him to be a serviceable backup in this league.

Reply #508635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BB might have been playing mind games with Delly a bit....cause delly might have been thinking why am I getting fouled?

Hope the Cav's situation sorts itself and Kyrie is back soon so Delly is less exposed...be nice if he did shoot it better from deep thou

Reply #508644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... and from shallow

Reply #508662 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

I love Delly and I love my Cavs, but he's getting exposed right now.

I've been defending him so much on social media because you can't not love the guy especially as a coach, I can understand why Blatt and Mike Brown prior both love the guy he's everything you want. But unfortunately its not how the NBA works..

Lots of Cavs media guys are building the pressure and looks like the Cavs are shopping around for point guard depth now...

Delly gets burned by small fast guards and in a Cavs defence this year that has zero rim protection and zero other decent defenders... this becomes magnified. I know its easy to be bias with a guy like delly, but people aren't haters because they state the facts...

But the fact I think isn't correct... its not only that last minute against philly.. ( I actually thought his last minute was good, made a beautiful pass to love for a dunk in the clutch and then made the right decision to attack the rim when Klove was fronted as the help was therefore nullified.. and he got smashed on his way to the rim but never mind)

His general play has been a concern, and has not shot the ball well. He will always hustle and do the dirty work but in the NBA that will never be enough unless you are elite.. see: tony allen

Reply #508676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He cant really play the point in the nba as he lacks the ability to get to the basket and he cant play the two because hes undersized and not a good enough sooter. Will be in europe very soon

Reply #508684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exposed is the perfect description

Reply #508685 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I'm not forgetting what got him there, maybe he isn't a starting player, but he is a genuine strength coming off the bench for an NBA team.

Reply #508688 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It is eternally frustrating when someone has such a visible mechanical flaw in their shot that is holding them back as a player and it goes unfixed year after year.

He's never going to be able to finish at the rim because he couldn't jump over a piece of string, and to be honest I believe finishing is something that can't really be taught, as opposed to shooting which can be fixed.

But he needs to fix that shot or he'll be out of the league in a couple of years if not before.

Reply #508689 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Nah Bear. If you have Delly playing a significant role off the bench then you aren't a contender. Guards that can't shoot, finish, and are too slow to defend PGs are liabilities which get massively exposed in playoff series.

Reply #508691 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Yeah Bear he was a force of the bench last year in a very very bad team

this year he's getting seriously exposed as I said... the comparison is Norris Cole from Lebrons years at heat...

They aren't even close

And thats why cole will be a cav come the offseason

Reply #508705 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This season teams are scouting better and going at him - that's exposing his weakness on defence 1 on 1
Also he was hitting the little floter drive all last season withna lot more confidence
That's totally missing this season
Hopefully he can have a good game tomorrow

Reply #508719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cav's have been trying to hide him on D but teams are really targeting him now and he has been exposed.

On a team with more rim protection & length/better wing defender he'd be easier to hide but he is getting attacked regular...see the Charlotte game as MKG and others were lining up to attack him off the bounce on every catch.

If his 3 ball doesn't get sorted he'll be over in a solid Euro team/league....if he gets the 3 ball sorted he can stick in the league and be a back up for a poor rebuilding team for the next few seasons.

Reply #508752 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:22 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754