kason
Years ago

Is BBL beating NBL?

Big Bash League seems to be going off. Decent attendance good tv rights - almost always on primetime tv all the time. And they are doing it with the NBL/NBA flavor - music pumping, in game entertainment, street apparel etc. Even the team names remind me of bball Heat, Thunder, Sixers.

I remember reading a season or two back that the two Melbourne teams posted a loss of 600k combined but surely things have turned around since then with the big sponsorship and tv rights?

Anyone got any insight into how well BBL is going?

Topic #36200 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

It's smashing the NBL

Reply #508714 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

They had 42,000 in Adelaide last night. That's almost an AFL-sized crowd. It's absolutely killing the NBL.

Actually that 42,000 is also twice the size of what the Port crowd will be when they start losing again and all their bandwagon supporters jump off :)

Reply #508725 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Try again: BBL roughly a million, NBL 50k varies game to game.Leagues apart...

Reply #508727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Melbourne Stars and Renegades made a loss of 600k in 2012 but 2013 the Stars made a profit of $129,401 and the Renegades $260,118.

So it seems they are turning things around helped largely by the broadcasting rights.

Reply #508734 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Family of 4 can sit outside in the fresh air for 4 hours for $40 and catch the tram or train straight in and straight home again in Adelaide.

Reply #508735 | Report this post

JMc  
Years ago

Absolutely destroying the NBL sadly. Rating through the roof and getting great crowds. Scheduling is great with games on every night to keep the interest up.

Reply #508737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be better to ask is the BBL beating the A-League.

Reply #508738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BBL & A-League are on a par...A-League are getting good crowds and Asian Cups/World Cups help generate added interest every couple of years.

BBL is keeping cricket alive to be frank as outside of the boxing day test attendance, Test series outside of an Ashes are very pretty poor.

Reply #508749 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Why would we even contemplate comparing crowd sizes when one sport plays in a 70k - 90k capacity outdoor arena while another plays inside with only 10k -15k crowd capacity?

This is dumb!

Reply #508751 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

BBL is the gem in Cricket Australia's crown at the moment.

Test Match cricket attendances have been down and the ODI have run their race. T20 appeals to the people. Quick, exciting and vibrant. Last season average attendances were 18,778 and this season is 23,166.

The A League will always have a strong following as soccer is so big internationally. The average attendance in 2014/15 for A League so far is 14,295 with Adelaide United averaging 10,813 over the last few seasons.

Reply #508755 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not much of a competition sadly. Games in prime time and live.

Reply #508758 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Correct Isaac. FTA telecasts in prime time are gold.

Reply #508760 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

We went to BBL the other night, as a family. we've never been to NBL as a family. I've taken the kids a couple of times, but that's all.

My kids love the BBL. None of them were interested in cricket before seeing BBL and none play. Even my partner wanted to go. She has no interest in NBL nor basketball generally.

As per above post, price point is good - similar to 36ers' cheap seats for my family to sit in the Silver section at Adelaide Oval. It was easy to get to and from via public transport. NBL is easy to get to and from via car, so that wasn't a differentiator.

I've found the big differentiator for my family is the ease of understanding what's going on. As above, my kids and my partner don't play either game. Only one of my kids has played cricket - Kanga cricket only. None have played basketball. One son did a clinic as a youngster and didn't like it. When they watch NBL with me, they need a lot of explanation about what's happening. With BBL, they haven't needed that.

I watch NFL as well and find they have the same reaction to NFL as NBL. They find it less accessible without guidance and aren't prepared to make the effort to sit down, watch games, listen to commentators and work it out for themselves.

Reply #508762 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

For me the BBL is oversaturated and I'm just not interested. It's in the same ballpark as COPS on One and Big Bang Theory on 9.

Reply #508767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear, regardless of crowd capacities the fact is that 40,000 people decided to go to the cricket in Adelaide the other night.

On a good night 5000-6000 decide to go to the basketball in Adelaide.

What's dumb about it?

Reply #508773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've got a lot of mates who are big time cricket fans but not fans of BBL. They say the BBL is the cheesy kids version of Cricket. Like the slam ball of basketball.

I'd say this isn't the norm but I'd also say there would be few fans out there who stick to the more orthodox forms of cricket.

Reply #508775 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I'm like you Wilson, I've got Big Bash fatigue.

Reply #508779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the BBL. It makes it so easy to follow, knowing that every day there will be a match on. It's also good that its season is so short and condensed, so I find that I don't get tired of it.

Reply #508780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Nothing else on TV at this time of year, either. So if you sit down to chill out of an evening, it's got no competition as far as I'm concerned.

Agree with the points re: saturation, though. I don't care if I don't watch a game, and am more inclined to turn the ordinary ones off as soon as a result is likely.

Reply #508782 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't know what the ratings are, but the T20 must rate pretty well, considering that Ten shows the games 2~3 times each. Live on 1, then later on 10, and if there is no game the following day they repeat again.
Cricket IS our national sport, we are (over time) the best in the world, so it keeps its popularity high, and T20 is the flavour of the moment.

Whilst it is highly entertaining, personally I think its the equivalent to the "Slam Dunk" displays we have at half-time. It's colourful, theatrical, and highly entertaining, but I don't get emotionally involved or connected to a team.

Whilst the support for Cricket and NBL is miles apart, it does raise an interesting point. Since its inception, the BBL has been heavily hyped, marketed, and promoted. Presumably this has done a lot to win back cricket fans, get new ones, and get them to the games.

Also makes me wonder if the NBL needs to do a TV deal with another network? Maybe 9, since 7 has the Tennis.

Reply #508790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BBL ratings vary but are roughly 600 - 800k per game and are always ranked Top 10 for the day. WA numbers are difficult to account for due to time difference and Ten often show games on One, so the actual estimated figure would be higher.

Reply #508796 | Report this post

Matthew  
Years ago

Dazz raises a good point but I differ slightly on where he goes with it.

"Whilst it is highly entertaining, personally I think its the equivalent to the "Slam Dunk" displays we have at half-time. It's colourful, theatrical, and highly entertaining, but I don't get emotionally involved or connected to a team."

Ive actually noticed something different locally in Perth. The Perth Scorchers are starting to get a larger actual membership number. These members are also not neccesarily a WACA member or Western Warriors member etc. They are just scorchers members. Ive no doubt they are being bombarded with email requests from the WACA now for Sheffiled Shield etc games and memberships but the WACA wisely decided not to go dirty and sign people up to anything more than just a Scorchers membership.

People are also weaing Scorchers merchandise around the place. I have been to a few games myself but with only 4 home games Ive also noticed that the actual membership price isnt too bad either.

What also made me sad is that the WACA is now the only ground in Aus used solely for Cricket.. all the other grounds around Australia are now multipurpose.

Thats not to say the WACA dosnt need to be put down though. It does.

Reply #508802 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon#773, when you can arrange to fit 40,000 people into a stadium with only 10,000 seating capacity please let me know, in the mean time I stand by my original post...

Reply #508805 | Report this post

JoeyIsWright  
Years ago

Imagine if channel 10 promoted NBL as strongly as they did the BBL ...

Reply #508806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL game on Sunday has been bumped to One as they're showing a BBL game on 10.

Reply #508809 | Report this post

Good Ol Days  
Years ago

Sadly the NBL is dead.

I used to love watching our bball league.

A couple of factors have contributed to this death.

1.Mismanagement of the league by all concerened.

2.Teams Folding.

3."Attainable" status of being able to play in the NBA for our elite players.

4.Access to League Pass and Euro Leage games.

5.Level of contracts in other over seas leagues, Euro League and China.

NBL as we knew it is dead.

Reply #508817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear, WTF have you been smoking? Your posts are usually pretty informative but this time you are making no sense.

40,000 went to Adelaide Oval to watch BBL. Fact.

Reply #508818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne this Saturday.

1. Big bash

2. United v 36 ers

I know which stadium will be filled.

Reply #508819 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

pregame or halftime game , allow baskettending, 2 balls on the court,mo freethrows or timeouts,sub inplay, 5 or 6 points from halfway 3points for dunks

Reply #508820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL is done. Not sure what happened but it seems BBL and A-League outclassed NBL with management.

You can't blame it on interest of the sport because it's there and T20 and A-League was very low key a few years back.

BBL tapped the followers of Cricket Australia just like A-League tapped the followers of EPL FIFA etc. but NBL just has not been able to tap the huge NBA market.

I have just watched every other code make right choice after right choice while the NBLs biggest move is to allow their most well known team change their name to a soccer team name.

Reply #508834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep Anon totally agree. Plus regarding name change, my son was invited to watch United vs Adelaide this Saturday, we are a Basketball family and non of us actually thought basketball game,we were sending him to a soccer game lol and how sad.

Reply #508836 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

Why does Tim Gossage say this in regard to sporting events -
@Saxyboy17 no mate we will be covering more in the years to come with some exciting prospects.

Reply #508845 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

Tim Gossage via twitter -
@7Scott77 @Jesse_Hogan @paulcochrane can't see any other network jumping out of trees to grab NBL. Take it or leave it champ

Reply #508851 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

Tim Gossage via Twitter -
@landsboroughcc not referring to Big Bash. I suggest it will be staying on Ten for some years to come. Enjoy it.

Reply #508853 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Plus regarding name change, my son was invited to watch United vs Adelaide this Saturday, we are a Basketball family and non of us actually thought basketball game,we were sending him to a soccer game"
And that's the problem right there. A "Basketball Family" but don't follow the NBL or their City's team?
Sadly, I suspect this is a familiar story.

Reply #508863 | Report this post

Shells  
Years ago

The NBL's biggest problem is the crap coverage... Channel 10 agreement does nothing to promote the game and NBL TV - well that is just a waste of money - the quality is terrible for what you pay - most of the time it is so distorted you cant watch it....

Give it back to FOXTEL to show ALL games OR do what netball have done and have SBS cover it! they have done a fantastic job - and look how it has brought netball back....if its not covered well on TV - who knows about it - unless you are a basketball fan!

Reply #508910 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Ha, thanks for the laugh anon, I will just put my pipe down for a minute here and contemplate your attempt at trolling me, cheers...

That is unless you actually have no idea of what I am trying to say, either way I will leave you to your opinions and questionable IQ...

Reply #508916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Dazz you are dead right, we follow and support SEABL and are from Geelong. Take a passing interest in NBL but with great foxtel coverage of the NBA we are having our needs met.Cannot get our heads around United. Always be tigers to us lol

Reply #508921 | Report this post

William  
Years ago

@Shells - netball isn't on SBS at the moment as there is no TV deal in place for the ANZ Champs and Netball Test Series. The SBS and Foxtel deal was only 2 years which expired last year. However, Ten and Foxtel have the rights to the Netball World Cup this year.

There is talk that sports like WNBL, W League and Shute Shield will end up on commercial FTA (maybe 10)

Reply #508946 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:24 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754