Tornado
Years ago

Cavs to acquire Timofey Mozgov

Nuggets will receive 2 first round draft picks.

Lebron trying to buy more championships?

Topic #36204 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 first rounders seems a high price to pay for him...they need rim protection but very high price!

Reply #508747 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spotted on Twitter:

Keep in mind w/ the seeming king's ransom of two 1st Rds for Timofey: Price pales in comparison of Love walking because CLE didn't contend

Seems like Blatt really wanted Mozgov. If it's a high price, you'd assume they were keen to prove and keep Blatt?

Reply #508748 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

No need to hold onto draft picks when you're trying to buy a championship I guess?!

Reply #508750 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

2 protected first rounders isn't that high of a price...

assets are assets they aren't guaranteed proven players..

when your a championship competing team like the cavs are assets are exactly that, and need to be used like that have this week. dion and some assets for mozgov shumpert (both defensively help) and JR who just replaces Dion anyway..

massive week for cavs and the land of the NBA, cavs have so much more balance now... Would be nice if everyone was healthy though ... imagine

Kyrie/Delly
Shump*/JR/Mike Miller/Joe Harris
Lebron*/Marion/James Jones
Love/Thompson
Mozgov/Varejo**/Haywood

Mind you Haywoods contract is still an asset in itself.

Expect a Ray Allen signing soon with the empty roster spot.
But also expect them to go after potentially some PG depth, i think confidence in delly is dwindling
OKafor, Dalembert and Jermaine O'neal all options too.

Beware East, Beware League

Reply #508754 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I like Mozgov, and he is a nice addition that fills a need, but the Cavs have been fleeced. Although if they're any chance of winning a title this season, they couldn't afford to wait for better offers: better to assimilate Mozgov and attempt to right the ship early.

Thompson / Mozgov
Love / Marion
LeBron / Miller
Shumpert / Smith / Harris
Irving / Delly

That's a bloody talented 11-man rotation, plus Varejao (such a shame he's injured).

Reply #508757 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Jacob, first round picks are incredibly valuable assets - even at the tail end.

It will be interesting to see how the Cavs utilize Haywood's non-guaranteed contract.

Reply #508759 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I cant wait till Lebron is out of the league...he is a joke I reckon.

Reply #508761 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Looks like Ray Allen won't be joining the Cavs now.

Reply #508764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need PG depth. Expect them to make moves to fill the back up spot with a more experienced guy due to Kyrie injury history and not wanting to have Delly as the only viable back up

Reply #508768 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The thing that everyone forgets to mention is that David Blatt has no clue on the defensive end. So even if they get the right personnel, which they dont have they, will never figure it out. They better hope this offense is historically amazing or else its a first round exit.

Mozgov helps, but look at the rest of the roster. You have one plus defender in Shump, and even he is overrated on that end. Lebron hasnt played defense for about 18 months now and it doesnt look like he's going to start up again any time soon.

Reply #508771 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I am a bit worried that Delly will be waived

Reply #508774 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Delly is a walking/talking playbook. They'd be insane to waive him whilst integrating new guards unless they have a much better option they can sign. (Who? they are running out of assets and movable pieces)

Especially with Price being waived, I'm not worried at all.

Reply #508776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tornado could you be any more butthurt? Trades happen everyday mate. Look at your most beloved teams even they have made trades to 'buy' a championship believe it or not.

Reply #508783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cav's would most likely look for an experienced back up option at PG to run the team behind Kyrie and maybe even keep Delly (Hopefully)

Reply #508784 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon 508783...sorry for not conforming to your ideologies and having my own opinions.

I know teams have done it in the past and I haven't agreed or liked those teams either.

I dont mind teams trading for a missing link if they are close to contention and just require that extra skill from a player that they may be lacking but Lebron just keeps trying to buy championships wherever he goes, it's boring, weak and tarnishes his reputation as a player IMO. Tell me any other teams not named Miami or Cleveland who have made such drastic chnages to their rosters to compete?

Lastly, I apologise for having more respect for teams like the Spurs who win Championships the old fashioned way!

Reply #508786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh Tornado you are embarrassing yourself mate. Every team trades and signs free agents to 'buy' a championship as you say.

Reply #508788 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Exactly...and even with these additions this team is weak. It's not like he's put together a team full of proven vet stars with a massive payroll.

Reply #508792 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon...tell me what major moves the Spurs made last year to get them their championship?

Reply #508793 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Mick...cos he hasn't done that before has he?

Reply #508794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spurs tanked when Robinson went down injured to get Duncan!

Also pretty much every team at some stage has trade in guys to fit and help put them over the top.

i.e Chicago signing Gasol this year.

Reply #508798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't houstons starting lineup newly acquired in last couple of seasons? Dallas? Every other team?

Is it not buying championships if you are trading for picks instead of players?

Reply #508807 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Everything associated with LeBron appears to be magnified!

Reply #508808 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Tanking and buying are 2 different things. Tanking will only get you 1 player usually and that player would be a rookie, so whilst promising, still unproven in the big league. Buying brings in proven players.

Chicago bringing in 1 player of some sort of note isn't even on the same scale of Lebrons Miami & Cleveland teams.

Reply #508813 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Houston and Harden/Howard are a joke as well.

Draft picks are unproven so more risk than bringing in proven players.

Reply #508814 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Remember when Boston traded for Ray Allen and then traded for Kevin Garnett less than a month later.

Reply #508815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakers bought their championships with Shaq and co! Boston bought their championships with Garnett and Allen and co. And so on and so on.

Congrats to the Spurs for being the only team to never cheat by trading for starters in the history of the NBA.

Reply #508830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man Cavs fans are getting painful. Delly had a solid game today and the hate continues over at r/clevelandcavs. And once again he had the best plus minus for the team

Reply #508865 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

uhh playmakerMO did you see the protections on those first rounders? not very valuable at all, and regardless none would fall before pick 20/25.. so no they aren't valuable when addressing a need as big as this.. also playmakerMO haywoods contract will probably expire then that money will be used to cover mozgov and smiths contracts next year plus matching offers on shump.

Major kudos to david griffin, showing exactly how to GM, we have bright future and penny of picks still.

And ray allen is even more likely now with spare roster spot...

Delly isn't going to get waived but the cavs are looking for pg depth, which might see him bumped from the rotation which wouldn't be the worst thing. he's getting extremely exposed right now, but he's too good a guy to not have around

Reply #508866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spurs are a bunch of crap draft picks plus Duncan. They drafted some very good overseas players with very low draft picks. Cleveland have had heaps of high drafts picks.

Reply #508878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spurs fans are the worst. Tired of hearing how they are superior to every other team because some of their low draft picks turned out to be better than what they were selected as.

Reply #508915 | Report this post

bender  
Years ago

Just had a look at nba champs and apart from 1st rockets championship every team has made significant trade to win it apart from spurs. Then the next year they brought in Drexler. But how different would it have been if the spurs didn't "win" the lottery and gotten for example Keith van horn? Even Popovich knows how lucky he is.

Reply #508947 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'm not a Spurs fan.

Reply #508972 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Bender...are we talking 1 player change or half the team like Lebrons teams? What do you call significant?

Reply #508973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bigger issue is Kyrie/Lebron/Love as a mix isn't working well.

Kyrie needs the ball in his hands to score & he isn't a good enough passer to make others better.

Love isn't being used enough accept in post up situations but him and LBJ in the PnR/P can cause problems/mismatches.

LBJ hasn't really found his rhythm in the sets yet either as he is the sometimes PG...but problem is when he isn't the PG him and Love never see the ball as Kyrie isn't looking to get other involved.

Reply #508979 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

huh the cavs, when all 3 guys have played are like 18-11, i reckon they're working alright for 30 games into a long tenure together

Reply #508996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah people said the same about Wade, Bosh and LBJ when they first got together

Reply #509026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah more than one more change in most teams if you look into it Tornado. I'll use Boston as an example in their big 3 era:

In the first stint they acquired: Garnett, Allen, Rasheed Wallace, Daniels

Then went on to 'cheat' more by signing Shaq, Jermaine O'Neal, Erden, West

plus many more minor signings to create depth on bench.

But its LBJ so of course everything gets magnified.

Reply #509027 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754