Dazz
Years ago

R14: Cairns Taipans v Perth Wildcats

Big Game, Massive Game.
Both teams fighting to stay in touch with The Breakers.
These teams have only played once, and will meet three times in the next month. Those games will have a lot to say about the finals.
Naturally I want the Cats to win, but whichever way it goes I'm hoping that one team wins all 3 games cos that's the only way one of them will be able to challenge for the Minor Premiership and home-court finals advantage.

Perth are coming off a lazy 9-day break, Cairns off 6.
Hire should be back. It will be a great game.

Topic #36206 | Report this topic

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Still home court for second team.

Reply #508799 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I think Dazz is referring to home court advantage for the GF. 2nd team would only get that if 1st placed team is knocked out in the semi finals.

Reply #508816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hire should be back"
Based on what?
I heard he is not playing this one

Reply #508823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight to miss up to eight weeks with a broken toe.

Reply #508846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good thing that all those people already handed perth the trophy or else they'd be pretty worried at this point

Reply #508849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know anyone that has ever had Perth unbackable favourites this season.

Reply #508852 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Still home court for second team."
Not in the final.
If NZ win the Minor Premiership, might as well cancel the finals and just give them the Pennant. LOL

""Hire should be back"
Based on what?
I heard he is not playing this one"
Yeah, "should" being the operative word.
Two weeks ago he was supposedly ready to resume, now he's back to "1~2 weeks."
Cats are probably starting to wish they'd signed somebody beside Muo as injury replacement.

Reply #508859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns 2-1 over NZ this season so far so even if NZ finished first and met Cairns in finals, I wouldn't say it would be a sure thing. Cairns match up very well on NZ.

Reply #508861 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Knight to miss up to eight weeks with a broken toe"
Big loss on the eve of an important game. Jervis will step up, but Perth need another scoring option.
Really going to be hard to cover Knight's output.

Reply #508862 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

really unsure why its not telecast on OneHD. the Sydney v Townsville game is, and its not even an interesting game in theory. perth v cairns is given its 2nd and 3rd. nbl governance over OneHD is crap

Reply #508876 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Really hoping Nathan Sobey (replacing injured Maynard) will get some minutes tonight. He was impressive when making up the numbers for the Taipans in the preseason games against Melbourne, and no surprise they took the opportunity to have him under contract.

Reply #508963 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

After winning the Reptile Rumble last week, Cairns comes into tonight's game looking to edge closer to second spot on the ladder. For the away side, Jermaine Beal continues to be a consistent scoring threat, ready to explode at any moments notice.

This is a tale of 2 very different teams, Perth lives and dies by it’s guard play and the brilliance of Daniels. Whilst, Cairns get most of its contributions from it’s strong interior work and their talented big men. Tonight’s game comes down to which team can get stops when it matters and who controls the half court game.

Preview: Snakes host 'Cats in potential Semi Final match-up

Perth by 5 is my prediction.

Reply #508993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth trailing by 16 in the 2nd.

Reply #509024 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

goodnight perth. woohoo

Reply #509029 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Fearne showing his true colours and lack of class. Beal clearly with cramp after foul and he bitches to refs. Well done fearne, not

Reply #509033 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Cairns up 14 23 seconds to go and fearne calls timeout, another classy call

Reply #509034 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Another injury cursed season for the cats. NZ would have to be favourites and cairns would fancy their chances against the breakers. Title race is wide open

Reply #509035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've got no problem with the timeout but complaining about Beal's injury was poor sportsmanship.

Reply #509037 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I was more annoyed at fearne letting Perth get a 5 point lead in the third before calling a timeout. That and letting Loughton play so much when he makes such poor decisions.

Reply #509048 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Anyone else who saw the game wondering how there was no foul call on Martyn after he clean blocked Wilbekin but then landed on his head?

Reply #509057 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That attitude by Fearne was appalling. He really is classless. I struggle to find anything to like about him.

Reply #509058 | Report this post

nortbet  
Years ago

I agree with comments made about ferne. Beal was clearly injured with cramp and in pain and Fearne complains to officals as if too say who cares lets continue playing. Poor form by Fearne and not a good look for a head coach.

Reply #509059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perths loss is good news for Adelaide fans it gives them something to take their mind off their own crap season

Reply #509060 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Several injuries now for Perth. Will be a very tough few weeks for them with a depleted roster.

Reply #509061 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Obviously a bit of "bad luck" there for the Cats, but it does raise questions about their roster management and contingency planning.
It's weird, they did well in the off-season, and some would say pulled a couple of rabbits. Then Hire gets injured, and contingency planning seems to have flown out the window?
Hire was only supposed to be sidelined for 6 weeks, so clearly they figured no big deal, Muo's still hanging around so we'll let him fill a chair on the bench. That decision has basically seen them playing with a 4-man bench for 12 weeks, and tonight it really bit them in the ass.

Jervis is more than capable of stepping up for Knight, and this game could still have gone either way. Nobody could have predicted the rotten confluence of events; Knight out on the eve, Ross rupturing his achilles, Redhage getting limited impact, Beal getting cramp, and U'U being unable to find the basket. However the shallow bench was exposed.

Reply #509065 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Depleted by injury, the Perth Wildcats were simply outclassed by the Cairns Taipans on Friday night as the defending NBL champions have surrendered their second placing on the NBL ladder after Cairns defeated the 'Cats 91-76 inside the Cairns Convention Centre.

Cairns snatch second spot with win over injury riddled ‘Cats

Reply #509071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

swaggggggggggggyyyyyy B

Reply #509075 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

WTF with the Fearne classless bullshit....dickheads!

I was at the game and the whole thing went on far too long, get the player off the fucking court and let the game go on.

to many times we see these situations(real or not) used as ploys to take momentum etc out of game/crowd!!

get the player off the fucking court and let the game commence....who ever the player is....and what ever the team !!

Reply #509108 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

Skull,like your coach, classless. If a player is injured, you just don't take them off the court because the opposition coach shows now class, its all about duty of care. You could clearly see he was cramping in his upper thigh, he was under the basket, he couldn't go anywhere if you had a cramp in the middle of the aisle at the game, you try moving out of the aisle whilst having a cramp.

Reply #509109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just watching the replay.

I hate to bring it up because afterall it involves the Wildcats. Do they major in roughhouse plays off the ball or what? Jervis, Wagstaff with the leans into moving players off the ball during screens.

I am sure all teams do it but it seems very blatant in this game with the refs missing a lot of the niggling plays. Do they need to do this so much with a talented roster? Win by skills not by stealth, I say. Makes it hard to defend them when they like to sneak in underhanded moves. Or is that the way to win championships?

Don't flame me, just an observation ... like the Fearnie observation that I agree with too.

Reply #509110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said LC and skull.

Perth fans don't deal well with adversity or losing.... always someone or something else to blame.

As far as I am concerned it (bad luck) couldn't happen to a more deserving and arrogant team.

Talk about a coach lacking in class and sportsmanship, look no further then the one and only Trevor Gleeson.

He just gives me one more reason to despise the Wildcats.

Reply #509111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching further into the replay, add to the list on Taipans side, Loughton with some overenthusiastic illegal moves.

Reply #509112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom King & Matt Smith are a good commentary team.

Reply #509114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best commentary team in the League.

Reply #509115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the way Fearne reacted was ok because Gleeson? Ok then...

skull, when was the last time you saw this ploy used as a momentum killer? Do you really think it was in Beal's best interest to slow himself down when the game was still in the balance?

Reply #509128 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Perth fans don't deal well with adversity or losing.... always someone or something else to blame.

As far as I am concerned it (bad luck) couldn't happen to a more deserving and arrogant team."

Oh gees, would you like fish with those chips?

Reply #509159 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

@wildcats80, firstly Fearne is not my coach...
secondly,people like you are one of the reasons why Perth are becoming alienated from the rest of the league(plus their success;0 & $)

@anon dickhead,im pretty sure that Beal had a cramp....trying to slow himself down,huh,WTF?? did the coaching staff see an opportunity to slow things down & lose crowd momentum...absolutely !!

Reply #509163 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"people like you are one of the reasons why Perth are becoming alienated from the rest of the league(plus their success;0 & $)"

People like this are the reason Melbourne can only get a few thousand to their games despite representing the biggest basketball city in the country. Because they would rather resent United's (Tigers') success, and whinge that the team they supported 30 years ago is nolonger in the league, instead of getting out and supporting the team they do have.

And here's the rub: The Wildcats have a 14,000+ seat venue, 9000+ members, and can sell another 3000+ tickets to most games. They are rolling in the money and will continue to be consistently above average UNTIL the rest of the league catches up (or at least gets to a decent sustainable standard of support.) Otherwise those teams will continue to struggle from season to season, with good seasons followed by long droughts when they can barely afford to keep the lights on.
People need to spend less time complaining about the Cats, and more time getting out and supporting their own teams.

Reply #509169 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

@Dazz, I love what the wildcats have done, they are the envy and hope of all the other clubs.
Along the way, milking that old West Australian"us against them thing" beautifully.

Reply #509170 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Being at the game and watching it first hand - I didn't think much about Fearne asking why the player wasn't moved off the court for treatment. The issue Fearne had (from the coaches mouth) was that the player was in obvious distress and needed to get off the court for treatment and not be treated on the court. If he had a more serious injury then get the medics/stretcher etc out. But not have everyone come on and delay the game at a key momentum point, because medical staff were treating what is a minor issue (a cramp)on court when he should be moved to the sideline where he can get proper attention to return ASAP. Fact of the matter is that once Fearne complained why the game was being held up when Beal needed work off court and not on it (if your injured you get subbed out, not treated while the game waits for you), he got up and walked gingerly off court to the change rooms and returned a few minutes after. So call Fearne classless for pointing out a basketball rule regarding treating injured players - lets not point out the fact Beal rolled around like he did an ACL then walked off and came back on 5 min later - cause anyone could conclude that he was either faking (not likely he was hurting bad and you could see his leg spasm), over exagerrating to get a foul and or the wildcats staff dragging out treatment as a pseudo timeout/breather with the snakes having the momentum. Him walking off after complaining then coming back on minutes later would support that. Now if pointing out a FIBA rule regarding injured players is classless - what the hell is screaming like a stuffed pig over a cramp, delaying the game and then coming back minutes later as if nothing had happened ???

When Trigger at last New Years game rolled his ankle on Dmart's foot. The medical team came over, assessed and got him off the court and subbed him out faster than Beal rolling around for a cramp. He was out for the rest of the season. So which player and medical team has more class then ?

Get off the anti-perth shit - it gets boring. Loughton gave as good as he got - wagstaff sets hard screens and so does Jervis. All players push the limits as its what they get paid to do. Sometimes you get away with it, sometimes you dont. Redhage tries his crap all the time and he got 2 dodgy calls because he shits in his own nest. Its not a perth thing, its a redhage thing.

Perth are and will be for a long time, the premier pro basketball team in Australia. They know their shit and share their learnings to make the league better. No perth, no league - simple.

Reply #509173 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Then everyone get of the anti Perth shit in the way they play! Really, we had no Knight, no hire and Ross, redhage didn't play really and they came back from 16 down, Perth showed heart and those calls if we played at home the fame was ours, cairns couldn't dominated a half Perth team at home and u think u got a chance against nz?

Reply #509228 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Game

Reply #509229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are 2-1 over NZ this season so far cats 4 life.

Reply #509243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@cats4life #509228

If one watches the game for pure entertainment and from a nonpartisan viewpoint (you can still wear your club's colours on your sleeve), one can see at lot of off the ball action apart from following the spalding. Brilliant legit off the ball moves, boxing outs etc as well as sneaky nudges, lean ins, wrap arounds and flops.

Call outs of offenders happen often and serial offenders just get to the top of the list quicker. Not really an antiPerth observation but "anti rules" observation. Just because the other side does it is never a legit reason to lay it on as well.

@Venom #509173
Hard screens are fine when they are legit. When they are not and getting rewarded by refs missing the plays, it takes the gloss over any victory (or in this case loss)

Reply #509250 | Report this post

King Podge  
Years ago

Venom: from my mind to your keyboard. Well said.

Reply #509335 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:37 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754