Anonymous
Years ago

ACJBC 2015 Discussion

Use this thread to discuss results, teams/players to watch and anything interesting from the 2015 ACJBC in Albury beginning Monday 12 January.

Anyone have some predictions?

Topic #36210 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is ACJBC ?

Reply #508927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian Country Junior Basketball Cup

Reply #508929 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

AKA AJCBC

Reply #509009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, can you rename this to read Aus Junior Country Cup or something please?

Reply #509010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2015 Country Cup would do nicely.

Reply #509011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Used to be a really good junior tournament, but has progressed into a second rate 'fun' tournament these days! States don't send there best possible teams leading to one sided results! A long way to go for a fun based carnival if you asked me!

Reply #509025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Un16 and un18s hasn't changed just the un14 group , which now send their stronger players to southern cross challenge yo pit them up against metro teams from Vic, so the development teams come to albury, but they still play the other states just like before. So saying it's second rate is total rubbish, you obviously do not know how it works, if you judge a tournament by the strength of it's un14 players you don't watch a lot of basketball

Reply #509068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ YES

Reply #509073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very true! SAC have in fact sent their second best under 15 teams in the girls and boys with the best 4-5 players going to country cup with the U16 teams instead of going to Knox.
I would say the 16's will be full on!!

Reply #509078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt the U16's will be full on! Quite the opposite really!! SAC u16 girls played each other in the GF last year so if you add the best bottom age players into those two teams (last year the best bottom age kids went to Melbourne) then you would expect even greater winning margins for SAC which highlights the continuing fact that the level of competition is second rate!! When you play in last years tournament and your best competition comes from your own state when your not even sending your full strength teams (minus bottom age players) that just strengthens my statement!

Reply #509080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About to leave now. Son in Vic Country U18s. Vic Country Teams are pretty even this year which will be interesting as in pool 2 there is only 4 Teams and 1 is the home town Gators Team. Not sure what to expect. I will try and give non-biased parent reports. So before the tolls start , yes I am a parent.

Reply #509081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My bad, home team is Albury/Wodonga Wolves

Reply #509100 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

To say that "States don't send there best possible teams" is total rubbish. The under 18 NSW Country Men have 12 boys broken up into their 2 teams who have come away with either gold medals in under 16 Nationals in 2013 & 2014 and a silver medal from the under 18s in 2014. There are also 3 of these boys off to the ADC camp and the end of this week. Next week the NSW Country team will have a squad named of 15 that will be cut down to the final team after one more trial on the 30th of January.
These boys are very much fighting for a position in this state team. Should be a great week of basketball and I for one can't wait to watch some of these talented players.

Reply #509101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #509080
re: ACJBC 2015 Discussion
Doubt the U16's will be full on! Quite the opposite really!! SAC u16 girls played each other in the GF last year so if you add the best bottom age players into those two teams (last year the best bottom age kids went to Melbourne) then you would expect even greater winning margins for SAC which highlights the continuing fact that the level of competition is second rate!! When you play in last years tournament and your best competition comes from your own state when your not even sending your full strength teams (minus bottom age players) that just strengthens my statement!

Might want to re read your statement, those top age girls will now be in the un18 age group, bottom age will have a whole new group with possibly those who went to Melbourne joining, they didn't win down there did they !!! Seriously you really don't get basketball at all do you lol

Reply #509124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

14's will be ordinary! Unfortunately this is now like a "jamboree" type comp. Don't get me wrong, great for the kids but hardly a state tour team event.

Really interesting that SA seems to have gone against the grain selecting their best U15's to go to Albury and sending the leftovers to the SCC.
Given this the SA Country teams will be way out of their depth against the Vic Country and Metro teams, perhaps just below ACT teams.

Reply #509139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It should be like a jamboree your talking about 11and12yr old children, they are not yet elite athletes they are kids hopefully still having fun, take the fun part away and kids give up, they have to learn to love the game first.

Reply #509240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep it's official, Vic Country no longer take this event seriously! Sad day to be a Victorian, once kings of the cup.
RIP VC

Reply #509355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are dead right! After watching today's games I think the only state that takes it serious anymore is SAC! NSW and VIC have worked it out that the best comp to send their u15 and u14 atheltes is in Melbourne! If the states main goal that are participating is to provide their atheltes the best possible developemnt tournament then Albury is sadly not it anymore!

Reply #509382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic country 16 and 18 girls certainly looked serious today !

Reply #509383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coaches clinic last night was average and the coaches get together was appalling tonight.

Reply #509406 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

382 you have no clue what NSW country is doing or where there best players are competing. Nor do you have any clue what SAC are doing so just carry on bagging Albury if that's what does it for you . All these tourneys are for player development and little else matters to most involved .

Reply #509408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously those commenting on the un14s are new parents , wait till your kids get to top age 16s and 18s then it gets more serious. Your all complaining about 12 and 13 yr old CHILDRENwho are still years off being elite athletes if they ever get there. Let your children BE children and develop their talent if they have it. They should be playing for themselves and their teams NOT you. The 16 and 18 comps are exactly how they have always been strong and competitive.

Reply #509410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed that NSW and SA are fair dinkum it's just sad that Vic send Thor third and fourth best teams. They need to get rid of the Albury Woodonga teams, this is a waste of time! Perhaps do the unthinkable and invite select metro teams to beef up the competition?

Reply #509436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victoria do not send their third and fourth best teams in un16 andun18 only un14 and that is because the stronger teams in un14 go to southern cross challenge to play METRO teams so what would be the point in that. Their is a lot more to Albury than un14s in fact un14s has never been the main comp age at Albury as this age group is never up for any further selection for nationals where as un16 and 18 are being looked at for state consideration.

Reply #509438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and that is the problem with this tournament. It was once a development tournament and a way for players to experience being away from mum and dad.

Fortunately U14s is still that.

Unfortunately the U16s is now a watch and see for who to invite for State selection and the U18s has become all about State selection. What then happens in this age group is selfish, need to stand out play. Where passing the ball to who you know and shooting the 3 is the name of the game.

Reply #509445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's always been a selection process for the un16 and un18, un14 don't have a nationals where individuals are chosen it's picked by teams from associations, so what your saying is rubbish. Of course the strongest are going to go to albury it's a selection process from the get go, and of course they are going to choose players who play well, but not just the ones who score, it's the ones who play well as a team. It's also those who behave when away in a group , and the ones who also get on with others, their are many sides to selection, unfortunately parents only see their own child, not where they would fit in a team or what position their child would fill in a team, they can't take 10 centres or 10 point guards.

Reply #509459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry but you are wrong as far as BVC concerned. Up until 2 years ago 30 boys and 30 girls attended a 3 day camp for U16 state selection. normally 20 top age and 10 bottom age. my son attended last camp in Ballarat 3 years ago.

His bottom age U18 year, 2 years ago he also had to attend Tryouts over a weekend after Country Champs held in February. Albury was just a Development Tournament.

Reply #509489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry but your wrong, my kids have been right through Vic country program, and in all those years it was always like that, we have had 11 yrs consecutive years at albury in every single age group, done jamborees, regional skill days golden nugget camps, IAP NITP , albury and Port Macquarie selections ,state selections. Everything is part of the selection process., this is only the second year we haven't been but have friends there and it's still the same.

Reply #509495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Albury is part of the process.
Last year and this year U18 age group is the only way to be selected. This is new.

Reply #509496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it's been that way for a while, since they stopped going to port as that was also part of selection for un18, but then they would reselect after they all got back , but for years they have let the kids know after albury without any other camp for further selection in un18s, 16s have always had another camp before final selection though.

Reply #509500 | Report this post

Charon34  
Years ago

Must not be a high priority for the Basketball NSW coaching department as Mark, Sam and Robbie are not even there watching.

Reply #509525 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

SA uses the 20 as it's Nationals squad - 16's & 18's.

Reply #509531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark, Sam and Robbie have nothing to do with Country Basketball.

Coaches of NSW Country U18s and U16s (men and women) are all here watching players for possible selection in State teams (a couple of which are announced in the next 2 weeks). I think BNSW take it seriously enough to use it as a selection trial

Reply #509545 | Report this post

Juno 95  
Years ago

Mark, Sam and Robbie have nothing to do with country basketball? #545

I think you are mistaken. I know for a fact that Mak and Sam are heavily involved in country and they even want to be more involved however some country people dont want there help. Pretty ignorant if you ask me considering they introduce a system from under 13 all star which inccorporates metro and country athletes then continue that on through all their other development program and Nitp. So to say they have nothing to do with country basketball is pretty poor.

The results show that at nationals what the Basketball NSW coaching department implements is obviously working.

Reply #509604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the above mentioned are NSW Metro coaches and NSW Country are using this for state team selection then the metro coaches would have absolutely NOTHING to do with selection, they are rivals when it comes to nationals.

Reply #509630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ exactly

Reply #509639 | Report this post

Nix 37  
Years ago

Then above mentioned are not NSW Metro coaches! They work for NSW so they coach both metro and country.

If these coaches who work for BNSW are what you call 'NSW Metro' coaches then why would they have the last day in the state team selections?

Seems to be like the system works. Just bitter country people plus bitter metro people who don't believe that working together is what's best for this state

Reply #509644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Gruggen - 2015 U18 NSW Metro Men's Head Coach

Seems to me like he is what you'd call a 'Metro Coach'

Reply #509647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummm Nix - Sam IS the U/18 men NSW Metro head coach. Pretty sure this means he will not/cannot have any input into NSW Country!!

Surely it's not too hard to work out hey Nix??

Reply #509648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And no, not bitter at all. The system is working great. Look at NSW Nationals results the past 2 years (particularly country). Just defending Mark, Sam and Robbie's absence from the cup this week

Reply #509650 | Report this post

Granymede 81  
Years ago

The bnsw coaching department are not responsible for the success of country in recent years. Mark and Sam seem to only care about the Metro athletes

Reply #509661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #509650
re: ACJBC 2015 Discussion
And no, not bitter at all. The system is working great. Look at NSW Nationals results the past 2 years (particularly country). Just defending Mark, Sam and Robbie's absence from the cup this week

Yeah I agree...but people do forget the 3 golds in a row by Mark Watkins who coached Metro, the gold medal by Sam who coached metro and the gold medal by u18 metro girls. Im not saying metro is better I am saying the system works. There are always going to be up and down years within both Metro and Country however what the coaching department is doing is obviously working with great success. They do not coach metro by choice! They HAVE to coach metro because they live in the metropolitan area. They are not allowed to coach country which is a stupid rule by bnsw!

So Granymede 81 you are either living under a rock or your not very bright if you think what Mark, Sam and Robbie are doing with all the other network coaches is not helping country or metro for that matter.

Reply #509669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Scott Balsar?

Reply #509680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had a falling out with some players in NSW Country Basketball so he no longer has anything to do with the tour. Sad really but I guess stuff happens

Reply #509710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And by players I meant top officials/administrators not basketball players themselves

Reply #509717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scotty Balsar gone!!! What are NSW bball doing???
Is it just me or has there been too many quality experienced coaches across all states leave full time paid roles in junior basketball lately.
What's more disappointing is the common trend that basketball administrators who have no idea about basketball are forcing these people out of the game! When in most cases these 'basketball administrators' are only in their job short term and as a stepping stone to something better and don't really care about the game.
In the meantime driving passionate 'basketball people' out of the game!
Sadly as a parent it's our kids that suffer from this!!

Reply #509760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have an administrator that is a wiz on Facebook! Not much good at anything else, but great at posting photos.

Reply #509762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All over for another year, great weather with mid 20's in stead of 40's, got to love that.

Well done to all the kids, parents, coaches and officials (organisers & referees).

Some age groups were a bit, 'what if' with kids rested because of ADC commitments, but nothing can be done about this I guess.

Tournament is still okay, but over zealous supervisors taking the 'no tripods' rule too far need to pull their heads in a bit and understand parents are not the enemy!

Tasmania needs to get back into all age groups and for god's sake develop a green uniform not that disgusting lemon that clashes with gold of Vic.

The Kiwi's had some strong showing this year and will be a massive dark horse at U/18 Nationals I predict.

Closing ceremony was once again far too long, this is the most hated part of the event by all concerned every year, once again probably can't do anything :(

Rain! Well this was a new one and caused some game shifts due to wet courts, maybe the two stadiums can get the roofs fixed before next year (doubt it)!?

Food and drink canteen on final day is not enough, maybe someone would like to do a sausage sizzle outside for a few hours to raise some $$$ for their club and reduce very long queues?

Rating 6.5/10

Reply #510139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ parent who attended.
How was the basketball ?

Reply #510176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were some massive margins in some of the games, that can't be good for the development. Are some groups that far off the pace?

Reply #510240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the same as any other tournament, you will always have a few teams that really struggle. Albury and Wodonga put teams in from the local domestic sides to make up even numbers, they always get smashed unfortunately. Bit like NT teams at nationals. Does not deter development at all.

Reply #510257 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Different age groups had different levels of talent on show, like Vic C who had many talented kids in the under 14-15 age group at Southern Cross also, so the pool of kids is spread out a bit.

That accounts for some reason scores can blow out, I watched under 18 boys mostly and other than the locals (Albury/Wodonga team), most results were tight. Even a 20 point margin in a game between two sides was much closer in the finals and there were plenty of surprises.

I thought overall the basketball was pretty good and yes, there were some blow outs, but that happens every year, no different this year than other years really...

Reply #510275 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:02 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754