Isaac
Years ago

36ers negotiating with BJ Anthony replacement

Sixers general manager Dean Parker said the club was negotiating with a foreign-based player but confirmed he would not be in uniform before the end of this round.
Parker would not elaborate on the player's identity beyond saying he was a "big", logical considering Anthony is a forward.
Back-up plan is Montreal who has already played five games for Adelaide and could qualify for finals with two more games.

Full article

Topic #36255 | Report this topic

Dave  
Years ago

Pretty solid idea when you think about it. If we win the next two, maybe even split, pull the trigger on the import. If not bring in DQ cheap for an extra body...

Reply #509790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm actually a bit disappointed. I mean I know it was going to be hard to find somebody to suit up this weekend, especially as the week dragged on, but this is the biggest round of their season and I would have liked to had the player at least for the Sunday game. Anyway, I do agree Dave that since we can't bring them in straight away, that's a good plan.

Reply #509792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah sorry Montreal you aren't good enough and we will now try and bring you back. Pathetic. One of Joey's hand picked recruiting coups too that everyone seems to have conveniently forgotten.

Reply #509794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I havent, Joey has failed big time with this seasons recruitng. But its been forgotten because he was able to turn DQ into Motum. Wilson on the other hand, screwed the pooch with that one.

6ers have a solid idea on the go so have some patience with this one.

Reply #509797 | Report this post

Sardonic  
Years ago

I havn't either, sixers had to produce a miracle against Melbourne in fourth spot for management to get the ball rolling and it seems they might want further miracles against higher placed sides before they continue.

Everyone who believes in miracles better clap their hands.

Courtside on Sunday please!!!!

Reply #509804 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"I'm actually a bit disappointed. I mean I know it was going to be hard to find somebody to suit up this weekend, especially as the week dragged on, but this is the biggest round of their season and I would have liked to had the player at least for the Sunday game."

The Sixers made the right move. Just say we brought in an import for this weekend and Melbourne win both games (Yes it is against the top 2 teams but anything is possible) then the owners just wasted a good amount of money. Also that import might disrupt the team like Motum did when he first came in.

"Yeah sorry Montreal you aren't good enough and we will now try and bring you back. Pathetic."

It wasn't a case of Montreal not being good enough but rather we had the chance at an elite player. Most teams would have dropped their imports for Motum.

Reply #509807 | Report this post

Rez04  
Years ago

Well said King James. Good to see someone making some sense on here

Reply #509812 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Kudos King James.

Joeys hands were somewhat tied with recruiting this year. Hard to pick a top level import with what he had to work with.

Lets not forget Gibbo's pay is being backloaded this season.

Reply #509817 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^KingJames +1

Reply #509822 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Also need to remember that we started the season, presumably with the full salary cap spent or close to. Then we cut our cheap import and brought in a Boomer who was in the NBA the week before. And we've just lost our 8th or 9th man on the roster. You wouldn't expect we'd have much money to play with.
There wouldn't be a huge amount of incentive for an import to jump on a plane to the other side of the world for BJ Anthony money. Especially if the type of player we're after is going to be a difference maker.
We're also effectively 3 games out of the playoffs, bringing in a player for the sake of bringing in a player is a bit useless at this point. We need the right player, and we don't hold very many cards trying to get that player. It's not like we'd planned for BJ to get injured and had options ready to go.

Reply #509823 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Hendo...lets not forget Motum is playing for Montreal money this season with the rest to come next season.

I think if you are a professional ball club, coach etc you would always stay in touch with certain players (like DJ for example) just to keep those ties, see how they are going, what they are thinking short term and long term...its how we got Brock - Joey had been in touch with him for years, its not like once he became available he started contacting him.

Reply #509826 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Yeah, for Aussies and previous imports.
But DJ and the like would be already here playing if they were available. Or we'd have to very lucky that the timing just fit.
For new imports, it kind of has to be right place at right time. Especially 2/3 through the season when we've just had an unforeseen injury to one of our back-up bench players. To find a difference maker at this time of year, with 1-2 weeks notice, who will play for BJ Anthony money, that's a lot of variables to be met. Not a 1 phone call, get them on the plane asap situation.

Reply #509828 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And we've just lost our 8th or 9th man on the roster. You wouldn't expect we'd have much money to play with.
If they get who they're targeting, fans should remember the above context. Poor off-season, but they've really made the effort since. Social media is better, good ticket offers and promotions, went hard for Motum, and have now made a good offer to a player worth getting. If all that can keep Joey keen, I think it's money well spent.

And if one or two flee to Brisbane in the off-season, I think we might have the stocks to cover for it.

Reply #509830 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

If the current option falls through and we fall back on the Montreal option (not saying it will, just a hypothetical), does he then get a second contract, and get paid twice? Always wondered with these ones, like the Jesse Sanders situation last year.

Reply #509832 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Hendo...my understanding is that DJ is getting a lot of playing time where he is, nor is he being paid on time. So whilst he may not be available as such, if an opportunity presents itself he may be happy to cut his losses?

As far as a second run for Montreal it would all depend on his previous contract and the terms he was released on.

Reply #509834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it a previous big that played with the 36ers or another team in the Nbl?

Reply #509835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A 39 year old ira clark

Reply #509836 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

WHO IS THIS MYSTERY PLAYER WE ARE TARGETING??

Reply #509837 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Exactly Isaac.

Reply #509838 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

IF they are trying to get DJ then that could be a nightmare trying to get the FIBA clearance from his current team done in time for next weekend.
This sort of paperwork always seems to take a long time.

Still think we need a SF, as Creek hasn't taken another step up and Peach is too slow to play many SF minutes. Teys has regressed over the last month as well.

Reply #509841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely there is someone that must know who they are targeting!!! These days we always pretty much find any big afl news before it becomes official!

I know they have a lot more media covering the afl but surely Boti could get on it! Isn't that his job, trying to keep the basketball fan up to date with information! Instead of just reporting on games etc give us some actual information!
One thing it does prove is that there is no leaks coming out of the 36ers office!
I'm over it! Just tell us

Reply #509845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I know they have a lot more media covering the afl but surely Boti could get on it! Isn't that his job, trying to keep the basketball fan up to date with information! "

He does provide the fans with information. A lot of it is stuff he invents but hey, its still info!

Reply #509846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know, and if it does through it'll be great, huge news even. But until its common knowledge I'm not going to disrespect my sources who have trusted me to obtain this info but not blabber it to everyone!

Be patient, if it happens, it'll be massive!

Reply #509847 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Clearly lots of people know, but are keeping tight lipped. That can only be a good thing.

Media types know when to keep a confidence - if you don't, the next scoop does not come your way!

Reply #509848 | Report this post

Vodka 63  
Years ago

No, Boti's job is to lead the 36ers cheer squad and sledge anything to do with Perth

Reply #509849 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Diamon Simpson or John Williamson

Reply #509850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

XY spot on.

Reply #509851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even though he would be pretty old now I could certainly handle Ira Clark (if true). His energy, athleticism and wiliness were impressive at Gold Coast.

Reply #509854 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

So far Joey has turned Carter /Cadee into Crawford/Daly and Montreal to Motum

36ers have played 6 out of last 7 games against top 4 teams and are 5-2.

If he turns BJ into a stud, people on hoops will still find deficiencies to attack.

The next 7 36er games are 2 against top 4 and 5 against bottom 3. It is possible and likely the 36ers will be 14/12 or 13/13 with 2 games to go in the season.

Of the 36ers next 6 games 5 are against the bottom 3 sides

6 of the last 9 game are against bottom 3 sides including the bottom Hawks 3 times

Reply #509855 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

FYI

and saying that i would NOT want to be the first ranked team playing the 36ers in the semis in a best of 3... IF they were to slide into the top 4...

They would be full of confidence...

stranger things have happened... tonight we will see IF they want it enough...

they have proven this season already that they CAN beat the best...

such an even comp... hopefully the expansion that is imminnent is not to the detrement of the eveness of the competition.

Reply #509858 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

I think its an import that joey has. Coached before.wont be williamson or simpson.

Wont be an free agent NBA player...Dean would need to get big bucks.
Hope he is here by next game ,get him settled etc ready to win every game from here.

After this weekends round we have better idea of where we stand.

Reply #509859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't tell the Crocs Hawks Sydney and Adel its an even comp.

Reply #509864 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

What import bigs has Joey coached in teh past other than Ira Clarke?

I know he is always in touch with Ebi Ere...some say we need a SF...wouldnt classify him as a big though?!

Reply #509865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ira Clark, Will Hudson and Erron Maxey come to mind.

Reply #509867 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely there is someone that must know who they are targeting!!!
Yes, and I imagine Boti is another who knows. But if Dean has put that off-record, then it's not something he'll write about yet.

I think their target is better than Motum.

Reply #509872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebi Ere Boom!
I have a great source mark it down!!

Reply #509873 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Ira Clark is now 39 too old
Erron Maxy was given the flick by Wright at Gold Coast

Ebi Ere is one come to mind and also Will Hudson or Gary Wilkinson in my opinion they are the bigs

Reply #509875 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Cam Bairstow - deal with the Bulls .... They want some Heat as well !!!!

Reply #509879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, that sounds like it might be DJ to me!

Reply #509880 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Also sounds like Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bogut. All it means it if it comes off it should be a good player.
I for one applaud the proactive approach the club has taken this season. As a returned season ticket holder I feel my money is being well spent.

Reply #509881 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Better than Motum but is a former import big...those are the clues to work with.

Reply #509883 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Leon Trimmingham?

Reply #509884 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I can't think of many former import bigs that are borderline NBA players?

Reply #509885 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Will Hudson.....tall big comes cheap and does well off the bench.

Reply #509888 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Brooksy being elevated off the bench?

Reply #509889 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Brooksy - Gold - did you see him play last year ?? Still got it and can shoot the 3 ball still

Reply #509891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Better than Motum but is a former import big"

Where has it been stated it's a former import big? I only read that after this guy Montreal is the fall back option.

Reply #509892 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Who wouldn't want to see a bit of this back in 36ers blue?

http://youtu.be/lfCQou6Jf3s

or this

http://youtu.be/p9FCmJmuXZ8

Reply #509894 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can't think of many former import bigs that are borderline NBA players?
I think Motum went from borderline NBA to something a bit more realistic in recent months.

Reply #509896 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I thought Will Hudson would be a good fit as hes role player and is prepared to get in there and do the dirty work.

Reply #509897 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Khazzou?

Reply #509898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't be Will Hudson if this player is supposed to be better than Motum... Hudson is a solid player but not better... Could be Simpson or maybe Shane Edwards- ex cairns import... Was cut not long ago from Cleveland...

Reply #509899 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

shane edwards, though not really a big, would be a great fit for ADL, given Creek's about as injury prone as Matt Knight.

Reply #509900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Edwards is just as big as BJ...

Reply #509901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jerai Grant?

Reply #509902 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Boti said it was a former import...
Dean Parker said he was a big...
Isaac said he is better than Motum...

Reply #509904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Former sixer import or league import?

Reply #509905 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Saw Gary Wilkinson mentioned. How many red heads do we need in one team? Would we be setting some kind of record?

Reply #509906 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Former 36er or League import was not mentioned..

Reply #509907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Boti said it was a former import..."

I haven't read that, have you got a link?

In one of the articles of his I read he said Montreal (former import) was the 2nd option.

Reply #509909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An import but not within aus...

Reply #509911 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Can someone else drop another clue?

Reply #509913 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Yeah, this is doing my head in...

Reply #509914 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Ennis !!! just kidding.. Wilkinson !!!

Reply #509921 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Need a group to get to the Arena tonight to harass Parker for information or maybe Skip can put it in the Quiz night questions...

AArrrghghghgh

Reply #509922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trimmingham is 40+, Bulldog.

Reply #509924 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Kazzou ???

Reply #509925 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Please let it be Wilkinson...

Reply #509926 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Tiggs - too small ...

Can you imagine Motum and Wilkinson fired up on court together.. Ooooohhhh..

Reply #509927 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Realistically... How many bigs have been better than Motum that we'd be able to afford and be available? Can't be many.

Some recent bigs who might be considered in Motum's league: Wilkinson, Simpson, Johnson, Ogilvy, Khazzouh, Dunnigan, Ere (if you call him a big, which he isn't), Scott, Morrison, Grant, Hudson, Edwards.
Would be pretty happy with any of them.

Reply #509928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would take near on all of them over Motum. Imagine if we get dj or wilkinson, then we might have a 3 point shooter on the team.

Reply #509930 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Motum 208, Wilkinson 204 weight similar.. Edwards (Shane) 201 and lighter but more athletic, Hudson 205 in-between the above

Will Hudson decided to leave Spirou Charleroi for personal reasons.
The big man moved to Belgium during the summer. !!!

Reply #509931 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Baring an injury or early exit from Mcrae or maybe Kicket, I doubt Melbourne will drop out of the four.

Melbourne have the head to head on the 36ers, with no more games to be played so no chance of a two for one win over them either.

I wouldn't be splashing out for a big name if I was in that situation, but then again I am not a GM of an NBL team.

Unless they come cheap and/or are signing on for next season too, maybe Schenschers replacement?

Reply #509932 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Motum is shooting the three at 37%. Not too terrible. Noted shooters like Forman and Steindl are around 40% this season. Motum's percentage is ahead of Beal, Mcrae, Wortho, Cadee, Crawford, Perry, Daniels, Ellis, Blanchfield, Loughton, Gibson, Teys, etc. Only centres/PFs ahead of him are Kickert (league leader), Redhage, Garlepp and Forman.

Incidentally, Childress is scoring more but playing more minutes to do it.

Reply #509937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilkinson has started a law degree back in US. Very much doubt he will flag that.

Hudson would be my bet

Reply #509945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We've all seen Hudson with the Blaze/Breakers and he's barely half the player Motum is so can't be him.

Reply #509949 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Yeah, I'm not sure anyone would argue with a straight face that Hudson is better than Motum.
Handy player, probably a fairly good fit, but better? Wouldn't have thought so.

Reply #509951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Handy player, probably a fairly good fit, but better? Wouldn't have thought so."

Exactly and Isaac said this player should be better than Motum so it's obviously not Hudson.

Reply #509953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put my house on it being Daniel Johnson.... look at his stats in Poland, he hardly plays! Too bigger a talent not to be dominating somewhere.

Reply #509957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree I think it's DJ too.

Reply #509958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you were talking about ex Blaze player Luke Whitehead. I'm not sure if he would get a visa into the country.

Reply #509959 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

May be ask Larry sengstock?

Reply #509960 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Ray borner? Mark Dalton? Perth tried but they are not yanks apparantly? Weired?

Reply #509961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher just confirmed during the game that both the 36ers & Wildcats are trying to sign Daniel Johnson.

Tornado, told ya Boti never said it was a former import ('overseas based player' i.e. DJ playing in Poland).

Reply #509975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Credit were credit is due well played Brock. We need a rebounder, we let teams get so many 2nd chance/easy points. Dj/Simpson/Williamson/bogut anyone of those please.

Reply #509998 | Report this post

Blitz101  
Years ago

Can't see 36's getting DJ he signed a 2 year deal in Poland, do the sixers have to money to pay out his remaining contract

Reply #510024 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

His team might let him go given they're underplaying him. Alternatively, sometimes teams will cave if the player just wants to leave rather than holding onto and paying a guy who doesn't want to be there.

As I understand it, the 36ers are close.

Reply #510075 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If DJ signed a two-year deal, Zielona Gora might be pretty happy for someone to take his contract off their hands (and maybe even pay a small release fee) if they don't see him as part of their future.

Reply #510078 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Big 7'1 Jordan Vandenberg is available

Reply #510154 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

interesting reading; sixers play the gong tomorrow with a win making it level on games with Melbourne. 2 games ahead but have u seen who Melbourne play in the coming weeks away? NZ in nz and perth in perth. I dare say a defining moment in the next week

Reply #510160 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:56 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754