Annonymous
Years ago

Melbourne United Heritage Uniform

Can some one tell me what the Victorian State and Country Uniforms have to do with the Tigers and other NBL clubs that were not state representatives as they had imports, players from other states and so on ?? I just don't get the link to heritage of the former clubs.

Disrespectful forcing this on those clubs and not acknowledging the actual clubs on the heritage uniforms let alone the whole issue of the Tigers being the club per see. It is just still a weird concept that makes no sense apart from a pipe dream and world (victorian) domination of a group of people who want to be the next Perth. Not happening and not buying it..

Topic #36280 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

That is a confusing post.

Can you explain?

Did they wear a new uniform?
Was it representative of certain groups?
Did they represent state teams?
Did they represent previous NBL clubs?

Reply #510432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It annoys me that they wore Vic Metro and Vic Country uniforms in the preseason, and that the CV and V logos are present on the back of the United singlets now. United are NOT Vic Metro or Vic Country. There are players in that team that grew up playing against Vic Metro and Vic Country that would have hated these teams, surely they don't enjoy the fact they're wearing these uniforms now. And despite United's massive financial contribution to Basketball Victoria, they are not a BV run team, therefore should not wear Victorian uniforms.

Reply #510433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This may explain it a little better: - http://www.melbourneutd.com.au/article/id/rsxjs5t35jv71r5ctqods849r

I agree with the OP that the concept doesn't seem well thought through. United want to own Victorian Basketball and all the history before a second team is entered into the league, but as a result they aren't creating a strong enough stand alone brand. People still think it is the team that used to be the Tigers and United keep wanting to get rid of the Tigers brand.

In 5 years time this will be a case study of one the the worst rebranding decisions of all time.

Reply #510437 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

This is exactly what Victorians need to get over.
MU IS YOUR NBL team.
FFS stop all the bitching about who played what 30 years ago, and get behind them.

Constantly bleating that they are really the Tigers and how much you hate them, is not only puerile, its illogical. If The Tigers had folded, Victoria had missed a season, and then a new team was formed to represent Victoria, would you STILL be bitching???

The biggest irony is that all this negativity and bitching is exactly what is going to keep more Victorian teams OUT of the NBL.
When you have all died, and a new generation of fans is supporting MU and packing out RLA, then admitting another team will be a no-brainer for the NBL. Until then, ALL you demonstrate is that (despite all your claims) Victorians don't like supporting Basketball.

Reply #510438 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Strewth Dazz, on behalf of all Victorian's can I just say how sorry we are. I had no idea we were all such troublemakers.

Reply #510439 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Thanks for posting the link 510437.

I am not sure its such a big deal them wearing the "V's" - if BV are happy with that so what.

I think its a bigger deal them deciding that they represent the history of all the previous NBL clubs.

Reply #510441 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I actually like the Forman Patchwork Quilt Uniform

Reply #510450 | Report this post

Annonymous  
Years ago

Somehow I don't think the objective is to bring more Vic teams, rather keep them out and monopolise the entire market,

In the words of Dr Phil - How's that working for ya !

There has been a failure to recognise that the teams do not want to share history. They would rather leave history as it is, as suggested who cares what happened 30 years ago, so why bring them back in to join up with their enemies..

Should have rebranded and fixed Tigers or just bailed out and started a completely new team and left all those clubs histories in the vault and intact and able to be reborn if anyone feels the need or has the money.

And if you are going to start a Heritage based on the premise of bringing all the teams together and Unite, why do a State uniform - WT...

Jack I like a patchwork too but I think they should have just bowed out of Heritage round and wait a few years to join in the fun..

Whatever is what I say..

Reply #510455 | Report this post

Annonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, sorry not a Victorian just a confused Basketball fan with reasonable questions I and apparently others thought a good topic for discussion.

I love Heritage week and reliving the good old days of teams gone by. It generates positive memories and a little fun. The Victorian teams are irrelevant to NBL fans in general. I love the Gongs uniform and Gordie in the kit and it is relevant. They relate to and discuss the Illawara Hawks and it is good.

Reply #510457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They own the history and the vjbl now - and they re-write it however they want.

Reply #510476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Dazz where do you come from? Victoria I hope. If not STFU.

Reply #510480 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

MU have rebranded to establish themselves as the team for ALL Melbournians. Since under the MU banner they are a new construct, what else do they have by way of Heritage? They are simply trying to demonstrate that they represent ALL Victorians.

Reply #510501 | Report this post

Annonymous  
Years ago

Utopia does not exist. History does.

Reply #510504 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Dazz, we know what they have done, the question is do we want it? As someone sort of said previously, that is the test of their brand.

BTW they are not saying they represent all Victorians or they would not have named the team Melbourne. They are also saying they represent all the previous Victorian NBL teams.

Victoria has a rich basketball history. I find it pretentious that United purport to represent all the NBL clubs that have fallen by the wayside, because no one asked them to do that.

Nunawading, Frankston, Geelong and Coburg (are there others?) I'm sure hold their NBL heritage within their ongoing structures and see it as their history, not something to be overtaken by an NBL club that just "says" they are the bones of the past in the present.

I have no problem with United representing Victoria, or purporting to. Good luck to them and their strategy.

Reply #510507 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

They actually changed the name and 'rebranded' in order to avoid paying back debts.

Reply #510509 | Report this post

jodiechrist  
Years ago

MU are directionless hacks, it makes sense they'd go for the broadest generic "heritage" they can find. They haven't respected Victorian basketball fans in the past, so I can't see why they'd decide to start now.

Reply #510530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sounds like port adelaide football club who try and claim everything in the past leagues as theirs...

Reply #510533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Curtley really? please elaborate!

Reply #510738 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Victoria has a rich basketball history. I find it pretentious that United purport to represent all the NBL clubs that have fallen by the wayside, because no one asked them to do that."

But that's my point.
Victoria is undoubtedly the "strongest" basketball state in Australia. They have so many leagues and teams, it seems that half the population is playing. LOL.
Yet they can't get behind a single team in the NBL.

As I said, had the Tigers folded, missed a season, and MU had been started as a new team, would that have been more palatable?

Rather than getting agro that they seek to represent Victoria's NBL history, people need to embrace it.

I know all about rivalries, so I can understand that the Tigers were once rivals to historical NBL teams. But the simple fact is that those rivalries nolonger exist. If your team exists, its playing in the SEABL, or VBL, but as an NBL franchise it has ceased to exist.

Sure, I think the NBL was much more fun when there were 14+ teams, and having teams from Newcastle, Brisbane, Geelong, Canberra, Hobart (and the other Melbourne teams) was fantastic.
But those days are gone. If and when another Victorian team is admitted, that will be it, and it too will need a WIDE body of support.

Personally, I think that basketball fans in Victoria SHOULD support NBL, but that's a personal choice. Point is, if people want to support NBL then MU IS their team. If they don't want to support NBL, that's their choice, but then I feel they should shut up about it and stop complaining.

Reply #510768 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Dazz,

As I said, I have no problem with them purporting (trying) to represent Victoria (even if their name stands in the way of that).

But no one annointed them to represent past clubs.

The Brisbane Lions, in part, represent Fitzroy - they wear the FFC on the back of their jersey, call themselves the Lions etc. That was a process that was endorsed (even manufactured) by the AFL.

You can't just say "we represent all the previous NBL clubs" and just expect people to buy in to that. Had they merged with the Giants and Magic and Spectres and Bears etc then all good.

But they didn't. They just created a new entity and said we are the past in the present - look at us.

I have no interest here, but I can understand clearly that people from other dead clubs who did volunteer, or buy seasons tickets, or whatever they did, are alienated by this.

The Melbourne Victory didn't come out when they launched and say "look at us, we are Hellas and we are this club and every other club from Vic that played in the NSL - and you should follow us because we say we are. The Victory went and created their own brand and style and game experience.

Your first post was you telling us their "OUR" team and that we need to get behind them. I can understand why many people make a decision not to. And its a reasonable decision based on how the new club has conducted itself.

Reply #510772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GO DRAGONS!

Bring back South Dragons pleeeeeease?

Reply #510822 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Were they wearing it tonight???
I couldn't see anything?

Reply #510886 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:31 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754