Dunkin' Dan
Years ago

R15: Wildcats vs United

Melbourne would drop to the same 10-11 record as Adelaide with a loss tonight.
Enough to make 36ers fans cheer for the Cats? Debatable I'm guessing.

Perth need this one badly to arrest the slide, with 3 road games next up on the schedule.

Topic #36288 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's a hard choice for Sixers fan which team to barrack for. Now I know how the CIA feel - "which bad guy do I support?"

Perth look to have lost a bit of their mojo and will need to bag this one to give them some confidence on the road. Bench depth is a concern, but let's not forget U'U scored 22 this season so it's times like these when the bench needs to lift.

Melbourne are the Steven Bradbury of the NBL. Just when you think they are done, someone falls over and they get the win. The two recent games against Sydney could have easily been losses. If they get to finals, for them to make any impact, it needs to be from their own hand. Talent wise, you could argue they are more talented than Perth.

Games like this get down to winning positions and winning each possession. Things are going well for Adelaide at the moment and that is why pessimists are tipping a Melbourne win.

However, confidence is something the Wildcats have plenty of and if you want to, they sell it in the online shop by the bottle, alongside the player's grandmothers. You can also get the GM to sign the bottle for an extra few bucks.

Wash my mouth out, Perth to limp over the line.

Reply #510695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go you Wildcats!

Reply #510711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide fans surely want Perth to win.... or have i miss calculated the whole thing.

Reply #510734 | Report this post

Sixers147  
Years ago

Seriously I hate perth like everyone who don't support perth. Everyone has great joy seeing them lose particularly at home in front of those spoilt brat fans. Melbourne too win then after tonight hope they lose games so we can overtake them in the top 4

Reply #510749 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

At least if we lose I know our sacrifice will help end the finals charge for people like the posters above :)

Reply #510751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its hard not to be a "spoilt brat" when you are a fan of the most successful club ever.

Reply #510753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Seriously I hate perth like everyone who don't support perth. Everyone has great joy seeing them lose particularly at home in front of those spoilt brat fans."

Get a life, seriously.
It's also rather arrogant (or deluded) to believe that every other NBL fan is as small & petty as you.

Reply #510759 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Wow sixers147, you have one great win and it's gone too your head. I'll take great pleasure now seeing sydney and woolongong beat you this weekend.

Reply #510760 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Every fan base has feral supporters with little or no idea, it's just that the Wildcats haven't had to many bad seasons for the rest of us to feel better about.

The best team will win the title and if it's the 3rd or 4th seeds then so be it.

If the Breakers can't win the title this season my preference is for the Taipans to win their first title as I think Fearne has put together a highly competitive team at both ends of the floor.

From there as Perth, Adelaide & Melbourne have all won numerous titles (United haven't as United yet but that franchise has won titles), I wouldn't have a preference if the GF played out between those 3 teams.

I'm hoping for a Breakers VS Taipans GF because they are the 2x best teams and I think it will be a super competitive final with at least one OT game.

Reply #510765 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

As an Adelaide Fan i too would like to see Cairns win a title... said it after they beat us first game this season and then to go on a 6-0 run they certainly deserve the accolades...

Either way i think it is an exciting time for the NBL... 1/4 of the season left and only really wollongong and Townsville not able to make the top 4... Sydney have A LOT of work to do... but are still mathematically a possibility...

Reply #510769 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I expect Perth will win tonight. They wont like having lost a close one to the sixers and they are going to be coming for it

Reply #510773 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I hope tonight's game is as cracking as the game vs Adelaide. Well, maybe with the Cats winning the close one this time :) Was one of the best games I've seen in a long time and games are usually blown out at the Arena.

Reply #510776 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Sixers147 Unfortunately its the few fans like yourself that give any clubs fan-base a bad reputation.

Reply #510777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Worthington was on SEN last night and they were saying for the flight from NZ to Perth they were in economy. Apparently the guys had to spend most of the time in the aisle. I was wondering who books the flights the club or the league it seems like a mistake for such a long flight.

Reply #510778 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

so united if they lose tonight will be blaming they had to fly economy?

Reply #510780 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I think everyone outside of Townsville would like to see the Taipans win a title.

Reply #510782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard stories of European teams Taking trains and buses similar distances.

Reply #510783 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Easy, we need Perth to win to have any chance at all at finishing 4th.

Reply #510785 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Exactly where in Europe are you going to find a similar distance to a NZ->Perth trip? The only comparable trip distance is teams on the western edge of Russia travelling to Vladivostok on the eastern coast. And I reckon they don't bus that.

Reply #510786 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats Twitter : " Heading towards another crowd of 13,000 plus for tonight's game! "

13K for a Wednesday night, just days after pulling a crowd of 13,500.......just awesome.

Reply #510787 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

If we do hit 13k+ on a mid-week game, you'd think that if Marvin was behind the resistance to mid-week games, as Boti et al, suggested, that he'd be feeling pretty embarrassed about the success right now.

Reply #510794 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Nathan, they may fill up as everyone is worried. Ordinarily if top of the ladder may not fill up.

Reply #510800 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's also one game, during school holidays, with no TV.

Try it every week, during school, competing with TV, and it might not be the same story.

Reply #510806 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

2 games actually...in a week, with one of the games telecast on TV :P Most games have been 12K or above also

Reply #510807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whinging Wortho again. If the owners can pony up for business class I am sure they would. It's however extremely unlikey. Their own club books the flights in conjunction with the NBL, exit aisles are usually booked and all should be good.
Same for every other team that would have to do the same leg.

Reply #510810 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Perth filling up midweek and every other NBL team filling up midweek are two very different things.

Reply #510831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How does Redhage get away with all the off-ball stuff???

Reply #510848 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Come on you floppy cats! 34:41 at half time

Reply #510851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the Wortho-Redhage battle

Reply #510852 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Cats running with a 6 1/2 man rotation, Melb giving all 9 a reasonable run. Legs might be a problem at the end?

Reply #510853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage and the wagstaff continue to flop.

Reply #510854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Perth are really shit now. Crazy how bad they are....

Reply #510857 | Report this post

emilt  
Years ago

take 2 or 3 players out n they are as hard to beat as hawks are. haha. no sympathy whatsoever

don't worry bout glory this year cats

Reply #510858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man Perth fans really bay for blood, the way they cheered when Walker popped his shoulder.

Reply #510860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff back to back 3s and the ferals are getting excited! Didn't see the walker injury but no surprises if the ferals were cheering, classless in every way.

Reply #510861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee I thought if u were out if court you could not have a foul called in your favour??

Reply #510863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fans didn't cheer for him popping his shoulder, they cheered that the umpires actually gave us the ball after many many many consecutive no calls

Reply #510864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again redhage grabs opponent first ...then foul called on his opponent

Reply #510865 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Still a game behind Melbourne :-(

If I were Perth, I would want to win one on the Sunshine Swing this weekend - otherwise there could be trouble.

Reply #510866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woohoo!! Well done United !!

Reply #510867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flophage tried his best again baiting Dennis into retaliating.

Reply #510868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

23 free throws in the final two minutes, what a fixtastic finish to that game !

Reply #510869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#861 how could you possibly know what is going through someone's mind when they cheer for something during a game? Dickhead.

Reply #510870 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

:-/ Well at least I got a piece of that $3.00 action.

Cats are serving up some real rubbish right now. The offence is as bad as ever, but now the D has got all kinds of holes in it as well, even basics like getting back in transition.
I didn't think Melbourne were that great, but they were more than good enough. eg. they didn't cough it up 19 frikkin times.

Reply #510871 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why Gleeson.. Didn't look like they had any tricks up their sleeves.

Defence terrible and why was Jervis not used more or plays run for him.

What about trying 2 guards Uu and Martin together with some hustle to pressure the ball.

Beal over dribbling tonight and the passes, poor receiving seriously demeaning for those players.

I put it all on the coaches head ... players had issues but they did not look like they knew what was going on and had no solid plans.. Rotations we ???

Reply #510872 | Report this post

liverpool  
Years ago

This team dosent have a Ennis to bail them out anymore. They look done. It is between NZ,United, Cairns and the 6ers with DJ.Perth are going to be making up the numbers in the playoffs if they make it.

Terrible coaching is being exposed.His flex offense is not very effective anymore.Beal has gone off the boil and they get no offense from Damo.

Reply #510874 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yeah, there's very little purpose in our offence. Every possession seems like we're working things out completely from scratch.
Doesn't help that Damo is now passing up layups. Just a sign of where our aggression to score is at.

Reply #510875 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

On the plus side, our hip-and-shoulder technique is textbook

Reply #510876 | Report this post

liverpool  
Years ago

Last seasons offense looked better because Ennis could erupt for 30 plus at any given minutes and blow a game wide open. This eeason there are no more match winners out there. Beal was balling and the Cats were wining, once teams adjusted on Beal in the last few weeks the Cats offense has dried up.Redhage is not the a match winner like he was 4 or 5 years ago either.

It dosent help Knight the Cats best player thus far is gout for the foreseeable future either.

Reply #510877 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Dammit Perth.

Reply #510879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if some Adelaide fans realize Perth's loss tonight means they won't make playoffs.
Too 4 is set now.

Reply #510880 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Cats offence is just plain ugly. Really missing Knight who was a big focul point on their game plan. I like how Daniels is coming along but Beal is really struggling. Gleesons rotations seem to be a lil bizarre at the moment also.

Reply #510881 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

To the last anon, still very much on for spots 3 and 4. Makes it tough, no doubt but Perth are more vulnerable than there ladder position suggestions and who knows with Melbourne. Certainly still a chance.

Reply #510882 | Report this post

Roger Kakulas  
Years ago

I have especially enjoyed the signing of Luke Martin.

Before we signed him I had my doubts about our championship credentials but now that we have another ball handler who can't get the ball out of the backcourt without turning it over i think we'll be fine.

In all seriousness Wildcats fans cannot complain, we get to watch our team in a great arena and we have been fortunate enough to have a lot of success.

Reply #510883 | Report this post

SIXERS147  
Years ago

Great win by United, another loss for the spoilt fans of Perth. 12-8 with their loaded squad shows another failure with the exception of last year. Clearly a better team than Melbourne, and they are almost on par. Rob Beveridge era only 1 championship when they were clearly the most loaded team in the comp. Hoping for the sake of the finals, Perth drop out and Adelaide get in.

Reply #510884 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Great Game. Personally I like to see teams playing solid defence.
Credit to Melbourne, they were simply more consistent. If anything they did a better job on defence and forced the turnovers, whilst they just kept coming on offence. When Perth left a hole they went through it.

Great to see Damo finally nail those 3's when he was basically forced to take the shots, pity he had been avoiding taking shots all night.

Beal had an off night, but then he was getting doubled-teamed a lot. That's the problem when its too easy to sag off other players.

Reply #510885 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

If the make the four and Knight is back, I wouldn't want to play them, that's probably one of the worst performance I have seen in a while, if Perth click at the right time and if they do it will be interesting.

I would rather watch nz win than watching Adelaide on the finals. No one likes the home cooking any more. Got to change the menu.

Reply #510888 | Report this post

Happy14  
Years ago

It is getting a bit sad. The bench are getting frustrated. The first 5 are knackered. Damo played 36 mins. They could have used the likes of U'u a bit more

Reply #510891 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Boy, they are sure missing Matty, were so small with a gaping hole in the middle. Hope they can hang on to a finals spot until he's back.

Reply #510892 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

2 games actually...in a week, with one of the games telecast on TV :P Most games have been 12K or above also

I was specifically referring to the midweek games thing.

Reply #510893 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Losing 7 games in a row is gonna hurt Adelaide so much, the fact Wildcats lost ain't gonna help them whatsoever... And just when they seem to be getting a run together and starting to gel... Haha, be so funny if having DJ back they start playing shit again. They would be better of without DJ at this point but should be a good laugh if it turns to shit like what happend when they got Motum in.

Reply #510894 | Report this post

ronny  
Years ago

I don't see the Cats as the same team as last season when they had a aura about them. This season they look like a team with downgraded defences and their offence looks clueless.

I think last seasons Cats would still be the team to beat this season, but this years version looks really, really bad compared to last season.Talent wise I don't think the Ennis to Daniels conversion is that much of a downgrade to warrant such a spiral in performace.Injuries to Hire and Knight haven't helped, but it looks something is not right.

Reply #510896 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If Adelaide start losing games again, no need to blame Wilson. Bringing DJ in when the team is doing so well could backfire bigtime

Reply #510902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both teams shot the ball ok - Perth slightly better FG%, Perth won the rebounds - all came down to more turnovers from Perth and more steals from United

Reply #510907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So United has the split over Adelaide & Perth - who is leading the Adelaide-Perth head to head??

Reply #510908 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Perth. By a lot.

Reply #510910 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Why did Hire start and not Daniels? Have they forgotten that he's just a solid role player and not a starter in this league? Why risk upsetting the main man?

Reply #510911 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow - what a massive win for Melbourne!

Top 4 in danger for Perth after second straight loss

Although they own a two win advantage over fifth placed Adelaide, four of Perth's final eight games come against Cairns and New Zealand while a Round 20 match-up with the 36ers looms as a potential elimination final.

Starting to look like a three-way battle between Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide now for the final 2 spots in the top 4.

Reply #510914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson blaming the ref now.

"I don't know what we’ve got to do. We’ve called the referees advisor and he said he talked to the referees, and we talk to the referees and they say 'No, we’ve never heard it’," Gleeson said.
“DeAndre doesn’t seem to get the calls other imports in the league do.”

What a joke.

Reply #510929 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A coach under fire and feeling the pressure...

Reply #510931 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Gleeson being exposed as a coach.

Reply #510932 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon...Sixer fans had already given up on the season. Sure our recent run of form has us a little excited about the possibility of still making finals but we also know it is a very long shot.
DJ returning could upset the chemistry, it could also bolster the chemistry - who knows? We're just excited to have him back in Blue and seeing how he performs with the rest of the team.

Reply #510934 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"Why did Hire start and not Daniels?"
I assumed it was just to give Daniels a bit of a shake-up. If so, it definitely seemed to work.
It's about the only thing that did though.

Reply #510936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of all the refereeing concerns from last night, I don't think a lack of calls for Daniels would have been the biggest. It was a one man circus out there last night, apparently 13,000 people paid good money to see the OTT theatrics of one tiny man.

Reply #510943 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Okay, well, now it's a problem.

Reply #510946 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Melbourne's win over Perth gives them the season series and United also already have Adelaide covered there too. Melbourne still need to win games, but they are now in a pretty good position with the other two final 4 contenders.

Reply #510952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Perth and Adelaide series split so far if they end up tied

Reply #510961 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

From memory Adelaide are down about 25 pts

Reply #510962 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

and 1 win...

Reply #510963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ADL v PER 2-2 PER +27 Perth hold split
ADL v MEL 2-2 MEL +27 Melbourne hold split
MEL v PER 2-2 MEL +14 Melbourne hold split

In the event of a 3-way split:
MEL 4-2 +41
PER 4-2 +13
ADL 4-2 -54

Reply #510964 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Adelaide still have a game to go against Perth... I think its 2-1 but point differential looks right.

Reply #510966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson said that!... Thats just sad, he is such a whingy poor coach. Daniels is not that good, and Martin can't shoot, so you sag off Martin, and you just let Daniels force it. Perth aren't as good as there fans think and hype around them isn't warranted. Redhage has really made it easy for the rest of the league to dislike them too, he is just a dirty player.

Reply #510968 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

If the Wildcats dont have 5 American born players they going to find it hard to win against the top teams.
Im sure they can find another "American Aussie" to fill Earnest Ross's spot, then they will be back t full strength and dominating again!

Reply #510972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry - posted too quickly

Yes should have been:

ADL v PER 1-2 PER +27 Perth hold split, 1 game to come
ADL v MEL 2-2 MEL +27 Melbourne hold split
MEL v PER 2-2 MEL +14 Melbourne hold split

In the event of a 3-way split, order will depend on Perth Adelaide last game result. Perth win, they'll get the 3-way head to head over Melbourne. Adelaide win, Melbourne will get the head to head over Perth.

Nett result is that Adelaide must win 3 more than Perth OR 2 more than Melbourne to make finals.

Reply #510973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ unless:
- Adelaide beat Perth by 28 points or more and
- win 2 more games than Perth and
- Melbourne finish above Perth in games won and
- Adelaide tie with Perth for 4th.

I don't see them beating Perth by 28+.

On Perth's performance this season relative to last season, I looked more closely at Martin's relative performance. Last year, people were talking of him being a dark horse for MVP. No such talk this season. In particular, his 3-pt shooting was a really effective weapon. This season, he's shooting 27% there, compared with 42% last season. His overall field goal percentage is down to 32% from 44% last year.

On the Daniels vs Ennis comparison, Daniels gives Perth 7pts per game less than Ennis, 1 less assist per game and is a lesser 3-pt shooter. He rebounds at about the same rate as Ennis. Ennis also got an extra steal per game than Daniels.

Perth played well without Knight last year. He only played half the season (17 games) and they won consistently without him. That suggests their problems this year have more to do with no Ennis and a less reliable outside threat from Martin. Plus the x factor of Hire being missing from the bench for a large chunk of the season.

Reply #510976 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Martin's offensive sludge this year is a pretty serious concern.

I mean, last year Martin was racking up some phenomenal stats that made him a threat at both ends of the court. Unfortunately, this year he's basically opening up the double team on Beal because he won't take open shots, and when he does take them, he's missing them.

Reply #510977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if Gleeson's comments will incur a fine.

Reply #510979 | Report this post

Blitz101  
Years ago

peeps can't have a go at gleeson whinging, other coaches where the same last year with Ennis getting all the calls.

Reply #510980 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Gleeson is obviously trying to deflect pressure away from himself by making these comments

Reply #510981 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

When you see a number of talented individuals underperfoming it usually means the team systems aren't functioning.

Reply #510983 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Same happened to Ennis, they never get the call. Chilldress or Jackson get a touch, it is a different story. Not making excuses, it would be good to get a few. His been good, just no one else is giving him any help and when he turns the ball over or misses the shot tho focus is on him.

As good as martin is good, u need to put points up, his the pg. So basicly u have four on five in regards as scores, don't no any team that there pg scored 2 points a game, this yr has been his worst and it is telling on the team.

Reply #510986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wow Perth are really shit now. Crazy how bad they are...."

it's like no one actually watches the league properly. sigh.

Perth are the same team as last season only that finally other teams improved. No one stepped up to the mark last season when NZ sucked under Vickerman, there was a gap and the best mediocre team won which was Perth. Perth Adelaide final was pretty weak for a GF. This year NZ are back and Cairns have stepped up finally to their capabilities after the players told Fearne to chill out a bit, United could be good and Adelaide are fast turning around their season.

Reply #510995 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Paul is on the money! Hence the coach is under pressure...

Reply #510996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gleeson being exposed as a coach."

Exactly, oh and remember the Cats went all the way to the US on a scouting mission to find a coach and this was the result. snicker! Amateur hour/rort to have a free holiday overseas.

Also notice Gleeson's body language on the sideline. When things go bad he doesn't give any useful feedback. He stands there hands on hips bewildered why things aren't going well because he expects them to. Was lucky to be put into a gig with a solid team and MVP (lol) import last season, winning the title in a weak season. Very spoilt and now just expects it to continue and acts like a drama queen when they are down.

Look at good coaches like Goorjian when things aren't going their way they don't just stand there amazed they actually think it through and fix the problem at timeouts by changing the game plan. This guy just stands there acting insulted that he isn't winning. Dud who was lucky last season.

Reply #510998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Exactly, oh and remember the Cats went all the way to the US on a scouting mission to find a coach and this was the result. snicker! Amateur hour/rort to have a free holiday overseas."

Ah no, that didn't happen. The trip to the US had already been planned long before Bevo and the Cats parted ways. Like they have done in other seasons, they visited NBA teams to see how their game night production works.

Reply #511001 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Been leaning towards feeling that Gleeson needs the sack for a while now, the thought gains a lot of momentum every time I see us coming out of a timeout and producing a lot of spuddery.

Reply #511003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember watching the Perth/Adelaide game when they were putting headsets on the coach's heads and talking to them in game, I thought Joey would be the one to spit the dummy but it was Gleeson.

Reply #511010 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Did you guys listen to him in the half time footage on Friday's game?

"yeah, uh, we're gonna run, uhhhhh, that thing...."

Actual quote

Reply #511016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth deliberately lost so that Adelaide won't make the finals. Nobody wants to see Adelaide in the finals.

Reply #511018 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Ahaha, I wish x.x

Bloody Melbourne.

Reply #511020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth fans talking of cutting players and firing their coach after a tough run.

Its apparent that they have had far too much success.

Reply #511023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fans of shit clubs talk about cutting players and/or coaches all the time. What a stupid bit of logic. Never go full retard, #023.

Reply #511024 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Don't know who's talking about cutting players, but the rumbles about Gleeson started last year and have been picking up a bandwagon from early on this year.

Reply #511027 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The saving grace for both Perth and Melbourne could be the 36ers indifferent start to the year and then that 7 game losing streak. If we had won even just 2 of those 7 games then it would be a LOT closer right now.

That might be the difference.

Reply #511032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd definitely want to be in a position of already being in the four, rather than fighting to get in it. The AFL has some crazy rule of thumb that the top 8 is set after round 9 about 90% of the time, or something like that.

Reply #511033 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Clearly the Wildcats are tanking to avoid facing the 36ers in the finals ;)

Reply #511035 | Report this post

ronny  
Years ago

To the anon who thinks Perth are the same as last season. You are delusional. They are nowhere the offensive or defensive team they were last season. Not even CLOSE!

Reply #511036 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah you cant drop 7 in a row and expect to be alive come the end of the year. I hope we can pull it off somehow but i'm assuming i'm like most and just enjoying this push for what it is.

Reply #511037 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

A big concern for Perth is why they haven't got an injury replacement for Knight. They obviously need some help there and I wouldn't trust Knight to be back in time for the finals.

Reply #511038 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The reality is that at full strength, the Cats have 8 very good players. When you look at most clubs, you see a similar story of upto 8 players dominating the court time.

Redhage is nolonger the player he once was. No problem with that, except that if you're looking for 3~4 players to carry the offence, he's not the massive scoring accumulator he once was.

Hire suffered what transpired to be a devastating injury, missed most of the season, and has not fully recovered. He can run fine, but can barely jump at all, which is not what you want to see in a basketballer.

Jervis (who had an off game last night) is an 80~90% replacement for Knight in the starting 5. Problem is that he doesn't do everything Knight does, and NOBODY is replacing him off the bench.

Damo is still doing what he does best, but yes, in the seasons that the Cats dominate he is offensively dangerous (which he MOSTLY isn't now.)

Early in the season, U'U and Ross were providing offensive support off the bench. Now they're not.
Maybe U'U is just symptomatic of the tougher time that the Cats are having.

I know people like to remark on the "loop-holes" that allowed Ross and U'U to play as "locals," but the fact is that even before Ross' injury they were only bit players. Perth's strength was always always in those eight players, and they really only have 6.5 of them now.

Not 100% sure what was behind the move of starting Hire. Without Ross (or even Muo) and with U'U running cold, Perth are a bit top-heavy. (At times last night they played with 4 forwards.) So I can perhaps understand trying to use DD in more of a 2-3 role. But if you wanted to start another forward, Wagstaff would have been better, and I still think that DD could have started.

Reply #511039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grubers available tho in the US, they need another yank to fill the gap.

Reply #511042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perth are a different team when knight is on the floor. dont underestimate perth just because they have lost a few games. i agree they are not as good as the previous season but they still have more wins than united and adelaide up to this point. it was great to see united win in perth as it is a difficult place to travel and win games at. i cant see the sixers taking a playoff spot from either melbourne or perth. they left it too late with their run. Adelaide fans out there saying they will make playoffs, dont count your chickens before they hatch. you guys have played some terrible ball this year, good luck for the rest of the season cos you will need it if you want to knock out united or perth.

Reply #511064 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

They have 2 more wins because they haven played NZ or Cairns as many times as 36ers or United

Reply #511071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep Cats still to play Cairns x 2 and NZ x 2 plus Adelaide once. Other games are T'ville x 2 and Sydney once.

"Did you guys listen to him in the half time footage on Friday's game?

"yeah, uh, we're gonna run, uhhhhh, that thing...."

Actual quote"

Haha how gruff is Gleeson? Plus on top of that he has no idea what he is doing. No wonder McPeake had enough.

Reply #511116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, because Seamus is the best measure of when someone reacts rationally!

Reply #511118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #511033 why mention it at all? It's a boring non competitive league that's why the top8 is wrapped up by round 9. what has that got to do with nbl? most leagues have interesting races to qualify for finals, why mention one that doesn't, the obsession with such a crap sport in this country is mind boggling

Reply #511119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#511036 the other teams have stepped up, one import changed, rest of the team essentially the same playing the same wannabe Goorjian sludgeball, get over yourself

Reply #511120 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:53 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754