Dazz
Years ago

R16: Townsville Crocs v Perth Wildcats

As you'd expect, some important games this round, and Perth face the "Sunshine" Double.

Recent history does not bode well for the Cats. In November (when thing were generally going well) they travelled to Townsville after a similar 2-day break, and got hosed. Townsville generally use their whole bench significantly, and Perth's lack of depth could really be exposed. The match-ups will be interesting: With Gladness and Van Der Jagt, the Crocs could exploit Knights absence, OR simply chase more points with their more prolific Forwards and Guards.

It's a somewhat obvious point, but I feel the key to this game will be the Cat's defence (or lack thereof.) If they get it going early, can maintain it all game, and keep the Crocs to under 80, then they're a good chance. However if it turns into another slamfest, then I think the Crocs' depth & legs will prevail.

The Cats NEED to win this.
If they make the finals, AND KNIGHT is back, AND HIRE gets back near his best, AND Martin & U'U are hot, THEN they could still give the finals a real shake. But lose this, and we have to start wondering if this could be the end to their 28 year streak.

Topic #36297 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wildcats need this big time. Especially since they play Cairns and NZ after on the road. Winning this takes a lot of pressure off those two games. This is not a great match up for the Cats without Knight as Dazz has explained.

Reply #511048 | Report this post

Panic  
Years ago

Being the coach of a team that has made the finals 28 years in a row would know its a non negotiable & 29 must come after 28.

If the Wildcats return home to play the Kings 0-3 which is a good chance when does the panic button get pressed, even if they return 1-2 the pressure builds.

I think the Wildcats board would be ruthless if they could see the finals slipping away.

Remember there is no X amount of games you have to qualify for to Coach finals.

Is there any chance Gleeson could get shown the door if they fall out of the 4?

Reply #511051 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

As strange as this would have seemed just a couple of weeks ago.....I can see Perth going 0-2 over the Sunshine Swing.

Reply #511052 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Unlikely.

News of the Crocs dire financial situation is now public, and with the locker room lacking any real leadership on that roster, that should be the fork in them.

Hard to see them galvanising now.

Reply #511053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth were simply that bad and they have even less leadership in the coaching circles, Ill take the Crocs and the Cairns. And for once not just because I think the Perth team is full of morons, they actually suck real bad right now, its a joy!

Reply #511054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm going to guess that #054 is the same clown who has spent the entire afternoon trolling the forum to find very un-inventive ways of saying "perth sux lol"

Reply #511055 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Massive game for the Wildcats.
Lose this and there's a good chance we're 12-11 this time next week and in real danger of crashing out of the top 4.

Reply #511059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hah nah hasnt been me, but thats pretty funny and predictable. Its like the Yankees or Collingwood, everyone outside of those fan bases like it when they struggle. Perth just arent what they used to be.

Reply #511065 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I think, like Mark Twain, rumours of Perth's death are highly exaggerated. I have too much respect for the win-at-all-costs culture of that club to write them off or prematurely rejoice at their current woes.

After the poast 2 weeks, any complacency in the playing and coaching group will be well and truly erased. I expect them to come out hard and desperate, with more to lose than do Townsville. Given that, I expect them to win this one.

Reply #511072 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

This is Perth's game to lose and the pressure they are feeling must be intense. I can just see 15,000 homeless Perthites getting around in "29" t-shirts.

Townsville are out of finals and so their objective now until the end of the season is just to create mischief and mayhem. It is also the time for Gladness to step up to the plate and have a big one. He has delivered poorly against Perth. Jervis doesn't have the body strength over Gladness that Knight had so that matchup will be a lot more even tonight. Conk is the man who I think will be hard to control. I expect him to be molested on and off the ball so if the refs have their contacts in, then I think he will be off to the charity stripe for a few tonight.

It is also time for Holmes to play a Captain's knock tonight. Forget about the 3's Jake, 11% won't win games. Let's see some vintage Holmes crashing boards and getting stops. Remember, you have 5 fouls and if you are going to foul, use them wisely. You don't get a refund at the end of the game.

Perth are in all sorts of trouble and their offensive structure has broken down. Beal has dropped 3.3 ppg since Knight's departure and they are losing by 9 ppg. With the Cairns game tomorrow night, they will want at least one win.

This is an opportunity for the Crocs to step up and claim a big scalp.

Reply #511080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Its like the Yankees or Collingwood, everyone outside of those fan bases like it when they struggle. "

Because everyone outside of those fan bases are sick and tired of seeing them be successful. Just admit you are envious of their long-term success and we can all move on.

Reply #511083 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Currently in a fight for third place, the Wildcats need to win at every opportunity they get to ensure they hold on to that position.

Perth may struggle to keep the two big imports of Townsville quiet with only one true centre fit to play.

Perth have more to play for and I think that may get them the win. Lose and get ready to hear the calls for Gleeson's head!

Perth by 5.

Preview: Perth look to get back on winners list against Townsville

Reply #511087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is it with Perth fans telling everyone else they are jealous?

From memory in the past 14 seasons Cats have won 2 championships, and those two seasons were the least competitive! Kings and Breakers won 3 each in a three-peat dynasty. Melbourne Tigers won 2. wow what dominance Perth

Reply #511126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why aren't the NZ fans saying ur jus jealous!!11 oh wait maybe they have more class than the ferals out west

Reply #511127 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

You're quite right, anon 126.
Some fans might be satisfied with 4 grand final appearances in the last 5 seasons, including 2 titles, but you've clearly got higher standards than that, so good for you.
Always aim high ;)

Reply #511134 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Hehe some people talk so much shit on hear it gets a bit sad! Just look at there overall stats then give us a post. Nz beating Perth twice? U call those season's competitive? Tell us which season's has been the most competitive? Oh wait the years the wildcats won?

Ure a turd

Reply #511153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha I love how #126 just plucked out the magical 14 season mark, which all dynasties are measured across apparently, but which also happens to conveniently be one season less than 15....and in that season the Cats won a title.

I'm going to guess that #126 is one of those dicks who thinks that Perth's strike rate of "only" six titles in 29 playoff appearances is somehow not as good as a team winning three titles in less time but also missing the playoffs totally in some seasons.

Reply #511155 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

They are usually just anon's which have very little to zero credibility. Usually hiding behind a generic username because even they themselves don't want to be associated to the content of their posts.

Reply #511156 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

You know the saying, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics compiled by moronic anons like #1126 up there.

Reply #511165 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I'm guessing that #126 is the same douche who got the Wildcats fixture information entirely wrong in the other thread.

Reply #511166 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

Came home to Townsville to visit family for the long weekend and was on the same flight as the Wildcats last night. Damn that team is a tall team! Can anyone confirm if they are the tallest team in the league?

Heading to the game tonight.

Having been season ticket members from back in the Crocs hay day it will be interesting to see what the RSL stadium is like. By all talks and recent posts, I'm thinking I'm in for a rude awakening!

Reply #511173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the 14 year stats were correct? Add 3 in 15 and the point is?
That's exactly the arrogance of Perth fans that everyone hates. Just sayin.
Be a shame if there finals record was broken this season. Just sayin

Reply #511174 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Your an idiot....just sayin

Reply #511175 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

It's not just cherry picking stats, it's BAD, obvious cherry-picking. Please leave the keyboard and reevaluate your life, anon. Clearly it could do with some sprucing up.

Reply #511176 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Would be a shame if #174 got hit by the Minda Bus before he got on it today. Just saying.

Reply #511180 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@Bball fan: Townsville are the tallest team in the league.

Reply #511189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the Perth retards. Such passion, such arrogance.

Reply #511195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs looking the goods so far

Reply #511248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire goes down with a leg injury.
Crowd erupts in cheers LOL!
Good on em. Perth crowd would do the same if the situation was reversed.

Reply #511251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serious question - is this the most amateur stadium in NBL history? So embarrassing.

Reply #511252 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

#251, you're a knob.

Reply #511253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why am I a knob? Wasn't me cheering an injury. I'm not allowed to be amused by the crowd?
Ewe are a blab.

GO CROCS GO!

Reply #511255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin giving Redhage an absolute bath

Reply #511256 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The Internet is by definition "anonymous."
I could call myself "Darryl White of Kingsley," and you'd still have no clue who I am.
Furthermore, tomorrow I could be "Bob from Melbourne" and you wouldn't know.
So you have to wonder just how feeble somebody has to be, to keep hurling their little rants and insults from behind the "Anonymous" curtain.

Do I think most other fans are jealous of Perth's success? No I don't. I imagine that like any fan they'd prefer to see their team in the finals and win the pennant, but I think for MOST it doesn't descend into bitter jealousy.
However, when you read repeated posts of "we all luv to see perf looz cos thay suk so much" then I do have to wonder at the emotional maturity of that individual.

As for Perth's "success," I think they have been CONSISTENTLY above average, but that's about it. 6 Flags IS more than any other team, but the Cats have also been in the league longer than most current teams, and without major bleak periods.

Reply #511258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoying the game are you Dazz?
Poor Redhage is getting pantsed by Conklin and it is about to cost the Cats this game

Reply #511259 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Speaking of bath, isn't it time for yours?

Reply #511260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Floppage misses the wide open layup. Hurts Perth.
Then he fouls out. Helps Perth.

Reply #511261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Replays clearly show the ball going out off Jervis. Refs spend ages looking at footage, then give it to Perth???
Crucial possession too.
Really strange decision.

Reply #511264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man Redhage became bad real quick. Not much to like about Perth, I mean less than usual. Hire is a massive blow for them.... Cairns easily tomorrow night.

Reply #511267 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Enjoying the game are you Dazz? "

Loving it!

Reply #511268 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

#267, you're a knob.

Reply #511270 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Was it Hire's same leg?

Perth might as well not bother tomorrow night.

Reply #511271 | Report this post

garvs  
Years ago

with the jervis/blanchfield out of bounds only thing i can think of is i think Blanchfields foot may have been touching the line as Jervis thew the ball off him so he is out of bounds then hit jervis's leg thus cats ball (thats all i can think of)

Reply #511273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That game couldve easily been battle of the bottom teams. Neither team wanted to win, Hire's injury will make i hard from here for Perth to much of anything come finals time. All the arrogant Perth fans will want to hush for a bit, your team has lost the intimidation factor and it shows. But in true Perth fashion, continue the rants and arrogance naive approach.

Reply #511274 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Man that was close , let's hope that re-ignites Perth from here. Some great battles in that game, I enjoyed it.

Reply #511275 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"All the arrogant Perth fans will want to hush for a bit, your team has lost the intimidation factor and it shows. But in true Perth fashion, continue the rants and arrogance naive approach."

The "arrogance naive approach"? Oh dear.

Oh, and BTW, Perth setup that win when they held the Crocs to 10 points in the 3rd quarter, and brought it home by holding them to just 3 in O/T. I'd say that "the intimidation factor" is alive and kicking.

Reply #511277 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Holy cow. Got outta jail in that one. Way too close for comfort!

Reply #511278 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

"Arrogance naive approach" sounds like a dodgy Japanese subtitle.

Reply #511279 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

Unfortunately the trend continues for the crocs, they are playing some pretty good ball, but just can not at any stage execute on offense with the game to be won. So frustrating, they look like they have no idea where a shot is coming from down the stretch, and get flustered into a turnover or bad shot. 3 points in overtime come on!

Reply #511283 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Conklin was killing it and then the Crocs just stopped going to the well for some reason.
Some nice work by Wagstaff and Beal for us.

Reply #511284 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Oy vey, too close.

Reply #511288 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Does it look like Hire is gone for the season or just this trip?

Perth got it done (tonight anyway).

Reply #511292 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Hopefully this trip, since he's walking on it... but we'll see.

Reply #511294 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Uwe Blab,

Or a prog rock band.

Reply #511295 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

Wow as a cats fan love seeing all the negative comments. That win showed hear, behind most of the game, crocs at home, cats playing after playing 48 hours ago from Perth, losing another player, you do realise Knight out, hire out, Ross out, 3 of our players out. Cats need a big man replacement quick smart.

Reply #511308 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

until Greg Hire changes his hair style,bad things will happen to him :o

Reply #511311 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Perth has seen off a stern challenge from Townsville to prevail in a 93-85 overtime NBL victory at Townsville RSL Stadium.

The out of form Wildcats were simply better when it mattered as they restricted the Crocs to just three points in the extra period as they ran away with it in the final stages.

'Cats stifle Crocs in OT for crucial win

Reply #511312 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

If Jervis has already put a foot outside the court, he is considered "out of bounds." If Blanchfield is the last to touch the ball when it still live, then it touches Jervis who has had a foot outside the line, it has to be off Blanchfield.

Reply #511321 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I didn't think Jervis stepped out of bounds at all. My take on it was Jervis knocked the ball onto Blanchfield who had part of his foot on or slightly over the line.

Reply #511323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth getting all the injuries at the wrong stage of the season! Marvin must be spewing. Even if they get in to the finals, not going to make much noise. Lets be real this was a Crocs team they beat. That should've been a given. Hire injury could be even more severe now Knight and Ross are out this time around. Get a hair cut and regroup for next season champ.

Reply #511324 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Jervis had a foot out of court. The issue I think most people are having is the replay showed the ball touching Blanchfield, then it appeared to touch Jervis again (only one angle was used on replay though), so they conclude its off Jervis. The rules actually state that Jervis is already out of bounds, so it can only be considered off Blanchfield (if I'm describing the incident correctly).

Reply #511325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Ads, the refs got it done.

Reply #511326 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

The refs had no impact on the result whatsoever.

Reply #511327 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

My mistake, didn't read all the rules correctly.

Reply #511328 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The good thing for Perth is that they held the Crocs to 30 in the second half and 3'points in OT. Could this be the return of the trademark Perth defence. Tonight's game is going to be very interesting.

Reply #511330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good onya Uwe Blab. Come there talking smack and don't know the rules. Nosebreather.

Reply #511364 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I'm more of a diaphragm breather.

Reply #511373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you play Marko Djeric down the stretch? He cost the Crocs the game at the end of regulation. In the space of two minutes let Beal blow by him easily twice, chucks up an awful three and then tries to pass it to Conklin from an impossible angle. What is Shawn Dennis thinking (if he is at all)?

Also man Conklin was in beast mode yet no thread about it since he isn't an Aussie playing in the NBA.

Conklin owned Redhage completely.

Too bad bonehead coach playing bonehead scrub with a shocking tryhard haircut ruined it for him and the rest of the team.

Also the refs decision on the Jervis Blanchfield out of bounds was laughable. They go to the footage watch for two minutes and still get it wrong. Nearly giving up on watching NBL at this rate.

Also couldn't view video during first half due to bad bandwidth so found ABC Grandstand Perth radio of the game. Even the Perth commentators were talking about how what Redhage does is illegal. Couldn't believe my ears, even they think so.

Reply #511442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Mick interested to hear your thoughts on the game and Djeric playing down the stretch and the "coaching" plus updates on the club situation, is it RIP?

Reply #511469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

geez... asking mick q's about the club? wrong guy to be asking!

Reply #511796 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HOME TEAM
M. Norton: -9
T. Blanchfield: -4
B. Conklin: -8
M. Gladness: -3
C. Steindl: -9
S. Markovic: 3
L. Henry: 3
G. Vanderjagt: -3
M. Djeric: -6
J. Holmes: -4

ROAD TEAM
J. Beal: 1
D. Daniels: 9
T. Jervis: 7
S. Redhage: -3
D. Martin: 21
G. Hire: 6
L. Martin: -14
D. UU: 1
J. Wagstaff: 12

Reply #512548 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:32 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754