LC
Years ago

R16: Kings vs Breakers

New Zealand will have the opportunity to cement top spot and effectively end Sydney's season .

The Breakers are firing on all cylinders and the Kings, while they have been in relatively good form themselves, will have their work well and truly cut out if they want to keep in touch with Perth, Melbourne and Adelaide in the race for fourth place.

Breakers by 7.

Preview: Season on line for Kings across the ditch

Topic #36301 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

The Breakers are all fit and healthy going into this game bar Pledgers continued toe injury so Sydney should have their work cut out for them.

NZ by 7 is a fair call and prob not too far from the mark.

Reply #511096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's in Auckland not Sydney, can someone fix the title?

Reply #511138 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Hopefully my Kings can put in 110% effort and cause a upset!

Reply #511154 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

They can put 200% it ain't going to happen. Just a nice training drill for a Friday night.

Reply #511184 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Breakers are in Cruise control mode. Don't need to do anything crazy tonight.

You've been Pledgehammered

Reply #511186 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Two early fouls on Ibekwe in 5' could be dangerous for NZ.

Reply #511187 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Kings taking it to the breakers at the moment.

Reply #511188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else having trouble with nbl.tv?

Reply #511194 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Jack Toft,

Seems you weren't kidding about Breakers in cruise control.

Of course, last time they were in NZ, Sydney got a very serious HT lead and then got mullered in the 2nd half so anything can happen.

30-15 2nd quarter was a big surprise though.

Reply #511196 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

YEp, the LIVE sixers game in the same time zone as NZ Sydney game but the LIVE coverage is after the NZ game !!!! Yep seriously good LIVE coverage every game !!

And before you judge NZ, don't watch the live stats, watch NBL TV and see NZ getting screwed on the calls !!!!!

Reply #511198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings up by 10 with 4 min to go in the 3rd.

Reply #511199 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Take that one back. In NZ thought it was in Sydney..

Anyway... NZ still getting screwed on the calls..

Reply #511201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they are getting screwed at home. Unlucky. NBL tv says 29:10 to go in the 3rd.

Reply #511202 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Up by 17 going into the 4th, would take a meltdown of epic proportions for Sydney to lose this game

Reply #511203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lings up by 16. 8 min to go in the last.

Reply #511204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cody Ellis tearing the Kiwis a new one.

Reply #511205 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Stopping the breakers is about early fouls on Vukona and Ibekwe, for the most part.

Reply #511207 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

First Wesley gone, now Vukona gone. Breakers closing on points, but too late.

Reply #511208 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Seriously, WTF breakers? Terrible performance.

If this team is favourite to win the championship then the league is in even bigger trouble than I thought.

Reply #511209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jackson GORRRRRN!

Reply #511210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kiwis putting up 3's (Clangers) like no tomorrow and still trailing by 18 with 1:04 to go.

Reply #511212 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Wesley, Vukona, Jackson and now Ibekwe all gone o_O

Wow, Kings not doing this by halves.

Reply #511214 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Final result, NZ 101-81 Sydney.

Dangerous for NZ if Cairns knocks over Perth tomorrow. Also potentially dangerous if we're seeing a mid-season shift in refereeing to closer to last year (NZ got murdered in the foul count, even before the late tactical fouling).

Reply #511220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Final result Nathan is that the Kings win. The reverse of what you posted.

Reply #511222 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Oops. Sorry, force of habit with NZ games.

Reply #511223 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Would make things very interesting if Cairns and NZ drop their next couple of games.

Reply #511225 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Nathan, you mouth breather!!

Reply #511226 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

NZ was never going to win from the 1st quarter playing well or not.. Totally understand NZ frustration at the ref on those last calls.. False sense of security for Sydney though as not won by a brilliant game..

Reply #511229 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Massive win by the Kings!

http://pickandroll.com.au/nbl-201415-round-16-preview-kings-thrash-breakers-keep-season-alive/

The Sydney Kings have annihilated the New Zealand Breakers 101-81, handing the Breakers just their 6th loss of the season and first at Vector Arena. The Kings produced a strong team performance led by Josh Childress and his 28 points, as five Kings players scored in double digits and they won in convincing fashion.

Reply #511232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should read Sydney Kings assisted by the refs to beat dejected Breakers !!!!

Reply #511243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You mean the rest of the article wasn't stating the obvious enough?

Reply #511246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon said "Totally understand NZ frustration at the ref on those last calls.. " Lets not worry about those calls. How about the rest of the game that they were always behind in.
The refs too? Was Gleeson coaching there as well?

Reply #511247 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I notice from the stats Pledger had limited minutes - did he get injured?

Reply #511249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pledger has been playing with a ruptured tendon in his foot since game one! It clearly been getting worse as the season has gone on (as it would) hes only played 20 mins combined the last 3 games and there have been times through out the season he has looked in real agony!

Reply #511257 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Clearly this is the result of Arrogant Perth fans, Redhage flopping, Bendats money, and Marvin's Conflict of Interest!

After all, it couldn't possibly be that the better team on the night simply won?

Reply #511282 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ couldn't stop Sydney from hitting shots without fouling and Sydney forced NZ into tough shots that weren't falling.
Vukona was pretty terrible, was he sick?

One of the Breakers worst performances in a while.

Reply #511302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referring was atrocious

Reply #511306 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

It's the NBL, the reffing is always atrocious.

Reply #511307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No its not. Reffing is often alright IMO. Last night it was woeful

Reply #511335 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Well done Kings. Controlled the game tempo and scored at will. I like Cody Ellis and I don't think his coach gives him his due.
We ended up chasing the game and no team looks good when nothing seems to go your way. A good wake up call but also a timely reminder, any team can beat any other on the night.
Worrying signs with another poor effort from Webster.

Reply #511359 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

When a game goes down to the wire and is decided by a few points, you can often point to couple of bad decisions and claim that the Refs influenced the results. That's just the nature of sport.

But when one team plays great, the other is just awful, and the result is a blow-out, there is no way it is down to the refs.

If I wanted to be a bit more cynical, I might suggest that the Breakers finally got their comeuppance from a trio of refs with the balls to call the game according to the rules, rather than let NZ get away with their "style" of play.

I suppose that life would be simpler if every ref, every game, called every contact, but then the fans would be baying about all the soft calls. Ultimately its up to the coaches and players to adapt to the way the game is being called. As an example; in the opening game NZ adopted a particular defensive strategy denying Perth the paint and Perth were not getting the easy foul calls they expected inside. Unfortunately it took them until the half-time to adapt, by which time they had given up a 20+ lead. As somebody once quipped; "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result." NZ should have adapted to the way the game was being called, they didn't and half their team fouled out.

Reply #511361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If I wanted to be a bit more cynical, I might suggest that the Breakers finally got their comeuppance from a trio of refs with the balls to call the game according to the rules, rather than let NZ get away with their "style" of play."
Shame that doesn't occur in Perth. Oh wait Gleeson thinks they are now being screwed by the 'local' refs.

Reply #511363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is two things one asks for in refs

1) Getting it right
2) being consistent.

If they dont get point 1, you at least hope they get point 2. If they do, then one is happy.

I felt they were neither last night. They got so many calls just plan wrong - going both ways. Daft calls like calling a foul when it should have been a tie ball.

They were inconsistent. Cedric Jackson went mad at them for his two T's because he was called for a foul going for a steal in the mid court. I believe he was mad about not getting the same calls going his way - for fouls I believe were far more obvious than what he made.

What also annoys me is the print media write ups do not mention the reffing when the reffing had such a major influence on the game, and the crowd is so unusually vocal about it. They should mention it and not ignore it happening. Thankfully the subsequent TV media has been more mature about the situation.

Reply #511378 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

"Cedric Jackson went mad at them for his two T's because he was called for a foul going for a steal in the mid court"

Interpretation: Jackson is an idiot who should probably be fined by his team. Any professional knows you object, wave your arms, make a face, and GET ON WITH THE GAME. It takes a special kind of DH to cop TWO techs.
Kinda makes you wonder what has been happening to make NZ players think they can get away with abusing Refs like that???

Your Interpretation: "Its the Refs Fault!"

Reply #511455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would the media who would be not comprehending how a basketball is expected to be reff'd write about it?

Reply #511457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Post above sums it up. Media covering NBL have no clue about basketball that's why all the articles are level one fluff type pieces.

Also Cedric J being so calm usually and in this game going from that to calling the refs b*tch etc. goes to show how inconsistent they were.

Reply #511460 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

They can put 200% it ain't going to happen. Just a nice training drill for a Friday night.

lol... going into the game I might have agreed with you, but I have to admit to loving that this was SO far off the mark...

As for the reffing, I dare anyone to find any more bad calls that the Breakers got against them than the Kings... I'm not talking about the pushes or the reach in fouls that the Breakers bigs are now getting called for, or the contact that Jackson initiates that the refs have not been calling for a lot of the season (when they;'ve been getting it right) but the clearly bad calls... (nb: I just got to the point in the 4th where Jackson got called for a foul that should have been a jump ball - THAT was crap)

Forget the missed flop warnings for Vukona and Ibekwe (before he actually got called for one in the 4th) one team played with hustle all game, one team played as a team, and that wasn't the Breakers, even the incredibly biased Breakers commentators said so...

Reply #511486 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers were out played and settled early for jump shots while Sydney were aggressive and earnt early trips to the foul line.
By the time NZ tried to adjust, Sydney were riding a wave of confidence and had played the crowd out of the game.
NZ were in a big hole well before the refereeing became an issue also so to blame them is a cop out.
17/6 is still far better than Vickermans first season.

Reply #511489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentators and journalists roles are slightly different IMO. Commentators are supposed to be unbiased - they rarely are, but still that is their role, and most try their best to be so.

Journalists have no requirement to be unbiased.

The foul count was 31 - 10 in favour of the kings. If a journalist wanted to they could have had an article that was completely lambasted the referring. From the headline to every paragraph. They have no requirement to be seen as neutral. While this might be excessive and unnecessary, to completely ignore the impact the referring had on the game was a bigger oversight. I wondered if Kris Shannon and Niels Anderson even watched the same game. Certainly not in the stadium I did, where the only talking point was the poor reffing.

Like I said previously, the TV media presented a far more considered view and openly questioned the refs. One can only assume the print media dont understand the game well enough to comment - which I dont think is true as the journalists are much improved over the years, or there is some internal guideline for print journalists where they cannot comment on reffing..

Reply #511499 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754