Anonymous
Years ago

Under 18 Nationals

Any thoughts on who's looking good

Topic #36307 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Men - top 4 should be NSW Country, QLD North, NZ and VIC Metro. Probably VIC Country and NSW Metro the next 2 best after that. NSW Country will start favorites and are my tip to win. Should be closest nationals in a few years so looking forward to it.

Reply #511211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is it ? Any live stats ?

Reply #511285 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

Knowing absolutely nothing ....my tips are

Vic Metro in the boys
Vic Metro in the girls

Reply #511351 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Maxymoo, you are always good for a laugh mate!

I have seen the Vic teams, no others though, will be good to see team lists beforehand...

Reply #511354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't NSW Metro finish Silver at the U/16's in the boys 2 years ago? Plus Sam Gruggen is coaching can only mean GOLD!!!

Reply #511744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except their best player is over in the US playing high school basketball.

Reply #511759 | Report this post

Dash  
Years ago

With Sturt winning the January long weekend, beating all the VICM teams including Dandenong twice, does that mean SA should medal???

Reply #511760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAM came 11th two years ago for a reason Dash...

Reply #511769 | Report this post

Dash  
Years ago

And two years ago they didn't have a team do well in either classics or January. This year they won January. Or are the VICM boy looking like they will struggle. Significant upgrade in coaching for SAM and they always seem to do better in 18's than 16's. SAM boys a dark horse.

Reply #511773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSWM no chance of winning but may be in the hunt for Top 4

Reply #511775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dash, are you relying on Sturt winning over a Vic VJBL team for your inspiration?

Reply #511776 | Report this post

Dash  
Years ago

If a team from SA can beat a VIC team with 5 state players and another with 2 state players twice, why cant SAM beast VICM?

Reply #511777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many Sturt players are in the State SAM team?
Can they defend the shuffle?

Reply #511778 | Report this post

Dash  
Years ago

SAM not selected yet I believe. I would think that you would have 3 or 4 make the team. Maybe as many as 5 after the weekend. They beat Melbourne Tigers and their 5 VICM players, so probably can defend the shuffle pretty good I would assume.

Reply #511780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, then 18 Nationals will be very interesting in deed, can't wait for all the close games and upsets!

Reply #511781 | Report this post

Dash  
Years ago

With NSWM boys losing their best player, Tassie losing theirs, QLDS losing theirs and NZ never sending their best players, can SAM boys making the leap isn't that far fetched. They did similar last year.

Reply #511782 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Give us your potential starting 5 line up for SAM Dash, I would love to read their team list once they select the team but until then do you have something to add that we can look at?

Position and height!!

Reply #511783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear, please don't ask Dash - I expect them to give you the Sturt teamlist...

Reply #511785 | Report this post

Years ago

early days yet

Reply #511787 | Report this post

Dash  
Years ago

Bear,

Not sure, I haven't been out to watch any trainings. I'm more interested in seeing if people think the relative strength of the best team from each state has any correlation to results at State.

Reply #511788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt are currently 2nd after a full round of the season in South Australia

Reply #511866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dash, Sturt are not even the best team in SA. As the poster above explained Sturt are currently second. West are clearly the best team in the SA comp and didn't enter January tournament.

Club success in a tournament like that has nothing to do with State success at Nationals.

SAM will not even be close to a medal at Nationals.

Reply #511871 | Report this post

Years ago

early days yet - talk it up but too early

Reply #511872 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Years ago

I'm not sure a mid season game where the January Classic MVP wasn't playing, as well as numerous other players from both teams, would be a good indicator of who is the best team in SA.

Maybe wait till they play each other in a game that matters before that title is decided.

Reply #511876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really!!!, careful, your double blue is showing through.

Pretty sure West have played most of summer undermanned so far.

Also pretty sure a tournament win where not everyone is even entered, counts for little in deciding who is going to succeed at State.

Reply #511881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Predictions in the boys
NSW C
Vic M
QLD N
NZ
Vic C
SA M
Qld S
WA M (seeing Rob Beveridge is coaching)
NSW M
TAS
SA C
WA C
NT

Reply #511884 | Report this post

ACT  
Years ago

^ You forgot ACT

Reply #511887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, anonymous, I'm pretty sure Really!!! isn't just Sturt crowing - they mentioned that very important players from both teams (and probably THE best player from BOTH teams) didn't play that game. They just correctly pointed out for the West and Sturt woofers to cool their jets a little, as no important game between the clubs has been played yet.

Either way, it has zero bearing on state.

Reply #511901 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay then, so the only team lists so far have been released by Vic! Maybe we will have a better clue when other states release theirs...

NZ of course may wait even longer, but in the men I think NZ will be right up there.

From memory in the women SA had a pretty good team, can't recall if it was SAM or SAC though?

Reply #511911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QLD has released theirs:

U18 QLD North Men

Ethan Betts - Townsville
Damon Christensen - Rockhampton
Harry Froling - Townsville
Gedion Machando - Mackay
Joel Matysek - Cairns
William McDowell-White - Townsville
Jesse Milburn - Mackay
Charlton Offermans - Townsville
William Pugnale - Townsville
Edward Warrington - Townsville

U18 QLD South Men

Tom Fullarton, Suncoast Clippers
Tom Hains, Brisbane
Harrison Isaac, Northside
Will Magnay, Northside
Riley Martin, Brisbane
Nelson Rames, Uni Sunshine Coast
Nick Sarin, Brisbane
Sam Webster, Uni Sunshine Coast
Jack Williams, South West Metro
Verle Williams, South West Metro

Reply #511914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW to release their teams next week i'm told

Reply #511915 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Nice, anyone from QLD care to give us some possible starting 5's for those teams?

NSW teams will be very interesting to read too...

Reply #511918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2015 U18 VIC COUNTRY MEN'S TEAM

Players and Association

Sam Whelan, Maffra
Sam Short, Ballarat
Jordan O’Leary, Geelong
Tanna Blackney-Notter, Warrnambool
Tristan Lloyd, Warragul
Marko Vekic, Geelong
Oliver Bidmade, Warrnambool
Matthew Johns, Geelong
Tom Pupavac, Geelong
Tom Hurse, Maryborough

2015 U18 VIC METRO MEN’S TEAM

Players and Association

Pat Bines, Melbourne
Mate Colina, Melbourne
Nick Dane, Melbourne
Gabe Hadley, Diamond Valley
Ovie Magbegor, Coburg
Andrew Panayiotou, Melbourne
Jack Perry, Dandenong
Daniel Robertson, Eltham
Lachlan Signal, Dandenong
Josh Tang, Melbourne

Reply #511920 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Years ago

Wow anon. careful you don't fall down a cliff when you jump to that conclusion.

please not where I said.

'where the January Classic MVP wasn't playing, as well as numerous other players from both teams',

or

'Maybe wait till they play each other in a game that matters before that title is decided'

Maybe reading isn't your strong suit.

Reply #511925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"From memory in the women SA had a pretty good team, can't recall if it was SAM or SAC though?"

Bear - both teams were really good two years ago - SAM won siler, and SAC (I think) won bronze (they were definitely in the bronze game anyway against one of the NSW teams).

Reply #511938 | Report this post

eponymous  
Years ago

That Queensland North team, aside from having 2 top talents in Froling and WMW, should be a cohesive unit.

Reply #511939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With WMW and Froling they will be Top 4 for sure but not sure they have the all-round depth to win it. Will know more after NSW teams are named

Reply #511997 | Report this post

Really!!!  
Years ago

anon 511901

Why wouldnt club teams made up largely of state players have any relevance on results at nationals?

Reply #512003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW C won't win Men. NSWM will finish higher seeing Gruggen is coaching.

Reply #513373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2015 NSW COUNTRY U18 MEN

Myles Cherry Newcastle
Angus Glover Illawarra
William Howell Newcastle
Matt Kenyon Gosford
Patrick Lancaster Illawarra
Makuach Maluach Newcastle
Bailey O'Brien Illawarra
Joel Rauch Newcastle
Elliot Starr Port Macquarie
Kyle Zunic Illawarra

2015 NSW METRO U18 MEN

Grant Anticevich Bankstown
Dragan Elkaz Bankstown
Ciaron Fitzgerald Hills
Deng Gak Blacktown/CoE
Adam Lulka Penrith
Jayden Prakash Hills
Cameron Rutherford Bankstown
Brennan Rymer Norths
Louis Stenmark Norths
Noah Thomas City of Sydney

Reply #513395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are the Tas, SA and WA teams? Is there a NT team this year?

Reply #513396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

David Ingham has pushed the bottom age kids in both 18's and 16's and is loading up for the future. Watch all SA teams over the next couple of years. Some talented kids on the horizon.

Reply #513409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you honestly think NSWM without Isaac have any chance of beating that NSWC side then you obviously don't know much about the game

Reply #513420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting selection in the CV team....

Tanner Blackney-Noter, isn't he the son of Rebel Noter who is on the coaching staff ??

Reply #513422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #513409

none of those age groups outside of the top age 16 girls group have the talent for success. Hence at classics and 14 nationals they have had minimal success.

Reply #513434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon#442, Doc River's son plays for his NBA team too, is that also interesting to you?

Reply #513487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#422^

Reply #513488 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

SAM 16 women won nationals last year with a number of first years in it and if I recall correctly some great perimeter shooters. Promising for the women.

Reply #513504 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

#422 I am thinking that the head coach has the final say in selection, not one of the assistance you twat.

Reply #513524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ironically some come on here calling others a twat and spell assistant like a 4th grader....

Reply #513557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, noticed that, very ironical isn't it! Aaahhh Ashke, what can we say about you fella? Still, that comment #422 made was rather uncalled for.

Reply #513583 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yeah fair call, spelling never was my strong point!

Reply #513625 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@Ashke, I think this year's u18 Vic C men and women look rather strong and run fairly deep, IMHO that is... Certainly couldn't do a lot worse than they did two years ago in this age group anyway!

Reply #513696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A parent of an eligible player should never be on the panel of that age group at this level - there is just no excuse for it.

Reply #514042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon^ if a coach or an assistant coach is good enough to give up their time to mentor kids at this level and he or she happens to have a kid who is good enough to be considered for selection, what is it you propose is done?

Selection is merit based, your implying something only a person who has something to lose or vested interest in the kid not making the team implies.

Reply #514045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have them coach a different team. Simple.

Reply #514046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

046 is correct. You coach a different age group or gender.

Your mantra of "Selection is merit based" can be immediately questioned when selectors and athletes are related. The fact that nepotism can even be suggested means that there is a problem. I don't know anything about any of the VICC people involved, and have no opinion as to the selection of that team, but the fact that you had to defend it and implied I had something to lose, shows why it is a terrible idea. I don't have a vested interest other than seeing good "governance" over selections.
I can't believe the powers of VICC allowed it to happen. Terrible decison.

Reply #514072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see some reasonable discussion on the topic or point in this case without pathetic and childish name calling.

Reply #514090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched the player in question at the Country Cup in Albury and, in my unbiased opinion (i'm not Victorian), he deserves his selection in the team regardless of his father's coaching role. In saying that, its not a good look.

Reply #514114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree its not a good look, and those suggesting that the head coach has the final say etc have missed the point completely.

Reply #514118 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

@Bear, I think both teams will do a lot better than they did two years ago in Adelaide. On the men's side of things we will see the biggest difference IMO, and I honestly believe the women's side could medal. Both teams have great coaching staff, so it will be exciting to watch from the sidelines!

Reply #514125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are saying this is a good group. Have they got any Oceania or national teams for them over the next 12 months?

Reply #514149 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Anon^ these kids look like a very good crop, many talented players across the Aus teams, I don't know all the team lists but the ones I do know appear very deep and if there is an under 17 or 19 worlds coming up after the next crop I think we will see more top kids coming up.

The talent pool just keeps getting more exciting from what I can see.

I believe the u17 worlds and u19 worlds is every two years, so some kids reach the right age for one, maybe not both. @Ashke, if this is correct most of these kids will miss u17's next year but should be ripe for u19's the year after, is that how you see it?

Reply #514279 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:34 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754