Future Aussies in wnba?

I know we currently have:

Taylor at Mercury
Phillips at Mercury
Ohea at storm

Jarry potentially going back to Lynx
Jackson potentially going back to storm
Cambage potentially going back to shock

We seem to have an abundance of females currently that could make it in the wnba.
Who else do you think could fit into a roster this coming season?

Talbot? (Mercury draftee)
Mijovic? (Mystics draftee)
Allen?
Bishop?
Tolo?
Kunek?
Burton?
Etc...

Topic #36321 | Report this topic

Hoopie  
Years ago

Allen to me is a no-brainer. I just hope it doesn't cut down her creativity and flexibility by forcing her into a smaller role in a system.

Reply #511642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I expect tolo to get maybe a backup centre spot.

Reply #511673 | Report this post

Years ago

I would imagine Mariana will get some camp invites if not already.

Abby as well - is she still attached to Seattle ?

Bunton, Mijovic, Scherf all good sizes for wnba - time will tell if our young stars take the next few steps up.

Others on the horizon as well...

Reply #511741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kristy Wallace will be a future WNBA Draft pick.

Reply #511924 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just a matter of time for Allen you'd think. Mijovic also has a lot going for her with her shooting ability at 6'6. Talbot is an interesting one, her big strengths here are her physical tools but that won't translate to the WNBA so will have to keep developing her game, which she has this season.

Reply #511927 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Mitchell might go back to the WNBA this season after passing last year for the Opals.

Reply #511928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wallace is the only player I can see currently making It to the wnba coming out of the college system.

Sg/sf/Allen, c/tolo, pf/bishop, sf/Talbot I think will get roster spots, along with Jackson, cambage, Ohea and jarry.

Sg/Sf/Kunek, pf/mijovic, c/bunton, sf/Blicavs possibly further down the line.

Reply #511931 | Report this post

Years ago

tolo has proven herself to be able to match up nicely on griner - much like patty displayed he could mix it up with team usa - hey presto - doors open.

don't be surprised if tolo plays wnba this season.

Reply #511935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taylor and Phillips are both unrestricted free agents so could move on from the Mercury although leaving a championship team is unlikely.

Cambage and Jarry - both currently under injury clouds and Liz has shown little interest in going back to Tulsa and they have shown little interest in trading her for 5 cents in the dollar. Jarry hasn't played much in the last 2 years and didn't look like a skillful guard at the World Champs or big enough to play inside. A lot of potential there although she will need to get her body right. If they both don't go to the wnba this season will they also miss the season after with Opals commitments?

Lambieer isn't a big fan of Mitchell and was part of the reason she didn't play last season. He has the coaches gig again so not sure what she'll do.

Tolo proved she can guard legit wnba bigs with her play at the world champs and in Europe. This makes her a solid wnba rotation player and there is talk of her getting a gig with a few teams.

Abby - Storm's backup big from last year ARob is pregnant so there is a spot and their new coach Jenny has spent time in Oz so would know how dominant Abby is over here. Abby is tied to the storm and if she wants to play will need to attend the strom training camp.

LJ - I read she may need further treatment on her knee after the wnbl season... Not sure what her plans are.

O'Hea - with the coaching change not sure if she is part of the Storms plans although she was solid for them the 2nd half of last season.

Mijovic - on paper she has every tool you'd want being 6"6 with mobility and shooting range. That said she hasn't made an impact on the worst team in the wnbl this season nor the season before with Canberra. Not sure what is missing here.....

Allen - perfect modern day 3 and D player. She will just need to choose a team that moves the ball around and will hit her for open jump shots as some teams can rely a lot on their individual stars to make iso plays (like the nba in the 90s). Her game off the dribble could continue to improve. san antonio stars would be a good fit.

Reply #511963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mijovic is a skilled shooter with good size. (6'6). But other than that.. She is not a good defender, rebounder, shot blocker or tough/physical pf. She needs a lot of work imo.
Bunton has more of shot in the short term...

Reply #511968 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"That said she hasn't made an impact on the worst team in the wnbl this season nor the season before with Canberra. Not sure what is missing here...."

She's young and raw, a bad combo when you're on bad teams. She's still like a pup growing into her body. If she's prepared to work really hard there's a good living in basketball for her, and perhaps some time in a quality program would be a good move.

Reply #511971 | Report this post

Michael  
Years ago

Cayla Francis...will def be going

Reply #511982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mijovic had plenty of time at AIS to develop except they ran her as a shooting guard, she goes into teams as a centre which she can't handle, it's not the program she needs but training in a position that suits her.

Reply #511984 | Report this post

Years ago

where may tolo play ?

Reply #511985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Tolo is smart she will stay in Europe where the money is for women

Reply #511993 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

She can do both.

Reply #512016 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yeah, definitely no reason Tolo couldn't do both.
Having "WNBA rotation player" on your resume translates to some nice extra dollars in Europe.

Agree that someone should give Bec a shot.

Not convinced about Carley

Not yet convinced about Steph either but I actually think the WNBA would suit her, so I hope she gives Phoenix a try this season.

I can't imagine Penny playing anywhere but Phoenix, but I could see Erin moving in search of a bigger role. Recruited as their starting PG, she ended up coming off the bench last season. As a Merc fan I hope she stays put, but her stock would still be reasonably high I think if she wanted more minutes.

Reply #512045 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:18 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754